ADVERTISEMENT

The truth about Steve Alford

Think if Archie had lost Romeo, Phinessee and Hunter in October and Archie got fired for it!! This is what happened to Alford.

While IU's initial injuries weren't quite that serious, IU's accumulation of injuries that really hurt
O'Neal is in the same ballpark as Hunter
Thyger Campbell was not that highly rated and at best was probably a similar impact loss as Race for IU (slightly lower rated, but had a year RS year)
Olesinski's absence kind of hurt, but he's never been an impact player in a competitive game. Limited De'Ron probably hurt IU more than Olensiski's complete absence hurt UCLA.
Even if UCLA's injuries were a little more significant, the bigger problem was that UCLA was getting blown out by any team with a pulse and lost to Belmont/Liberty at home. IU started tanking when Phinesee/Roberts were also injured and Davis was completely unavailable, and even with that IU was still player better than UCLA was with Alford, IU was just playing a much tougher schedule at the time so was accumulating more losses

Reactions: minneman
2013–14 UCLA 28–9 12–6 2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2014–15 UCLA 22–14 11–7 4th NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2015–16 UCLA 15–17 6–12 10th
2016–17 UCLA 31–5 15–3 3rd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2017–18 UCLA 21–12 11–7 T-3rd NCAA Division I First Four
2018–19 UCLA 7–6[a] 0–0

IF ARchie had done this at IU the statue would already be built. A sweet sixteen in his first year and his second year then top 5 recruiting classes. Alford has a bad season then is hammered with injuries this year and he can't coach. I will bet anyone on this site that ARchies next 5 years will not be as good as Alfords five at UCLA, would anyone care to wager on that.
Iu just fired a guy less than two years ago with similar results except he actually won his conference regular season twice....so spare me the bs.

This is a lie because you have to remember what teams were in the Atlantic 10 when Archie was coaching!!!!!! Many teams left the Atlantic 10 such as Villanova, Temple, West Virginia. This is a total lie.

Villanova, Temple, West Virginia. Ok, let's take a look:

Villanova was a charter member of the A-10 (back when it was called the Eastern Eight) from 1975-80. They won 3 NCAA Tournament games as A-10 members, but the statement above specified from 1985, not prior. So those 3 wins don't count in the total.

West Virginia was a member of the A-10 from 1976-95. They won 1 NCAA Tournament game during their time there that qualifies (1989).

Temple was an A-10 member from 1982-2013. They won 24 NCAA Tournament games in the "since 1985" time frame.

So take off 25 wins from the totals listed above:

Mountain West 21
Pac-12 35
A-10 51

Even with those teams stripped away, the A-10 nearly had as many as the other two conferences COMBINED.

You need to work on your facts better Vic . . .

Why don't we just go back to 1950 for stats going back to 1980 was dumb, I presented a graph from 2000 go read it if in fact you know how to read.
As you can plainly see, I did not respond to your graph from 2000. Instead I responded to your stupid rant about 3 teams that left the A10, thereby leaving the A10 much weaker when Archie coached at Dayton as you so weakly attempted to point out.. The fact that 2 of the 3 teams you named were not in the A10 at any time just shows how lazy and stupid your posts are.

Nobody here hates ARchie Miller, me included, however there are LOTS OF PEOPLE here that do in fact hate Alford for no apparent reason and make conclusions that he is a terrible coach when in fact his coaching record is the same as ARchies and his recruiting record is very good.
I dont hate Archie, I just hate you. Its a damn shame that you cant fix stupid.

Villanova was a charter member of the A-10 (back when it was called the Eastern Eight) from 1975-80. They won 3 NCAA Tournament games as A-10 members, but the statement above specified from 1985, not prior. So those 3 wins don't count in the total.

West Virginia was a member of the A-10 from 1976-95. They won 1 NCAA Tournament game during their time there that qualifies (1989).

Temple was an A-10 member from 1982-2013. They won 24 NCAA Tournament games in the "since 1985" time frame.

Mountain West 21
Pac-12 35
A-10 51

Even with those teams stripped away, the A-10 nearly had as many as the other two conferences COMBINED.

The ATlantic 10 has won a total of 31 NCAA games since 2000 just a bit more than the Mountain West. The conference sucks ok.

Iu just fired a guy less than two years ago with similar results except he actually won his conference regular season twice....so spare me the bs.
Crean got fired cause his recruiting started to really suck, if you can't see that then you are clueless

Archie Miller inherited a roster at IU that shouldn't have won 3 games in the B1G last year.
The chronic injury bug that has afflicted IU this year is like none I've ever seen any program have, certainly never at IU.

Really????

So if a coach could lead last years squad to 3 BT wins he was doing the improbable?

And this IU team had a "chronic injury bug " that is like none (you've) ever seen any program have, certainly never at IU.

That's pure hyperbole.

Who did IU lose to injury this year that we know is a great college player? Hunter? Did we lose a starter key to a team's success like an Alan Henderson, or a Scott May?

I have heard of making excuses before, but I cannot see how any rational person could grade out Coach Miller's first two seasons as being even remotely successful.

I'd give him a C- for last year
This year is an F.

Put Bo Ryan on IU's bench for the last two seasons and IU easily makes the NCAA last year, and competes for the B10 title this season......IMHO, of course.

Reactions: trailrunner
While IU's initial injuries weren't quite that serious, IU's accumulation of injuries that really hurt
O'Neal is in the same ballpark as Hunter
Thyger Campbell was not that highly rated and at best was probably a similar impact loss as Race for IU (slightly lower rated, but had a year RS year)
Olesinski's absence kind of hurt, but he's never been an impact player in a competitive game. Limited De'Ron probably hurt IU more than Olensiski's complete absence hurt UCLA.
Even if UCLA's injuries were a little more significant, the bigger problem was that UCLA was getting blown out by any team with a pulse and lost to Belmont/Liberty at home. IU started tanking when Phinesee/Roberts were also injured and Davis was completely unavailable, and even with that IU was still player better than UCLA was with Alford, IU was just playing a much tougher schedule at the time so was accumulating more losses
Belmont is 24-4 this year hardly Indiana State or IPFW or Nebraska.

Really????

So if a coach could lead last years squad to 3 BT wins he was doing the improbable?

And this IU team had a "chronic injury bug " that is like none (you've) ever seen any program have, certainly never at IU.

That's pure hyperbole.

Who did IU lose to injury this year that we know is a great college player? Hunter? Did we lose a starter key to a team's success like an Alan Henderson, or a Scott May?

I have heard of making excuses before, but I cannot see how any rational person could grade out Coach Miller's first two seasons as being even remotely successful.

This year is an F.

Put Bo Ryan on IU's bench for the last two seasons and IU easily makes the NCAA last year, and competes for the B10 title this season......IMHO, of course.
Sweet Sixteen first two years Alford = getting fired
No NCAA berth first two years Archie= excuses

How can anyone not recruit to UCLA thats like the Lamborghini of all coaching destinations.

I'll Pass on Alford...

Ever asked a Lamborghini to set a pick for a honda accord? Recruiting is not a one dimensional list that pundants would have us believe.
Painter and Beilein have this well figured out.

If you coach at UCLA you had better be a really good talent evaluator because it is a revolving door and you won't be generating a lot of senior leaders there.

Ever asked a Lamborghini to set a pick for a honda accord? Recruiting is not a one dimensional list that pundants would have us believe.

If you coach at UCLA you had better be a really good talent evaluator because it is a revolving door and you won't be generating a lot of senior leaders there.
Whatever you say pal. It's not an easy place to win at, but apparently neither is IU.

If anyone here thinks Archie will go to 3 sweet sixteens in the next 5 years I will entertain a wager.

HIs facts suck if he's trying to compare the Atlantic 10 to the Pac 10 by going back to 1980 that is dumb.
You still do not see it? Jesus Christ! Are you 5 freaking years old or what? You are trying to discredit the A10 by saying that 3 teams counted tournament wins for the A10 but since they left the A10 it is a weaker conference now. The only problem with your thinking is that the teams you named WERE NOT IN the A10 at all!

You still do not see it? Jesus Christ! Are you 5 freaking years old or what? You are trying to discredit the A10 by saying that 3 teams counted tournament wins for the A10 but since they left the A10 it is a weaker conference now. The only problem with your thinking is that the teams you named WERE NOT IN the A10 at all!

It seems everyone is placing a lot of faith in Romeo Langford. I don't see this IU team much better than last year. The questions for me are does a second year with Miller make that much difference, is Romeo dominant as a freshman, and does IU have an inside presence on defense.
Can I buy some pot from you?

8 HoosiersChamps, Oct 11, 2018
Nice one Hoosier Champs you are so smart arent' u, idiot

It seems everyone is placing a lot of faith in Romeo Langford. I don't see this IU team much better than last year. The questions for me are does a second year with Miller make that much difference, is Romeo dominant as a freshman, and does IU have an inside presence on defense.
Can I buy some pot from you?

8 HoosiersChamps, Oct 11, 2018
Nice one Hoosier Champs you are so smart arent' u, idiot
Um. I am trying to see what you are getting at with this. Care to explain the relevance of this old reply of mine and what it has to do with anything?

Um. I am trying to see what you are getting at with this. Care to explain the relevance of this old reply of mine and what it has to do with anything?
A guy said that he didn't think IU would be much better in Archies 2nd year, your reply "can I buy some pot from you". You know nothing dude, you are completely clueless.

Sweet Sixteen first two years Alford = getting fired
No NCAA berth first two years Archie= excuses

I won't read all your repetitive drivel, but anywhere did you at all factor in that Alford is a smug, arrogrant prick who wears his religion on his sleeve and managed to wear out his welcome in Westwood in his opening press conference? There could hardly be a more mismatched personality of a coach and fanbase... maybe Billy Gillespie if he went to Liberty.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
I won't read all your repetitive drivel, but anywhere did you at all factor in that Alford is a smug, arrogrant prick who wears his religion on his sleeve and managed to wear out his welcome in Westwood in his opening press conference? There could hardly be a more mismatched personality of a coach and fanbase... maybe Billy Gillespie if he went to Liberty.
YOu an atheist bro?? So what if he's a Christian.

Thanks for making my point people don't like Alford cause he's a Christian, he's arrogant, parts his hair in the middle, is white from Indiana.

Really????

That's pure hyperbole.

This year is an F.

Bo Ryan is a systems coach. You know why he was so successful early at Wisconsin? He took over after Bennett, which ran the exact same system. You know who else ran that system? Came from his coaching tree? Bennett used and perfected the packline. No used it and was passed on to Tony. What I’m saying is Wisconsin stayed with guys who ran that system and it shows. IU hasn’t stayed with any system. The Millers use a very similar system. Takes time to implement that system.

Bo Ryan is a systems coach. You know why he was so successful early at Wisconsin? He took over after Bennett, which ran the exact same system. You know who else ran that system? Came from his coaching tree? Bennett used and perfected the packline. No used it and was passed on to Tony. What I’m saying is Wisconsin stayed with guys who ran that system and it shows. IU hasn’t stayed with any system. The Millers use a very similar system. Takes time to implement that system.
System or not you should never lose 12/14 games with our roster......

Reactions: fpeaugh
No, they don't. A lot of people say he's a rapist enabler. That's different than a "lover." He made more mistakes than just believing him. On top of that, he still shows no remorse.

I haven't seen a single post claiming that he's a "rapist lover." That's just ridiculous. Care to link one?
When you say he enabled what exactly do you mean? Was he the look out? Did he trick to girl to get her alone with Pierce? Tell me how exactly Steve enabled the young man to rape that girl?

No, I've never spoken to a Lamborghini. Not in person, I've hit a couple up on Instagram......

When you say he enabled what exactly do you mean? Was he the look out? Did he trick to girl to get her alone with Pierce? Tell me how exactly Steve enabled the young man to rape that girl?
You really don't know what an enabler is in regards to abuse or criminality? Fine, here's the definition.
Merriam-Webster said:
enabler
noun
en·abler | \ i-ˈnā-blər , -bᵊl-ər\
Definition of enabler

: one that enables another to achieve an end
especially : one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (such as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior
Don't forget that Pierce was arrested again while at Iowa for attacking and robbing his ex.

For the record, what you described would be considered an accomplice.

People like to cast stones despite what facts they know or do not know. SA would have been smart to have kept his support of PP out of the media. No one knew when he voiced support that the kid was guilty. It was a poor choice but it was more about a coach standing behind one of his player and not someone conspiring against a victim.

People like to cast stones despite what facts they know or do not know. SA would have been smart to have kept his support of PP out of the media. No one knew when he voiced support that the kid was guilty. It was a poor choice but it was more about a coach standing behind one of his player and not someone conspiring against a victim.
I beg to differ. Alford ignored the advice from his AD on how to address the situation. Instead of keeping quiet about it, he often used his access to the media to talk about Pierce's "innocence" and discredit the victim in an effort to turn public opinion against her. This was an attempt to infiltrate and silence her that way. Alford did that for years. He also tried intimidate the victim into silence by having his friend who ran the local Athletes In Action meet her under the pretense of a pray meeting and tell her to back off and threaten her. So it was not simply saying once something along the lines of, "I believe the word of my player." It was a continuous effort of using his public position to intimidate and discredit the victim so she'd be silent.

Even after Pierce took a plea deal Alford kept him on the team. It was for a lesser charge but he admitted guilt.

This fostered an environment in which Pierce was allowed to stay until a couple of years later he was arrested, charged, and plead guilty to multiple different charges including assault with intent to commit sexual assault.

What a great guy.

Mountain West 21
Pac-12 35
A-10 51

I think the important thing in this conference debate is how tough the conferences were during Alford and Millers' time at their schools.

Alford played 16 games vs ranked Mountain West foes going 11-5. Of those, 11 games were played against teams ranked in the top 16 of the AP Poll, and 5 of them were played against top 10 teams.

Miller went 2-0 vs A-10 ranked foes (#17 and #22).

I'm not into the whole Alford thing anymore, but his time at UNM coincided with a mini golden era of Mountain West Hoops. Alford was fantastic there! I followed them very closely and it was really fun basketball with really connected teams. Honestly, those who refuse to admit what a great job he did at UNM are simply ignorant (which is okay, it is the Mountain West) or basketball idiots (which is okay too, this is a message board):)

He has done better than IU has done since 2002 reaching final sixteen four times. Since Wooden retired UCLA has had nine coaches so something of a revolving door and average tenure of 5 years and he was right at 5 years. If I w
which will both be beaten by japanese and german cars. man, you really are living in the past
wrong again. If you look at track times you will find an American car besting the Germans also...and Japan? Are you speaking of the grr. Can’t be the new Supra. You are living in the millennial bs times.

He has done better than IU has done since 2002 reaching final sixteen four times. Since Wooden retired UCLA has had nine coaches so something of a revolving door and average tenure of 5 years and he was right at 5 years. If I w

wrong again. If you look at track times you will find an American car besting the Germans also...and Japan? Are you speaking of the grr. Can’t be the new Supra. You are living in the millennial bs times.
GTR

Yes but the Lamborghini couldn’t set a pick for s$#t so the accord buried a step back three for the win

This was a very funny question so thanks.

UCLA is a basketball nightmare for a coach. Can you imagine trying to coach one of the Ball brothers and keep him out of trouble?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT