ADVERTISEMENT

"Welcome to the end of Democracy"

Yes. I believe it’s always been corrupt. A singular answer to your question is money as the cause. Going deeper than that is personal gain (politician) and not operating in the interest of their constituents. I cannot explain how nearly all politicians go into office with average wealth and leave worth 10’s to 100’s of millions of wealth and have the income of an elected official. They get onto the ticket because of 100’s of millions spent on campaigns so they may be elected. Those same heavy donors want ROI. And they get it. And the politicians get paid. And the only question is who isn’t on the take. It’s corrupt.
Our public education system's refusal to invest in ethics and morals training has created a society willing to tolerate that behavior.

Yes. I believe it’s always been corrupt. A singular answer to your question is money as the cause. Going deeper than that is personal gain (politician) and not operating in the interest of their constituents. I cannot explain how nearly all politicians go into office with average wealth and leave worth 10’s to 100’s of millions of wealth and have the income of an elected official. They get onto the ticket because of 100’s of millions spent on campaigns so they may be elected. Those same heavy donors want ROI. And they get it. And the politicians get paid. And the only question is who isn’t on the take. It’s corrupt.
A wise poster here used to say if you allow government to be bought, it will be. But not to worry:

200.gif

aajohn, you should start a thread on the topic of corruption of our politicians.

As to your contention...
all politicians go into office with average wealth and leave worth 10’s to 100’s of millions of wealth and have the income of an elected official.
This link (How do members of congress get so wealthy from a relatively low paid job?) offers some interesting opinions on the subject of how many politicians enter office already wealthy along with how the less wealthy end up wealthy.

I had not thought of that, first take that is an excellent point. It fits how Aloha, Noodle, and Twenty are RINO because they want less government in economic terms but aren't cultural warriors.

Cultural issues tend to be all or nothing. It really fits black and white thinking.

In fighting amongst the GOP members of the House over whether to restrict “outbound investment” into China.

On one side you have Gallagher and McCaul, on the other side you have McHenry and Barr.

McHenry opposes the concept of investment restriction. The other side wants to determine how best to restrict outbound investment.

I tend to agree with Gallagher and McCaul on this topic.

In fighting amongst the GOP members of the House over whether to restrict “outbound investment” into China.

On one side you have Gallagher and McCaul, on the other side you have McHenry and Barr.

McHenry opposes the concept of investment restriction. The other side wants to determine how best to restrict outbound investment.

I tend to agree with Gallagher and McCaul on this topic.

For the most part, we stand for government not interfering in our private lives which includes where we invest ?

On the other hand, government should interfere with say investing in criminal activities or a country perceived to be our enemy.

Thus in the final analysis, how do we reach consensus on dealing with China ? My preference would be an approach supported by both of our political parties along with support from allies.

During the Cold War which lasted over forty years our policies remained consistent and didn't change. it remained consistent no matter which party controlled Congress and the White House.

Can our politics and democracy again reach consensus on China as occurred during the Cold War ?

Reactions: Spartans9312
For the most part, we stand for government not interfering in our private lives which includes where we invest ?

On the other hand, government should interfere with say investing in criminal activities or a country perceived to be our enemy.

Thus in the final analysis, how do we reach consensus on dealing with China ? My preference would be an approach supported by both of our political parties along with support from allies.

During the Cold War which lasted over forty years our policies remained consistent and didn't change. it remained consistent no matter which party controlled Congress and the White House.

Can our politics and democracy again reach consensus on China as occurred during the Cold War ?
McHenry states we should be promoting greater investment in China, especially into sensitive sectors.

“If we oppose China’s state-run economy, we want more private investment - not less. Of those private investors, we want more of them to be Americans - not fewer. And if we are truly concerned by China’s technology companies, we want as many Americans as possible steering them, spreading Western standards, and complying with U.S. laws.”

McHenry has taken a position that is against restricting outbound investment.

The Speaker asked the two sides to find a compromise but it doesn’t appear McHenry wants to negotiate

Last edited:
Reactions: hoot1
Remember Trump is the real threat to Democracy. And not arresting the NY Times journalist who entered the Capitol through a broken window is completely different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT