ADVERTISEMENT

The truth about Steve Alford

hoosier.lobo

Newcomer
Mar 30, 2007
I have been watching a lot of inaccurate verbage or poorly thought out arguments being posted about Alford on this board. Here are some real facts. Steve is one of only 9 coaches to reach Sweet Sixteen 3 times in last 5 years. Steve did struggle this season with 4 players out due to injury 3 that we're projected starters. Very few players have ever left a Steve Alford coached team early except to go to NBA. He will own recruiting in Indiana if he coaches here. Many people who know Steve well would tell you he is not this bad person he has been made out to be by Iowa and UCLA trolls.

Why do you suppose he would do better at IU than he did at Iowa?

I have been watching a lot of inaccurate verbage or poorly thought out arguments being posted about Alford on this board. Here are some real facts. Steve is one of only 9 coaches to reach Sweet Sixteen 3 times in last 5 years. Steve did struggle this season with 4 players out due to injury 3 that we're projected starters. Very few players have ever left a Steve Alford coached team early except to go to NBA. He will own recruiting in Indiana if he coaches here. Many people who know Steve well would tell you he is not this bad person he has been made out to be by Iowa and UCLA trolls.
You joined this site in 2007 but this is only your first post? Please explain that and why you think that Alford is still relevant in Indiana.

Don’t forget those sweet sixteens were at major conferences, except for SWMO. Sean Miller has done no better than Alford and that’s a fact. Alford has also not been on a FBI wire tap.

I have been an IU fan from the mid 70's and yes I would love to see a player from IU coach this team. I think he still has deep ties in this state and has lured top players from Indiana to every school he coached SWMS.....Brandon Miller and Kevin Ault....Iowa Brody Boyd and Luke Recker....New Mexico Darius Gary and UCLA Wills. Many on this board do not remember him as a player but he owned the Hall and he was not known around campus as a jerk.

Don’t forget those sweet sixteens were at major conferences, except for SWMO. Sean Miller has done no better than Alford and that’s a fact. Alford has also not been on a FBI wire tap.
Sean miller has been farther in the ncaa tournament than Alford 4 times....and alford has been a d1 head coach for almost a decade longer. People butcher miller for not making a final four, yet hes made it a round farther than Alford ever has on 4 occasions. Hell, you could make the argument that miller did more at xavier alone than Alford has in his whole career. Stop posting.

What does Sean Miller have to do with IU. Curious why you want me to stop posting? Because I do not live on the forum you cast judgement on me. I have watch 1000's of IU games and have every right to respectfully post my opinions.
Ask victor, he brought it up in response # 4.

giphy.gif

What does Sean Miller have to do with IU. Curious why you want me to stop posting? Because I do not live on the forum you cast judgement on me. I have watch 1000's of IU games and have every right to respectfully post my opinions.
Oh my. That wasnt for you.

I give you kudos for the massive retro wood you sport for Alford, though. Very impressive.

We need to separate Steve the player and the coach. Sure, he is a Hoosier legend, as a player. As a college coach, he did well in small conferences, at Southwest Missouri St. and at New Mexico. But his career was below average at Iowa and average at UCLA at best. He is probably better than Archie Miller as a coach but if he is not good enough for UCLA, he's not good enough for Indiana either.
Indiana deserves better!

Thank you, Mrs. Alford

Oh and a sex predator left early for prison.

I have been an IU fan from the mid 70's and yes I would love to see a player from IU coach this team. I think he still has deep ties in this state and has lured top players from Indiana to every school he coached SWMS.....Brandon Miller and Kevin Ault....Iowa Brody Boyd and Luke Recker....New Mexico Darius Gary and UCLA Wills. Many on this board do not remember him as a player but he owned the Hall and he was not known around campus as a jerk.
My sister lived in the apartment below him. Guess what? He was known to be a jerk. I was 13 and even I recognized a jerk when I saw one. People only saw what they wanted to. Sheesh.

I believe Alford being the coach is the subject.

Yes, the hypothetical of would SA have done better in Btown than he did in IC. Not difficult.

You still didn't answer the question in the previous thread when you were complaining about too many IU grads as compared to you non-grads.

Another fact in support of Alford's supposed lack of success in NCAA tournaments. In last 10 years he made Big Dance 7 of 10 times. IU made it 4 times? Three of those 10 we're at a mid-major where it is tougher to get in.

You joined this site in 2007 but this is only your first post? Please explain that and why you think that Alford is still relevant in Indiana.
We have a lot of new posters like this. It's interesting, and my theory is that some posters stockpiled a few handles so they could post as different people. However, I could be wrong.

Another fact in support of Alford's supposed lack of success in NCAA tournaments. In last 10 years he made Big Dance 7 of 10 times. IU made it 4 times? Three of those 10 we're at a mid-major where it is tougher to get in.

Sure 4 out of 10 blows but 7 out of 10 still sucks too. These Alford posts are a joke. Why would he own Indiana for recruiting? Todays kids don't even know who he is and could care less if he played for indiana before they were even born.

Is this a serious question?

I am asking for an opinion, yes.

People compare Alford to high expectations, not the last 10 years. If you run a poll about who is a better coach, Cream or Alford, there would be more immediate support.

Yes, the hypothetical of would SA have done better in Btown than he did in IC. Not difficult.

2 things:

1.) I asked a question for his opinion, not because I don't have my own.
2.) Alford was mediocre at Iowa. Fran has been as good. Buzz Williams did as well as Crean at Marquette. So the question is, why would Alford do better at IU than Iowa? Recruiting advantages only last if you win. Winning in the Big Ten is not easy.

Sean miller has been farther in the ncaa tournament than Alford 4 times....and alford has been a d1 head coach for almost a decade longer. People butcher miller for not making a final four, yet hes made it a round farther than Alford ever has on 4 occasions. Hell, you could make the argument that miller did more at xavier alone than Alford has in his whole career. Stop posting.
Yea while paying for players too

Are high expectations realistic with how far down we have slid? We are now the third behind Butler and Perdue in this state when it comes to status. One thing for sure Steve would bring to the table is he can flat out recruit.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT