ADVERTISEMENT

So face it guys, the recruiting has been subpar and I am being kind

yes, include BOOKER among those. I believe CP RECRUITED THEN B4 CMW became coach.. I Blame that o coach miller. CMW has to play catch up. That is why he is so heavy on Haraldson and Sisley. He also is limited on scholarships
Who is limited on scholarships?

Yes, Trace, Race, Yogi and Jordan Hull panned out and became or are great players for our Hoosiers. But over the last ten years, the vast majority of our recruits have bombed out. On this site, I have read nothing but praise for every kid that we have signed but yet, I usually end up disappointed because they bomb out or do not develop or are rarely as good as we told they were. From Romeo, to Kristen, to Amman, to Rob and the list goes on. On our current team, Leal, Gunn, Shipp, Banks etc. rarely play or, like Galloway, make more errors than a D I player should make. So is it the coaching or is it the fact that we are looking for the wrong type of player or is high school ball in Indiana not nearly as good as this panel on Peegs thinks it is? Half of our team rarely leaves the bench. Yes, something is wrong with that.
If IU was operating at its ceiling, Race would have never been offered.

We have Kopp, TJD, race, X, JSH, and probably Dunscomb gone
X will be back next year. We should have at least 3 scholarships to give for next year and maybe more - depends on whether JG & Gunn return.

Talent is not the issue..Let’s give it sometime. I feel Woody needs a couple more years. The big issues will be getting the right person to take over, when it’s time.

We won over 20 games
3rd in the Big Ten

JHS, Malik, Bates are not roadkill. That’s some talent. In only Woodys 2nd season. Questions will start to be answered next season.
TJD/JHS/Race/Kopp are gone.
Xavier?/Malik/Bates/Banks return with Galloway/Geronimo?/CJ Gunn couple freshman incoming and portal.
So let’s take await and see stance.

My ramblings on a Sunday morning..
The worst thing, is to be a successful program, you need to refill the coffers. IU hasn't done this well. IU is losing a top frosh guard and 2 bigs[not counting Kopp as a difference maker]. So they recruit 2 guards and no bigs. Duncomb is unproven. JG,TB haven't yet developed at sf. Galloway is not a shooter. If Johnson doesn't get another year-IU is in for a tough season. The only silver lining is Reneau. Leal has been a huge disappointment. Woody will have very little firepower and rebounding next year by not recruiting bigs. His only hope is the transfer portal and I consider Kopp a flop in that area. Besides X, the only decent transfer we got was the forward from Michigan years ago. I hope Gunn develops and Banks too or next year is basement BT. Who knows yet who'll transfer from IU too. Gonna be interesting to see how CMW handles or juggles all of the pieces that are gonna be needed to compete.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Crean killed in-state recruiting by alienating HS coaches. It started to recover in the Archie honeymoon years but the damage is not undone.
That is untrue. IU still carries clout with HS coaches. It is players that don't get recruited and are decent- the kid at Iowa, the kid at illinois,etc. IU gets kids lately who aren't proven shooters. That was always IU's strong point. Hulls,Coverdale,Alford,AND ON AND ON. Now they pass on those for players who can't even get off the bench. Woody carries clout by coaches who remember BK teams. He has two guys on staff who are supposed excellent recruiters. Yet they can't find shooters or a true big man. TJD was a PF forced to play center. So IU can recruit Indiana,Ohio and Illinois but they must not be great evaluators of shooters. JHS was streaky at best. Kopp a major flop. Galloway heady but poor shooter. Beal -nada. Plus players aren't starry eyed at playing at IU as they once were.

Reactions: bsmitty08
If IU was operating at its ceiling, Race would have never been offered.
Race was a top 100 guy. Have you looked at B10 recruiting? Almost every class includes guys 80+, even for top programs. Offering RT is not indicative of a problem, if the coach determines he can help.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
That is untrue. IU still carries clout with HS coaches. It is players that don't get recruited and are decent- the kid at Iowa, the kid at illinois,etc. IU gets kids lately who aren't proven shooters. That was always IU's strong point. Hulls,Coverdale,Alford,AND ON AND ON. Now they pass on those for players who can't even get off the bench. Woody carries clout by coaches who remember BK teams. He has two guys on staff who are supposed excellent recruiters. Yet they can't find shooters or a true big man. TJD was a PF forced to play center. So IU can recruit Indiana,Ohio and Illinois but they must not be great evaluators of shooters. JHS was streaky at best. Kopp a major flop. Galloway heady but poor shooter. Beal -nada. Plus players aren't starry eyed at playing at IU as they once were.
^^^^100%

Don't think so. I do think CTC and therefore IU had become unpopular with Indiana HS coaches and Archie and MW have had to rebuild that. Much easier with a history like MW has; that's going to open a lot of doors, even if they were somewhat closed previously.

Don't think so. I do think CTC and therefore IU had become unpopular with Indiana HS coaches and Archie and MW have had to rebuild that. Much easier with a history like MW has; that's going to open a lot of doors, even if they were somewhat closed previously.
Crean didn’t turn off Indiana coaches so much as he didnt recruit some in state kids as hard as others.
Cream not landing guys like Blueitt, Jackson Jr hurt big time.

• Haha
Yeah it's ridiculous. Only the 3rd time in the last 20 years has IU been seeded 4 or better and you have guys already talking about next year and firing the coach.
How we do in portal will be the difference. Had Woodson lined up a top 10 class for next year I think people would feel more confident in the direction. 23 class is a kind of a head scratcher to be honest.

Player development has been missing but Woodson has helped TJD become what he is this year and a chance to be a late first round. He got better control of X and the end of last season was a leader. His loss hurt overall defense more than offense. Galloway has definitely improved in the last two years.

This team is flawed but decent and can beat anyone but can also lose to surprising teams. We beat Purdue twice but lose twice to Northwestern and Penn State. All three will be in the NCAA tournament. This team is not as talented as the Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls, Watford and Verdell team. We beat Xavier, Purdue, Illinois and Michigan on the road.

Matchups, better communication on defense and hitting 5-6 three pointers will be a few of the things that affect how far we go in the tournament.
The thing about X.......I agree he was playing exceptionally well at the beginning of the season. And we've badly missed his quickness, passing, and scoring....when he was being good X. Remember the talk on here about him playing at an AA level? But....when he got hurt he was in the midst of one of his down spells. And he was looking kind of borderline mentally.

I hope if he comes back next year he's good X most of the time.

How we do in portal will be the difference. Had Woodson lined up a top 10 class for next year I think people would feel more confident in the direction. 23 class is a kind of a head scratcher to be honest.
Think you need a veteran 4 who could potentially start right away and then a Durr/Brunk type player who can give minutes in a back up role. Would need a veteran ball-handler if X doesn't get a waiver.

Reneau
Transfer 4
Banks/Bates/Gunn
Galloway
X

Isn't the death sentence many make next year out to be.

Reactions: asindc and kkott
Why? How many schollies would you like to have extended without open spots? That extra covid year has really made it tough on coaches. I'd be comfortable if we had 1 more in this class at the moment, but not 2.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Think you need a veteran 4 who could potentially start right away and then a Durr/Brunk type player who can give minutes in a back up role. Would need a veteran ball-handler if X doesn't get a waiver.

Reneau
Transfer 4
Banks/Bates/Gunn
Galloway
X

Isn't the death sentence many make next year out to be.
I think we need a true score at the 2 instead Galloway. Bates or a transfer needs to be a score/shooter.
Also need another big to back up Reneau.

Why? How many schollies would you like to have extended without open spots? That extra covid year has really made it tough on coaches. I'd be comfortable if we had 1 more in this class at the moment, but not 2.
My only gripe with the 2023 class (and I have been very vocal about this) is Woody and staff seemingly pulled the plug on Coen Carr and he ultimately ended up at Michigan State. We stopped pursuing Carr in favor of some better shooting wings and lost both to the same college.

Reactions: kkott
Yes, I actually like the guys that we got. Somewhat underrated, I hope. But the lack of bigs is very concerning, especially because good bigs (6'9" or above) are relatively scarce in the portal. Guys like the Ivy League kid who went to Purdue, Rebacca (sp?) from Iowa, and Walker from Nebraska are more the norm. We obviously need at least one big, but if we can't get two I'd like to get two 6'3" to 6'6" shooters and/or scorers, because there are more of them in the portal. Look at Funke, Pickett, Wynter, Spencer, Hauser, T. Walker, Jenkins, Shannon, Audige.

Also, if X's NOT back, we'll need to get a quick PG.

Well we lose 3 for sure. Race, Kopp, TJD
Dunscomb I would about guarantee is gone
JHS is good as gone
That’s 3 openings plus will JG, Leal, Gunn stay?

I think we need a true score at the 2 instead Galloway. Bates or a transfer needs to be a score/shooter.
Also need another big to back up Reneau.
I addressed adding a Durr/Brunk type big to back up Reneau in the very post you responded too.

Crean didn’t turn off Indiana coaches so much as he didnt recruit some in state kids as hard as others.
Cream not landing guys like Blueitt, Jackson Jr hurt big time.

Where's Crean now? That's the proof, really.

He's out of coaching and not on anybody's list.

Quite a feat considering just 10 years ago he had the #1 team in the country at a place like Indiana.

He got exposed. All glitter. No gold.

He can thank Wade, Zeller, Dipo and Yogi for his millions.

Well we lose 3 for sure. Race, Kopp, TJD
Dunscomb I would about guarantee is gone
JHS is good as gone
That’s 3 openings plus will JG, Leal, Gunn stay?
You're not answering the question I asked: how many commits would you be comfortable having in the fold right now? I can guess at who might leave, but we've had issues in the past about over-recruiting, and then needing to Crean. If we had more than 3 committed, we could have been faced with that, and that's what I'm asking you: do you want CMW to overrecruit and face possibly having to Crean kids? I don't. Even TJD, is only a guess at leaving. At this time last year, everyone including him, thought he was gone. I think we should only have 2-3 in the fold right now, which is right where we are.

You're not answering the question I asked: how many commits would you be comfortable having in the fold right now? I can guess at who might leave, but we've had issues in the past about over-recruiting, and then needing to Crean. If we had more than 3 committed, we could have been faced with that, and that's what I'm asking you: do you want CMW to overrecruit and face possibly having to Crean kids? I don't. Even TJD, is only a guess at leaving. At this time last year, everyone including him, thought he was gone. I think we should only have 2-3 in the fold right now, which is right where we are.
There's no longer a need to overrecruit and reach in this day in age of the portal. Crean was infamous for taking late flyers on projects who never panned out and in turn screwed the numbers. Staff certainly planned on this being a 3 man class. They netted Cupps and Newton early and went very hard at the two wings from the DC area and Page from GA. There's a chance IU takes on another freshman as some players may be released from their LOI with coaching changes, but I'm guessing our incoming freshman class is locked in and we add 2-3 guys via the portal.

There's no longer a need to overrecruit and reach in this day in age of the portal. Crean was infamous for taking late flyers on projects who never panned out and in turn screwed the numbers. Staff certainly planned on this being a 3 man class. They netted Cupps and Newton early and went very hard at the two wings from the DC area and Page from GA. There's a chance IU takes on another freshman as some players may be released from their LOI with coaching changes, but I'm guessing our incoming freshman class is locked in and we add 2-3 guys via the portal.
That's basically the point I was trying to make: to have more recruits at this point, we'd have had to overrecruit and I don't think that's necessary. It's a different landscape than when TC was here, which probably means more spots opening up, but also far more able to fill them with the need you know you have vs the ones you guess at. I just wanted to hear the guy complaining about possible open spots actually say he'd rather have overcommits.

Reactions: Beorik
Just keep seeing this type of statement and not just from you. We literally had 3 known open scholarships. X, Kopp, and Race. Woodson recruited for 3 open spots and landed two really good recruits. He missed on a few guys he wanted for the 3rd spot. TJD just announced a couple weeks ago that he would be leaving which would have been spot 4 except now X is applying for a medical red shirt. So we still have only 1 spot available which I am sure Woody is waiting for possible late commitments or transfer to fill. There will likely be one more spot open when JHS announces but Woody could and should not have gotten a 4th commitment planning for that. Woody has handled the recruiting and available scholarships beautifully.

That's basically the point I was trying to make: to have more recruits at this point, we'd have had to overrecruit and I don't think that's necessary. It's a different landscape than when TC was here, which probably means more spots opening up, but also far more able to fill them with the need you know you have vs the ones you guess at. I just wanted to hear the guy complaining about possible open spots actually say he'd rather have overcommits.
The guy you were replying to is going to continue to bitch until the sun no longer comes up. It's what he does.

Reactions: papawboog and kkott
Yes, Trace, Race, Yogi and Jordan Hull panned out and became or are great players for our Hoosiers. But over the last ten years, the vast majority of our recruits have bombed out. On this site, I have read nothing but praise for every kid that we have signed but yet, I usually end up disappointed because they bomb out or do not develop or are rarely as good as we told they were. From Romeo, to Kristen, to Amman, to Rob and the list goes on. On our current team, Leal, Gunn, Shipp, Banks etc. rarely play or, like Galloway, make more errors than a D I player should make. So is it the coaching or is it the fact that we are looking for the wrong type of player or is high school ball in Indiana not nearly as good as this panel on Peegs thinks it is? Half of our team rarely leaves the bench. Yes, something is wrong with that.
I don't agree with much of this post, especially your Galloway take. Galloway is a winning player. He makes winning plays. We need more players like Galloway, imo.

It takes most freshman some time to get acclimated to the college game. Gunn and Banks have a chance to be very good players, imo.

Half of most teams players rarely leave the bench. C'mon man.

Just keep seeing this type of statement and not just from you. We literally had 3 known open scholarships. X, Kopp, and Race. Woodson recruited for 3 open spots and landed two really good recruits. He missed on a few guys he wanted for the 3rd spot. TJD just announced a couple weeks ago that he would be leaving which would have been spot 4 except now X is applying for a medical red shirt. So we still have only 1 spot available which I am sure Woody is waiting for possible late commitments or transfer to fill. There will likely be one more spot open when JHS announces but Woody could and should not have gotten a 4th commitment planning for that. Woody has handled the recruiting and available scholarships beautifully.
Disagree, coaches know their rosters

Disagree, coaches know their rosters
So what, Woody gets 4 commitments and then JHS gets an injury in January and decides to come back for another year. We then ask someone to leave? No thanks. Woodson did exactly what good coaches who care about their players and programs do.

Woodson has already improved our team. One down year unless catastrophic doesn’t end any coach. So he has 2 more minimum and likely as long as he wants.
Zero chance as long he wants..
You don't think heads explode if IU isn't in the tournament next yr..
Woodson and his staff have a whole bunch of work in the off season..
Being a good coach ..Is sustaining winning seasons..
He still has a chance..We'll see...
He's rode TJD hard...

I'm not so sure about IU's talent being an issue. This is now the 3rd straight year that one of our transfers have played starring roles on teams which have spent time ranked in the AP Top 10.

Justin Smith was an enigma at IU, then transferred to Arkansas and was awesome on a Razorback team that got a #3 seed and went to the Elite 8. Last year it was Al Durham at Providence. This year we've got Franklin at UVA and Hunter at Xavier. Hunter wasn't doing much at the beginning of the season, but I saw that he's been averaging 10 and 6 the last 15 games or so and has very rarely shot a 3.
Justin Smith was not markedly better at Arkansas. Neither was Al Durham at Providence. Franklin's been slightly better at Virginia than IU, but most upperclassmen are better than they were as Freshman and Sophomore. Same goes for Hunter, but he was pretty darned bad last year for Xavier. He's picked it up this year playing mostly inside.

I guess we have different definitions of "starring roles". I do however agree with the main point of your post, IU's talent is not the issue. We've had plenty of talent to be successful over the last several years.

Reactions: Middawg
So what, Woody gets 4 commitments and then JHS gets an injury in January and decides to come back for another year. We then ask someone to leave? No thanks. Woodson did exactly what good coaches who care about their players and programs do.
Great programs would have filled 4 like they are allowed with the plus 1. Football does it every year. We have a serious depth issue in front court next year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT