ADVERTISEMENT

School of Rock, music, kids, and DEI

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

School of Rock was a (really good) movie. But it was loosely based on a true story, basically about a musician who started a school that taught music to kids but used rock music.

My son has been attending for three years now. I remember very well how it went down: he didn't make the 9 year old, baseball all-star team (so much wrong with that idea) and was very, very sad. In talking about it, he said "Dad, I just want to be good at something." Heartbreaking for his dad. He's a serviceable athlete, but not a good one. And in my area, where kids are training at whatever sport beginning at age 4 or 5, if you don't start early and aren't a great athlete, it's tough to catch up.

When I asked him what he wanted to be good in, he said "drawing and drums." His friend had played drums at our block party one year and received applause; he wanted that. So I took him down to our local School of Rock that I had heard about. They offer drums, vocals, keyboards, guitar, and bass guitar. They have a huge musician/teacher staff, who have tried or are trying to make it as professional musicians. They will take kids as young as 5 through high school (some adults do lessons, too). The system is fantastic (and expensive!): each semester when you sign up and after you've demonstrated a basic level of proficiency, you are placed in a band of about 15 kids who get a themed set list. You practice once a week individually, and once a week as a band for 2 hours. At the end, you perform you set (about 15-20 songs) at a bar or event location. Parents come, and pre-Covid, anyone else you wanted to invite.

My son just finished his 4th show. It is just so awesome. Some of the kids involved are just good at everything--they are probably popular, attractive, athletic, whatever. But most of these kids are not. And a disproportionate number, I've noticed, are the kids that most of us would recognize as those who got picked on in school--socially awkward, or gender confused, some clearly on the autism spectrum, etc.

The shows are uneven. Some of the songs are terrible--terribly arranged, terribly played, off-key vocals. But at least half are not. A group of about 10-17 year olds play at least 5 songs that are great--fun, well played, moving.

Tonight, one of the singers was clearly very shy, she had no stage presence and wore a baggy red sweatshirt. Her hair was long enough to be a girls or a rocker boys. She sang a song from Hamilton and it made me weep. Her voice was absolutely beautifiul.

Another boy, maybe a freshman or sophomore, who was very effeminate and dramatic--I stereotyped him as gay--performed a song from the Rocky Horror Picture show dressed as a woman, and Teenager by Chemical Romance. He was amazing, charismatic, and perfectly hit all the right notes. The other kids clearly admired him (rightlfully so!).

A few observations:

1. This is how kids should be taught music in school. We need more music teachers, teaching music kids like, in a way in which makes kids love music and gives them an opportunity to perform and be seen for the talented people they are. Hire part-timers, allow it to be done after school, be creative.

2. It is very moving to see kids show their talents like this. I mean, I actually cried during a 12 year old's performance of the Hamilton song. Every 12 year old--no matter their race, gender, neural typicality, etc.-- should know what it is like to show off their talents in that way. Maybe those talents are in music, maybe sports, or--here's where the political stuff comes in--in math or writing or coding. I think of that as equity. We should be celebrating and encouraging the development of talents of all stripes and not holding anyone back. Kids have different levels of abilities across a nearly infinite spectrum of skills. I know, I know, this is incredibly idealistic.

3. It is much more emotionally satisfying to see an underdog succeed. When you watch a kid who you can just tell probably has a tough time of it in other areas of life, it is emotionally satisfying. I think that is one of the primary drivers of educational buy-in of DEI. And it's not wrong.

But I think if you widen your perspective, you'll see that most kids are underdogs in some way, even if its not based on being a minority racial classification or sexuality. Maybe they aren't physically attractive, maybe they aren't too smart, maybe they have mental illness or emotional issues because of a stressed home life (divorce, money problems, etc.).

I think if most people saw DEI initiatives as focusing on all of the many ways in which someone could feel like an outcast or underdog, they'd be much more supportive of those efforts. But when those efforts are seemingly focused only on a certain group of kids, it seems unfair--inequitable, if you will.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts after seeing my kid's show. He rocked, had fun, and hopefully is feeling better about himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
School of Rock was a (really good) movie. But it was loosely based on a true story, basically about a musician who started a school that taught music to kids but used rock music.

My son has been attending for three years now. I remember very well how it went down: he didn't make the 9 year old, baseball all-star team (so much wrong with that idea) and was very, very sad. In talking about it, he said "Dad, I just want to be good at something." Heartbreaking for his dad. He's a serviceable athlete, but not a good one. And in my area, where kids are training at whatever sport beginning at age 4 or 5, if you don't start early and aren't a great athlete, it's tough to catch up.

When I asked him what he wanted to be good in, he said "drawing and drums." His friend had played drums at our block party one year and received applause; he wanted that. So I took him down to our local School of Rock that I had heard about. They offer drums, vocals, keyboards, guitar, and bass guitar. They have a huge musician/teacher staff, who have tried or are trying to make it as professional musicians. They will take kids as young as 5 through high school (some adults do lessons, too). The system is fantastic (and expensive!): each semester when you sign up and after you've demonstrated a basic level of proficiency, you are placed in a band of about 15 kids who get a themed set list. You practice once a week individually, and once a week as a band for 2 hours. At the end, you perform you set (about 15-20 songs) at a bar or event location. Parents come, and pre-Covid, anyone else you wanted to invite.

My son just finished his 4th show. It is just so awesome. Some of the kids involved are just good at everything--they are probably popular, attractive, athletic, whatever. But most of these kids are not. And a disproportionate number, I've noticed, are the kids that most of us would recognize as those who got picked on in school--socially awkward, or gender confused, some clearly on the autism spectrum, etc.

The shows are uneven. Some of the songs are terrible--terribly arranged, terribly played, off-key vocals. But at least half are not. A group of about 10-17 year olds play at least 5 songs that are great--fun, well played, moving.

Tonight, one of the singers was clearly very shy, she had no stage presence and wore a baggy red sweatshirt. Her hair was long enough to be a girls or a rocker boys. She sang a song from Hamilton and it made me weep. Her voice was absolutely beautifiul.

Another boy, maybe a freshman or sophomore, who was very effeminate and dramatic--I stereotyped him as gay--performed a song from the Rocky Horror Picture show dressed as a woman, and Teenager by Chemical Romance. He was amazing, charismatic, and perfectly hit all the right notes. The other kids clearly admired him (rightlfully so!).

A few observations:

1. This is how kids should be taught music in school. We need more music teachers, teaching music kids like, in a way in which makes kids love music and gives them an opportunity to perform and be seen for the talented people they are. Hire part-timers, allow it to be done after school, be creative.

2. It is very moving to see kids show their talents like this. I mean, I actually cried during a 12 year old's performance of the Hamilton song. Every 12 year old--no matter their race, gender, neural typicality, etc.-- should know what it is like to show off their talents in that way. Maybe those talents are in music, maybe sports, or--here's where the political stuff comes in--in math or writing or coding. I think of that as equity. We should be celebrating and encouraging the development of talents of all stripes and not holding anyone back. Kids have different levels of abilities across a nearly infinite spectrum of skills. I know, I know, this is incredibly idealistic.

3. It is much more emotionally satisfying to see an underdog succeed. When you watch a kid who you can just tell probably has a tough time of it in other areas of life, it is emotionally satisfying. I think that is one of the primary drivers of educational buy-in of DEI. And it's not wrong.

But I think if you widen your perspective, you'll see that most kids are underdogs in some way, even if its not based on being a minority racial classification or sexuality. Maybe they aren't physically attractive, maybe they aren't too smart, maybe they have mental illness or emotional issues because of a stressed home life (divorce, money problems, etc.).

I think if most people saw DEI initiatives as focusing on all of the many ways in which someone could feel like an outcast or underdog, they'd be much more supportive of those efforts. But when those efforts are seemingly focused only on a certain group of kids, it seems unfair--inequitable, if you will.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts after seeing my kid's show. He rocked, had fun, and hopefully is feeling better about himself.
This is a personal topic for me for I was just like your son, an average athlete whose baseball dreams died as a sophomore when I made the JV team but never played.

I lost my identity and a chunk of my wolfpack. Music always came a little easier for me and my dad finally got me a guitar in 8th grade...and I LOVED it. Became obsessed. I'm still obsessed as a 52 year old and it became my identity as I started playing in 'serious' bands early in HS. Even as I worked in corporate, I gigged on the side and was known as the band guy at work. No lie, I'd get put on some marketing committee with people I never met (which was on purpose) and after I introduced myself I'd typically get that....'you're the guy that plays in a band right?'.

I loved it. It is my identity.

Which is exactly what your point is. Kids need identities and good wolfpacks. It gives them confidence because, like your son said, it's something they can be good at.

My favorite scene (of many) in SOR was when Lawrence (the why keyboard player) comes up to Dewey and tells him he can't be in the band. Dewey asks why and said 'cause guys in bands are popular and cool and I'm not'.

Dewey answers 'well those days are over my friend because once people hear you play you're going to be the bees knees!!!'.

My sage advice is I just want kids to play. Music is mainly art. It's your voice via an instrument. You might not be able to hit some notes or sing in key, but your instrument can.

When Prince plays a song like 'Fury', the technical licks he plays are basic blues. He's not super clean in his picking...but none of that matters. Every note he plays he f#$king owns, even the technical 'wrong' ones (actually there are no 'wrong' notes as 'wrong' notes convey an emotion in art).

I get fired up when people wonder the utility of keeping music as a curriculum. Music brings people together, it fosters social intelligence (playing in a band where everyone depends on each other just like team sports), it provides a canvas for people to express themselves, it's gives kids an identity, it's so diverse in expertise (you can be technically incredible, you can be an amazing lyricist, you can create amazing melodies, you can push your math skills and create insanely weird and difficult time signatures, it forces you to understand time/pace and so on and so on).

As I've gotten older I've realized that music is an incredible scrap book. Not only the music in our lives but when you create with music and record, that becomes your scrapbook. I'll listen to some stuff I did in the 80's and it reminds me of where I was at and what I was listening to at that point in my life.

Anyway, I'm babbling on. I just really appreciate your post and agree 100% with you because, I was in your son's shoes.

The lady who runs this group - The Louisville Leopards - was the music teacher at the school where wife teaches and where my kids attended. She had the school kids do this stuff too, then quit teaching and started it as a private music studio school for kids. Robert Plant sent them money and equipment after he saw this.

Kids are amazing - until the wrong adults get involved.

A few observations:

Really a lovely post, Brad. But, it also made me wonder...didn't you just describe how all teaching, mentoring, coaching, managing can be more successful - by reaching people in ways that connect with desire to discover what they are good at and helping them to become the best version of themselves.

I humbly suggest that pretty much everybody feels awkward and wrong and insufficient at that age...even the most popular and seemingly accomplished in a given group. We continually put more and more pressure on kids to be perfect and have it all figured out at ages when they are really just supposed to be knee-deep in figuring out what it is that they might like to figure out.

Sure, it's idealistic. But whether it is music or sports or writing or math or drama or spelling or tinkering with gadgets or making clothing or cooking or talking...there is greatness to be realized in everybody. And I love teaching that tries to connect with kids where they are instead of the predetermined route a textbook insists is the only way.

The lady who runs this group - The Louisville Leopards - was the music teacher at the school where wife teaches and where my kids attended. She had the school kids do this stuff too, then quit teaching and started it as a private music studio school for kids. Robert Plant sent them money and equipment after he saw this.

My niece is in that video. She's since aged out of the Leopards. I went to their annual show "Big Gig" four or five times and when they played at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they're awesome.

A few observations:

Beautiful post. I think music is so important. My kids will always take music lessons and participate in band/choir talent shows etc. I think it's very important.

One thing I will say, and forgive me for relating it to soccer, because it's all I know, I do believe we are far more inclusive today for kids than ever before. My club team was Busch when I was a kid. We had one team per age group. That's it. That's how every club was. You got cut you didn't play other than for your school. Now clubs have mls next, Academy, classic, on and on. Then they have rec. There is an opportunity for everyone to feel special and part of something. Hell those with special needs have opps like never before. When I was young special Olympics might host AN event. Now you have whole leagues: SPENSA, TOPSoccer etc.

Opportunities for all kids is one area I think we are excelling. So many opportunities to be a part of something. At school. Within the community. Music. Drama. Cooking. You name it. And we are working on fixing the pay to play.

Last edited:

A few observations:

I played drums/percussion growing up until I quit after my frosh year of HS because summer marching band practice was mandatory and I thought I'd rather be doing other things. After I quit, our HS band director, who was also my next door neighbor, came to my house and asked me to reconsider. He said I'd regret this decision down the road and... he was right.

I can still play on my drumset but I likely would have been much better if I stuck around and practiced more.

Side note: We tried to start a band my 7th grade year. I played bass and we sucked. The band fell apart due to internal disputes and competing interests.

This is a personal topic for me for I was just like your son, an average athlete whose baseball dreams died as a sophomore when I made the JV team but never played.

I lost my identity and a chunk of my wolfpack. Music always came a little easier for me and my dad finally got me a guitar in 8th grade...and I LOVED it. Became obsessed. I'm still obsessed as a 52 year old and it became my identity as I started playing in 'serious' bands early in HS. Even as I worked in corporate, I gigged on the side and was known as the band guy at work. No lie, I'd get put on some marketing committee with people I never met (which was on purpose) and after I introduced myself I'd typically get that....'you're the guy that plays in a band right?'.

I loved it. It is my identity.

Which is exactly what your point is. Kids need identities and good wolfpacks. It gives them confidence because, like your son said, it's something they can be good at.

My favorite scene (of many) in SOR was when Lawrence (the why keyboard player) comes up to Dewey and tells him he can't be in the band. Dewey asks why and said 'cause guys in bands are popular and cool and I'm not'.

Dewey answers 'well those days are over my friend because once people hear you play you're going to be the bees knees!!!'.

My sage advice is I just want kids to play. Music is mainly art. It's your voice via an instrument. You might not be able to hit some notes or sing in key, but your instrument can.

When Prince plays a song like 'Fury', the technical licks he plays are basic blues. He's not super clean in his picking...but none of that matters. Every note he plays he f#$king owns, even the technical 'wrong' ones (actually there are no 'wrong' notes as 'wrong' notes convey an emotion in art).

I get fired up when people wonder the utility of keeping music as a curriculum. Music brings people together, it fosters social intelligence (playing in a band where everyone depends on each other just like team sports), it provides a canvas for people to express themselves, it's gives kids an identity, it's so diverse in expertise (you can be technically incredible, you can be an amazing lyricist, you can create amazing melodies, you can push your math skills and create insanely weird and difficult time signatures, it forces you to understand time/pace and so on and so on).

As I've gotten older I've realized that music is an incredible scrap book. Not only the music in our lives but when you create with music and record, that becomes your scrapbook. I'll listen to some stuff I did in the 80's and it reminds me of where I was at and what I was listening to at that point in my life.

Anyway, I'm babbling on. I just really appreciate your post and agree 100% with you because, I was in your son's shoes.
Thanks for your post.

Regarding music as a curriculum, I just think it needs to be radically changed. I was pretty surprised that the school my kids attend still had them playing the recorder in elementary school. Jr. High band and orchestra is still the central focus of music instruction in Jr. High. I'm not saying band and orchestra should be eliminated, but I think we need to change focus and emphasis to a more School of Rock like model. Rock and jazz are American institutions to boot!

I guess if I had my druthers, I'd have every kid learning guitar in music class. Added benefit: this would also combat toxic masculinity:

Thanks for your post.

Regarding music as a curriculum, I just think it needs to be radically changed. I was pretty surprised that the school my kids attend still had them playing the recorder in elementary school. Jr. High band and orchestra is still the central focus of music instruction in Jr. High. I'm not saying band and orchestra should be eliminated, but I think we need to change focus and emphasis to a more School of Rock like model. Rock and jazz are American institutions to boot!

I guess if I had my druthers, I'd have every kid learning guitar in music class. Added benefit: this would also combat toxic masculinity:

Fender has a really cool program that replaces recorders in schools with ukeleles, which is a much more playable and "listenable" instrument. Generations of parents have nightmares about recorders! Availability of instruments is the biggest issue for most schools, which is why recorders dominated for years, as kids have to spend some time learning to play in between their "lessons" and the great majority of families don't have the money to invest in instruments like guitars and drums and saxophones at home.

That said, I'm not certain teaching kids "rock" music today is much different than teaching kids "band" music 30 years ago. I think we'd be better off in helping kids understand how "their" music connects to past music than teaching them how to play their parents music. And the biggest success I've seen in music is giving kids the tools to write their own music. It's easier than ever to do once kids understand the building blocks of the music they like. All of this points to the same stuff you're talking about though. Give children tools to explore things they like that they might be good at.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Side note: We tried to start a band my 7th grade year. I played bass and we sucked. The band fell apart due to internal disputes and competing interests.

Lemme guess -- some groupie chick was involved, amirite?

A few observations:

Great stuff. My son was interested in SOR but he’s non-practicer and told him he had to convince me he’ll practice and he hasn’t even tried.

I don’t understand the tie in to DEI. I think you’re amalgamating DEI with alternative teaching methods and I don’t think that’s accurate.

Great stuff. My son was interested in SOR but he’s non-practicer and told him he had to convince me he’ll practice and he hasn’t even tried.

I don’t understand the tie in to DEI. I think you’re amalgamating DEI with alternative teaching methods and I don’t think that’s accurate.
Re DEI, it’s just a general observation that the motivation behind it in schools is that we don’t want any kids to feel like outcasts or less-than, we want them to feel included. I sympathize with and share that motivation.

For a more political point, I think kids get that in different ways but ultimately they need to have an identity around something they do, something they succeed at, not from some static (and divisive!) tribal notion of race or sexuality. My other point is that every kid needs this focus, not just those in a minority classification.

A few observations:

Excellent post. Truly excellent. Except Jack black sucks

And not one piece of sheet music to be seen! I love this. Give kids a purpose and a job, they will amaze us. Every single one of them!

Reactions: 76-1
Lemme guess -- some groupie chick was involved, amirite?
_1_yoko_ono_1967.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark
I have a nephew that when he was 2-3 yrs old, we all noticed that "this kid is wicked smart". By the time 6-7 rolled around we started noticing that he was... "challenged", really withdrawn, "weird", just couldn't find a way to get him to interact "normally".
At 9, his Maternal Grampa who was a retired music teacher, threw a key board in front of him. Within 2 freaking weeks..... TWO WEEKS, the kid could basically play Beethoven (not an exaggeration) and it was well above "good". After 2-3 weeks, he could play complete, 4-5 songs. Its like a musical photographic memory.
This all allowed him to open up ... a little more. He's still "weird" but he has found his groove and I think music helped him find his place.
OH, at 14, he competed in a rubics cube competition and solved it in 34 seconds... and was pissed because he came in ~6th (I think it was). His uncle used solvent to release the glue on the stickers and rearranged them! We ALL have our talents.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT