ADVERTISEMENT

Special Prosecutor for Jan 6 and classified docs cases involving Trump

Hmmmm looks like no one wants to discuss this. Not sure exactly what it means. Reading up on it.

Here we go. Let's hope this doesn't slow things down.

The FBI already leaked that the Mar-a-Lago raid was a big nothingburger. The point of special counsel is either to save Garland and main justice from looking silly, or harassment, or most likely both. Yeah, using the ham sandwich principle of criminal law, there probably will be something, but it will be penny ante.

It means Trump announced he's running for President. A special prosecutor is the only way to at least try to curtail even the appearance of impropriety.

Another damn Boy Scout as AG. Like Comey and his reopening of the Clinton probe, all this ass covering plays right into Trump's hands. It's not like a recommendation from Smith will be viewed as any less partisan than an internal one.

They've got him dead to rights on the theft of classified documents and obstruction surrounding that. Do your job and charge the bastard for fvck's sake.

Another damn Boy Scout as AG. Like Comey and his reopening of the Clinton probe, all this ass covering plays right into Trump's hands. It's not like a recommendation from Smith will be viewed as any less partisan than an internal one.

They've got him dead to rights on the theft of classified documents and obstruction surrounding that. Do your job and charge the bastard for fvck's sake.
Spot on.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

It's not about this one case, UncleMark. It's about being cognizant of precedent (not the judicial kind) and what could conceivably happen in the future in other situations.

I think this is the right move, even if there are people so partisanly charged that they think the special prosecutor is politically motivated.

Reactions: jet812
It's not about this one case, UncleMark. It's about being cognizant of precedent (not the judicial kind) and what could conceivably happen in the future in other situations.

I think this is the right move, even if there are people so partisanly charged that they think the special prosecutor is politically motivated.
Two failed impeachments, ( one after he left office) a failed special counsel probe, a falsified FISA warrent application, a concocted conspiracy story by a political opponent, a failed New York criminal probe, lying and deception by the FBI director and Deputy Director about supposed wrongdoing, an unprecedented search warrant of a residence (including the first lady’s dresser) that yielded nothing significant, raids and excessively aggressive government actions against associates, (one already a failure) and now another special counsel, of a former president by a bitter political cadre is not a good look for the US. The potential charges that we know of are minor and penny ante and the conduct they are based upon are likely not unlike that of other past office holders. We aren’t talking about serious offenses. Not a good look for the United States.

Two failed impeachments, ( one after he left office) a failed special counsel probe, a falsified FISA warrent application, a concocted conspiracy story by a political opponent, a failed New York criminal probe, lying and deception by the FBI director and Deputy Director about supposed wrongdoing, an unprecedented search warrant of a residence (including the first lady’s dresser) that yielded nothing significant, raids and excessively aggressive government actions against associates, (one already a failure) and now another special counsel, of a former president by a bitter political cadre is not a good look for the US. The potential charges that we know of are minor and penny ante and the conduct they are based upon are likely not unlike that of other past office holders. We aren’t talking about serious offenses. Not a good look for the United States.
Failed impeachments? That’s not a good argument. The only reason the imoeachments failed was because there are very few Republican Senators who have enough integrity and aren’t afraid of Trump. Remember when they voted against calling witnesses? And then after Bolton’s book came out they lamented not having that information? That was the joke, not the impeachment. He should have been found guilty both times. Wonder how many Republicans wish now they had done the right thing? The only bad look for the US is that they keep letting the criminal kick the can down the road.

Garland was afraid to charge and he was afraid not to charge. He did the pussy thing. He passed it on and created a bunch of useless jobs and waste of money the next two years. Lots of leftest attorneys will have jobs the next couple years.

I get all that. If Trump would just STFU and fade away, much like what Nixon did, I'd be okay with them not going after him with everything they have. But he can't be allowed to not face any consequences for his actions. What kind of precedent would that set, and what could conceivably happen in the future if that was the outcome?

The only people who think this will be perceived as any more apolitical or transparent and any less partisan than having the DoJ itself taking care of business are the people who believe their own bullshit. They might feel better. No one else will look at the outcome and feel better about it, no matter what that might be.

...an unprecedented search warrant of a residence (including the first lady’s dresser) that yielded nothing significant...

The potential charges that we know of are minor and penny ante and the conduct they are based upon are likely not unlike that of other past office holders.

So the theft of classified documents and the obstruction surrounding the return of same are nothing significant, minor, and petty ante...

Remind me again what kind of consequences HRC should face over for having classified documents on her email server.

I get all that. If Trump would just STFU and fade away, much like what Nixon did, I'd be okay with them not going after him with everything they have. But he can't be allowed to not face any consequences for his actions. What kind of precedent would that set, and what could conceivably happen in the future if that was the outcome?

The only people who think this will be perceived as any more apolitical or transparent and any less partisan than having the DoJ itself taking care of business are the people who believe their own bullshit. They might feel better. No one else will look at the outcome and feel better about it, no matter what that might be.
I agree with your first point but not your second.

If and when the Repubs get back in power, they are going to be looking for payback. Setting a precedent in this situation let’s people argue for it in the future (not saying it will win the day at that time but it will make it harder to use DoJ to prosecute political opponents).

Reactions: DANC and jet812
If and when the Repubs get back in power, they are going to be looking for payback. Setting a precedent in this situation let’s people argue for it in the future (not saying it will win the day at that time but it will make it harder to use DoJ to prosecute political opponents).

Maybe I just find all the machinations to be silly when the "Special Prosecutor" is appointed by the AG, reports to the AG, and doesn't have the power to charge or not charge -- that's up to the AG. Like stoll said, it's almost like a jobs program for out of work prosecutors. Subcontract out this job to them. That way if it doesn't suit people, Garland can shrug his shoulders and point to them.

Last edited:

Laurence Tribe (the guy who literally wrote the book on Constitutional Law) argued recently that there was no need for a special counsel and that the appointment of one could create an unnecessary delay. He now says he's ok with it because he's convinced Smith will move expeditiously.

One of the reasons for the belief that Smith's investigation will proceed quickly is the fact that DOJ career staff who have been working these cases will continue in their roles. This undermines the conflict of interest/appearance of impropriety justification for the appointment of the special counsel.

And Smith will ultimately simply make a recommendation. The final charging decision is still Garland's.

An argument can be made that it's actually Biden who has effed this up. His announcement that he intends to run (which, in all likelihood, is intended solely to delay lame duck status) likely forced Garland's hand.

The Mar-A-Lago matter is an open and shut documents case. Hopefully Smith can quickly get up to speed, with Trump charged in the first quarter of the new year.

Laurence Tribe (the guy who literally wrote the book on Constitutional Law) argued recently that there was no need for a special counsel and that the appointment of one could create an unnecessary delay. He now says he's ok with it because he's convinced Smith will move expeditiously.

One of the reasons for the belief that Smith's investigation will proceed quickly is the fact that DOJ career staff who have been working these cases will continue in their roles. This undermines the conflict of interest/appearance of impropriety justification for the appointment of the special counsel.

And Smith will ultimately simply make a recommendation. The final charging decision is still Garland's.

An argument can be made that it's actually Biden who has effed this up. His announcement that he intends to run (which, in all likelihood, is intended solely to delay lame duck status) likely forced Garland's hand.

The Mar-A-Lago matter is an open and shut documents case. Hopefully Smith can quickly get up to speed, with Trump charged in the first quarter of the new year.

I hope that's the case. My whole beef is about any delay this might bring. That's Trumps default tactic, delay, delay, delay, hoping to run out the clock or simply making people believe there's nothing there to begin with. Why in the world would Garland play the same hand?

This needs to get real next year, the earlier the better. Charge him in the docs case and see how that plays out, while at the same time work to solidify any Jan 6 charges that could be laid later.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania and DANC
I hope that's the case. My whole beef is about any delay this might bring. That's Trumps default tactic, delay, delay, delay, hoping to run out the clock or simply making people believe there's nothing there to begin with. Why in the world would Garland play the same hand?

This needs to get real next year, the earlier the better. Charge him in the docs case and see how that plays out, while at the same time work to solidify any Jan 6 charges that could be laid later.
Trust me, Mark, your fellow Dims want no part of a public testimony of Trump. No way any of this goes to trial. Too much would come out about Democrat wrong-doings.

What we'll have are 'reports' that cast aspersions but produce no Trump indictment - maybe some convictions of his buddies on taxes.

Notice how Garland waited until after the Trump announcement? Now why do you think that is???

Of course he waited until Trump announced his intentions to run.

Then the Dims can say "See, he's under investigation!". Just like the Russian Comspiracy lie. They drew that out as much as they could to influence the elections.

And in the end - zip. Just like this 'investigation' will end up.

I had no idea you have such intimate knowledge of those documents. You must be part of the DOJ, because we know they wouldn't mislead anyone with leaks.....

Why aren't you on the prosecution team?

Garland was afraid to charge and he was afraid not to charge. He did the pussy thing. He passed it on and created a bunch of useless jobs and waste of money the next two years. Lots of leftest attorneys will have jobs the next couple years.
Thank GOD for Mitch McConnell, who kept him off the SC. The US Constitution dodged a bullet with that one.

So the theft of classified documents and the obstruction surrounding the return of same are nothing significant, minor, and petty ante...

Remind me again what kind of consequences HRC should face over for having classified documents on her email server.
Remind me again what kind of consequences HRC faced for having classified documents on her email server?

Failed impeachments? That’s not a good argument. The only reason the imoeachments failed was because there are very few Republican Senators who have enough integrity and aren’t afraid of Trump.
Don’t agree. A legit and non-political case to impeach a President would have gotten bi-partisan support. These impeachments we’re nothing but cheap political showmanship. They disgraced congress in ways that are probably permanent stains.

Absolutely bizarre behavior by Democrat members.

Last edited:
Trust me, Mark, your fellow Dims want no part of a public testimony of Trump. No way any of this goes to trial. Too much would come out about Democrat wrong-doings.

What we'll have are 'reports' that cast aspersions but produce no Trump indictment - maybe some convictions of his buddies on taxes.

Notice how Garland waited until after the Trump announcement? Now why do you think that is???
Oh you are so wrong. I think everyone would love to get Trump under oath. He’s either have to constantly take the Fifth or constantly lie. Get the popcorn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT