ADVERTISEMENT

So face it guys, the recruiting has been subpar and I am being kind

Well, yeah the recruiting hasn't panned out over the past 10 years. If it had we wouldn't be on our 3rd or 4th coach in that time. But over the past two years the team has gone from an overall losing record to likely a 4th or 5th seed. And that is with significant injuries this year and not an easy schedule.

I'm questioning your view of Shipp and TG. Does Shipp hold a scholarship? As far as Galloway, yesterday he had 5 boards, 2 assists, 0 turnovers. He is not a torrid shooter but an opportunistic scorer and a blue collar defender normally assigned the opponents best backcourt threat. Leal I understand your criticism but for the Frosh, I don't agree.
No he does not

I like Woody a lot, but he needs another bench coach to help prepare, in-game and player development.

He has two solid recruiters but they are not top shelf coaches.
100%!!!! Woody has recruiters on staff, and not game development coaches. Something as simple as a pump fake step in shot, or jab step and cut, or rubbing your man off the screen are simple aspects that IU doesn’t do.

We need shooters and more slashers that attack the rim. I love TJD but back to the basket basketball is over. Next season with spots open I hope we address these in the portal.

100%!!!! Woody has recruiters on staff, and not game development coaches. Something as simple as a pump fake step in shot, or jab step and cut, or rubbing your man off the screen are simple aspects that IU doesn’t do.
We also need to better develop players. Woody can teach but he needs to have boots on the ground at practice.

Game development coaches? Are those the guys that specialize in developing during games?

We need shooters and more slashers that attack the rim. I love TJD but back to the basket basketball is over. Next season with spots open I hope we address these in the portal.

An elite defender who does these things and who can guard a guy like Iowas Murrays.

Can I add that to the portal shopping list?

Reactions: ndhuntington
I'm not so sure about IU's talent being an issue. This is now the 3rd straight year that one of our transfers have played starring roles on teams which have spent time ranked in the AP Top 10.

Justin Smith was an enigma at IU, then transferred to Arkansas and was awesome on a Razorback team that got a #3 seed and went to the Elite 8. Last year it was Al Durham at Providence. This year we've got Franklin at UVA and Hunter at Xavier. Hunter wasn't doing much at the beginning of the season, but I saw that he's been averaging 10 and 6 the last 15 games or so and has very rarely shot a 3.
The problem has always been coaching. Mike Davis was fired and was then abysmal at UAB. Crean was beyond horrible at Georgia. Archie looks god awful at RI. Woody wasn't remotely qualified for a college gig after having been in the NBA for over 40 years. His failure to comprehend how important the 3 point shot is and to recruit shooters tells you everything.

Sampson was the only good coach we've had since Knight. Until the administration goes out and hires a proven winner like Pitino, Drew, Beard, Marshall, Pearl, etc we will continue to disappoint. Don't hold your breath.

Before X went down 3 of the 5 starters were his guys and Trayce and Race aren't the problem. In the portal era it doesn't take long to land what you need if you know what you're doing. Only at IU do rebuilds take 5 years.
Like packlines. 🫣

Before X went down 3 of the 5 starters were his guys and Trayce and Race aren't the problem. In the portal era it doesn't take long to land what you need if you know what you're doing. Only at IU do rebuilds take 5 years.
Then woodson has three more-years to go.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Woodson has already improved our team. One down year unless catastrophic doesn’t end any coach. So he has 2 more minimum and likely as long as he wants.

Painter wasn’t exactly catching the world on fire. When he took over at Purdue. Hell 2019-20 16-15/9-11

It takes time..Answers will come starting next season. He will be in his 3rd season. Mostly with talent he recruited and developed (we hope)

It’s a make or break season….

I’m really not saying Woody is the answer. Willing to give him a chance to see. Definitely a upgrade over the last Coach.

He is not Coach Knight. No one is, hell he could of made Kopp/Leal a star on this team . By getting them shots.
They are afraid to shoot or can not get there shot off too slow

If I recall correctly Bobby Knight would always say that the goal of the season was to win the Big 10. He did not make any decrees about winning national championships. Woody came in saying that the goal of the program was to win national championships. So naturally that got the fan base really excited.
Sometimes you get lucky . we got lucky with Reneau and JHS. I HOPE we dont lose him.
Both of those guys are at Indiana because Mike Woodson is the basketball coach. I wouldn't call that luck. But to the extent that the cupboards were bare at Indiana, Woodson was able to recruit them giving them all but a guarantee that they get playing time is freshman ez
5 years? We're on 20 years and counting. unless you're counting the goose egg that Indiana laid against Syracuse in their zone defense in 2016.

If I recall correctly Bobby Knight would always say that the goal of the season was to win the Big 10. He did not make any decrees about winning national championships. Woody came in saying that the goal of the program was to win national championships. So naturally that got the fan base really excited.

Both of those guys are at Indiana because Mike Woodson is the basketball coach. I wouldn't call that luck. But to the extent that the cupboards were bare at Indiana, Woodson was able to recruit them giving them all but a guarantee that they get playing time is freshman ez

5 years? We're on 20 years and counting. unless you're counting the goose egg that Indiana laid against Syracuse in their zone defense in 2016.
Not sure how you are counting the last 18 of the last years against Woodson. Samsung had IU doing well, setting aside how he got there, Crean had a couple very good teams. Archie was a total flame out. IU is a #4 seed now, a big step up from Archie ball. Next year may be a step back but I'm going to enjoy the tourney at least this year.

How much ?
He shouldn't get a bunch he's old ?
Next season is a make or break yr..At this very moment...
And we're not to Veterans Day by any means..
Indiana is looking at a rough season next yr.. Without home runs in the portal
NO Belief, u are a doubting Thomas. You did not like CMW in the first place. The coach can win the national championship and u would still not be satisfied.

Reactions: papawboog
Not sure how you are counting the last 18 of the last years against Woodson. Samsung had IU doing well, setting aside how he got there, Crean had a couple very good teams. Archie was a total flame out. IU is a #4 seed now, a big step up from Archie ball. Next year may be a step back but I'm going to enjoy the tourney at least this year.
Thank you Region Hoosiers

The problem has always been coaching. Mike Davis was fired and was then abysmal at UAB. Crean was beyond horrible at Georgia. Archie looks god awful at RI. Woody wasn't remotely qualified for a college gig after having been in the NBA for over 40 years. His failure to comprehend how important the 3 point shot is and to recruit shooters tells you everything.

Sampson was the only good coach we've had since Knight. Until the administration goes out and hires a proven winner like Pitino, Drew, Beard, Marshall, Pearl, etc we will continue to disappoint. Don't hold your breath.
Give the man a chance to get his ppl in.

We had arguably an AA in TJD, lottery pick possibly in JHS, a six year guy in Race, 5th year guy in Kopp and two top 40 players coming off the bench. This team has talents but either scheme, focus, coaching, culture is off. This team shouldn’t be talent wise, a 21-25 best team in country and being swept by teams like PSU, Iowa and NW.
I think it's a purge of reliance on the portal, not recruiting, and getting all things AM ever touched removed. Also our asst coaches are questionable at best

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
I think it's a purge of reliance on the portal, not recruiting, and getting all things AM ever touched removed. Also our asst coaches are questionable at best
We have good coaches. 22 wins are good. Yes, we can be better. Give the man a chance.

Reactions: Beorik
Oh geesh ok.so Gillis, smith, Loyer, Colvin, Catxhings…all just said no I’m not letting you offer me?
yes, include BOOKER among those. I believe CP RECRUITED THEN B4 CMW became coach.. I Blame that o coach miller. CMW has to play catch up. That is why he is so heavy on Haraldson and Sisley. He also is limited on scholarships

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yes, Trace, Race, Yogi and Jordan Hull panned out and became or are great players for our Hoosiers. But over the last ten years, the vast majority of our recruits have bombed out. On our current team, Leal, Gunn, Shipp, Banks etc. rarely play
I’ll never understand the obsession some have with the playing time at the end of our bench. Guys at the end of Knight/Davis/Sampson/Crean/Archie/Woody benches didn’t get much playing time.
Good teams don’t go 13 deep but rarely go more than 8 deep. Guys that don’t “work out”, from a playing standpoint, are recruited by every single school every single year.

Let him get his players in. Players who want to be at Indiana.

I’ll never understand the obsession some have with the playing time at the end of our bench. Guys at the end of Knight/Davis/Sampson/Crean/Archie/Woody benches didn’t get much playing time.
Good teams don’t go 13 deep but rarely go more than 8 deep. Guys that don’t “work out”, from a playing standpoint, are recruited by every single school every single year.
They end up in the portal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT