ADVERTISEMENT

The Purdues take on Franklin, Newman et al

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Purdue's rivals board is very interesting right now.....equal parts information & misinformation, I think. Here's some of what is being said and my comments/observations:

--They think they will end up with Malik Hall & Newman. I know nothing about Hall's recruitment, but I do think OSU is a factor with Newman. He's also going to visit Xavier
--Painter definitely tried to sell both Franklin & Newman on playing together. However, Newman didn't want to do so. Until very recently their board viewed Franklin as a lock & Newman as a lean
--It's not an uncommon view on their board that Franklin chose IU because he has a better chance at immediate PT. They think Easton, IT, and Hunter are superior to IU's guards(absent R) Not seeing that myself.....
--A couple of their posters who closely follow recruiting are saying that IU is still all in on Ramsey. I have no idea.
--Some of those that appear to be in the know call Newman a shooter & Franklin a slasher.....that seems consistent with what I've read about them.

Purdue's rivals board is very interesting right now.....equal parts information & misinformation, I think. Here's some of what is being said and my comments/observations:

--They think they will end up with Malik Hall & Newman. I know nothing about Hall's recruitment, but I do think OSU is a factor with Newman. He's also going to visit Xavier
--Painter definitely tried to sell both Franklin & Newman on playing together. However, Newman didn't want to do so. Until very recently their board viewed Franklin as a lock & Newman as a lean
--It's not an uncommon view on their board that Franklin chose IU because he has a better chance at immediate PT. They think Easton, IT, and Hunter are superior to IU's guards(absent R) Not seeing that myself.....
--A couple of their posters who closely follow recruiting are saying that IU is still all in on Ramsey. I have no idea.
--Some of those that appear to be in the know call Newman a shooter & Franklin a slasher.....that seems consistent with what I've read about them.

I do think Archie and company are still pursuing Ramsey.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy

Shorter Purdue Fan: "We didn't want Franklin."

Word is out on Painter's lack of tourney success and reality is setting in for recruits, you don't win National Titles at Purdue. So why go there?

Reactions: mike41703
Word is out on Painter's lack of tourney success and reality is setting in for recruits, you don't win National Titles at Purdue. So why go there?

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I'm not sure a chance at a national championship means very much to most of the players today.
They mostly just seem to be interested in who can get them to the NBA the quickest.

Maybe with some of the lower rated recruits, but not the top talent.

Reactions: fpeaugh

Easton is superior than Franklin? Why didn't you say that sooner? There prediction of Ronnie being better than Yogi was spot on...

I view it like this, the rating services view Newman as slightly better than Franklin, that may or may not be true. What I do know is that we do not have to sit around and worry about whether or not we are going to get a commitment from a good Indiana guard right now. We already filled that spot. Purdue is still going to be chasing Newman, meanwhile we are going to be turning our focus to Brooks, TJD, and possibly Ramsey all 3 of which are visiting our school on the same day for the kick off to the season.

I am completely comfortable with our position right now w.r.t. recruiting. They are over there arguing about whether they really wanted a guy. They got turned down. In our situation we got a player we wanted and we kept our instate rival from getting a player they really wanted....again.

We're all good right now.

Per the Indy Star, IU is in on the top 3 high school players from Indiana-Brooks, TJD and Franklin.

The broilees are taking the next level of 4,5 and 6 ranked players-IThompson, MGillis(2 serious knee operations) and Newmann.

In 2018 IU signed 3 of the top4 ranked Indiana high schoolers, Langford, Anderson and Phinisee. broilees thought they had Anderson and Phinisee locked up until Archie arrived.

I do like that Indiana kids are choosing these schools. Makes for a lot of fun. Bring back the 80's!

Per the Indy Star, IU is in on the top 3 high school players from Indiana-Brooks, TJD and Franklin.

The broilees are taking the next level of 4,5 and 6 ranked players-IThompson, MGillis(2 serious knee operations) and Newmann.

In 2018 IU signed 3 of the top4 ranked Indiana high schoolers, Langford, Anderson and Phinisee. broilees thought they had Anderson and Phinisee locked up until Archie arrived.

I do like that Indiana kids are choosing these schools. Makes for a lot of fun. Bring back the 80's!

This is also evidence that Miller is truly following an inside out approach. I have always believed that was the best approach to take at IU and would lend itself to the greatest chance of success.

Easton is superior than Franklin? Why didn't you say that sooner? There prediction of Ronnie being better than Yogi was spot on...

Who in the hell is Easton? Honestly I can't name 3 kids on their team now that the seniors graduated.

The biggest frustration for PU has to be the time they put into Franklin only to be spurned when a more attractive offer came his way. No matter the level of success PU has (last year they were successful) it doesn't change the fact that kids just do not view it as a top tier program. I like Painter because he puts a decent product on the court but that is his ceiling.

Unfortunely if winning a national title is high on your list of priorities, I don’t think you’re considering either IU or Purdue these days

In my opinion if we’re going in the direction we all hope we’re going, I don’t think either Franklin or Newman will play much. Maybe a role player in years 3 or 4. But if we’re relying on guys like this to win games in a couple years we’ll all be disappointed imo.

Nothing personal at all against the kid. I hear he’s a great young man.

I view it like this, the rating services view Newman as slightly better than Franklin, that may or may not be true. What I do know is that we do not have to sit around and worry about whether or not we are going to get a commitment from a good Indiana guard right now. We already filled that spot. Purdue is still going to be chasing Newman, meanwhile we are going to be turning our focus to Brooks, TJD, and possibly Ramsey all 3 of which are visiting our school on the same day for the kick off to the season.

I am completely comfortable with our position right now w.r.t. recruiting. They are over there arguing about whether they really wanted a guy. They got turned down. In our situation we got a player we wanted and we kept our instate rival from getting a player they really wanted....again.

We're all good right now.

Great point, Crazy. I think we are too. Got a good buddy in Avon who has seen AF play numerous times and said this kid (before he became a Hoosier) could be the perfect fit in Archie's theatre. Four year good solid player with a high motor. Adds good size, length, defence and athleticism. And I see no reason why this signing of Franklin will discourage Ramsey from wanting to come to IU. Looking good for our Hoosiers!

In my opinion if we’re going in the direction we all hope we’re going, I don’t think either Franklin or Newman will play much. Maybe a role player in years 3 or 4. But if we’re relying on guys like this to win games in a couple years we’ll all be disappointed imo.

Nothing personal at all against the kid. I hear he’s a great young man.

I disagree. Unless you’re a one and done factory like Kentucky your bread and butter is the 4 Star kids like Franklin.

I disagree. Unless you’re a one and done factory like Kentucky your bread and butter is the 4 Star kids like Franklin.
Not at all. Schools like Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc who are always in contention don’t recruit 3 star kids ranked in the 140s. They just don’t.

Purdue and Iowa do. Again, I’m not loving or hating any one commitment...just saying I hope this is more of an anomaly than a trend.

Not at all. Schools like Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc who are always in contention don’t recruit 3 star kids ranked in the 140s. They just don’t.

Purdue and Iowa do. Again, I’m not loving or hating any one commitment...just saying I hope this is more of an anomaly than a trend.

Those are all one and done factories.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
UNC is? Those are all programs who consistently make deep runs in the tourney. Purdue and Iowa don’t.

Speaking of UNC. Maybe some of the UNC 2017 class are walkons, I don't know. They have one 4 star rated around 120 and three more 3 stars in that class.

UNC is? Those are all programs who consistently make deep runs in the tourney. Purdue and Iowa don’t.

Actually you’re right. While UNC recruits a lot of 5 Star kids they also get a fair number of lower ranked kids. Their 2017 class consisted of the following national ranks:

So there you go. Your original assertion is false. UNC does recruit 3 Star kids in the 130s. And far worse. They just do.

How many OADs has Villanova had in the Wright era? It’s not a rhetorical question — I genuinely don’t know the answer. But it doesn’t seem like they have had too many.

Looking at their team last year, they had two guys who were Top-20 RSCI (Brunson (19) and Spellman (17)). Of their other 4 major contributors, two were in the 80s-90s and two weren’t in the top 100 at all.

For their ‘16 team, they had 7 guys who were Top 100 RSCI. But only Brunson was Top 20. Most were in the 50-100 range.

A program can succeed today without being a OAD factory.

How many OADs has Villanova had in the Wright era? It’s not a rhetorical question — I genuinely don’t know the answer. But it doesn’t seem like they have had too many.

Looking at their team last year, they had two guys who were Top-20 RSCI (Brunson (19) and Spellman (17)). Of their other 4 major contributors, two were in the 80s-90s and two weren’t in the top 100 at all.

For their ‘16 team, they had 7 guys who were Top 100 RSCI. But only Brunson was Top 20. Most were in the 50-100 range.

What I have been that is to build your roster like Villanova

Why is this board always so fascinated with their board?

And vice versa :confused: I don't mean to stray off topic, here, but not that I truly care, the infestation of Illwhiny fans on this board has long snice mercifully become non-existent. Guess the Eric Gordon wound finally healed. But I doubt it.

Last edited:

normality is returning.

normality is returning.

Well, let's hope so. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Our most recent record was 16-15 (9-9) - good for 6th in the B1G. At the end of the day, it's the Ws, Ls, and titles that count. Recruiting is a big part of success, of course. But it's still just a means to the desired end.

Let us never forget "The Movement" -- which was a time when many people, understandably, felt that we were finally, at long last, headed back to the kind of success we used to regularly enjoy. And, yes, we did have a couple of good teams following that recruiting success. But the hard reality is that it's still been 16 years since we last got past the Sweet Sixteen....and only that once in a depressingly lengthy 25 years.

Reactions: IUgradman

That’s fine. But they still had 5 star players on both teams and a bunch of top 100 kids. They’re not winning with a team of 3 stars.

"They just don't" ... except when they do.

Frank Mason

Luke Maye
*eye roll*

Frank Mason was a 4 star. Maye is an anomaly not the norm.

In Kansas’s last 5 recruiting classes they’ve landed 11 five stars, 8 four stars, and 0 three stars.

Again...0 three stars. I don’t mind one here and there, but I want them to be the anomaly not the norm.

Those are all one and done factories.
Only Duke is a one and done factory.
*eye roll*

Frank Mason was a 4 star. Maye is an anomaly not the norm.

In Kansas’s last 5 recruiting classes they’ve landed 11 five stars, 8 four stars, and 0 three stars.

Again...0 three stars. I don’t mind one here and there, but I want them to be the anomaly not the norm.
Mason was rated as a 3 by two of the 4 services. and ranked 100+. Maye was also rated as a 3 and 4 depending on service and ranked at around 150. Mason won the Naismith and Maye is preseason AA.

You made a BS hyperbolas statement to validate your argument, again. You really need to stop.

Actually you’re right. While UNC recruits a lot of 5 Star kids they also get a fair number of lower ranked kids. Their 2017 class consisted of the following national ranks:

So there you go. Your original assertion is false. UNC does recruit 3 Star kids in the 130s. And far worse. They just do.
UNC’s last title team in 2017:

5 stars:
Pinson
Hicks
Jackson

4 stars:
Britt
Berry
Meeks
Bradley
Williams
**All top 100

3 stars:
Maye - averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds per game

So I’ll ask you - is Maye the norm or the anomaly?

Reactions: Pryght
Only Duke is a one and done factory.

Mason was rated as a 3 by two of the 4 services. and ranked 100+. Maye was also rated as a 3 and 4 depending on service and ranked at around 150. Mason won the Naismith and Maye is preseason AA.

You made a BS hyperbolas statement to validate your argument, again. You really need to stop.
We’re on Rivals...I’m going by their rankings.

Again, the last 5 years Kansas has signed 19 kids. Every single last one of them were either 4 or 5 stars. Every single one. Those are the facts.

We’re on Rivals...I’m going by their rankings.

Again, the last 5 years Kansas has signed 19 kids. Every single last one of them were either 4 or 5 stars. Every single one. Those are the facts.

Kinda like Stevens never coaching college basketball again? Fact.

That’s fine. But they still had 5 star players on both teams and a bunch of top 100 kids. They’re not winning with a team of 3 stars.

That is fine. You made a statement that is factually incorrect and were called out on it. Instead of doubling down, maybe bow out with some dignity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT