ADVERTISEMENT

The death of honest journalism

According to this source which presents the chart below "If you look at this chart and are convinced your “extreme” source belongs in the middle, you just might be part of the problem plaguing America today."

MW-GE557_MediaB_20180228115701_NS.jpg
Also, notice how many right wing news in the nonsense and damaging section. I’ve never even heard of most of the left wings in the bottom, except for Palmer Report.

According to this source which presents the chart below "If you look at this chart and are convinced your “extreme” source belongs in the middle, you just might be part of the problem plaguing America today."

MW-GE557_MediaB_20180228115701_NS.jpg

you'll almost never hear of GOP incompetence, corruption, and bigotry, on Fox News, or any conservative source.

nor of Dem incompetence, corruption, and bigotry, from CNN or MSNBC.

both the conservative and liberal media outlets sometimes do a good job of being govt watchdogs.

just absolutely never of the party they represent.

and mostly never of the corruption afflicting both sides, as all MSM, regardless of which party they affiliate with, is owned by, or financed by, or both, by Wall St, who is the entity doing a good amount of the corrupting..

for anyone to be well informed these days, you have to catch both the DNC and GOP media arms, then realize there is truth on both sides.

just never about their own side.

and that there is plenty of damning disgraceful truth about both sides, that's virtually never mentioned by any.

those watching either Fox or CNN/MSNBC are only getting maybe 30% each of what's really going on.

those who watch all 3, get maybe 60%.
Once again, you go with the both sides do it. And comparing Fox to CNN is nonsense. Fox shouldn’t even be compared to MSNBC, except that it is obviously liberal and Fox is now state tv. You did not watch MSNBC if you think they didn’t criticize Obama.

How do you know that’s what Mueller established? We have read a 4 page summary of a 300+ page report. A summary that I’d imagine was made to be as positive for Trump as possible. My guess is there is plenty of red meat in the Mueller report. Which is why, once again, the GOP will do everything possible to be complicit with Trump and attempt to nit release it or delay as long as possible. If it did indeed exonerate him, it would already be out.

Zeke, it’s over.

Do you acknowledge that the dossier wasn’t the sole (or even main) piece of evidence used for the FISA warrant?

Based off what’s been established, my view is that it was a supporting piece of evidence.

Remember, Carter Paige was already suspected of either working with Russian intelligence or of being targeted by Russian intelligence. He was already being surveilled well before the dossier every surfaced. And then he’s named an advisor on Trump’s foreign policy team. And, I might add, he was warned by our intelligence services, and he continued to meet with suspected Russian intelligence folks.

Also remember that George P. bragged about being able to set up meetings between Russia and team Trump. He did this while talking to an Australian intelligence officer. Again, before the dossier surfaced.

Based off Trump’s team’s continued flirtation with all things Russia (including naming Manafort as a campaign manager and a fishy change in the RNV platform that was favorable to Russia) and those two established facts above, I’m pretty sure the FISA warrant would’ve been granted anyway, even if the dosssier wasn’t mentioned at all.

Remember, there was enough smoke that Mueller’s team took two years to check it out, and Trump and his team continued to take meetings with Russians, even asking for assistance in “liberating” more dem emails (Russia if you’re listening).

In the alternate world that is Fox News, somehow the dossier was the sole reason that all of this happened. And somehow the foreign intelligence folks were in the tank for Hillary, when in reality they never announced that Trump was under investigation, and may have titled the election to Trump when they announced ten days before the election that they were re-opening the investigation against Hillary (which was against department policy).

My contention is that there’s no point in investigating the investigators- especially when no one except for Trump’s hand picked AG has seen it.

It may turn out that there was some bad behavior. But there’s no possible way to conclude that there was no there, there. It’s too early for that. The thought that we should investigate the investigators is premature, and may not even be justified once the report comes out.

Would you agree with that last statement?

If not, I’d like to know why. Specifically, with sourcing. The points I laid out above are iron clad facts- not suppositions.

***keep in mind that we know that Kushner (one of Trump’s right hands) was trying to set up secret back channels. And that Trump’s son and campaign manager actually met with Russians under the guise of getting dirt on Hillary. They subsequently lied about it. Several times.

It blows my mind that the investigation is now seen by some (including you, apparently) as unjustified. I suppose that had a dem campaign done the same things Trump and his crew did, it would be OK?

Believe what you want and what you believe is wrong. The dossier was vital for the FISA warrant because the Carter Paige surveillance did not yield enough to obtain a warrant.

And just stop with all that “if a dem campaign. . . . “ crap. That’s a nothing argument and makes you look silly.

Oh, and yes the investigation was unjustified. It was the brain child of Clapper, Comey, McCabe, Brennan, Stzruk, Ohr, and others. Clapper, Comey, and Brennan are documented liars. Ohr, McCabe, and Stzruk, have been fired or demoted and then fired.
So you instantly dismiss these people by calling them liars, but you support the liar in chief. These people were afraid for our country and did what they should have done to ave us from a man they knew was collaborating with Russians. Just a shame they didn’t do more.

How do you know that’s what Mueller established? We have read a 4 page summary of a 300+ page report. A summary that I’d imagine was made to be as positive for Trump as possible. My guess is there is plenty of red meat in the Mueller report. Which is why, once again, the GOP will do everything possible to be complicit with Trump and attempt to nit release it or delay as long as possible. If it did indeed exonerate him, it would already be out.

Zeke, it’s over.
Sure Jan.

Believe what you want and what you believe is wrong. The dossier was vital for the FISA warrant because the Carter Paige surveillance did not yield enough to obtain a warrant.

And just stop with all that “if a dem campaign. . . . “ crap. That’s a nothing argument and makes you look silly.

Oh, and yes the investigation was unjustified. It was the brain child of Clapper, Comey, McCabe, Brennan, Stzruk, Ohr, and others. Clapper, Comey, and Brennan are documented liars. Ohr, McCabe, and Stzruk, have been fired or demoted and then fired.

The beauty of all of this is that when we actually see the damn report (assuming it’s not butchered all to hell), we’ll be able to actually know what it says. The longer it goes until it’s released, and the more redacted it is, the more it looks like things are being hidden.

Barr is apparently going to turn the report over to the White House, and allow them to make whatever claims of executive privilege they want to make. That’s unprecedented. It has never worked that way- the process has always been for a third party to review the report, and for them to redact whatever it is that is subject to executive privilege.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll see the full report until many court battles have happened and subpoenas have been issued. Logically, it would appear that if the report was all roses for Trump, it would’ve been released immediately. I understand that grand jury info must be protected/redacted by law, but I suspect the “protections” will extend far before the grand jury stuff.

Given what was uncovered during the campaign, it’s pretty clear there was a lot of misconduct. At least it was unethical. At worst, it lead to Trump and his team being compromised. Which means that the investigation was justified.

Q: do you dispute any of the points that Schiff made yesterday? And if you accept them, we’re the incidents just “politics”? If you haven’t watched his opening remarks, you should. I doubt that media sources told you much about some of it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree about the dossier and it’s importance in the FISA process. The only evidence of what the app contains is present in testimony- and the testimony doesn’t support your assertion that the dossier was the main vehicle to start the investigations.

Q:

Given what we know publicly about the Trump campaign’s behavior, do you think that the investigation will ultimately be a good thing?

If Trump and his team did nothing wrong, they should welcome an investigation. It would clear up all the reporting (which is all solid, BTW. Unlike Mueller, Trump and his team leak like a damn sieve).

Instead, they’re relying on a partisan summary that doesn’t say much, and they’re stretching it out to be a complete absolving of Trump and his team. It’s dishonest, at best. Why wouldn’t they focus on accurately stating what Barr said, and defer until the report comes out? That is the dem approach so far, at least if you use Pelosi as the measuring stick.

Until the report is released, or new sourced news breaks that discusses what we are talking about, there’s really no point in discussing this much further. If you have solid sourcing that backs up your assertions, by all means post them. All I’ve seen so far is the repeating of right wing media talking points, when the public record that’s available now doesn’t support your assertions.

And, I did whatabout. That’s a favorite technique of yours. It’s infuriating when it’s used, isn’t it?

My point wasn’t to try to make it seem as if both sides were equal, or to justify bad behavior. That seems to be the manner in which right wing media tends to use the device.

Instead, it was to make you think about everything that was uncovered (again, thank god for the free press), and whether it was OK (as Schiff said).

Obviously, my contention is that it wasn’t OK, and if this type of stuff is allowed moving forward, we’re screwed (referencing the things that Schiff pointed out).

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Reactions: Bill4411
The beauty of all of this is that when we actually see the damn report (assuming it’s not butchered all to hell), we’ll be able to actually know what it says. The longer it goes until it’s released, and the more redacted it is, the more it looks like things are being hidden.

Barr is apparently going to turn the report over to the White House, and allow them to make whatever claims of executive privilege they want to make. That’s unprecedented. It has never worked that way- the process has always been for a third party to review the report, and for them to redact whatever it is that is subject to executive privilege.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll see the full report until many court battles have happened and subpoenas have been issued. Logically, it would appear that if the report was all roses for Trump, it would’ve been released immediately. I understand that grand jury info must be protected/redacted by law, but I suspect the “protections” will extend far before the grand jury stuff.

Given what was uncovered during the campaign, it’s pretty clear there was a lot of misconduct. At least it was unethical. At worst, it lead to Trump and his team being compromised. Which means that the investigation was justified.

Q: do you dispute any of the points that Schiff made yesterday? And if you accept them, we’re the incidents just “politics”? If you haven’t watched his opening remarks, you should. I doubt that media sources told you much about some of it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree about the dossier and it’s importance in the FISA process. The only evidence of what the app contains is present in testimony- and the testimony doesn’t support your assertion that the dossier was the main vehicle to start the investigations.

Q:

Given what we know publicly about the Trump campaign’s behavior, do you think that the investigation will ultimately be a good thing?

If Trump and his team did nothing wrong, they should welcome an investigation. It would clear up all the reporting (which is all solid, BTW. Unlike Mueller, Trump and his team leak like a damn sieve).

Instead, they’re relying on a partisan summary that doesn’t say much, and they’re stretching it out to be a complete absolving of Trump and his team. It’s dishonest, at best. Why wouldn’t they focus on accurately stating what Barr said, and defer until the report comes out? That is the dem approach so far, at least if you use Pelosi as the measuring stick.

Until the report is released, or new sourced news breaks that discusses what we are talking about, there’s really no point in discussing this much further. If you have solid sourcing that backs up your assertions, by all means post them. All I’ve seen so far is the repeating of right wing media talking points, when the public record that’s available now doesn’t support your assertions.

And, I did whatabout. That’s a favorite technique of yours. It’s infuriating when it’s used, isn’t it?

My point wasn’t to try to make it seem as if both sides were equal, or to justify bad behavior. That seems to be the manner in which right wing media tends to use the device.

Instead, it was to make you think about everything that was uncovered (again, thank god for the free press), and whether it was OK (as Schiff said).

Obviously, my contention is that it wasn’t OK, and if this type of stuff is allowed moving forward, we’re screwed (referencing the things that Schiff pointed out).

If the Schiff dots could have been connected Mueller’s team would have connected them. Three words sum up 300 pages. “NO FURTHER INDICTMENTS”.

Over.jpg

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Did the Republicans ever drop the Benghazi investigation? The Russian investigation will continue on as long as the Dems have a majority in either the senate or the house-guaranteed.

Agreed. The Democrats have shown us that not even unfavorable polling data will stop their lunacy.

Trump admitted obstruction the second he told Lester Holt he fired Comey because of the “Russian thing”.
NO! HE DIDN'T....He could fire Comey because he doesn't like his tie. It is all within in constitutional bounds. He is allowed to do that. How can there be Obstruction on something that he is perfectly allowed to do?

Reactions: 76-1
NO! HE DIDN'T....He could fire Comey because he doesn't like his tie. It is all within in constitutional bounds. He is allowed to do that. How can there be Obstruction on something that he is perfectly allowed to do?
There were a multitude of legitimate reasons for firing Comey, not the least of which was lying to his boss about the investigation.

The bottom line, however, is the firing didn’t obstruct the investigation because it wasn’t MEANT to obstruct the investigation. Firing Comey changed absolutely nothing about Muellers job.

Reactions: 76-1

Q:

If the Schiff dots could have been connected Mueller’s team would have connected them. Three words sum up 300 pages. “NO FURTHER INDICTMENTS”.

Over.jpg
It’s not over until we say it’s over. You know, elections have consequences and all that.

There were a multitude of legitimate reasons for firing Comey, not the least of which was lying to his boss about the investigation.

The bottom line, however, is the firing didn’t obstruct the investigation because it wasn’t MEANT to obstruct the investigation. Firing Comey changed absolutely nothing about Muellers job.

Trump firing Comey literally changed Muller's job. He was appointed Special Counsel in large part because of it.

Meanwhile, the dangerous rhetoric coming from the Dems is starting to have dangerous consequences.

Man threatens Trump, drives 13 hours nonstop towards the White House with a gun before being pulled over.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article228538584.html

Will the Dems apologize for inspiring this?

I’m not holding my breath.
Oh please. From the guy who supports the champion rhetoric thrower of all time? You know the guy who people actually credit for inspiration when they commit mass murders? That one? Stop. Just stop. I’ve lost track of the number of actual murders committed to those just threatened. The weeks of fear from the Trumpster sending threats and bombs through the mail, the nutbag a few weeks ago with a butt load of artillery and a Democratic hit list. Barely made the news, doesn’t move the needle. It’s what we expect now, sadly. I don’t need to listen to any rhetoric from press or left politicians to hate Trump. I just listen to him and pay attention to his actions. Sadly, you and many others appear not to care. ( I know, but you don’t support Trump . Lol)

Trump firing Comey literally changed Muller's job. He was appointed Special Counsel in large part because of it.
I wish I knew the right path forward in these times. It's deeply concerning that a material portion of our electorate is unhinged, inflamed, deluded and aggressively ignorant. Arguably only slightly less scary is that so many conservatives who know better are still okay hitching their votes to such a party.

I don't think the Democrats should make a point of nominating a "centrist" or anything like that, but I think they desperately need to nominate somebody who is supremely competent, disciplined, strong, dedicated to preserving/rescuing the normative institutions of our Republic, unwilling to compromise values to coddle the deluded, and dedicated to maintaining standards of accountability ... all while pushing for programs that can make the country stronger. It's not a time for lightweights. There's so much riding on outcomes. The Democrats are the de facto party of maintaining our democratic republic.

Based on your research, intent is wholly irrelevant? You've considered that issue fully?
Remember the Saturday night massacre? Nixon unquestionably had the power to fire those who were investigating him, yet still it figured into the drive to impeach hm. I wonder what all the fuss was about.

Similarly, Article II of the Constitution expressly empowers the president to issue pardons. Since this is IN THE CONSTITUTION, no one would have any reason to complain if Trump began auctioning off pardons on eBay.

Silly Thyrsis. Your talk of research and analysis is so quaint. You just need to use ALL CAPS, then it's like, "QED, bitches!"

"If the president does it, that means that it is not illegal." -- Richard M. Nixon​

Reactions: hoosboot
I wish I knew the right path forward in these times. It's deeply concerning that a material portion of our electorate is unhinged, inflamed, deluded and aggressively ignorant. Arguably only slightly less scary is that so many conservatives who know better are still okay hitching their votes to such a party.

I don't think the Democrats should make a point of nominating a "centrist" or anything like that, but I think they desperately need to nominate somebody who is supremely competent, disciplined, strong, dedicated to preserving/rescuing the normative institutions of our Republic, unwilling to compromise values to coddle the deluded, and dedicated to maintaining standards of accountability ... all while pushing for programs that can make the country stronger. It's not a time for lightweights. There's so much riding on outcomes. The Democrats are the de facto party of maintaining our democratic republic.
^^^^^See, this is exactly what I’m talking about. How egotistical and obstinately self centered must one be to think support for the president is “unhinged, inflamed, deluded, and aggressively ignorant”?

That’s the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that gets people hurt and we see it even from the democrat leadership.

Newsflash, Thyrsis, you aren’t the center of the universe. You don’t get to decide what’s right for other people or who they can support. That’s just incredibly ignorant.

Seriously, who do you people think you are? What kind of bubble have you been ensconced in that leads you to this point?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
^^^^^See, this is exactly what I’m talking about. How egotistical and obstinately self centered must one be to think support for the president is “unhinged, inflamed, deluded, and aggressively ignorant”?

That’s the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that gets people hurt and we see it even from the democrat leadership.

Newsflash, Thyrsis, you aren’t the center of the universe. You don’t get to decide what’s right for other people or who they can support. That’s just incredibly ignorant.

Seriously, who do you people think you are? What kind of bubble have you been ensconced in that leads you to this point?

The POTUS just called a congressional leader a pencil neck at a rally in Grand Rapids. He then continued to mock him saying "he's not a long ball hitter".

I'd call that unhinged, inflamed, deluded and aggressively ignorant.

And I'd call you a bad person for not understanding that.

Reactions: zeke4ahs

I don’t follow you.

You’re entitled to whatever uninformed position you wish to hold, but mine is subject to your approval?

You having a viewpoint is just right and proper, but if I have one, I’m putting myself at the center of the universe?

But I’ll readily admit that I tend to reach my conclusions after study and careful consideration. That’s certainly not true of everyone.

Lol. “no further indictments” from a prosecutor whose job description included bringing indictments is not a shallow take.

LOL all you want, but even Barr isn't a shallow enough sycophant to try to summarize a 700-page report in one three-word phrase.

Reactions: Rockfish1

Trump proves he is indeed all of that and more every single day. How are facts rhetoric? ( oh and here’s the guy again who wanted me to look back because he says he never supports Trump. LOL) What kind of bubble do YOU live in where you can , with a straight face, deny any of those descriptors?

yes, he could fire him because of his tie, and not have it be obstruction.

but firing him because of the investigation, which he publicly admitted to doing, is arguably obstruction.

had he just gone with the "i didn't like his tie" thing, i'm guessing Trumps lawyers would have been happier.

Reactions: Timmy!
LOL all you want, but even Barr isn't a shallow enough sycophant to try to summarize a 700-page report in one three-word phrase.

The page numbers are irrelevant. The report likely contains significant verbiage about all kinds of things, including all whom the SC interviewed and all the exhibits reviewed. The important items for Barr to summarize are Mueller’s conclusions. 4 pages doesn’t seem unreasonably brief for that.

The page numbers are irrelevant. The report likely contains significant verbiage about all kinds of things, including all whom the SC interviewed and all the exhibits reviewed. The important items for Barr to summarize are Mueller’s conclusions. 4 pages doesn’t seem unreasonably brief for that.

Have you read what Barr said today? Essentially he refuted just about everything you’ve been saying since the letter came out.

Reactions: hoosboot
Are you, as a citizen, interested in any of the findings even if non-indictable?

Speaking of honesty in journalism, here we have the managing editor of NBC politics calling and harassing this reporter on behalf of the DNC.

But Fox is way WAY worse. :rolleyes:

That would perhaps be interesting if your three words were 4 pages instead, but they aren't so it's not.

That would perhaps be interesting if your three words were 4 pages instead, but they aren't so it's not.

The reason “no further indictments” is important is because it pisses off all the Democrats. But those three words are very good for the country. Now the Democrats must figure out how not to be pissed off about good news.

Meanwhile, it’s not just journalism per se that has gone to the birds. Twitter has a long and distinguished history of suppressing conservative speech.

Pro life movie “Unplanned” has Twitter account suspended on its opening weekend for no reason.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/201...pended-on-opening-weekend-dana-loesch-blasts/
While I think ultimately twitter is making mistakes in their hypersensitivity towards #NewGOP causes (notice I didn’t say conservative because it’s usually mutually exclusive), they are entitled to do so.

If you #NewGOPers don’t like it, invent something else. Surely Peter Thiel can pay for it.

While I think ultimately twitter is making mistakes in their hypersensitivity towards #NewGOP causes (notice I didn’t say conservative because it’s usually mutually exclusive), they are entitled to do so.

If you #NewGOPers don’t like it, invent something else. Surely Peter Thiel can pay for it.

You consider abortion a “#NewGop” issue, not a conservative one?

You consider abortion a “#NewGop” issue, not a conservative one?
No. In this instance I claim ignorance as I have no idea about this particular movie and what’s true and what’s spin. I’m talking about the usual tropes about how big bag meanie twitter won’t let “conservative” nitwits spew their nonsense without banning.

The reason “no further indictments” is important is because it pisses off all the Democrats. But those three words are very good for the country. Now the Democrats must figure out how not to be pissed off about good news.

Good news would be four words - "zero evidence of collusion". If you're excited about "no further indictments", then you must be thrilled about Jussie. :rolleyes:

No. In this instance I claim ignorance as I have no idea about this particular movie and what’s true and what’s spin. I’m talking about the usual tropes about how big bag meanie twitter won’t let “conservative” nitwits spew their nonsense without banning.
#NewGOP: The culture in which you are a snowflake if you complain about racism, but a First Amendment Warrior if you complain that your social media post got deleted.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Good news would be four words - "zero evidence of collusion". If you're excited about "no further indictments", then you must be thrilled about Jussie. :rolleyes:

Jussie was indicted.

You thinking “zero evidence of collusion” is important shows your profound ignorance of how investigations operate. Instead you have planted your feet in the tin-foil hat territory. You are a conspiracy builder. You can find circumstantial evidence that LBJ shot JFK from the grassy knoll if you want to. Mueller looked at all the circumstances supporting the collusion accusation and saw that the dots didn’t connect. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT