ADVERTISEMENT

So face it guys, the recruiting has been subpar and I am being kind

We had arguably an AA in TJD, lottery pick possibly in JHS, a six year guy in Race, 5th year guy in Kopp and two top 40 players coming off the bench. This team has talents but either scheme, focus, coaching, culture is off. This team shouldn’t be talent wise, a 21-25 best team in country and being swept by teams like PSU, Iowa and NW.
It makes me smile when people over-estimate incoming talent then complain when the talent dosen't live up to THEIR expectations. And, I am not saying the talent of TJD and JHS was over-estimated.

He isn’t THE problem, but also doesn’t provide much if he isn’t scoring. He’s the perfect energy guy off the bench.
Neither did Dennis Rodman, Buck Johnson, on and on and on. At IU, Chris Reynolds, Hillman, Steve Eyl, Jamal Meeks, Jim Thomas, Quinn.... we've had tons of guys contribute on good teams who weren't scorers, as starters and otherwise. Every team needs role players who do the dirty stuff to win. One of the biggest things lacking from our rosters in the last 20 years I believe. I'll let CMW decide where/when he plays, but he can start and doesn't have to score much IF we have guys around him who can. If X comes back and Malik makes the jump I am thinking is coming, that's a great start. With Galloway's improved shooting, I could see him start to sniff double digits next season.

Neither did Dennis Rodman, Buck Johnson, on and on and on. At IU, Chris Reynolds, Hillman, Steve Eyl, Jamal Meeks, Jim Thomas, Quinn.... we've had tons of guys contribute on good teams who weren't scorers, as starters and otherwise. Every team needs role players who do the dirty stuff to win. One of the biggest things lacking from our rosters in the last 20 years I believe. I'll let CMW decide where/when he plays, but he can start and doesn't have to score much IF we have guys around him who can. If X comes back and Malik makes the jump I am thinking is coming, that's a great start. With Galloway's improved shooting, I could see him start to sniff double digits next season.
Sure, Galloway is fine as a starter if he’s surrounded by a ton of talent. We will see if that’s the case next year, but it will require 3 or 4 studs from the portal.

Sure, Galloway is fine as a starter if he’s surrounded by a ton of talent. We will see if that’s the case next year, but it will require 3 or 4 studs from the portal.
You vastly underestimate Galloway's game, imo. He is a winning player. He plays defense, makes smart offensive reads others miss, is one of our only players that actually boxes out, has more energy than any other player on our team, etc. etc. etc. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Reactions: asindc
You vastly underestimate Galloway's game, imo. He is a winning player. He plays defense, makes smart offensive reads others miss, is one of our only players that actually boxes out, has more energy than any other player on our team, etc. etc. etc. You're barking up the wrong tree.
And you vastly overrated it, imo. His defense is very overrated by most. He brings tons of energy and hustles, and that often gets mistaken for good defense. He’s had a rough last few games.

He’s a high floor, low ceiling player. He’s fine as a starter as long as he’s surrounded by scorers.

This board has been filled with idiots for a long time. You shouldn’t be surprised
I haven't been around in ages, but the same idiots are still here. The complaining! Could the chronic whiners just spend some time on other forums? I mean, there is NO complaining about their coaches...right? Let's just consider the BIG for now. Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota, are questioning their coaches abilities and decisions pretty much daily. Even Rutgers, while generally happy with their coach, cannot figure out why he can't manage to put together a worthy preseason schedule that could get them into the tournament.

Believe it or not, some Michigan State fans think their coach has lost his mojo, and even the almighty Boilers are talking about their annual March flop. This is not an Indiana problem. This is an idiot problem. In a conference that hasn't exactly set the tournament on fire, we have IU fans complaining that we aren't as good as the other Big coaches, that apparently suck too. And lol, Kentucky fans?? Has Cal hired a food tester? I worry for his safety.

Relax idiots. IU has a really good coach. He's good for many reasons and he hasn't swatted any other coaches like another NBA coach.

And you vastly overrated it, imo. His defense is very overrated by most. He brings tons of energy and hustles, and that often gets mistaken for good defense. He’s had a rough last few games.

He’s a high floor, low ceiling player. He’s fine as a starter as long as he’s surrounded by scorers.
He hustles his way out of position a lot by gambling in the passing lanes. I respect him for playing hard but I do not like his game at all. I like smooth shooting guards thank can create offense off the dribble

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Agree with the first part. Being a 'glue guy' implies there's something to keep together. But nobody gets 3 or 4 studs from the portal in one year.

If I recall correctly Bobby Knight would always say that the goal of the season was to win the Big 10. He did not make any decrees about winning national championships. Woody came in saying that the goal of the program was to win national championships. So naturally that got the fan base really excited.

Both of those guys are at Indiana because Mike Woodson is the basketball coach. I wouldn't call that luck. But to the extent that the cupboards were bare at Indiana, Woodson was able to recruit them giving them all but a guarantee that they get playing time is freshman ez

5 years? We're on 20 years and counting. unless you're counting the goose egg that Indiana laid against Syracuse in their zone defense in 2016.
2013? We lost to UNC in Sweet Sixteen in 2016

So you mean our explosive athletes at the 3/4 like JG, Banks, and Newton aren’t enough, we need yet another low skill high athleticism player?

We need an upgrade at the 4, there is no doubt, but Coen Carr is not the answer. We need a 4 with a similar play style to those you mentioned above.
Jesus Christ. Nowhere once did I ever say Coen Carr was the answer to our problem at the 4 next year. You’re literally extrapolating something to fit a narrative that simply does not exist.

I said my only gripe with the staff in terms of recruiting in 2023 is that they simply stopped recruiting Carr who at one point was a solid lean. Banks, Newton, Geronimo are all very good athletes, they aren’t in the same stratosphere as Carr however. Carr has the frame to put on 25-30 lbs and can be an elite defender in this conference. IU doesn’t have an elite perimeter defender on the roster or coming in. Staff could have still taken Carr and recruited immediate help at the 4. Neither are mutually exclusive. Get your head out of your ass.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Jesus Christ. Nowhere once did I ever say Coen Carr was the answer to our problem at the 4 next year. You’re literally extrapolating something to fit a narrative that simply does not exist.

I said my only gripe with the staff in terms of recruiting in 2023 is that they simply stopped recruiting Carr who at one point was a solid lean. Banks, Newton, Geronimo are all very good athletes, they aren’t in the same stratosphere as Carr however. Carr has the frame to put on 25-30 lbs and can be an elite defender in this conference. IU doesn’t have an elite perimeter defender on the roster or coming in. Staff could have still taken Carr and recruited immediate help at the 4. Neither are mutually exclusive. Get your head out of your ass.
This is exactly how you originally responded to me asking how Carr helps IU next year:

"
Coen Carr is the most explosive athlete in the class and can guard out on the perimeter. IU has been abused all year by teams who have an athletic 4 man who can score inside out; Tubelis, Jalen Wilson, and Murray x2.

Did you watch any of the games?"

Why would you bring up IU being abused by athletic 4s who can score inside and out if you weren't insinuating that you think Carr can be that guy or would guard that guy?

Carr is not much more athletic than Newton, Banks, or Geronimo, and he's probably the least skilled out of all of them. We don't need a Coen Carr. We know your player projections are shaky at best after all the hyping up of Gunn you did in the offseason.

I marvel when someone posts an opinion and it’s accepted as fact by everyone. “Our recruiting has been bad…”. This is Woody’s first freshman class: JHS is NBA bound, Malik is a major contributor; Gunn was not expected to play much this season but figures into the future; Banks has played limited but key minutes. Freshmen do not typically play lots of minutes when the core of a NCAA tournament caliber team returns mostly intact! Some players don’t pan out, some get injured, some will flourish elsewhere, etc. But Crean certainly had a good run of talented recruits, Archie did not leave the cupboards bare, and Woody has had a strong start. Purdue had a great season, and aside from Edey, there’s no one in the roster that’s a great talent. They had Williams and a Top 5 pick in NBA draft leave yet they have accomplished more without. The point is, you don’t need all 5* players to compete at a high level. Our recruiting has been good enough to compete even after a most difficult time under Archie where we were dead in the water in terms of a presence nationally. We’ll have scholarships to fill via portal, and we might lose a couple due to transfer. Next season might be a step backwards, but until the portal dust settles we won’t really know.
He only signed a top 10 class his first cycle. He should be fired!

This is exactly how you originally responded to me asking how Carr helps IU next year:

"
Coen Carr is the most explosive athlete in the class and can guard out on the perimeter. IU has been abused all year by teams who have an athletic 4 man who can score inside out; Tubelis, Jalen Wilson, and Murray x2.

Did you watch any of the games?"

Why would you bring up IU being abused by athletic 4s who can score inside and out if you weren't insinuating that you think Carr can be that guy or would guard that guy?

Carr is not much more athletic than Newton, Banks, or Geronimo, and he's probably the least skilled out of all of them. We don't need a Coen Carr. We know your player projections are shaky at best after all the hyping up of Gunn you did in the offseason.
You asked how he could help next year. I answered. Never stated or inferred he’d be the starting 4 next year, in fact, I explicitly stated (in this thread) that IU would need to look for a proven 4 in the portal to start alongside Reneau.

Carr is twice the athlete of Banks and has 4 inches on Newton. Newton will never be tasked with guarding someone like Kris Murray or Jalen Wilson. Geronimo has been in the program 3 years now and is no more suited now to fill that perimeter role than when he came in. Fact is, IU desperately needs length and athleticism out on the perimeter, Carr checks both those boxes. Carr has Branden Dawson written all over him. It’s a huge why Izzo got in on him late.

You asked how he could help next year. I answered. Never stated or inferred he’d be the starting 4 next year, in fact, I explicitly stated (in this thread) that IU would need to look for a proven 4 in the portal to start alongside Reneau.

Carr is twice the athlete of Banks and has 4 inches on Newton. Newton will never be tasked with guarding someone like Kris Murray or Jalen Wilson. Geronimo has been in the program 3 years now and is no more suited now to fill that perimeter role than when he came in. Fact is, IU desperately needs length and athleticism out on the perimeter, Carr checks both those boxes. Carr has Branden Dawson written all over him. It’s a huge why Izzo got in on him late.
No, Carr has bust written all over him. Woodson’s track record with pure athletes with no skill is not great. We need something much different than Coen Carr.

I don't agree with much of this post, especially your Galloway take. Galloway is a winning player. He makes winning plays. We need more players like Galloway, imo.

It takes most freshman some time to get acclimated to the college game. Gunn and Banks have a chance to be very good players, imo.

Half of most teams players rarely leave the bench. C'mon man.
Have you noticed that Galloway usually gives up more points defensively than any other player? True, he is often asked to guard the best guard on the opponent, but usually that guy is the highest scorer on his team. And offensively, Galloway is a less than average shooter. Just saying the truth.

Have you noticed that Galloway usually gives up more points defensively than any other player? True, he is often asked to guard the best guard on the opponent, but usually that guy is the highest scorer on his team. And offensively, Galloway is a less than average shooter. Just saying the truth.
Less than average shooter? 3P% is 45.2%, FG 47.3% for 2022-23. That’s not close to less than average, especially 3P%, which is way above average.

Lol. You picked a doozy to pick on. He’s playing out of position most of the time.

Lol. You picked a doozy to pick on. He’s playing out of position most of the time.
Love the guy, as most do on here, but not all 45% 3 point shooters are created equal. He only averages 3 3 pt attempts every 40 minutes played. Also, 10 points and 3 assists. So, he's efficient in what he does, but not all that productive. Also, just an average defensive player. He's not the problem, but he's also not the solution. Hopefully, he'll have more of an impact next year.

You mean you are stating your truth, not THE TRUTH. Galloway is shooting 47.1% from the field, and 45.2% from 3. Those are not "less than average" shooting stats. by comparison, JHS shoots 42.2% from the field and 34.7% from 3.

Galloway passes up too many good looks, imo. I'd love to see him shoot more, even though that would likely mean his %'s will fall some.

Agree. And Galloway could have easily averaged double digits this season if he took a few more shots. He's actually shot quite well this season. I think he passes up a few too many open looks, but I love how he plays.

Love the guy, as most do on here, but not all 45% 3 point shooters are created equal. He only averages 3 3 pt attempts every 40 minutes played. Also, 10 points and 3 assists. So, he's efficient in what he does, but not all that productive. Also, just an average defensive player. He's not the problem, but he's also not the solution. Hopefully, he'll have more of an impact next year.
You guys are crazy. Galloway has had a major impact this year. He passes up too many open 3's, imo. He should be encouraged to shoot more. He's been solid from the floor.

Hope not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT