ADVERTISEMENT

The GOP and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA"

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
Death, taxes, and playing "God Bless the USA" at a GOP/MAGA/Far Right/White Supremacist rally.

Is this "song" the worst songs of all time? IMHO, it is the country version of "We Built this City"

Reactions: T.M.P. and Bill4411
In the mid 1990s I went to the Taste of Blue Ash (just outside Cincinnati) because there was double bill of Eric Burdon and The Box Tops. I like the Animals and Eric Burdon was great singing all those old songs, even if he was wearing red jeans and a tye-dyed shirt.

I held out hope for the Box Tops to include Alex Chilton, who sang The Letter with them. I'm actually a bigger fan of Chilton's other band, Big Star. Any way, their lead singer was some bloated dude who squeezed himself into some black leather paints. He had an OK voice.

You'd think The Box Tops would have closed with The Letter, but you would have been wrong (I was). The lead singer thanked everyone for coming and then went on a rant about respecting our country and our veterans and how anyone who didn't like what he was saying could take a seat in the port-a-potties behind the stage. Then the rolled into God Bless The U.S.A. There were some cheers, but there was also a strong WTF contingent too.

For a free double billed concert, it was great, but the ending to the Box Tops show was odd.

Wrapping oneself in the flag is a staple of the conservative playbook.
Sometimes - as in Trump's case - making out with it is cool too:

3002.jpg

Apparently the world and America does not remember very well.

Here is General James Stewart in "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" from 1938 trying to remind congress about Fascism in the US.

Reactions: sglowrider
this is so much better. i'll take wrapping up in the flag every day of the week over your kind. proud to be an american. shocker right?

210727-megan-rapinoe-knee-ew-540p.jpg

There is nothing more American than expressing one's political opinion. I will take expression over faux patriotism any day.

While I have never expressed myself in a similar manner, these players were making a political statement against racial injustice and police brutality. I will take that every time over White Supremacists pretending to be American patriots when they are actually domestic terrorists.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
There is nothing more American than expressing one's political opinion. I will take expression over faux patriotism any day.

While I have never expressed myself in a similar manner, these players were making a political statement against racial injustice and police brutality. I will take that every time over White Supremacists pretending to be American patriots when they are actually domestic terrorists.
these players first perpetuated a false narrative re racial injustice and police brutality that had grave consequences across the country then perpetuated another false narrative re unequal pay to strongarm a pay increase they didn't deserve. is that what you meant? or you don't care about being right? i can't imagine a national team more disliked than our own.

"Representing your country is a privilege and honor for any player or coach that is associated with U.S. Soccer's National Teams. Therefore, our national anthem has particular significance for U.S. Soccer," the statement read. "In front of national and often global audiences, the playing of our national anthem is an opportunity for our Men's and Women's National Team players and coaches to reflect upon the liberties and freedom we all appreciate in this country. As part of the privilege to represent your country, we have an expectation that our players and coaches will stand and honor our flag while the national anthem is played."

post more about how you don't like people who are proud of our flag. good stuff. and i'm sure trump is actually sincere. he's had a hell of a fun life. what a country....

Speaking of Domestic Terrorism:

these players first perpetuated a false narrative re racial injustice and police brutality that had grave consequences across the country then perpetuated another false narrative re unequal pay to strongarm a pay increase they didn't deserve. is that what you meant? or you don't care about being right? i can't imagine a national team more disliked than our own.

"Representing your country is a privilege and honor for any player or coach that is associated with U.S. Soccer's National Teams. Therefore, our national anthem has particular significance for U.S. Soccer," the statement read. "In front of national and often global audiences, the playing of our national anthem is an opportunity for our Men's and Women's National Team players and coaches to reflect upon the liberties and freedom we all appreciate in this country. As part of the privilege to represent your country, we have an expectation that our players and coaches will stand and honor our flag while the national anthem is played."

post more about how you don't like people who are proud of our flag. good stuff. and i'm sure trump is actually sincere. he's had a hell of a fun life. what a country....
Oh FFS. Nothing that ever happened at a women's soccer match ever had "grave consequences" for anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
Death, taxes, and playing "God Bless the USA" at a GOP/MAGA/Far Right/White Supremacist rally.

Is this "song" the worst songs of all time? IMHO, it is the country version of "We Built this City"

Communists don’t like “God Bless the USA.” Proud Americans like it just fine. I don’t give a flying crap it was played at a White Supremacist rally. I have to take your word for it since I’ve never been to one. I don’t let non-racist things be twisted into racist things and there’s nothing racist about that song.

I agree “We Built This City” is bad. Worst hit song ever. Hated it the first time I heard it.

Communists don’t like “God Bless the USA.” Proud Americans like it just fine. I don’t give a flying crap it was played at a White Supremacist rally. I have to take your word for it since I’ve never been to one. I don’t let non-racist things be twisted into racist things and there’s nothing racist about that song.

I agree “We Built This City” is bad. Worst hit song ever. Hated it the first time I heard it.
This^^^. From Airplane to Starship to StarSH!T.

It’s a song. You can be a proud American and still not like it. I like it fine, for the record.

It’s a song. You can be a proud American and still not like it. I like it fine, for the record.
I was joking, but there’s nothing wrong the song. The Greenwood song. There’s plenty wrong with the other.

Communists don’t like “God Bless the USA.” Proud Americans like it just fine.
If they're tone-deaf, tasteless, and completely ignorant of what makes good music, sure.

The song sucks .. wrapping it in a flag doesn't change that. Polished turd .. is still a turd.

Reactions: Circlejoe
If they're tone-deaf, tasteless, and completely ignorant of what makes good music, sure.

The song sucks .. wrapping it in a flag doesn't change that. Polished turd .. is still a turd.
We all know you’re a music snob. No need to remind us. People can like it if they want to. Different strokes and all that jazz. 😉

We all know you’re a music snob. No need to remind us. People can like it if they want to. Different strokes and all that jazz. 😉
Yeah, you certainly can like whatever you want, that is the subjectiveness of music but doesn't make it well crafted ... and I have the right to judge and ridicule you for it . VBG

That song was manufactured for mass ignorant consumption .... I prefer real music created and performed by real musicians with a passion for their art, not some studio employee playing dress-up cowboy clown singing marketing jingles to grift off musically ignorant rubes.

That guy sucks ass ..

Yeah, you certainly can like whatever you want, that is the subjectiveness of music but doesn't make it well crafted ... and I have the right to judge and ridicule you for it . VBG

That song was manufactured for mass ignorant consumption .... I prefer real music created and performed by real musicians with a passion for their art, not some studio employee playing dress-up cowboy clown singing marketing jingles to grift off musically ignorant rubes.

That guy sucks ass ..
Music snob. Got it. 😄

That guy sucks ass ..
Can you share one of your pieces of work? No one one on this board has ever held their opinion in as high a regard as you hold your musical opinion. Feels only right you should prove your bona fides.

"Hamilton" is the least well crafted musical to hit broadway in over two decades. Lin-Manuel is a musical illiterate. Yet you've never made a condescending post about him. Or Cardi B. Or Sexxy Red. But being a musical prick comes with a political filter in your pathetic case.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
And THAT is what makes Dave Grohl a national treasure.
Grohl sucks. Another 90's musician born in the millennial/ late X'er era that thought their opinion was most important. He's lucky Kurt Cobain died so he did'nt have to get bullied his entire life.

Reactions: DANC
Can you share one of your pieces of work? No one one on this board has ever held their opinion in as high a regard as you hold your musical opinion. Feels only right you should prove your bona fides.

"Hamilton" is the least well crafted musical to hit broadway in over two decades. Lin-Manuel is a musical illiterate. Yet you've never made a condescending post about him. Or Cardi B. Or Sexxy Red. But being a musical prick comes with a political filter in your pathetic case.
You obviously don’t have any knowledge of musical theatre. I think Hamilton is Lin-Manuel’s second best work but it is still terrific. Stick to country pop. And try not to clap on one and three.

Grohl sucks. Another 90's musician born in the millennial/ late X'er era that thought their opinion was most important. He's lucky Kurt Cobain died so he did'nt have to get bullied his entire life.
Don’t care much for the Foo Fighters but Dave is a good drummer. Cobain was a petty prick.

Fun fact: drove from Hoosier Courts to Hara Arena in Dayton & back to see the Meat Puppets & Nirvana on 10/30/93. Don’t know a lot of folks that got to see them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT