ADVERTISEMENT

So face it guys, the recruiting has been subpar and I am being kind

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
Yes, Trace, Race, Yogi and Jordan Hull panned out and became or are great players for our Hoosiers. But over the last ten years, the vast majority of our recruits have bombed out. On this site, I have read nothing but praise for every kid that we have signed but yet, I usually end up disappointed because they bomb out or do not develop or are rarely as good as we told they were. From Romeo, to Kristen, to Amman, to Rob and the list goes on. On our current team, Leal, Gunn, Shipp, Banks etc. rarely play or, like Galloway, make more errors than a D I player should make. So is it the coaching or is it the fact that we are looking for the wrong type of player or is high school ball in Indiana not nearly as good as this panel on Peegs thinks it is? Half of our team rarely leaves the bench. Yes, something is wrong with that.

Yes, Trace, Race, Yogi and Jordan Hull panned out and became or are great players for our Hoosiers. But over the last ten years, the vast majority of our recruits have bombed out. On this site, I have read nothing but praise for every kid that we have signed but yet, I usually end up disappointed because they bomb out or do not develop or are rarely as good as we told they were. From Romeo, to Kristen, to Amman, to Rob and the list goes on. On our current team, Leal, Gunn, Shipp, Banks etc. rarely play or, like Galloway, make more errors than a D I player should make. So is it the coaching or is it the fact that we are looking for the wrong type of player or is high school ball in Indiana not nearly as good as this panel on Peegs thinks it is? Half of our team rarely leaves the bench. Yes, something is wrong with that.

Did you see Duke last night? That's what happens when a baton is passed the right way, and the former coach goes out supportive of the program.

We are still paying for Knight and the way it ended, and his protracted disdain for IU and the mixed feelings fans have about him.

The energy is intense but not as positive as it needs to be, plus college b-ball has changed and the playing field is leveled. And also the BT just isn't very competitive...

Did you see Duke last night? That's what happens when a baton is passed the right way, and the former coach goes out supportive of the program.

We are still paying for Knight and the way it ended, and his protracted disdain for IU and the mixed feelings fans have about him.

The energy is intense but not as positive as it needs to be, plus college b-ball has changed and the playing field is leveled. And also the BT just isn't very competitive...
How is the Big Ten not competitive? In relation to what?

I'm not so sure about IU's talent being an issue. This is now the 3rd straight year that one of our transfers have played starring roles on teams which have spent time ranked in the AP Top 10.

Justin Smith was an enigma at IU, then transferred to Arkansas and was awesome on a Razorback team that got a #3 seed and went to the Elite 8. Last year it was Al Durham at Providence. This year we've got Franklin at UVA and Hunter at Xavier. Hunter wasn't doing much at the beginning of the season, but I saw that he's been averaging 10 and 6 the last 15 games or so and has very rarely shot a 3.

I'm questioning your view of Shipp and TG. Does Shipp hold a scholarship? As far as Galloway, yesterday he had 5 boards, 2 assists, 0 turnovers. He is not a torrid shooter but an opportunistic scorer and a blue collar defender normally assigned the opponents best backcourt threat. Leal I understand your criticism but for the Frosh, I don't agree.

Player development at IU is lacking. I hate painter but his guys get better. Hell look at guys like Edey, and Gillis. Guys that were not highly recruited who come in become major players

Talent is not the issue..Let’s give it sometime. I feel Woody needs a couple more years. The big issues will be getting the right person to take over, when it’s time.

We won over 20 games
3rd in the Big Ten

JHS, Malik, Bates are not roadkill. That’s some talent. In only Woodys 2nd season. Questions will start to be answered next season.
TJD/JHS/Race/Kopp are gone.
Xavier?/Malik/Bates/Banks return with Galloway/Geronimo?/CJ Gunn couple freshman incoming and portal.
So let’s take await and see stance.

My ramblings on a Sunday morning..

Talent is not the issue..Let’s give it sometime. I feel Woody needs a couple more years. The big issues will be getting the right person to take over, when it’s time.

We won over 20 games
3rd in the Big Ten

JHS, Malik, Bates are not roadkill. That’s some talent. In only Woodys 2nd season. Questions will start to be answered next season.
Xavier?/Malik/Bates/Banks return with Galloway/Geronimo?/CJ Gunn couple freshman incoming and portal.

We had arguably an AA in TJD, lottery pick possibly in JHS, a six year guy in Race, 5th year guy in Kopp and two top 40 players coming off the bench. This team has talents but either scheme, focus, coaching, culture is off. This team shouldn’t be talent wise, a 21-25 best team in country and being swept by teams like PSU, Iowa and NW.

We won over 20 games
3rd in the Big Ten

How has your stance worked for the football program?

Reactions: Willdog7
Player development at IU is lacking. I hate painter but his guys get better. Hell look at guys like Edey, and Gillis. Guys that were not highly recruited who come in become major players
Player development has been missing but Woodson has helped TJD become what he is this year and a chance to be a late first round. He got better control of X and the end of last season was a leader. His loss hurt overall defense more than offense. Galloway has definitely improved in the last two years.

This team is flawed but decent and can beat anyone but can also lose to surprising teams. We beat Purdue twice but lose twice to Northwestern and Penn State. All three will be in the NCAA tournament. This team is not as talented as the Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls, Watford and Verdell team. We beat Xavier, Purdue, Illinois and Michigan on the road.

Matchups, better communication on defense and hitting 5-6 three pointers will be a few of the things that affect how far we go in the tournament.

I’m not sure if it’s player development or the fact that Painter has developed a system of how his teams play and he knows exactly the type of player it takes to play within it. And it took some time for Painter to get to this. He started having success in the late 2000’s, with Hummel et al, then it wasn’t until around 2015 where he started having sustained success and has refined his system and recruiting to a point where his teams will be B1G contenders until he retires.

Talent is not the issue. We continually have one of the better recruiting classes in the BIG. This team is more "talented" than any other team in the BIG. Problem with this team is in between the ears. They are talented and they play hard. That wins a lot of games. Low bball IQ loses games too.

Amman left doing well at Virginia. Durham did well @Providence. Duncomb is sickly, and Leal was supposed to be a shooter but can't get his shot off. Galloway no fault of his own is not a pg, with all the injuries the bench did step up. Banks and Reneau are freshmen it takes time. Gunn needs another year to develop his body like Landers. So what is your point?

I’m not sure if it’s player development or the fact that Painter has developed a system of how his teams play and he knows exactly the type of player it takes to play within it. And it took some time for Painter to get to this. He started having success in the late 2000’s, with Hummel et al, then it wasn’t until around 2015 where he started having sustained success and has refined his system and recruiting to a point where his teams will be B1G contenders until he retires.
Give CMW time.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Player development has been missing but Woodson has helped TJD become what he is this year and a chance to be a late first round. He got better control of X and the end of last season was a leader. His loss hurt overall defense more than offense. Galloway has definitely improved in the last two years.

This team is flawed but decent and can beat anyone but can also lose to surprising teams. We beat Purdue twice but lose twice to Northwestern and Penn State. All three will be in the NCAA tournament. This team is not as talented as the Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls, Watford and Verdell team. We beat Xavier, Purdue, Illinois and Michigan on the road.

Matchups, better communication on defense and hitting 5-6 three pointers will be a few of the things that affect how far we go in the tournament.
Tell Kopp to shoot.

We had arguably an AA in TJD, lottery pick possibly in JHS, a six year guy in Race, 5th year guy in Kopp and two top 40 players coming off the bench. This team has talents but either scheme, focus, coaching, culture is off. This team shouldn’t be talent wise, a 21-25 best team in country and being swept by teams like PSU, Iowa and NW.
We won 22 games with all of our injuries, what are you complaining about?

Also recruits the state very well, bringing in fundamentally sounds players. Ft, ball handling, shooter, role players. We chase athleticism instead

Sometimes you get lucky . we got lucky with Reneau and JHS. I HOPE we dont lose him.

Also recruits the state very well, bringing in fundamentally sounds players. Ft, ball handling, shooter, role players. We chase athleticism instead
no they just said no. under coach miller most of the top players wanted to go to Purdue because IU was losing.

Not worried about recruiting that happened more than 4 years ago but only what Woody can do. His first year was nothing more than trying to keep enough players to field a team and he did that and snuck into the tourney. He got Kopp and X here as transfers which has really helped us and Durr gave us one year as a big body. Most important, he kept TJD on the team.

His first full cycle he brought us JHS, MR, KB and CJG. Two clearly top talents and Banks and Gunn look the part and I believe will be key contributors to this team as early as next year. Rated a Top 10 composite class.

Our upcoming recruiting class isn’t done yet, but I really like Cupps and Newton as a start, but we are still missing on this class.

Woody filled out last class with some very nice additions late, so I want to see what he is able to do this round. We have a better team each year in his tenure, and with some really good players going, there is certainly opportunity for PT.

No reason we shouldn’t give Woody two more years at the least to see how he does, because he has done a good job so far.

Painter wasn’t exactly catching the world on fire. When he took over at Purdue. Hell 2019-20 16-15/9-11

It takes time..Answers will come starting next season. He will be in his 3rd season. Mostly with talent he recruited and developed (we hope)

It’s a make or break season….

I’m really not saying Woody is the answer. Willing to give him a chance to see. Definitely a upgrade over the last Coach.

He is not Coach Knight. No one is, hell he could of made Kopp/Leal a star on this team . By getting them shots.

How is the Big Ten not competitive? In relation to what?
The BIG has some very very good teams but we are not as competitive in the dance as we should be simply because we play tackle basketball and that does not translate well.

Painter wasn’t exactly catching the world on fire. When he took over at Purdue. Hell 2019-20 16-15/9-11

It takes time..Answers will come starting next season. He will be in his 3rd season. Mostly with talent he recruited and developed (we hope)

It’s a make or break season….

I’m really not saying Woody is the answer. Willing to give him a chance to see. Definitely a upgrade over the last Coach.

He is not Coach Knight. No one is, hell he could have made Kopp/Leal a star on this team . By getting them shots.
I don’t think the next year is “make or break”, but the next two are. We likely slip next year some, not sure how much. Get though that well enough and show upward momentum the following year and I bet he earns continued support.

I keep seeing this “talent” argument to say Woodson is doing something inherently wrong. I don’t disagree that we have more talented players. Talent meaning a natural aptitude or higher ceiling. But talent doesn’t mean jack shit when you step on the basketball court. Yesterday TJD was the best basketball player on the court. Unfortunately the next two best players were Pickett and Lundy for Penn St and that is why we lost.

Much or our talent is young. Michael Jordan had the most talent of any basketball player that ever lived. Yet he was not always the best basketball player on the court at 18, 19, or 20 years old. And he played for an all time great college coach.

TJD is our one great college basketball player currently. As good as we believe JHS, Reneau, and even Bates might be, they aren’t great now.

I personally am optimistic based on the players Woodson is bringing in that we will ultimately get there. But talent does not = best. Certainly not for 18-22 year olds.

I keep seeing this “talent” argument to say Woodson is doing something inherently wrong. I don’t disagree that we have more talented players. Talent meaning a natural aptitude or higher ceiling. But talent doesn’t mean jack shit when you step on the basketball court. Yesterday TJD was the best basketball player on the court. Unfortunately the next two best players were Pickett and Lundy for Penn St and that is why we lost.

Much or our talent is young. Michael Jordan had the most talent of any basketball player that ever lived. Yet he was not always the best basketball player on the court at 18, 19, or 20 years old. And he played for an all time great college coach.

TJD is our one great college basketball player currently. As good as we believe JHS, Reneau, and even Bates might be, they aren’t great now.

I personally am optimistic based on the players Woodson is bringing in that we will ultimately get there. But talent does not = best. Certainly not for 18-22 year olds.
So then is it coaching? Iu has more talent than PU, yet they won the conference and will most likely be a 1 seed.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
FWIW, I think Woodson has recruited very talented players the last couple of years...probably the best in the B1G. However, the conference is loaded with excellent coaches and talent and rabid fan bases which are tough to beat. There are no gimmes. I see no other conference where -day in and day out - teams play as hard as they do in this conference. Anybody can get hot, anybody can go cold. It's not easy.

I don't see any issue with the state of the IU basketball program or its head coach. He seems like a good ambassador for the university. Your last several were kind of cringeworthy.

So then is it coaching? Iu has more talent than PU, yet they won the conference and will most likely be a 1 seed.
Imo it is not. Purdue this year is more consistently good because they have the most difficult matchup in all of college basketball. They have glaring holes and weaknesses but Edey erases a lot of them most nights.

In my personal opinion, Woodson is bringing in really talented players and once he has 4 years of them we will see the fruits of that. My point is, in college basketball there are a TON of less talented 3rd, 4th, and 5th year guys who play better than more talented freshman and sophomores.

I'm questioning your view of Shipp and TG. Does Shipp hold a scholarship? As far as Galloway, yesterday he had 5 boards, 2 assists, 0 turnovers. He is not a torrid shooter but an opportunistic scorer and a blue collar defender normally assigned the opponents best backcourt threat. Leal I understand your criticism but for the Frosh, I don't agree.
Well yesterday, the guys that Galloway and Schifino were guarding scored 44 points while they scored 13. Neither stat is worthy of bragging rights and of course Kopp did his usual disappearing act as well. Well, that is 60% of our starting line up, but yet the bench gave little help at all. That is my point. Why can't our bench grow up and help? And where is Geronimo? Is it coaching or just bad recruiting?

• Angry
Reactions: BigMobe
I like Woody a lot, but he needs another bench coach to help prepare, in-game and player development.

He has two solid recruiters but they are not top shelf coaches.

Reactions: RRgo and bsmitty08
We didn’t have guys out for long period of time. Just X
Race was out for several games and then was slow getting back up to speed. TJD struggled with his back for several games. JG has neen hurt and is nowhere near 100%.

No other team in the BIG has seen that level of short-handed or limited play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT