ADVERTISEMENT

If IU had only weathered the storm we’d have 3-4 more titles

Harry Hondo

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
Sampson is going to win his first title this year. Houston just destroyed Kansas by 30 today. He’s the best coach in college ball right now and with IU’s resources I truly believe he could’ve won at least 3 titles here. And IU wouldn’t be in this situation right now.. Davis tenure and the Knight firing would be just an afterthought.

Freaking out over a few texts seems so f’kn silly in 2024.

Sampson is going to win his first title this year. Houston just destroyed Kansas by 30 today. He’s the best coach in college ball right now and with IU’s resources I truly believe he could’ve won at least 3 titles here. And IU wouldn’t be in this situation right now.. Davis tenure and the Knight firing would be just an afterthought.

I think UConn wins title this year, but I concur IU steps on its own root again and again- it’s terrible choice after terrible choice

Last edited:

If IU had tried covering up for Sampson, he'd still have gotten the show cause and IU would have gotten a 3 year post season and TV ban for lack of institutional control. Kelvin was a dead man walking as soon as the rumors broke he'd been caught cheating again. Sampson was a complete scumbag and IU was alseep at the switch hiring a known cheater then not supervising him AT ALL.

If IU had tried covering up for Sampson, he'd still have gotten the show cause and IU would have gotten a 3 year post season and TV ban for lack of institutional control. Kelvin was a dead man walking as soon as the rumors broke he'd been caught cheating again. Sampson was a complete scumbag and IU was alseep at the switch hiring a known cheater then not supervising him AT ALL.
Yeah, texting a recruit is such a scumbag thing to do 😂

Kansas State I believe

Actually, I think the larger point is that IU in 2006 was actually serious about hiring a great coach who could actually win big and bring titles back to IU. Not since, though.
I think they have been serious about a great coach but not smart enough to recognize one. Plus the politics involved with the latest hire. To me the administration has been the problem since the termination of RMK.

Actually, I think the larger point is that IU in 2006 was actually serious about hiring a great coach who could actually win big and bring titles back to IU. Not since, though.
IU as an institution is serious about one thing, where athletics is concerned.....cash. As long as that is rolling in, there is no problem.....all is well. Sometimes....the best course of action is to say "No"..."....I care too much about you to participate in your charade or endorse your poor decision-making"...."I have to step away (financially) until you come to your senses".

The Kelvin thing is a shame. Not worth rehashing the text/call issue.

Kelvin also had a recruiting issue. He was taking too many high character risk players. I empathize with guys with tough backgrounds like Jamarcus, there can be a place for them, but the team was out of control and the culture was a disaster. Bud Mackey didn’t even make it here. There are plenty of other stories out there too that were not good.

I don’t know why Kevin was so reckless. It could have been a great run.
lucy lost a man but it moved on

Kelvin also had a recruiting issue. He was taking too many high character risk players. I empathize with guys with tough backgrounds like Jamarcus, there can be a place for them, but the team was out of control and the culture was a disaster. Bud Mackey didn’t even make it here. There are plenty of other stories out there too that were not good.

I don’t know why Kelvin was so reckless. It could have been a great run.

Last edited:

He didn’t get banned by the NCAA for a few texts. He was placed on probation and was told not to make three-way calls as one of the terms of his probation. He did it anyway then lied to the NCAA. The man had a target on his back when we hired him and he gave them the rope to hang him.

3 or 4 titles is fantasy...
But a good winning program. And probably a final four appearance...
Sampson has a major ego.. ..And I meet him..

When will people give up on the Sampson/IU stuff? It’s a completely different era. I wish it didn’t happen, wish it had worked out but it didn’t.

Reactions: kkott and Al Bino
It's true we couldn't of kept Samspon but the next hire should of been better then Crean. Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes, Jamie Dixon, Jay Wright, just to name a few.

Though, it's also possible that blue chip coaches aren't interested in coaching here. Dealing with fans' mood swings may be too much for some to handle.

Dolson went after the Masshole, but as for other targets, we just don't know...

It's true we couldn't have kept Samspon but the next hire should have been better then Crean. Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes, Jamie Dixon, Jay Wright, just to name a few.
certainty, at that time we didn’t have the reputation of a futile program living off our glories from decades ago. After Sampson they could’ve gone for another high profile coach, but they went with the safe guy who will win enough to keep the heat off them.

Though, it's also possible that blue chip coaches aren't interested in coaching here. Dealing with fans' mood swings may be too much for some to handle.

Dolson went after the Masshole, but as for other targets, we just don't know...
Just stop with the blame fans crap!

Reactions: Al Bino
Looking back it's clear IU hasn't done well, but I don't know how many coaches were itching to come in after Sampson pre-NIL. Archie was supposed to be a great pick. Woodson was a bad gamble but I do think they've been trying.

Reactions: Al Bino

yeah at the time nobody here wanted to keep him though. great coach. probably not a perfect fit for B-town.

I don’t know why Kelvin was so reckless. It could have been a great run.
Cheating and being slimy become habits that one can't break.

It's true we couldn't of kept Samspon but the next hire should of been better then Crean. Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes, Jamie Dixon, Jay Wright, just to name a few.
Not interested enough to go look, but at the time, I don't think those were better names. Crean had already been to a F4, I don't think any of them had. Not to say they weren't better, but they weren't obvious. Which is why I keep saying put together a smart committee and turn over every rock. Interview every one who might be a decent candidate. Duke wasn't looking at K until they happened to call Coach Knight and he suggested they look at a modestly successful Coach at Army.

certainty, at that time we didn’t have the reputation of a futile program living off our glories from decades ago. After Sampson they could’ve gone for another high profile coach, but they went with the safe guy who will win enough to keep the heat off them.

So you REALLY think that the AD and probably the Pres sat around and discussed who the next coach would be and their main criteria was who was safe? You really believe that????

IIRC, at that time, it was talked about how few coaches would want to deal with bringing a program back to life after IU and Sampson burnt it down.

Before the B1G tournament starts...IU should hold a practice. That practice should consist of one thing...the entire team, including the coaches, sitting in the bleachers. On the jumbotron, maybe there is a recording of last year's championship game playing. Give them popcorn and coke if it makes you feel better. then, sit there as spectators in March....in preparation for being.....spectators in March. Even when you are doing what you do best....you need practice.

Before the B1G tournament starts...IU should hold a practice. That practice should consist of one thing...the entire team, including the coaches, sitting in the bleachers. On the jumbotron, maybe there is a recording of last year's championship game playing. Give them popcorn and coke if it makes you feel better. then, sit there as spectators in March....in preparation for being.....spectators in March.

Outside of maybe making you feel better, that would accomplish what?
You think CMW is going to awake from his stupor and the proverbial light is going to go off above his head and next year he will be a better coach?

Cheating and being slimy become habits that one can't break.
When you hire someone that is slimy and a known cheater, and you pretty much have to go out of your way to find a coach like that, what is the message?

IMHO, we tried to emulate Oklahoma. And, thankfully it blew up in IUs face.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
Outside of maybe making you feel better, that would accomplish what?
You think CMW is going to awake from his stupor and the proverbial light is going to go off above his head and next year he will be a better coach?
Everybody needs practice....As for me....I'm practicing my sarcasm. As a coping skill, its my 3 point shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT