ADVERTISEMENT

GOP fundraising for 2nd Q is proof the Trump mob runs the GOP and, with it, over half of the States.

What policies does Manchin hold that you agree with? I can’t think of any Democrat besides Sinema I’d less likely vote for.
I said I'd be holding my nose.

Please god don't make me vote for Biden again. He's ADDLED. My dad is coming up on 81 (keep going pops you're setting longevity records for the whole family!!) and I just can't see how an 80 something year old man in that seat is beneficial to anyone. EXCEPT THAT HE COULD BLOCK THE OTHER 80 YEAR OLD THAT'S EVEN WORSE THAN HIM from being president.

If it's Biden/Trump I'm going third party. I just hope it's one with a chance. Again, I live in Indiana so my vote matters not much and my PROTEST! is really virtue signaling except that I will 100% vote for a 3rd party. I guess if IN is within 3pt I'll have to make a real decision. We'll see.

Another 4 years of Biden OR Trump is a disaster.

Please god don't make me vote for Biden again. He's ADDLED. My dad is coming up on 81 (keep going pops you're setting longevity records for the whole family!!) and I just can't see how an 80 something year old man in that seat is beneficial to anyone. EXCEPT THAT HE COULD BLOCK THE OTHER 80 YEAR OLD THAT'S EVEN WORSE THAN HIM from being president.

If it's Biden/Trump I'm going third party. I just hope it's one with a chance. Again, I live in Indiana so my vote matters not much and my PROTEST! is really virtue signaling except that I will 100% vote for a 3rd party. I guess if IN is within 3pt I'll have to make a real decision. We'll see.

Brother, unless something unforseen happens, it's gonna be Biden/Trump and we both know that living in Indiana, the race will probably be called 10 minutes after the polls close.

Reactions: larsIU

Welcome to the RFK train. We’ll take good care of you.

DeSantis's actions should shame him. He help up that dead skunk of what he'd done like a badge of honor. And, for far too many, it is.

What DeSantis did was disqualifying for me. Even more so than Trump or Clinton's affairs and general misogyny.

DeSantis could have taken them all in and used their care and need as markers of the need to speed up immigration courts and processes, rethink immigration holistically, hell even to take stupid PR photos to show what a caring guy he is. But he didn't do any of that. He chose violence.

The only reason he did it was because he didn't have to look in their faces as he did so. P*ssy.
Come on.... you aren't voting for a Republican anyway.

If I was in charge, this is what I would do.

1) Let both parties nominate 5 candidates for president
2) Figure out a way to push for more moderate candidates from both parties
3) Run the primaries between the 2 remaining candidates of each party
4) Add in 3rd party candidate
5) Run a 2 round ranked choice election. If a voter's first choice finished in 3rd place in round 1, then the voter's 2nd choice becomes their vote in the 2nd and final round. That way people can feel free to vote for the third party candidate without worrying about it helping their last choice.

I would also add in an age limit of 70.
This site really needs an eye roll emoji.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
My worst fear is Joe keeps Kamala on the ticket and then he has a stoke or the like right before the election-Putinized for lack of a better term. Would Kamala be able to beat Trump? I doubt it.

Martha’s Vineyard being the tipping point for not supporting DeSantis is truly bizzare.

As far as I can tell no one died. Which is more than you can say for the daily crisis on the border engineered by this administration.

What an odd place to aim your fury and start moralizing.

Is it because MV is an island? Or because it is wealthy?

How is it different than sending bus loads and plane loads to any other sanctuary municipality?

Reactions: DANC
Martha’s Vineyard being the tipping point for not supporting DeSantis is truly bizzare.

As far as I can tell no one died. Which is more than you can say for the daily crisis on the border engineered by this administration.

How is it different than sending bus loads and plane loads to any other sanctuary municipality?
It's because Desantis...... It's the new 'because Trump...."

Reactions: Lucy01
My worst fear is Joe keeps Kamala on the ticket and then he has a stoke or the like right before the election-Putinized for lack of a better term. Would Kamala be able to beat Trump? I doubt it.
Oh, he's keeping her on the ticket. There will be blood in the streets if she's not. Dems love Kamala - she checks a lot of boxes.

• Love

I think you're too optimistic about the chances of any 3rd party candidate, even with how unpopular Biden and "he who shall not be named" are.

"He who shall not be named" is a danger to the country IMO while Biden would just be treading water for 4 years and mainly dependent on the competency of his staff. Regardless of what people think of his staff, at least it's not filled with nepotism and yes men.

That’s a whole bunch of nonsense and hyperbole. The US is doing better than almost everyone else in the country and inflation and gas are dropping. You can’t care about corruption, lying , cheating, or any of that if you are even considering voting for Trump. His entire four years was day after day another of his administration was in trouble. Not to mention his multiple indictments, with more rumored this week. So who is your choice?
" The US is doing better than almost everyone else in the country "

English, please.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
How did what he did help anyone? Did it change anything? It was a publicity stunt. And it helped lead to his tanking popularity. Good job, Ron! He’s shown his political instincts are anything but astute.
Yeah, it did change things. Suddenly everyone is worried about the border now.

Again, watch some news sometime.

Oh, he's keeping her on the ticket. There will be blood in the streets if she's not. Dems love Kamala - she checks a lot of boxes.
That's the reason I am fearful of my scenario because Biden won't dump Harris. FDR dumped Henry Wallace in 1944 and he gave us Truman and Henry Wallace was a brilliant man but not who you would want running the country during wartime or immediately after the war.

Just my opinion, and I’m a Democrat, but where we are right now with national politics, history is screaming for Nikki Haley to somehow be our next President.

Personally, I don’t think Republicans deserve to be elected dog catcher on the national stage, but she would do a great service for our country. She would be a strong leader, with a soft touch. Thatcher-Reaganesque. She would probably be able to get the Republican Party off the Trump train disaster, while reeling in the runaway desires of the far left on social issues. She’d have a fighting chance to unite the country. Again, just my opinion, but I’d be on board for that over Biden or Trump.

Just my opinion, and I’m a Democrat, but where we are right now with national politics, history is screaming for Nikki Haley to somehow be our next President.

Personally, I don’t think Republicans deserve to be elected dog catcher on the national stage, but she would do a great service for our country. She would be a strong leader, with a soft touch. Thatcher-Reaganesque. She would probably be able to get the Republican Party off the Trump train disaster, while reeling in the runaway desires of the far left on social issues. She’d have a fighting chance to unite the country. Again, just my opinion, but I’d be on board for that over Biden or Trump.
If she is under 70, she sounds good to me!

Reactions: Morrison

This country is well to fkd at this point to elect Haley.

Come on.... you aren't voting for a Republican anyway.
Hmmmm. Would I. Yes, I could cast a vote for Nikki Haley (much for Morrison's POV which is similar to mine).

Yo bitch, quote my post.

Now, I already supplied an answer. Go find it.

It's because Desantis...... It's the new 'because Trump...."
Come on man, I was pretty clear why I didn't like DeSantis and that I didn't find Trump's moral failiings disqualifying.

Could he win as third party candidate?
I doubt he'd win the Democrat nomination.

Apparently, he's already hinted he might become an Independent and, practically speaking, he has already asserted distance from the Democrats position on several pieces of legislation.

Apparently, he's already hinted he might become an Independent and, practically speaking, he has already asserted distance from the Democrats position on several pieces of legislation.

If the choice was Manchin, Biden and Trump, I’d vote for Manchin.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

She'd make a good President, and she's a Trump supporter. He appointed her UN Ambassador and she would continue many of Trump's policies.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Hmmmm. Would I. Yes, I could cast a vote for Nikki Haley (much for Morrison's POV which is similar to mine).

Yo bitch, quote my post.

Now, I already supplied an answer. Go find it.

Come on man, I was pretty clear why I didn't like DeSantis and that I didn't find Trump's moral failiings disqualifying.
I - and others - predicted Desantis would be demonized like Trump, and here we are.

DeSantis' huge cash cow will dry up now that corps and Wall St execs have reached their donation limits. He's already laying off staff. He's dead in the water for 2024. He may even turn out to be a Scott Walker type. Total turd.

The others didn't bring in enough to survive much longer, except maybe Scott and Haley. Scott could be a veep for Trump, but the GOP belongs to the Trump mob at this point, just based on the #s (Trump's small donations will continue rolling in). He doesn't need to debate any of them, and I don't blame him.

John Adams said "even when the mob is on your side, it's still the mob", or something like that. The mob will continue on long after Trump, as will division.

I can see a 2024 election where AZ, GA, WI don't go along w a Biden victory, saying nothing of the reddest of states. Purplish states (60/40) like Indiana will have to make difficult decisions, as will the people who reside in them. We could have a country where for many years there is not a recognized official leader over all 50 states. Sounds nutty, but the GOP, although many stood up to T,rump in 2020, is nothing but feckless and will go w the mob over the rule of law (to the extent it can't change the rule of law to make it more difficult to vote, etc.). Put short, I don't trust the GOP.

The country will come apart at the seams, I'm afraid. Within 30 years.

I think of all my GOP friends and fam and their "I want to see it all burned to the ground" talk in 2015. The people who have it the best wanting to see it all burned to the ground?! My brain and heart hurts.

No, I think I'll stay on the side that doesn't want it all burned to the ground, and by "it" I mean America.
Thankfully, you're a nobody from nowhere. Nobody cares what you think or say, except your teammates of course.

I hope all you dupes realize Manchin is only doing this to get concession from his Democrat collegues.

"Oh please don't run - we'll promise not to ban coal".

Manchin plays Democrats like a fiddle.

She'd make a good President, and she's a Trump supporter. He appointed her UN Ambassador and she would continue many of Trump's policies.
I think she just tolerated Trump to further her career. She certainly has political skill. I could live with her. Not literally, unless her hubby got redeployed.😊 Jk

Reactions: larsIU
I think she just tolerated Trump to further her career. She certainly has political skill. I could live with her. Not literally, unless her hubby got redeployed.😊 Jk
She not only tolerated Trump, she carried out his foreign policy in the UN.

When you look at the history of this country since 1980, I think there's an argument to be made that which party holds Congress or the White House has far less effect than we'd imagine (with notable exceptions*). As a direct response to the economic and social upheavals of the 1970's, we got Reaganomics, The Republican Revolution, and Neoliberalism. And this shift happened across party lines. Hell, the trend was so powerful it broke out of our national borders, and Britain got Tony Blair. For the most part, I think our country would have followed the same general path it did no matter who won each individual election during the time period. If that's the case, it becomes easier to argue that we should be selecting our national executive primarily concerned with competence, rather than policy.

If we end up with Trump-Biden again, the choice of Biden is easy on this count. Trump just sets such a low competence bar, that Biden clears it simply by breathing. But there are a number of potential Republicans who I think would clearly outpace Biden on the competency scale. Haley obviously shows up near or at the top of that list. I don't know if she'd really earn a lot of Democratic votes - historically, cross-party voters clock in at about 5% on each side, no matter what - but her acceptability might at the least keep some unenthusiastic Biden voters home.

*Those notable exceptions, however, might include some big ones, such as the appointment of judges, a handful of pieces of landmark legislation that needed all the parts to click into place at the same time, like Obamacare, and certain foreign policy decisions, such as our response to 9/11.

When you look at the history of this country since 1980, I think there's an argument to be made that which party holds Congress or the White House has far less effect than we'd imagine (with notable exceptions*). As a direct response to the economic and social upheavals of the 1970's, we got Reaganomics, The Republican Revolution, and Neoliberalism. And this shift happened across party lines. Hell, the trend was so powerful it broke out of our national borders, and Britain got Tony Blair. For the most part, I think our country would have followed the same general path it did no matter who won each individual election during the time period. If that's the case, it becomes easier to argue that we should be selecting our national executive primarily concerned with competence, rather than policy.

If we end up with Trump-Biden again, the choice of Biden is easy on this count. Trump just sets such a low competence bar, that Biden clears it simply by breathing. But there are a number of potential Republicans who I think would clearly outpace Biden on the competency scale. Haley obviously shows up near or at the top of that list. I don't know if she'd really earn a lot of Democratic votes - historically, cross-party voters clock in at about 5% on each side, no matter what - but her acceptability might at the least keep some unenthusiastic Biden voters home.

*Those notable exceptions, however, might include some big ones, such as the appointment of judges, a handful of pieces of landmark legislation that needed all the parts to click into place at the same time, like Obamacare, and certain foreign policy decisions, such as our response to 9/11.
I like that her parents are immigrants. Even though her parents came here legally I think her understanding of the personal nature of the issue itself makes her far more literate than most. Regardless of party. I should know. I’m married to a naturalized citizen who did it all the right way. Now, that was pre 9/11 and the right way was a shit ton easier. But I digress. My wife hates the people who cheat the system but also understands how woefully inadequate the resources are and the situation many (especially the refugees) find themselves in. Like my wife though, Haley knows precisely WHY people risk it all to come here. And I think with her in office the demonization (by some not all) of the Republican Party would cease.

To be fair, she could push the Republicans into the 21st century politically and move some of the center. She’s been pretty blatantly inconspicuous on social issues. Maybe to stay above or because it’s a full lane already.

She won’t get the nomination but I think Manchin and Kelly should start reaching out at some point. While I’m sure she’s beholden to the Republican Party, if you get elected president the lack of a party probably doesn’t matter much anyway.

I fear the judge situation but other than Thomas nobody is old enough to die off or retire. So the SC is what it is for (probably) the next decade at least. Federal bench will get more conservative. But that comes and goes all the time anyway.

Electing a third party candidate at this moment in American history might be the most important thing we’ve done since the civil rights movement and legislation.

I - and others - predicted Desantis would be demonized like Trump, and here we are.
Much like Trump, DeSantis doesn’t really help himself from time to time. He’s still down 30-40 pts on Trump. He’s toast.

DeSantis' huge cash cow will dry up now that corps and Wall St execs have reached their donation limits. He's already laying off staff. He's dead in the water for 2024. He may even turn out to be a Scott Walker type. Total turd.

The others didn't bring in enough to survive much longer, except maybe Scott and Haley. Scott could be a veep for Trump, but the GOP belongs to the Trump mob at this point, just based on the #s (Trump's small donations will continue rolling in). He doesn't need to debate any of them, and I don't blame him.

John Adams said "even when the mob is on your side, it's still the mob", or something like that. The mob will continue on long after Trump, as will division.

I can see a 2024 election where AZ, GA, WI don't go along w a Biden victory, saying nothing of the reddest of states. Purplish states (60/40) like Indiana will have to make difficult decisions, as will the people who reside in them. We could have a country where for many years there is not a recognized official leader over all 50 states. Sounds nutty, but the GOP, although many stood up to Trump in 2020, is nothing but feckless and will go w the mob over the rule of law (to the extent it can't change the rule of law to make it more difficult to vote, etc.). Put short, I don't trust the GOP.

The country will come apart at the seams, I'm afraid. Within 30 years.

I think of all my GOP friends and fam and their "I want to see it all burned to the ground" talk in 2015. The people who have it the best wanting to see it all burned to the ground?! My brain and heart hurts.

No, I think I'll stay on the side that doesn't want it all burned to the ground, and by "it" I mean America.

That's a lot of words to say nothing worthwhile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT