ADVERTISEMENT

OSU wins again, on the road--does success for OSU's interim coach put more pressure on IU administration?

Woodsa

Redshirt
Jul 18, 2004
OSU has been energized by the in-season firing of their coach. Does this put more pressure on the IU administration to do something sooner than later?

I did look it up, IU has not had the most coaches since 2000, but, with 6 coaches in a 24 year period, that average would say Woodson is back next year.

What do you WANT to happen, and when?
What do you THINK will happen, and when?

OSU has been energized by the in-season firing of their coach. Does this put more pressure on the IU administration to do something sooner than later?

I did look it up, IU has not had the most coaches since 2000, but, with 6 coaches in a 24 year period, that average would say Woodson is back next year.

No

hard to believe IU has had to fire its last 5 coaches for various reason: Knight, Davis, Sampson, Crean, Archie. Hopefully Dolson will convince Woody to bow out gracefully and call it retirement.

Reactions: Jssanto

I heard a crazy stat this year that was hard for me to believe.

IU has had as many coaches in the last 25 years as Purdue has had in the last 75 years..

IU needs stability in the worst way. And Woodson is not going to be that guy.

Can't see how it will have any impact, one way or another.

I WANT IU to have a really good, college basketball coach, immediately.

I THINK they'll keep Woodson for another year.

I HOPE he figures something out, and improves dramatically.

If he's going to be back next year, might as well have it be a successful year. Anyone that would wish for the team to suck, just to ensure Woody is fired...is ridiculous.

Reactions: ams66
If he's going to be back next year, might as well have it be a successful year. Anyone that would wish for the team to suck, just to ensure Woody is fired...is ridiculous.
Not sure it’s ridiculous with our admin. My fear is he gets like a First Four or really high tourney seed and losses the first game, and then our brain trust gives him another year (we’re improving!) when it’s clear our ceiling with Woody is inching in to the tourney. It’s pretty clear we aren’t achieving anything exciting with him.

The whole issue for me is lack of trust and belief in our admin that leads me to want results that force change. A good coach could do so much more here.

I understand always pulling for the team to do well. That’s reasonable too.

Reactions: ulrey
No impact. Looks like IU is keeping Woody for next year.
I just hope, if that's true, that the decision has been made already.

Then something like this could be said, by Dolson, Whitten, Quinn, whoever the hell is actually running all this, in a meeting behind closed doors...

"Everyone shut the hell up! We're not firing him. We're going to support him, and give him every resource Indiana University can to be successful. Whatever your role is, go help him be successful by doing your role."

And then...Dolson needs to do the same thing to the Media...to Don Fischer...etc...

"I get the frustration. And believe me, no one is happy about how this season has gone thus far. But I believe in Coach Woodson. And I trust him to get us back to where we need to be."

Its NOT the decision I would likely have made. I don't think Woodson will likely ever be a good college basketball coach. I very, very strongly desire a good basketball coach at Indiana, sooner rather than later.

But all this indecision, inner struggle, who's making the decision?, is so...third rate. Its time IU basketball started acting like an elite organization. And if firing the coach isn't in the cards right now, then act like an elite organization and put all the damn rumors and stuff to bed.

Then something like this could be said, by Dolson, Whitten, Quinn, whoever the hell is actually running all this, in a meeting behind closed doors...

"Everyone shut the hell up! We're not firing him. We're going to support him, and give him every resource Indiana University can to be successful. Whatever your role is, go help him be successful by doing your role."

And then...Dolson needs to do the same thing to the Media...to Don Fischer...etc...

"I get the frustration. And believe me, no one is happy about how this season has gone thus far. But I believe in Coach Woodson. And I trust him to get us back to where we need to be."

Its NOT the decision I would likely have made. I don't think Woodson will likely ever be a good college basketball coach. I very, very strongly desire a good basketball coach at Indiana, sooner rather than later.

But all this indecision, inner struggle, who's making the decision?, is so...third rate. Its time IU basketball started acting like an elite organization. And if firing the coach isn't in the cards right now, then act like an elite organization and put all the damn rumors and stuff to bed.
Yea. Our communication is very poor. Pam doesn’t talk much about sports and I never hear anything from Scott. You sort of need a state of the union when things are a mess.

Sounds like Woody is still going to have our key NIL boosters for the spring portal. We’ll see what he pulls together.

Yea. Our communication is very poor. Pam doesn’t talk much about sports and I never hear anything from Scott. You sort of need a state of the union when things are a mess.

Sounds like Woody is still going to have our key NIL boosters for the spring portal. We’ll see what he pulls together.
Heard on field of 68 that Sean Miller is a lock to OSU.

I guess one Trilly report doesn't necessarily equal gospel on what's actually happening.

The way Woody is responding...the lack of public communication...maybe, everyone in the building is actually more on the same page than we assume they are?

In the end, I just want good basketball. As I pointed out in the thread where I was giving ideas on how Woody could be successful...we're not that far off being an NCAA tournament team/program again. Get a couple really good guards in the portal, keep Reneau...and next year could easily be better than this year. Woody is going to coach to his best players strengths... I think that's because he doesn't know how to develop much of anything on his own...so he just tries to utilize his best players as much as possible. But either way, if he gets a few really good perimeter players in the portal, combined with McNeeley, he might "Miraculously" start running stuff for his guards?? And many will give him credit for evolving and improving...

I don't think last year is "good enough", to aspire to in year 4, but I don't get to make the decisions. I just want a good, fun team to follow.

They care about their bball program.
To be fair...Holtman was in his 7th year, I believe...

From the perspective of "who cares more", that's in important distinction...as IU and OSU's situations aren't apples to apples, right now.

IU probably should move on Woodson, right now, but its quite a lot more difficult move, for a number of different reasons, than what OSU moving on Holtman was.

Heard on field of 68 that Sean Miller is a lock to OSU.
I have also heard from a Xavier insider that Miller is either not interested or not being considered, fwiw.
On a personal note, I also have to question why OSU would want Miller.

I guess one Trilly report doesn't necessarily equal gospel on what's actually happening.

The way Woody is responding...the lack of public communication...maybe, everyone in the building is actually more on the same page than we assume they are?

In the end, I just want good basketball. As I pointed out in the thread where I was giving ideas on how Woody could be successful...we're not that far off being an NCAA tournament team/program again. Get a couple really good guards in the portal, keep Reneau...and next year could easily be better than this year. Woody is going to coach to his best players strengths... I think that's because he doesn't know how to develop much of anything on his own...so he just tries to utilize his best players as much as possible. But either way, if he gets a few really good perimeter players in the portal, combined with McNeeley, he might "Miraculously" start running stuff for his guards?? And many will give him credit for evolving and improving...

I don't think last year is "good enough", to aspire to in year 4, but I don't get to make the decisions. I just want a good, fun team to follow.
Unfortunately, all we have is Trilly. It matches up to what I hear from people I know (not bragging). I think Woody is safe and there is no search, all the key people except perhaps Scott are fine with him for now.

Unfortunately, all we have is Trilly. It matches up to what I hear from people I know (not bragging). I think Woody is safe and there is no search, all the key people except perhaps Scott are fine with him for now.
Demoralizing that we have decision makers, basketball people, seemingly smart basketball people like Quinn Buckner, that can watch our program under Woody, and "be fine" with it. Especially since the source of all this "brotherhood" and loyalty is a tie in with a man that would literally be disgusted watching Woody's teams play right now.

But if that's the reality of it...how can we maximize it? Sucking is no fun. Might as well win some basketball games. The tourniquet that we need is a roster overhaul via the portal. A group of talented guys that don't need a ton of direction to be successful.

They're out there. We have the resources to get some of them. Go make it happen.

I think this is true. Inside the bubble....its business as usual.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I think this is true. Inside the bubble....its business as usual.
Woody's record at IU in what I'd call "NCAA tournament level games"

Home games against ranked teams
Road and Neutral court games against NCAA tournament teams

Record 13-26

Average margin of victory of 8 points.
Average margin of defeat of 14 points.

We haven't had any "good years" yet under Woodson...at least not according to what IU basketball probably should be aspiring to be.

"Business as usual" is pretty mediocre. Stinks.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
FWIW: heard from an OSU insider, their focus is to back up the brinks truck for Jay Wright and get him back into the game with the Buckeyes. No idea how reliable that info is, but it is understandable.

FWIW: heard from an OSU insider, their focus is to back up the brinks truck for Jay Wright and get him back into the game with the Buckeyes. No idea how reliable that info is, but it is understandable.
They have a Brinks truck. Interesting intel.

What resource can they give him that he already doesn’t have? Force him to hire a recruiting coordinator/GM?
Woody cannot construct a roster is issue #1
Issue -#2 is in game coaching.

To me the ship has failed move on. Next year will be another rebuild year, might as well do with a new coach.

I want IU to win 25 or more games next year. That won't happen. It won't happen with Woodson or without him. I think it will be very difficult for him to avoid a losing record next year if he is retained.

no

Reactions: Lucy01
Can't see how it will have any impact, one way or another.

I WANT IU to have a really good, college basketball coach, immediately.

I THINK they'll keep Woodson for another year.

I HOPE he figures something out, and improves dramatically.

I understand your point and struggle with that exact conflict.
I am so disappointed in Woodson for his leniency regarding X’s on and off field behavior, his press conferences that can be viewed as often blaming others, his comments to journalist’s regarding questions about his contract, our record, etc.
If we have a deep NCAA run or excel in the big next season, perhaps I will be wrong and he is “the guy”. He just had a bad start.
But right now I have zero confidence we can succeed with him as “the guy”.

I understand your point and struggle with that exact conflict.
I am so disappointed in Woodson for his leniency regarding X’s on and off field behavior, his press conferences that can be viewed as often blaming others, his comments to journalist’s regarding questions about his contract, our record, etc.
If we have a deep NCAA run or excel in the big next season, perhaps I will be wrong and he is “the guy”. He just had a bad start.
But right now I have zero confidence we can succeed with him as “the guy”.
Some of Izzo's remarks after the game. Any of these could sound like something Woodson would say:

"A couple of my guards didn't play very well."

"We had good shots. I don't have any problem with the shots, we just didn't make the shots we needed to make."

"I wish people knew what it was like to coach. I really do. I mean, great quote from Kobe Bryant on what it takes to lead people. As he says, it's not a Kumbaya experience.

"I'll call him out: Jaxon Kohler running down the floor, they throw a ball over the top, the guy gets it, lays it up. It's only two points. I just read that whole poem to them. It's only one possession, and at the end we lost by one. You can't make effort-related mistakes.

"It is frustrating. Because I really believe in my heart — this is not one of the best teams I've had, but this team, if our guards play well ... I think we're good enough to win games. That should fall on me."

Some of Izzo's remarks after the game. Any of these could sound like something Woodson would say:

"A couple of my guards didn't play very well."

"We had good shots. I don't have any problem with the shots, we just didn't make the shots we needed to make."

"I wish people knew what it was like to coach. I really do. I mean, great quote from Kobe Bryant on what it takes to lead people. As he says, it's not a Kumbaya experience.

"I'll call him out: Jaxon Kohler running down the floor, they throw a ball over the top, the guy gets it, lays it up. It's only two points. I just read that whole poem to them. It's only one possession, and at the end we lost by one. You can't make effort-related mistakes.

"It is frustrating. Because I really believe in my heart — this is not one of the best teams I've had, but this team, if our guards play well ... I think we're good enough to win games. That should fall on me."
Good points. I did not see the pressor. I think he also said something about how Ware had improved and Woodson was a good coach.

Reactions: ams66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT