ADVERTISEMENT

So face it guys, the recruiting has been subpar and I am being kind

Zero chance as long he wants..
You don't think heads explode if IU isn't in the tournament next yr..
Woodson and his staff have a whole bunch of work in the off season..
Being a good coach ..Is sustaining winning seasons..
He still has a chance..We'll see...
He's rode TJD hard...
Haha zero chance huh. If you say so. He took over a 12 win team and has made back to back tournaments and just got us a 4 seed which someone said we have only had 4 seed or higher 4 times in 20 years. He has already proven that he is a good coach. One year not making the tournament will not be his end.

Zero chance as long he wants..
You don't think heads explode if IU isn't in the tournament next yr..
Woodson and his staff have a whole bunch of work in the off season..
Being a good coach ..Is sustaining winning seasons..
He still has a chance..We'll see...
He's rode TJD hard...
Heads may explode if IU doesn't make the tournament next year, but zero chance he is fired for it unless he has a Louisville type season and/or major violations are committed.

Reactions: kkott and Beorik
Great programs would have filled 4 like they are allowed with the plus 1. Football does it every year. We have a serious depth issue in front court next year
Football has a ton more wiggle room with like 70 scholarships lol. And outside of perhaps Duke and Kentucky who have one and done every year, I haven’t seen a lot of programs over recruiting. Especially not since the transfer rule changed.

Great programs would have filled 4 like they are allowed with the plus 1. Football does it every year. We have a serious depth issue in front court next year
Football is a completely different animal than basketball, it's not worth the comparison. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas don't have to worry about oversigning because they don't allot their full scholarships to begin with.

Football has a ton more wiggle room with like 70 scholarships lol. And outside of perhaps Duke and Kentucky who have one and done every year, I haven’t seen a lot of programs over recruiting. Especially not since the transfer rule changed.
Bingo. He'll find a way to argue otherwise though.

Reactions: Beorik
Bingo. He'll find a way to argue otherwise though.
So you don’t think Woodson would know what his roster would look like? He loses his front court and signs zero bigs. Plus Dunscomb is a major flight risk and I would say JG is as well.

So you don’t think Woodson would know what his roster would look like? He loses his front court and signs zero bigs. Plus Dunscomb is a major flight risk and I would say JG is as well.
Perhaps Woodson is confident in Reneau's ability to take over for TJD and prefers a veteran in the frontcourt via the portal to start alongside him rather than an 18 year old freshman? We went over this Saturday. There are multiple ways to recruit nowadays, high school ranks account for just a fraction.

Perhaps Woodson is confident in Reneau's ability to take over for TJD and prefers a veteran in the frontcourt via the portal to start alongside him rather than an 18 year old freshman? We went over this Saturday. There are multiple ways to recruit nowadays, high school ranks account for just a fraction.
We will see, seems he will have to do that every year vs recruiting and developing.

Would be pretty solid for a 6th guy on a good team. The fact that he's been able to start so many games for us is disturbing.
How many good teams have 5 players a avg 10+ ppg? Last year Race was honorable mention all B1G, that is not 6th man on most teams

Reactions: asindc
Justin Smith was not markedly better at Arkansas. Neither was Al Durham at Providence. Franklin's been slightly better at Virginia than IU, but most upperclassmen are better than they were as Freshman and Sophomore. Same goes for Hunter, but he was pretty darned bad last year for Xavier. He's picked it up this year playing mostly inside.

I guess we have different definitions of "starring roles". I do however agree with the main point of your post, IU's talent is not the issue. We've had plenty of talent to be successful over the last several years.
Justin Smith averaged 17.75 pts and 8.25 rebs his last 12 games with the pigs, and played 450 of 480 possible minutes down the stretch. Al Durham averaged 13 pts 3 rebs and 3 assists in conference play. He was selected to the Big East All-Tournament team and was also named to the NCAA All Region team in the Midwest Region.

You're right that they were pretty much the same dudes, but they played for coaches who knew how to utilize their individual talents and they were integral parts to team success.

I marvel when someone posts an opinion and it’s accepted as fact by everyone. “Our recruiting has been bad…”. This is Woody’s first freshman class: JHS is NBA bound, Malik is a major contributor; Gunn was not expected to play much this season but figures into the future; Banks has played limited but key minutes. Freshmen do not typically play lots of minutes when the core of a NCAA tournament caliber team returns mostly intact! Some players don’t pan out, some get injured, some will flourish elsewhere, etc. But Crean certainly had a good run of talented recruits, Archie did not leave the cupboards bare, and Woody has had a strong start. Purdue had a great season, and aside from Edey, there’s no one in the roster that’s a great talent. They had Williams and a Top 5 pick in NBA draft leave yet they have accomplished more without. The point is, you don’t need all 5* players to compete at a high level. Our recruiting has been good enough to compete even after a most difficult time under Archie where we were dead in the water in terms of a presence nationally. We’ll have scholarships to fill via portal, and we might lose a couple due to transfer. Next season might be a step backwards, but until the portal dust settles we won’t really know.

Justin Smith averaged 17.75 pts and 8.25 rebs his last 12 games with the pigs, and played 450 of 480 possible minutes down the stretch. Al Durham averaged 13 pts 3 rebs and 3 assists in conference play. He was selected to the Big East All-Tournament team and was also named to the NCAA All Region team in the Midwest Region.

You're right that they were pretty much the same dudes, but they played for coaches who knew how to utilize their individual talents and they were integral parts to team success.
Smith was awesome in the end for Arkansas. Durham was less efficient than he was at IU but played on a better team at Providence, although he was very clutch for them at end of game situations. But no, I don't think he went to Providence and just got magically better.

Again, you're panicking about guys who, before the season, had the chance to prove themselves, and because they've struggled, it has become more likely they might leave. He was recruiting Page and Booker, along with the couple guys who committed to MD... and maybe others. I think his full intention was to take 1 more frontcourt guy in either Booker or Page, and I'd rather see him wait to see what shakes out in the spring via portal or freshman who decommit because of a coaching change. We've not done badly there in Banks and Reneau and some might consider Kopp a failure, but he's been a 2 year starter and I think has played pretty well this year.

I marvel when someone posts an opinion and it’s accepted as fact by everyone. “Our recruiting has been bad…”. This is Woody’s first freshman class: JHS is NBA bound, Malik is a major contributor; Gunn was not expected to play much this season but figures into the future; Banks has played limited but key minutes. Freshmen do not typically play lots of minutes when the core of a NCAA tournament caliber team returns mostly intact! Some players don’t pan out, some get injured, some will flourish elsewhere, etc. But Crean certainly had a good run of talented recruits, Archie did not leave the cupboards bare, and Woody has had a strong start. Purdue had a great season, and aside from Edey, there’s no one in the roster that’s a great talent. They had Williams and a Top 5 pick in NBA draft leave yet they have accomplished more without. The point is, you don’t need all 5* players to compete at a high level. Our recruiting has been good enough to compete even after a most difficult time under Archie where we were dead in the water in terms of a presence nationally. We’ll have scholarships to fill via portal, and we might lose a couple due to transfer. Next season might be a step backwards, but until the portal dust settles we won’t really know.
I think there are many arguing against the original posts suggestion.

I think there are many arguing against the original posts suggestion.
Yes - there is a mix. But every time I see a “coaching is inadequate “ or a “players don’t develop” and people fall in line, it makes me scream.

Of course we'll see which is why declaring next year a disaster before next year starts serves no purpose to any intellectual discussion.
So you can’t have a discussion that it looks like a very risky move? Personally I’m fine adding a portal guy but I also think you need a big in every class as a recruit. Especially if you are recruiting 5 star guys like Malik who may not be here 4 years

Again, you're panicking about guys who, before the season, had the chance to prove themselves, and because they've struggled, it has become more likely they might leave. He was recruiting Page and Booker, along with the couple guys who committed to MD... and maybe others. I think his full intention was to take 1 more frontcourt guy in either Booker or Page, and I'd rather see him wait to see what shakes out in the spring via portal or freshman who decommit because of a coaching change. We've not done badly there in Banks and Reneau and some might consider Kopp a failure, but he's been a 2 year starter and I think has played pretty well this year.
Current roster next year
5 Malik…..Dunscomb(will he be here)
4 JG?, Banks?
3 Bates, newton
2 Galloway, Gunn Leal
1 X (if approved) Cupps

JHS will go pro,

Need a 4 and depth at 5 still

We had arguably an AA in TJD, lottery pick possibly in JHS, a six year guy in Race, 5th year guy in Kopp and two top 40 players coming off the bench. This team has talents but either scheme, focus, coaching, culture is off. This team shouldn’t be talent wise, a 21-25 best team in country and being swept by teams like PSU, Iowa and NW.
Dear Pseudo IU fan, please quick let us know what other teams out there lost their lead guard, probably one of the better points in the country so early in the season, were forced to have a freshman run the team, a great player, but not a point, and lost another key player earlier in the year, and still came in third in a brutal conference. We won, what 22 games and beat a one seed twice. We had a pretty damn good year all things given. Period.

Dear Pseudo IU fan, please quick let us know what other teams out there lost their lead guard, probably one of the better points in the country so early in the season, were forced to have a freshman run the team, a great player, but not a point, and lost another key player earlier in the year, and still came in third in a brutal conference. We won, what 22 games and beat a one seed twice. We had a pretty damn good year all things given. Period.
Duke lost Roach most of early season and he came back and won the ACC tourney. Also JHS is a true PG

How many good teams have 5 players a avg 10+ ppg? Last year Race was honorable mention all B1G, that is not 6th man on most teams
There's more to it than averaging 9/6. He can't guard people on the parameter. He can't get out to defend, and if he does they blow by him. He can't shoot from more than 10 feet out and is a poor FTer, especially at the end of games. He really has no interior moves against anyone as big or bigger than himself. He can't handle the ball. He's very limited.

My only gripe with the 2023 class (and I have been very vocal about this) is Woody and staff seemingly pulled the plug on Coen Carr and he ultimately ended up at Michigan State. We stopped pursuing Carr in favor of some better shooting wings and lost both to the same college.
How does Coen Carr help next year? Next year's team is in big need of scorers and shooting. Carr doesn't help with either.

Current roster next year
5 Malik…..Dunscomb(will he be here)
4 JG?, Banks?
3 Bates, newton
2 Galloway, Gunn Leal
1 X (if approved) Cupps

JHS will go pro,

Need a 4 and depth at 5 still
Have to get a scorer on the wing. Can't go into next season with the current projected guards on our roster.

Purdue started two freshman guards and won the Big ten and got a 1 seed.

Race was a top 100 guy. Have you looked at B10 recruiting? Almost every class includes guys 80+, even for top programs. Offering RT is not indicative of a problem, if the coach determines he can help.
#134 on 247; not in the top 150 on Rivals. Wasn't he Archie's first recruit?

Last edited:
Purdue started two freshman guards and won the Big ten and got a 1 seed.
Won the BT by 3 games; Rutgers turned their season around at the end when they began starting Simpson, a true freshman guard who was in the 300s in recruiting rankings. OSU turned their season around when Holtman gave the keys to Thornton, a true freshman pg. PSU got better when they started played true freshman guard Clary. Illinois started true freshman guard Epps, and missed him greatly when he went out with a concussion.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I don't agree with much of this post, especially your Galloway take. Galloway is a winning player. He makes winning plays. We need more players like Galloway, imo.

It takes most freshman some time to get acclimated to the college game. Gunn and Banks have a chance to be very good players, imo.

Half of most teams players rarely leave the bench. C'mon man.
Love Trey, but his limitations became more obvious when he took over the starting role, and when other teams realized he could shoot the open 3. He seems to be better as a 20M/game 6th player off the bench. Maybe he can again reinvent himself before next year.

Reactions: bsmitty08
If X is going to be cleared (not likely imo), then he and Malik are there only surefire starters on the team. Should look to improve the other 3 starting spots via the portal.
Need a 4 and we need a wing scorer. Bates needs to mature and become a player.
Zero depth to guard teams bigs though

How does Coen Carr help next year? Next year's team is in big need of scorers and shooting. Carr doesn't help with either.
Coen Carr is the most explosive athlete in the class and can guard out on the perimeter. IU has been abused all year by teams who have an athletic 4 man who can score inside out; Tubelis, Jalen Wilson, and Murray x2.

Did you watch any of the games?

Reactions: Beorik
Coen Carr is the most explosive athlete in the class and can guard out on the perimeter. IU has been abused all year by teams who have an athletic 4 man who can score inside out; Tubelis, Jalen Wilson, and Murray x2.

I don’t know much about Carr but completely agree with your take about perimeter 4s. I think Banks could develop into someone who can guard that type of guy but we do need another.

So you mean our explosive athletes at the 3/4 like JG, Banks, and Newton aren’t enough, we need yet another low skill high athleticism player?

We need an upgrade at the 4, there is no doubt, but Coen Carr is not the answer. We need a 4 with a similar play style to those you mentioned above.

Galloway is NOT the problem.
Amen. Galloway brings incredibly good defense, hustle, some playmaking ability, and efficient shooting. He will never be a 20 ppg scorer but most teams only have one of those at a time. Everyone else needs to do other things to contribute to winning. Galloway contributes in more ways than most to winning.

Reactions: kkott and TyWebbIU
He isn’t the answer either, plays hard but we need a scorer at the 2
No we don't. We simply need enough scorers on the floor at the same time. We don't "need" a scorer at the 2. Galloway is much closer to the answer than the problem. Facts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT