ADVERTISEMENT

Guesses on the finish?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I say we lose both the road games, and beat Sparty, to finish 16-15, and 8-12.

No way of knowing for sure, but would likely put us in line for the 11th seed, and would play Michigan on the first day of the BTT.

I'd give us that win, and then a loss on the 2nd day.

17-16...

Does that get us an NIT bid if that's how it plays out? Anyone care?

I think having the season officially over as soon as possible, no matter what happens with Coach Woodson, is probably what's best for our program right now. Sooner we'd have a new coach...or more likely, sooner Woody can offically start overhauling the roster with portal kids and late signee HS kids.

No way of knowing for sure, but would likely put us in line for the 11th seed, and would play Michigan on the first day of the BTT.

17-16...

I think having the season officially over as soon as possible, no matter what happens with Coach Woodson, is probably what's best for our program right now. Sooner we'd have a new coach...or more likely, sooner Woody can offically start overhauling the roster with portal kids and late signee HS kids.
Yep. Get it over with. Throw dirt on this season and move on to whatever is next.

Can’t actually see the value of the NIT at all anymore. It used to be beneficial for really young teams to get tournament experience. Portal has killed that idea now.

17-16...

Most just want it to be over as fast as possible. We would almost certainly get a road game in NIT anyway and would lose. Lets just get this thing over with and pray we get a new coach. The last thing I want is Woodson trying to over haul any roster he is the reason we are in this mess. Besides you do not build a program from the portal which is the biggest issue with woodson as his fall recruiting stinks.

17-16...

That would be my guess.

Then it’s portal time as Woody builds half of next year’s team from whatever is in there.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
That would be my guess.

Then it’s portal time as Woody builds half of next year’s team from whatever is in there.
Half. Let that sink in for a minute. The once proud - and virtually unquestioned crown jewel of the Big Ten conference - has been reduced to picking up scraps from other schools trash cans. Half is 6 or 7 players. That’s sobering.

Yep. Get it over with. Throw dirt on this season and move on to whatever is next.

Can’t actually see the value of the NIT at all anymore. It used to be beneficial for really young teams to get tournament experience. Portal has killed that idea now.
If we get an NIT bid it is likely two and perhaps three starters won’t play

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I think we lose out. IU got lucky with fire alarm fiasco. Huge momentum killer for Badgers. Also a career game from Ware. Our guards still suck

17-16...

Sounds about right. I wonder if IU would follow UNC's move from.last season and refuse an NIT bid.

Sounds about right. I wonder if IU would follow UNC's move from.last season and refuse an NIT bid.
We probably should. Ware and whoever else going pro or xferring will probably sit out. It would be a road game and we will get killed. Staff should be focused on the portal since we need half a team from the portal for next year. There is no material $ in it.

If we had a team all returning next year it starts to become good experience. Don’t see it here.

Last edited:
Duke, UNC, Louisville, Xavier, Seton Hall all refused an NIT bid. IU, under Archie did not refuse one. But...Archie announced it would not accept a bid...and one didn't come. Not the same thing. IU...as far as I know, has never turned an invitation down to the NIT. Correct me if I am wrong. I think IU would accept a bid no matter where the game is held. We are still living, and earning a living....in the past.

17-16...

Sounds right, I just hope we decide to move on from Woody after the season. Next year will be a rebuild anyway

Reactions: Seyton
Duke, UNC, Louisville, Xavier, Seton Hall all refused an NIT bid. IU, under Archie did not refuse one. But...Archie announced it would not accept a bid...and one didn't come. Not the same thing. IU...as far as I know, has never turned an invitation down to the NIT. Correct me if I am wrong. I think IU would accept a bid no matter where the game is held. We are still living, and earning a living....in the past.

Didn't turn it down but Crean chose to not host because he and Glass deter that it would be a bad look to have an NIT game with a sparse crowd on TV.

NIT meant more when the NCAA was 32 teams, or even before when they took only the regular season conference champs.

Now I'm surprised it's even profitable, more and more players just opt out and schools decline invites.

Didn't turn it down but Crean chose to not host because he and Glass deter that it would be a bad look to have an NIT game with a sparse crowd on TV.
Smart. I went to the Vandy game in 2005 (dumb move) and that was a record low AH crowd of about 5K.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Lots of unresolved variables at play.

If we win more games than I listed, and have actually established good play the last couple weeks...keeping that momentum going might be something the staff thinks about.

If the staff thinks they need the NIT to solidify their job status...obviously that would play a role.

How many kids would commit to playing the NIT game/games would play a role. Or maybe better put, who and how many would opt out...obviously most would play.

We might not get invited...even if we're above .500 overall.

To be honest I see 0-4. They might all be competitive but I just don't see this group getting wins on the road at Minnesota (they'll outshoot us) and Maryland (Young in particular, but also Reese, will kill us) and Michigan State, frankly, will out-tough us.

A that point we'll be a 12 or 13 seed with a lot of negativity around the team and lose an uninspired game against Rutgers, Ohio State, Penn State or Maryland.

To be honest I see 0-4. They might all be competitive but I just don't see this group getting wins on the road at Minnesota (they'll outshoot us) and Maryland (Young in particular, but also Reese, will kill us) and Michigan State, frankly, will out-tough us.

A that point we'll be a 12 or 13 seed with a lot of negativity around the team and lose an uninspired game against Rutgers, Ohio State, Penn State or Maryland.
Maryland is not very good but it is a road game so we could easily lose. There is no way we are winning at Minnesota and Izzo will need that last win bad so I see that as a loss also.

17-16...

Would we even have the bodies to field an NIT team? No chance Ware is playing in the NIT. I believe Gunn and Banks are in the portal within 24 hours of the BTT ending. I could see someone like MM getting "professional advice" to sit out as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT