ADVERTISEMENT

The Purdues take on Franklin, Newman et al

That’s fine. But they still had 5 star players on both teams and a bunch of top 100 kids. They’re not winning with a team of 3 stars.

Their ‘18 NC team had 6 players who averaged double figures. Of those, 2 were top 20 RSCI (17th and 19th), 2 were low Top 100 (84th and 96th), and 2 were outside the top 100. They had two other Top 100 players on the roster - and they averaged 3 and 1 ppg.

Compare that to the UKs and Dukes of the world.

I don’t think anybody’s advocating filling a roster with 3-star recruits. But filling out a roster with them? Sure, it can work.

If this entire class had just three star recruits it would be a problem, but IU is in good position to land at least one five star and maybe more.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Kinda like Stevens never coaching college basketball again? Fact.

You don’t know that. Brad doesn’t either. He's 40 or whatever age he is and has the opportunity to coach one of the greatest franchises in basketball. He will most likely fail with the Raptors having a top 3 player in the world now and when he gets fired in a couple years and he will have his pick of any college job he wants. Rick Pitino did the same thing when he left Kentucky and had no problems getting back into the college game.

I’ll add this... The Raptors are huge now with Leonard, Anunoby, JV, Siakam, Poeltl, Ibaka. Might be most physical team in the league. Ha ha Celtics apologists lurking on here - Toronto to NBA Finals. Frendly wager with all of you. Right here. Right now. GS defeats Raptors in 5.

You don’t know that. Brad doesn’t either. He's 40 or whatever age he is and has the opportunity to coach one of the greatest franchises in basketball. He will most likely fail with the Raptors having a top 3 player in the world now and when he gets fired in a couple years and he will have his pick of any college job he wants. Rick Pitino did the same thing when he left Kentucky and had no problems getting back into the college game.

I’ll add this... The Raptors are huge now with Leonard, Anunoby, JV, Siakam, Poeltl, Ibaka. Might be most physical team in the league. Ha ha Celtics apologists lurking on here - Toronto to NBA Finals. Frendly wager with all of you. Right here. Right now. GS defeats Raptors in 5.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Reactions: IUgradman
Not at all. Schools like Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc who are always in contention don’t recruit 3 star kids ranked in the 140s. They just don’t.

Purdue and Iowa do. Again, I’m not loving or hating any one commitment...just saying I hope this is more of an anomaly than a trend.

If I am not mistaken Oladipo was ranked 144th and he turned out ok. In fact he was just an athlete but worked his way to an All-American and Franklin is a very hard worker. You have to judge each recruit separately. There are some lower ranked kids that may be better than some 4 star kids because of work ethic. Hanner Parea (4*) that was ranked 48th and didn’t live up to those expectations. So before you knock the ranking make sure you look at the recruit not the number.

*eye roll*

Frank Mason was a 4 star. Maye is an anomaly not the norm.

In Kansas’s last 5 recruiting classes they’ve landed 11 five stars, 8 four stars, and 0 three stars.

Again...0 three stars. I don’t mind one here and there, but I want them to be the anomaly not the norm.
You sure about Mason because he committed to Towson but went to prep school for a year the went to Kansas.

*eye roll*

In Kansas’s last 5 recruiting classes they’ve landed 11 five stars, 8 four stars, and 0 three stars.

Again...0 three stars. I don’t mind one here and there, but I want them to be the anomaly not the norm.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/127066/frank-mason
This is the recruiting page from ESPN for Frank Mason and it has him a 2 star with schools like George Mason, Towson, Kent St. and Tennessee St.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/132920/devonte-graham
This is Devonte Graham's recruiting profile and he had committed to Appalachian St before going to prep school for a year.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
If you’re a HS coach in Indiana and you’ve got one of best kids in the state on your team do you expect CAM to recruit your kid if he’s a 6’4 point guard? I say yes

If your 6’4 point guard wants to commit to IU after being recruited by CAM would you expect CAM to accept his verbal? I say yes.

Do you think other HS coaches notice? I say yes.

Do you think HS coaches get elevated status if they place kids at IU? I say yes.

Is this good for us long and short term? I say yes.

Do we want TJD and KBJr. ? I say yes. Did they notice Who committed. They both tweeted congrats.

This is a great get on many levels including the support of HS coaches in Indiana. Does that matter? I say hell yes it matters
Great job CAM. Integrity matters and he is displaying it.
Go Hoosiers!

If you’re a HS coach in Indiana and you’ve got one of best kids in the state on your team do you expect CAM to recruit your kid if he’s a 6’4 point guard? I say yes

If your 6’4 point guard wants to commit to IU after being recruited by CAM would you expect CAM to accept his verbal? I say yes.

Do you think HS coaches get elevated status if they place kids at IU? I say yes.

Do we want TJD and KBJr. ? I say yes. Did they notice Who committed. They both tweeted congrats.

This is a great get on many levels including the support of HS coaches in Indiana. Does that matter? I say hell yes it matters
Go Hoosiers!
Excellent post..couldn't agree more

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

Go Hoosiers!
Agree. Crazy how some are so down on this kid. A top Indiana HS recruit. Strong and willing defender. Hard worker. Good scorer who looks to make others better first. 6’4” and PG with good handle. How does anybody not like this kid? Seems primed to play well for CAM and IU. Great get IMO just on the kid alone. But your points are gravy!

*eye roll*

And how many national championships has Kansas won with those last five recruiting classes, hmmm?

Reactions: TR32
Word is out on Painter's lack of tourney success and reality is setting in for recruits, you don't win National Titles at Purdue. So why go there?
And just where has IU's recent tourney success been? These recruits were 2 the last time IU went to a FF and it's been 31 years since a title. I just read where Purdue has had 3 26 win seasons in a row while IU has had 2 in the last 20 years. Hardly a spin on recent success.
Look I was disappointed that Purdue didn't get Franklin. If we get Newman then all is good on that front.
Congrats on getting Franklin. He's going to be a good one.

In my opinion if we’re going in the direction we all hope we’re going, I don’t think either Franklin or Newman will play much. Maybe a role player in years 3 or 4. But if we’re relying on guys like this to win games in a couple years we’ll all be disappointed imo.

Nothing personal at all against the kid. I hear he’s a great young man.

Nostradamus speaks, oye, oye: "Nothing personal" Armaan, but you're just never going to amount to much, play much, have any meaningful impact in the course of your career at IU or contribute to winning any games. You're essentially a bum and any improvement in your game is delusion. Never seen you play, never met you, really nothing to base this on apart from the light of the divine gas emanating from my being and other shit I have heard, but wishing you all the very best.

Quite the welcome. Any other 'pearls', or rather pellets to share?

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Unbelievable. Some people just never learn. This stuff is so extremely basic it’s not worth arguing. Good day everyone.

Unbelievable. Some people just never learn. This stuff is so extremely basic it’s not worth arguing. Good day everyone.

it's all word games, bro! IU doesn't have to get all 4 star + kids to win big but probably needs mostly 4 star + kids to win big consistently...unless Arch is the kind of coach who doesn't need all 4 star + kids...

there's plenty of evidence to support both sides of this argument. especially when folks are only looking for evidence that supports their made up minds. it's called cognitive bias. case closed. you're welcome, people! lol

ca809732bda4eb76a1baa5b72b611ca3.png

And just where has IU's recent tourney success been? These recruits were 2 the last time IU went to a FF and it's been 31 years since a title. I just read where Purdue has had 3 26 win seasons in a row while IU has had 2 in the last 20 years. Hardly a spin on recent success.
Look I was disappointed that Purdue didn't get Franklin. If we get Newman then all is good on that front.

And when was the last time Purdue went to the final four? Elite 8?

The last 3 years has been the second greatest run in Purdue’s history.....and you still cannot out recruit IU. Think about that. Painter has done just better than Crean in regards to Conference Titles and Tourney success, and IU fired Crean.

If you miss out on Newman and the kid from Kansas, I’d start sounding the alarm bells. Because the 2019 class is going to shape Purdue’s future for awhile. (5 man class). And the two you already have aren’t going to help much.

Last edited:
Franklin passes the eye test. Now that he is healthy I expect him to rise in the rankings.

the typical broilee excuse, courtesy of Hammer&Rails:
"love ya Boiler fans but WE ARE NOT DUKE, UK, KANSAS, NC, NOVA……etc. Our program it seems is clean though and that matters a ton.

Our problem is we need a little luck……Big Dog wrestles Ian the night before the big game and hurts his back result: worse game of his college career. Baby Boilers…..Hummel blows his ACL twice. This past year: a no name throws Haas down and he breaks his elbow in the first game of the tournament. The whole year we run our offense through the Big Guy to Open it up for the rest of the team and in a week we expect our offense to immediately be run different.

I too am frustrated but come on……..you have to have a little luck as well as skill to get to a Final Four."

broilee lame excuses for HogHead Keady and PorkChop's failures make for good and funny reading. My concern is how many did HaaSTD affect on and off the court. Choppy you are still sloppy, with the passive aggressive posts on the IU board. broilees have never played a game in April, and that is what you live with.

I'm not sure who you were arguing with. Some refuted the claim that UNC doesn't recruit 3 stars and pointed out several examples. I don't recall anyone making claims to recruit all 3 star players or saying UNC or Nova only recruited 3 stars. . Archie has only 2 of them in his first 7 recruits. The other 5 are more highly rated. One is a 5 star Indiana high school legend. They seem to be in a strong position to land a couple 5 stars more. Everyone here including the coach want high level recruits.

This is like the crazy Crean cult following I don't remember. In 3-4 years we gonna hear about the all the crazies that only wanted 3 star players.

Only Duke is a one and done factory.

Mason was rated as a 3 by two of the 4 services. and ranked 100+. Maye was also rated as a 3 and 4 depending on service and ranked at around 150. Mason won the Naismith and Maye is preseason AA.

You made a BS hyperbolas statement to validate your argument, again. You really need to stop.

Some dudes just want to see a ranking by guys who have never been a real part of college basketball (except Fran of ESPN) and take their word as gospel.

They throw out factors like fit, roster balance and the magical talent plus experience magic formula.

The best teams, the ones that I perfer we emulate, balance it all.

There is a real advantage to having experience in this day and age. It's why Villanova has become the king...not Duke or Kentucky (The Duke formula USED to be talent plus experience).

It's how a historically crappy Purdue team, with no one rated higher than what, 80 something, can get as high as #2 in the country.

It's why Butler could carve out a pain in the ass nitch the last ten years.

It's how Wisconsin could rise from the depths and finish no lower than fourth for a decade with nobody, but when they add two lottery players to that core (one was a guy this faurpa dude would have said he was too low of a recruit)...two straight final fours.

I do laugh at those that get so wrapped around the axle about rankings. They are guidelines and they slant heavily to NBA potential...not college.

Knight actually recruited by the rankings as well as ever in the 90's. His problem was he didn't actually recruit them, like with Delray Brooks (who was ranked #3 in his class and who Knight nearly s#_t himself when he saw how slow his feet were at the Olympic trials).

Think about it, if we just went by the ranking services and not the eyes of our coach and what he saw as a fit, we'd have....

Praised Blackmon Sr and booed Saint Steve.
Praised Delray and booed Smart.
Praised Funderburke and booed Cheaney.
Praised Patterson, Reid, Miller, Collier, Recker and Fife and booed Evans, Guyton, Lewis, Haston and Coverdale.
Of course the classic praised Hollowell and Parea while booing Oladipo and Anunoby.

Archie has had a great eye for talent so far (see Naz Carter and McKinley Wright). I trust him to know who he wants on his roster. Every offer seems well thought out so far.

And how many national championships has Kansas won with those last five recruiting classes, hmmm?
IU hasn’t won any either in five years and with far fewer better players, yet, I’d like IU to have a legitimate shot at winning a national championship with overwhelming talent.

Reactions: IUgradman
Stevens isn’t getting fired from the Celtics.
You gotta wonder which is more humiliating: having to travel back and forth across the nation begging for 18 year old to come play for you, or coaching multimillion dollar prima donnas who only listen to you if they want to?

Some of the younger Hoosier fans may not realize it yet, but a difference between a Crean, and a good coach can be highlighted in a workable talent like Armaan.

You have one who sees the hunger in their eyes and imagines how to use them on offense and defense, while the other sees the hunger and just hands them the keys to the gym hoping they will get better on their own.

As I have said, Archie is being paid to know what to do with a team of quality Big Ten athletes. If he needs 12 5star guys to get 25 wins then he wont be the solution for long.

And when was the last time Purdue went to the final four? Elite 8?

The last 3 years has been the second greatest run in Purdue’s history.....and you still cannot out recruit IU. Think about that. Painter has done just better than Crean in regards to Conference Titles and Tourney success, and IU fired Crean.

If you miss out on Newman and the kid from Kansas, I’d start sounding the alarm bells. Because the 2019 class is going to shape Purdue’s future for awhile. (5 man class). And the two you already have aren’t going to help much.
Crean missed the tourney the last what 2 years he was there? IU was paying him over $3 million. That's why he was fired. He had the numbers 2 and 4 draft picks and got blown out in the SS, with the number one team in the country. His overall record at Iu was mediocre at best. That's why he was fired.

Crean missed the tourney the last what 2 years he was there? IU was paying him over $3 million. That's why he was fired. He had the numbers 2 and 4 draft picks and got blown out in the SS, with the number one team in the country. His overall record at Iu was mediocre at best. That's why he was fired.

And Matt Painter has fared no better in the Tournament, has no comparable draft picks, is making a similar amount of money, yet retains his job as the Purdue coach.

Sort of puts the expectations of the two programs in perspective, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Annnnnd you come on this forum to tell US why Crean was fired??? We are experts on that.

Reactions: ufo33 and IUgradman
it's all word games, bro! IU doesn't have to get all 4 star + kids to win big but probably needs mostly 4 star + kids to win big consistently...unless Arch is the kind of coach who doesn't need all 4 star + kids...

there's plenty of evidence to support both sides of this argument. especially when folks are only looking for evidence that supports their made up minds. it's called cognitive bias. case closed. you're welcome, people! lol

ca809732bda4eb76a1baa5b72b611ca3.png
There’s no evidence at all that says you can win big consistently without primarily 4 and 5 star players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT