ADVERTISEMENT

If IU had only weathered the storm we’d have 3-4 more titles

Yeah, texting a recruit is such a scumbag thing to do 😂
Problem is more than half the fanbase agrees with him. That’s why we are here today! Scumbag Sampson!!!

You think a Houston fan has ever called him a scumbag? I bet there isn’t even one in the world you could find.

IU is a joke.

Reactions: kmathum
When you hire someone that is slimy and a known cheater, and you pretty much have to go out of your way to find a coach like that, what is the message?

IMHO, we tried to emulate Oklahoma. And, thankfully it blew up in IUs face.
Yes thankfully. These last 20 years have been glorious. But atleast people think of us as a high character institution. 😭😭😭😭

If IU had tried covering up for Sampson, he'd still have gotten the show cause and IU would have gotten a 3 year post season and TV ban for lack of institutional control. Kelvin was a dead man walking as soon as the rumors broke he'd been caught cheating again. Sampson was a complete scumbag and IU was alseep at the switch hiring a known cheater then not supervising him AT ALL.
When you are winning, anything can be overlooked...drug use, poor academics...repeated instances of rules violations. But hey, we're winning...for a time.

Kelvin was a cheat but he probably felt a lot of pressure to win big immediately thus throwing caution to the wind, as does anyone who takes the job. Unfortunately, fans have no patience.

Yeah, texting a recruit is such a scumbag thing to do 😂
I know people don't like Dan Dakich on here. But Dan worked for the former scumbag in question. Dan said this, "It wasn't just text messages. There was a lot of cheating going on with him". So we have to ask ourselves a question. Do we want to win at any cost if the cost is our integrity as a program and school? One of my greatest thoughts is that IU won the title in 87 when 1. Knight would not cheat at all 2. Boeheim was a known cheater and got his butt beat by the non cheater Knight.

Kelvin was a cheat but he probably felt a lot of pressure to win big immediately thus throwing caution to the wind, as does anyone who takes the job. Unfortunately, fans have no patience.
Crean got three years to rebuild with great support from the fans.

Kelvin did a great job and got a lot out of his 2007 team. Ended with an honorable 2nd round loss to UCLA. He wasn’t feeling much pressure after that start.

It’s too bad he went off the rails.

Last edited:
I know people don't like Dan Dakich on here. But Dan worked for the former scumbag in question. Dan said this, "It wasn't just text messages. There was a lot of cheating going on with him". So we have to ask ourselves a question. Do we want to win at any cost if the cost is our integrity as a program and school? One of my greatest thoughts is that IU won the title in 87 when 1. Knight would not cheat at all 2. Boeheim was a known cheater and got his butt beat by the non cheater Knight.
IMO Knight is the best because he didn’t cheat like Wooden and K.

Sampson is going to win his first title this year. Houston just destroyed Kansas by 30 today. He’s the best coach in college ball right now and with IU’s resources I truly believe he could’ve won at least 3 titles here. And IU wouldn’t be in this situation right now.. Davis tenure and the Knight firing would be just an afterthought.

Freaking out over a few texts seems so f’kn silly in 2024.
It was silly the very next year, when the NCAA “legalized” it

Crean got three years to rebuild with great support from the fans.

Kelvin did a great job and got a lot out of his 2007 team. Ended with an honorable 2nd round loss to UCLA. He wasn’t feeling much pressure after that start.

It’s too bad he went off the rails.
It was frustrating to me because he didn't have to cheat. IU sells itself. You just have to cooperate and run a clean program.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
It was frustrating to me because he didn't have to cheat. IU sells itself. You just have to cooperate and run a clean program.
He could have kept it cleaner and been fine. The dumb stuff he was doing didn’t have much positive impact at all (to offset the big negative impact).

Reactions: VanPastorMan
He could have kept it cleaner and been fine. The dumb stuff he was doing didn’t have much positive impact at all (to offset the big negative impact).
I heard a story that they had some event at a golf course and Sampson and an assistant had a handful of phones that the threw away at that event. Probably not true but the guy swore it happened. In true IU fashion it could’ve. That’s how sad this has become. What to believe?

Christian Watford.

Good luck getting that whole scene out of your head now.
Christian Watford? Same guy who lost to Kentucky in the NCAA tourney 102-90? (on their way to their 3rd title since indiana's last in 1987). What's he doing these days?

Christian Watford? Same guy who lost to Kentucky in the NCAA tourney 102-90? (on their way to their 3rd title since indiana's last in 1987). What's he doing these days?
Why are you arguing with them? Don’t you have a top 15 team to root for? Maybe UK will play some defense and get back to going further than the first weekend. Sheesh bud you’ve gotten bad at trolling.

Pearl was the same at UTenn.
Same for Roy Williams when he arrived at UNC, a very paranoid individual.

IU as an institution is serious about one thing, where athletics is concerned.....cash. As long as that is rolling in, there is no problem.....all is well. Sometimes....the best course of action is to say "No"..."....I care too much about you to participate in your charade or endorse your poor decision-making"...."I have to step away (financially) until you come to your senses".
Do as you wish.

Problem is more than half the fanbase agrees with him. That’s why we are here today! Scumbag Sampson!!!

You think a Houston fan has ever called him a scumbag? I bet there isn’t even one in the world you could find.

IU is a joke.
RMK had no respect for Kelvin. Many flyby handshakes after Oklahoma TTU “ clock gate “ Then to hire him was another slight to RMK from IU

Why are you arguing with them? Don’t you have a top 15 team to root for? Maybe UK will play some defense and get back to going further than the first weekend. Sheesh bud you’ve gotten bad at trolling.
Give him a break — there’s nothing going on at the Rafters now that most have reached their final stage of grief & realize they can never get rid of Cal. We may not be that far away.

If IU had tried covering up for Sampson, he'd still have gotten the show cause and IU would have gotten a 3 year post season and TV ban for lack of institutional control. Kelvin was a dead man walking as soon as the rumors broke he'd been caught cheating again. Sampson was a complete scumbag and IU was alseep at the switch hiring a known cheater then not supervising him AT ALL.
These "should have kept Sampson" posts pop up from time to time despite the fact that IU couldn't have kept him as coach even if they wanted to. Plus, the academics and drug problems were about to hit the news and the team would have been decimated from that as well. The entire thing is a joke. IU's biggest mistake was hiring him in the first place.

Last edited:
These "should have kept Sampson" posts pop up from time to time despite the fact that IU couldn't have kept him as coach even if they wanted to.
That implies that the NCAA miraculously found out about the call(s) on their own. A student worker had the info & pushed it forward. Several ex-players were angry that an ex-player was not hired and wanted KS gone & may have “helped”. I was in the camp that didn’t like the hire or the way it was executed but I would not have sabotaged the program.

These "should have kept Sampson" posts pop up from time to time despite the fact that IU couldn't have kept him as coach even if they wanted to. Plus, the academics and drug problems were about to hit the news and the team would have been decimated from that as well. The entire thing is a joke. IU's biggest mistake was hiring him in the first place.
And exactly why couldn't we have kept him? I think the original poster mentioned something about weathering the storm. You know kind of like what Kansas UNC and numerous others have done.

That implies that the NCAA miraculously found out about the call(s) on their own. A student worker had the info & pushed it forward. Several ex-players were angry that an ex-player was not hired and wanted KS gone & may have “helped”. I was in the camp that didn’t like the hire or the way it was executed but I would not have sabotaged the program.
You ever notice a certain assistant came out unscathed? (Was used) and is now a shock jock with an anti-IU agenda? 😉 also a watchdog was involved too. No way IU wasn’t self reporting. IU cut its best deal before the ncaa was toothless.

And exactly why couldn't we have kept him? I think the original poster mentioned something about weathering the storm. You know kind of like what Kansas UNC and numerous others have done.
He was slapped with a five year “show cause” penalty. We couldn’t have kept him and no college could hire him which is why he coached in the NBA for five years. Claiming IU could have kept him is purely revisionist history. Drugs and academics shit was about to hit the fan as well. Hiring Sampson was IU’s biggest mistake since firing Knight.

They found out. Sampson was done for after that. Fact. Sampson sabotaged the program. He should never be forgiven for that.

I’d name the ex-players involved, but other than this one situation I respect & like them. One of them had been attending Purdue games wearing Purdue gear, similar to people buying Texas Tech gear to protest RMK’s dismissal.

Let’s be clear. Knight played games too. Not to their extent.
Sure a little here and there but they were a whole different stratosphere.

RMK had some anger and player abuse issues too obviously that were tolerated. IU gets a bit too pious sometimes when we consider coaches (and I’m excusing or advocating Beard fwiw).

Last edited:
He was slapped with a five year “show cause” penalty. We couldn’t have kept him and no college could hire him which is why he coached in the NBA for five years. Claiming IU could have kept him is purely revisionist history. Drugs and academics shit was about to hit the fan as well. Hiring Sampson was IU’s biggest mistake since firing Knight.
You still haven't explained why Kansas Unc Kentucky and numerous others have been able to stone wall the NCAA but Indiana was unable to. I personally think it was a case of we had the way but not the will.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT