ADVERTISEMENT

If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
What a surprising (and sweet) win. I started out tonight completely ambivalent. After watching a bit of the first half - albeit the recorded version a couple hours after the fact (with no prior knowledge of the final score) - I immediately began hoping we’d pound those punks.

That team is largely responsible for the way the B1G has been officiated the last 20 in the dance. That street ball - slap and dig like hell on every possession - is terrible basketball.

Those jackasses in stripes tonight apparently didn’t see much of anything wrong. But damn it looked physical. We weren’t as tough every play, but were tough enough on a few plays to pull it out. Damn proud of them for that level of effort.

Last edited:
I kept telling myself, “It’s only a matter of time before we blow the lead and get shown the locker room!” I was convinced that I’d turn the channel once the ass-whoopin’ commenced. I watched the entire game!

I do not like his play, but having X at the point made a huge difference. I like Gabe, but teams luck their chops when they get him 1:1.

What a surprising (and sweet) win. I started out tonight completely ambivalent. After watching a bit of the first half - albeit the recorded version a couple hours after the fact (with no prior knowledge of the final score) - I immediately began hoping we’d pound those punks.

That team is largely responsible for the way the B1G has been officiated the last 20 in the dance. That street ball - slap and dig like hell on every possession - is terrible basketball.

Those jackasses in stripes tonight apparently didn’t see much of anything wrong. But damn it looked physical. We were as tough every play, but were tough enough on a few plays to pull it out. Damn proud of them for that level of effort.
The fan pulling the fire alarm in the middle of a wisky run is “true” home court advantage. Well done fans lol

A one off win means nothing. The betting money says IU lays an egg next game. Without sustained play IU is going nowhere.

Reactions: ulrey
some statistical anomalies from the game last night:

1. we shot FGs nearly 20% higher than Wisky and still barely won. Wisky took 22 more shots that IU. That's a crazy number. One of the things I look at in the box score is what I call 'bonus possessions', which is a phrase I made up, but it means the possessions you give to your opponent without actually taking a shot on your end. Comes from off rebounds and turnovers. We had 12 TOs vs Wisky's 3 (+9 Wisky) and IU had 4 off rebounds vs 10 for Wisky (+6). That's 15 Wisky possessions where we gave the ball back to Wisc for another try without getting a shot off ourselves. Perhaps that's just word salad with numbers, but shows how a team can shoot 62% from the floor (vs 43.5% from your opponent) and still barely squeak out a win.

2. IU low number of fouls....only leading to 3 Wisky FT attempts the entire game. Again, very unusual number for the B1G. And another strange number....Reneau actually had more fouls called on him (2 more actually) than the rest of the entire IU team. Actually Reneua was the only IU starter called for ANY fouls the entire game. I cannot recall ever seeing something like that before.

Good win vs a solid opponent. Just some weird numbers in the box score.

Anyone still thinking Ware comes back next year? If so...snap out of it.

1. we shot FGs nearly 20% higher than Wisky and still barely won. Wisky took 22 more shots that IU. That's a crazy number. One of the things I look at in the box score is what I call 'bonus possessions', which is a phrase I made up, but it means the possessions you give to your opponent without actually taking a shot on your end. Comes from off rebounds and turnovers. We had 12 TOs vs Wisky's 3 (+9 Wisky) and IU had 4 off rebounds vs 10 for Wisky (+6). That's 15 Wisky possessions where we gave the ball back to Wisc for another try without getting a shot off ourselves. Perhaps that's just word salad with numbers, but shows how a team can shoot 62% from the floor (vs 43.5% from your opponent) and still barely squeak out a win.

2. IU low number of fouls....only leading to 3 Wisky FT attempts the entire game. Again, very unusual number for the B1G. And another strange number....Reneau actually had more fouls called on him (2 more actually) than the rest of the entire IU team. Actually Reneua was the only IU starter called for ANY fouls the entire game. I cannot recall ever seeing something like that before.

I agree about bonus possessions. While FG % is a common stat, it cannot tell the whole story. Hypothetical situation- you give a team 3 shots per trip, they can shoot 33% but could score on 100% of their possessions- not a practical scenario, but a better indication of offensive capability.

I always thought points per possession is a more accurate stat for a team's scoring ability. It accounts for offensive rebounds and turnovers.

Reactions: DANC
I agree about bonus possessions. While FG % is a common stat, it cannot tell the whole story. Hypothetical situation- you give a team 3 shots per trip, they can shoot 33% but could score on 100% of their possessions- not a practical scenario, but a better indication of offensive capability.

I always thought points per possession is a more accurate stat for a team's scoring ability. It accounts for offensive rebounds and turnovers.
yeah the points per poss is the real number tracked. I just do a quick look at the box score and see why WIsky was able to get so many more shots. Wisky's brand of ball leads to few turnovers on their part, that's always been their slow annoying style. So when you face a team like that, you have to limit offensive rebounds, which we have struggled with all year. Good win but we're lucky we shot 60% from the field. Normally that's a 10-20 pt win for you.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
yeah the points per poss is the real number tracked. I just do a quick look at the box score and see why WIsky was able to get so many more shots. Wisky's brand of ball leads to few turnovers on their part, that's always been their slow annoying style. So when you face a team like that, you have to limit offensive rebounds, which we have struggled with all year. Good win but we're lucky we shot 60% from the field. Normally that's a 10-20 pt win for you.
We were just more efficient than they were. When you shoot like that you don’t need the extra possessions(of course). It did make me say they won’t win many still turning the ball over like that.

I was watching the wome s game last night. One graphic they brought up was the the women's team lead the nation in points scored per possession, - 112 possession per 100 possessions. I thought that was amassing. They also lead the nation in team 3pt percentage at 41.1%.

Reactions: IU73 and DANC

And X had 5 of those turnovers in only 15 min on the court. He made some decent plays but damn he can't be turning the ball over like that.

I thought Wisconsin did an excellent job the last 10 minutes of the game or so spreading the court and isolating their scorers for favorable one-on-one matchups close to the basket. They missed a lot of good shots. Indiana was very fortunate to win, imo.

One other thought I had during the game was that Gallo would have to hit at least 1 3 pointer for us to win.......which didn't happen. It did help that Ware and MR were 2-2 together.

I kept telling myself, “It’s only a matter of time before we blow the lead and get shown the locker room!” I was convinced that I’d turn the channel once the ass-whoopin’ commenced. I watched the entire game!

I do not like his play, but having X at the point made a huge difference. I like Gabe, but teams luck their chops when they get him 1:1.
It was good to see X. He hit a couple of shots. And just seeing his energy at the point was encouraging. But he had a lot of rust. He had 5 turnovers. No way he could be out there at crunch time. Hope he can finish his career with some big games.

It was good to see X. He hit a couple of shots. And just seeing his energy at the point was encouraging. But he had a lot of rust. He had 5 turnovers. No way he could be out there at crunch time. Hope he can finish his career with some big games.

That's a charitable take on the situation............

yeah Hummel (?) even mentioned it might be due to weather, although the line of storms was still 100 miles away from BTown. Woody needed a TO to kill the Wisky run....he got it.
And yet, Wisky went ahead after the break and I think the announcer said we went 5 possessions without scoring.

Granted, it gave our bigs a rest. Whatever, the timing of it certainly didn't hurt us. But Wisky also got a rest, too.

I fully expected us to come out flat and lay an egg the last 10 minutes.

And yet he was still better than Cupps, who can’t stumble into an assist and might just break a rim someday on a 3 point attempt.
I'll preface, once again...I like Cupps, he works hard and was fed to the lions this year.

That said, scoring 2 ppg and minimal assists, from the spot he's playing...we're basically playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the court. Wonder if CMW moves X back into starting rotation next game. He needs to...not much time left in X's college career. Just hope X can shake off the rust and reduce the turnovers.

I'll preface, once again...I like Cupps, he works hard and was fed to the lions this year.

That said, scoring 2 ppg and minimal assists, from the spot he's playing...we're basically playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the court. Wonder if CMW moves X back into starting rotation next game. He needs to...not much time left in X's college career. Just hope X can shake off the rust and reduce the turnovers.
I think you’re right. Gabe looks more like a MAC level player to me. Watching Sparks this year vs the Sparks I watched at Ball State tells quite a story. X (good X or bad X) needs to play. The season is shot. Woodson put way too many eggs in X’s basket, so he might as well roll with him at this point. Let’s just hope he doesn’t nut crack anyone else and doesn’t try to dunk on everyone down a crowded lane.

Reactions: DANC
I think you’re right. Gabe looks more like a MAC level player to me. Watching Sparks this year vs the Sparks I watched at Ball State tells quite a story. X (good X or bad X) needs to play. The season is shot. Woodson put way too many eggs in X’s basket, so he might as well roll with him at this point. Let’s just hope he doesn’t nut crack anyone else and doesn’t try to dunk on everyone down a crowded lane.
I noticed a very different demeanor from X in this game. No showboating, no flopping, no getting in anyone's face. He just went out and played ball. If he continues doing that, he'll help us. If he goes back to his old antics, he needs to be on the bench.

I would bet Wooden has him on a short leash.

But I'm rooting for the kid. He wants to win more than almost any other player we have on the team, except Trey.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT