ADVERTISEMENT

Surprised no one is discussing the Comey firing.

My dream scenario is that a 400# Russian guy living in a basement somewhere hacks Trump's bidness and steals all of his money. Then his hair falls out, and he dies penniless!:cool:

Reactions: UncleMark
The difference is you hated OBama for no reason. President OBama Treated people with respect and didn't make a fool of himself and the US internationally. Trump treats no one but Putin with respect. We disagreed with Bush, Romney, Bush senior, but they weren't total idiots like Trump and they genuinely cared about the country. Trump cares about no one but himself and Ivanka and getting more money. He treats no one except Putin with respect. Again, you cannot compare the two. There is no precedence for what is happening in the WH right now. It's a clown show, headed by the biggest clown ever in the Oval Office. Who could have predicted a bullying, narcissistic reality star would have troubles?
I disagree he has a real soft spot in his heart for Kim jong un; he was very sympathetic about him trying to rule as a young absolute monarch and empathized with him.

No, but he went out of his way to turn the industry in which I work upside down, with new DOL regulations that he didn't even present to congress, just shoved it through with his executive pen. I sent a letter to every congressman and senator from Indiana. Even senator Joe Donnelly sent a letter back to me, albeit a form letter, stating his vote against Obama's new DOL regulations. So yes, that regulation, in which virtually everyone in my field is against, could change my livelihood significantly. So yes, I do have a reason.
Like I said, you don't like some of his policies. There have been many presidents in the past where I disagreed with their policies. I didn't hate them. I hate Donald Trump and I don't throw the word around either. He personally insults and shames women constantly and everyone else he disagrees with. He's a horrible man and eventually he is going to pay the price.

On the surface, one would ask what the problem is. But once again, there are unintended consequences. I will give you one example:

Let's say you own a company that has 50 employees, and you have a 401k for your employees. And let's say I am the advisor on that plan, that helps you as owner, makes sure your plan in in compliance, and makes sure you have proper investment choices, etc. And let's say, in the past, I have come out twice a year to meet with your employees, offering them advice, education, etc as part of my service.

Then, let's say, that after 30 years working with you, Joe, your top guy, wants to retire, and he has 1,000,000 in the 401k. He has worked with me for the last 25 years. I have helped him with various financial matters, including education, maybe worked with an attorney in creating an estate plan, maybe helped him with some life insurance, and he wants to roll his 401k to an IRA with me at my firm. Guess what, he can't. That constitutes a conflict of interest under the new guidelines. There are many equally silly rules that I don't have time to get into, but there are many that are leaving us shaking our heads.

I don't have a million dollars ... yet ... but I have done all that stuff without the aid of a financial planner/advisor for next to nothing. Yeah my company passes mandatory fees on my 401k to me.. What do I get for that? Visits two times a year from someone who hodBombarded with e-mails and phone calls on how they can take more of my money. Why would Joe need your advice to roll over 401K? I think the idea was to stop having people exploited by charlatans. I know you Trumpsters frown upon that.

Last edited:
Well, without getting into the rule itself, I'll just remind you it is inaccurate to characterize this as some sort of executive order, which you implied. It followed the standard rulemaking procedure. It's also a red herring to complain that Congress wasn't consulted. Rulemaking bodies interpret laws. They do not preclear their interpretations with Congress. That would defeat the whole purpose of having rulemaking bodies.

So if you don't like the rule, whatever, but don't be mistaken about the process. It was done the way these things are supposed to be dine.
Also I think some of those fiduciary regulations were already in place as company policy at some of the financial houses. Hard to imagine someone arguing against a rule that discourages conflict of interest.

My dream scenario is that a 400# Russian guy living in a basement somewhere hacks Trump's bidness and steals all of his money. Then his hair falls out, and he dies penniless!:cool:
So, you're saying you want Pence to become president?

Also I think some of those fiduciary regulations were already in place as company policy at some of the financial houses. Hard to imagine someone arguing against a rule that discourages conflict of interest.
It's also important to distinguish between what the rule actually does, and what problems will be caused by how companies react to the rule. Jim mentioned some examples of bad outcomes in this thread, but I don't think any of them are outcomes spelled out in the rule itself; rather they are potential outcomes as a result of how brokerage houses and others respond to the rule, in order to minimize fiduciary relationships or situations in which a conflict of interest notice and waiver might be required. To me, that only highlights the potential reasons the new rule might be needed in the first place. If you're managing my money, and you have self-serving reasons to not want to be placed in a fiduciary role, then, well, I probably don't want you managing my money, anyway.

Reactions: HoosierPeach
He couldn't possibly be as bad as the Donald. I think he's more involved than he lets on. He's always got his nose up Trumps ass.
Ever notice that even to answer a simple question, he launches into a big over-serious oratorical response?

Reactions: largemouth
imageedit_2071_7448087889.jpg

Reactions: Bill4411
If I read this correctly, Jim is angry towards Obama because an agency, not Obama, passed a rule requiring people in the financial industry to be ethical towards clients? I don't even know how to respond to that. I don't think Jim is going to find too much sympathy from Goat or other attorneys, seeing is how attorneys, even though they take a beating from a lot of people, have to follow a lengthy ethical code if they want to continue practicing law. Welcome to the club, Jim!

Federalist Paper 68 is applicable and hitting pretty close to home these days. I don't think the goal of electing a qualified person of ability and virtue was met this past election. I also don't think the safeguard of electors performed the function of "protecting" the public from itself and preventing the public from electing somebody without said qualities. Say what you will about Hillary, but she was at least qualified for the job.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed68.asp

I have never understood why a head exploding is remotely funny to the Republicans? It always seemed really trite.

I understand, but what if the last frame was her frantically flipping through blank pages in a script (titled DNC playbook) to find THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE to chase after. Cliff Hanger! Would that appeal to your intellect a little more?

Have any of you guys who bet on sports bet on how long Trump is POTUS? What are the odds/over under on how long this goes on?

I originally said 24 months, up till now, but I feel like I've overestimated the Dems ability to actually impeach, (they are all bark and no bite), they're more interested in sound bites and innuendo than prosecutable evidence, so barring either the North Koreans or Soros finding a way to remove him I think he makes it thru his full term. Fasten your seat belts it's going to a bumpy ride!

I understand, but what if the last frame was her frantically flipping through blank pages in a script (titled DNC playbook) to find THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE to chase after. Cliff Hanger! Would that appeal to your intellect a little more?
Probably.

I originally said 24 months, up till now, but I feel like I've overestimated the Dems ability to actually impeach, (they are all bark and no bite), they're more interested in sound bites and innuendo than prosecutable evidence, so barring either the North Koreans or Soros finding a way to remove him I think he makes it thru his full term. Fasten your seat belts it's going to a bumpy ride!
Well maybe that's because it wouldn't be the Dems impeaching . They don't have the numbers . It has to be a GOP. Still under question whether there are enough of those with integrity to do anything about this.

I'm enjoying the conservatives, some of them anyway, bend over backwards to defend this indefensible buffoon. It truly is fun. Top of the list of excuses is "....but Hillary!!!" (She was a terrible candidate...yadda yadda yadda...)

Today on Twitter t basically blackmails/threatens Comey with threats of taped conversations, or tries to anyway. He's terrified Comey will open his mouth now. Russia trolls the whitehouse by posting photos of their meeting yesterday. Every hour something new. What's next??
I agree, it's fun to watch them make fools of themselves. Usually with little to no prompting.

Well maybe that's because it wouldn't be the Dems impeaching . They don't have the numbers . It has to be a GOP. Still under question whether there are enough of those with integrity to do anything about this.

Integrity? You're talking about Congress. I would estimate well over 75%, on both sides of the aisle, care only about being reelected.

Greg Popovich summed it up PERFECTLY:

Pop’s thoughts:

“Usually things happen and you go to work and you got your family and you do what you do. But to this day I feel like there’s a dark cloud, a pall over the whole country. It’s got nothing to do with the Democrats losing the election. It’s got to do with the way one individual conducts himself. And that’s embarrassing. It’s dangerous to our institutions, and what we all stand for and what we expect the country to be. But for this individual, he’s in a game show. And everything that happens begins and ends with him. Not our people or our country; every time he talks about those things, it’s just a ruse. That’s just disingenuous, cynical and fake.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/gregg...y-since-donald-trumps-election-193611505.html

If I read this correctly, Jim is angry towards Obama because an agency, not Obama, passed a rule requiring people in the financial industry to be ethical towards clients? I don't even know how to respond to that. I don't think Jim is going to find too much sympathy from Goat or other attorneys, seeing is how attorneys, even though they take a beating from a lot of people, have to follow a lengthy ethical code if they want to continue practicing law. Welcome to the club, Jim!

Federalist Paper 68 is applicable and hitting pretty close to home these days. I don't think the goal of electing a qualified person of ability and virtue was met this past election. I also don't think the safeguard of electors performed the function of "protecting" the public from itself and preventing the public from electing somebody without said qualities. Say what you will about Hillary, but she was at least qualified for the job.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed68.asp
Haven't a lot of states passed laws requiring the electors to follow the popular vote in tjose states?

Haven't a lot of states passed laws requiring the electors to follow the popular vote in those states?

Faithless electors are rare and many states have laws against it. Thus these men/women meeting to actually decide the election is really just a formality and an historical oddity. That's not one of the main issues with the electoral college. The main issues, it seems to me, are:

1) disproportionate influence of the less populated states.
2) all or none allocation, though some states do it differently, which is a problem of consistency
3) Most states are totally ignored in the campaiging process, since they are "so red" or "so blue" that they are not up for grabs
4) a few "swing states" get all the attention and all of the special promises. candidates are plugging special interests of regional voters rather than the broader interests of the country.
5) It disfavors third parties, and we have two parties in power that SUCK.
6) it really makes no sense in a society that claims to value democracy and the equality of individuals. Remember: the EC was put in, in part, so that "learned men" in all states would serve as electors and these elites could correct a situation where the supposedly ignorant masses voted "the wrong way"

You're seriously a really really stupid person.
Do you think that it is at all possible that because of your hatred for Donald Trump you are mistaken? There is no evidence of Russian collusion with the Trump campaign. The President wanted to know about the ongoing investigation and Comey said the investigation is about Russian hacking and NOT ABOUT HIM.

Van, that sentence references what is clearly an attempt by a lawyer to create a record regarding a set of facts to Trump's advantage. It jumps off the page to anyone who has worked on likely litigation before the case is actually filed as an attempt to pin the opposition with a factual result that the opposition is likely to dispute.

In my view it is an incredibly clumsy attempt too, in part because (1) (as Charles Krauthammer notes: https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/...iring-comey-is-almost-inexplicable-heres-why/) it is a bread crumb trail to the concern that is really on Trump's mind - which isn't the Clinton emails, it's the Trump/Russia collusion/coverup scandal - and (2) the letter's effect of firing Comey means that Comey doesn't have to respond to refute the assertion because he's no longer in the official capacity that the assertion could be used against. At this point it strikes me as one of the dumbest pre-litigation letters I've ever seen . . . .
Is it possible the President watches the news and since he is being told he is being investigated he wants to know if it's true. Of course I am not a lawyer,but isn't this possible?

Do you think that it is at all possible that because of your hatred for Donald Trump you are mistaken? There is no evidence of Russian collusion with the Trump campaign. The President wanted to know about the ongoing investigation and Comey said the investigation is about Russian hacking and NOT ABOUT HIM.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on today's news?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on today's news?

Federalist 68:

"Nothing was more to be desired than that every practicable obstacle should be opposed to cabal, intrigue, and corruption. These most deadly adversaries of republican government might naturally have been expected to make their approaches from more than one quarter, but chiefly from the desire in foreign powers to gain an improper ascendant in our councils. How could they better gratify this, than by raising a creature of their own to the chief magistracy of the Union?"

Federalist 68:

"Nothing was more to be desired than that every practicable obstacle should be opposed to cabal, intrigue, and corruption. These most deadly adversaries of republican government might naturally have been expected to make their approaches from more than one quarter, but chiefly from the desire in foreign powers to gain an improper ascendant in our councils. How could they better gratify this, than by raising a creature of their own to the chief magistracy of the Union?"
Alexander Hamilton, my name is Alexander Hamilton...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT