ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford

FBI report was a non-issue? Not what Tim Langford says:

Looks like baby got put into a corner . . .
angry-mother-age-3035-her-260nw-683558179.jpg

Yep. I'm looking pretty dumb after the fact. Recruiting is a fickle friend.
Props for coming back and admitting it. :)

Serious question: In your opinion how does the KU fanbase feel about the FBI investigation? Even though you haven’t been directly implicated, does what happened with 4-5 players in recent years give you pause on how KU is recruiting?

Serious question: In your opinion how does the KU fanbase feel about the FBI investigation? Even though you haven’t been directly implicated, does what happened with 4-5 players in recent years give you pause on how KU is recruiting?

I'll answer. They don't care.

They are preseason top-5 with some having them #1.

Bury that head deep!

I think overall that the AAU system and handlers are corrupt. I think every school who has top 100 players have players where agents or shoe companies have paid handlers money. I do not think the KU staff is directly involved like say Louisville and Arizona coachers are on record of allegedly being involved. History has shown that once KU sniffs that someone is tainted, they don't play them. So I concur with the FBI investigation that KU is a victim of said corruption.

I think overall that the AAU system and handlers are corrupt. I think every school who has top 100 players have players where agents or shoe companies have paid handlers money. I do not think the KU staff is directly involved like say Louisville and Arizona coachers are on record of allegedly being involved. History has shown that once KU sniffs that someone is tainted, they don't play them. So I concur with the FBI investigation that KU is a victim of said corruption.
Sorry, but Romeo and his family disagrees. You and Louisville lost him for the same reason. We got him because we're not like you.

They stop playing them once they think it will lead to forfeited games, is what you meant to say. Kids are kid. However, KU makes a living off tainted adults.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
I'll answer. They don't care.

They are preseason top-5 with some having them #1.

Bury that head deep!

I don't think Self himself has ever offered money to a recruit or instructed any of his coaching staff or outside parties to do any such thing.

I do think he is aware of the fact that the families of some of the kids he brings into his program have received benefits behind the back of the KU administration. He might even have suspicions about what specific recruits they are/ have been.

However, once the faintest hint of wrongdoing comes to light he's shown time and time again that he's going to hold that player out of games, even if the NCAA hasn't instructed him to do so. He'll never risk having to vacate games because him and his staff truly are ignorant to any impropriety going on and he intends to keep it that way.

That's why people jumping down his throat for the De Sousa thing is so stupid. He was literally is the midst of holding out Preston until he could get a good explanation for the source of his vehicle. You think hes going to go bend the rules and bribe an early qualifier when he's already shown the cautiousness he did with Preston?

A dirty program sweeps the car crash under the rug, KU holds him out and asks the NCAA for a ruling. People don't seem to realize that Preston was available to play the entire season, KU just never got an answer from the NCAA that made them feel as if there might not be potential blowback later.

You could argue that he should be doing better background checks into the kids/ families he brings into the program, KU fans would argue that it's his job to win basketball games, not launch investigations into families of potential recruits.

Sorry, but Romeo and his family disagrees. You and Louisville lost him for the same reason. We got him because we're not like you.

I think KU will be fine. And if there is one thing we learned it's that Papa Langford doesn't mind sounding off on behalf of his son.

Maybe Romeo feels the same way about KU. Maybe Langford's dad is projecting like we know he enjoys doing.

I don't think Self himself has ever offered money to a recruit or instructed any of his coaching staff or outside parties to do any such thing.

I do think he is aware of the fact that the families of some of the kids he brings into his program have received benefits behind the back of the KU administration. He might even have suspicions about what specific recruits they are/ have been.

However, once the faintest hint of wrongdoing comes to light he's shown time and time again that he's going to hold that player out of games, even if the NCAA hasn't instructed him to do so. He'll never risk having to vacate games because him and his staff truly are ignorant to any impropriety going on and he intends to keep it that way.

That's why people jumping down his throat for the De Sousa thing is so stupid. He was literally is the midst of holding out Preston until he could get a good explanation for the source of his vehicle. You think hes going to go bend the rules and bribe an early qualifier when he's already shown the cautiousness he did with Preston?

A dirty program sweeps the car crash under the rug, KU holds him out and asks the NCAA for a ruling. People don't seem to realize that Preston was available to play the entire season, KU just never got an answer from the NCAA that made them feel as if there might not be potential blowback later.

You could argue that he should be doing better background checks into the kids/ families he brings into the program, KU fans would argue that it's his job to win basketball games, not launch investigations into families of potential recruits.

Ya, it's good playbook. go for kids who will arrive under questionable circumstances and/ or with questionable transcripts, and then distance yourself from them when their eligibility inevitably comes into question. KU fan is okay with that. They don't mind a little shade. Everyone is happy. The beat goes on....unless of course the Feds have really decided to make this a thing. KU will just find a new way to cheat. They...always...have. That's why they are UK-Lite or Diet UNC or whatever.

Reactions: TopSet80
I think KU will be fine. And if there is one thing we learned it's that Papa Langford doesn't mind sounding off on behalf of his son.

Maybe Romeo feels the same way about KU. Maybe Langford's dad is projecting like we know he enjoys doing.
I suspect Romeo's dad was just being honest, just as he was earlier when he discussed the Kentucky and North Carolina recruitments with a reporter. I also suspect that if Romeo didn't feel with same with those two schools, he wouldn't have dropped both of them from his list. Of course, I realize some people have a big problem with honesty when it doesn't comport with their agenda.

Reactions: hondo314
Ya, it's good playbook. go for kids who will arrive under questionable circumstances and/ or with questionable transcripts, and then distance yourself from them when their eligibility inevitably comes into question. KU fan is okay with that. They don't mind a little shade. Everyone is happy. The beat goes on....unless of course the Feds have really decided to make this a thing. KU will just find a new way to cheat. They...always...have. That's why they are UK-Lite or Diet UNC or whatever.

Well..... I don't think they're purposely going after questionable kids. I think they're going after talent and when problems arise they take the proper steps to show they were not involved.

They're not running a monastery, they're running a multi-million dollar basketball program, with dozens of jobs on the line.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I suspect Romeo's dad was just being honest, just as he was earlier when he discussed the Kentucky and North Carolina recruitments with a reporter. I also suspect that if Romeo didn't feel with same with those two schools, he wouldn't have dropped both of them from his list. Of course, I realize some people have a big problem with honesty when it doesn't comport with their agenda.

I'd like to hear it from Romeo and not his dad who we know is probably a bit of an overbearing loud mouth.

I 100% believe Mr. Langford feels that way, I also think he projecting onto his son.

Just read the quote above. I see a whole lot of Me/ I/ My but not once does he say investigation turned Romeo himself off of KU.

Last edited:
Well..... I don't think they're purposely going after questionable kids. I think they're going after talent and when problems arise they take the proper steps to show they were not involved.

They're not running a monastery, they're running a multi-million dollar basketball program, with dozens of jobs on the line.

you really don't think they know what they are doing? for the time and the money they put into recruiting you don't think they know anything about these kids and who is handling them? that's a Cal story.

every program has dozens of jobs on the line. The stakes are some how higher at KU? if so, only because they will clearly win at all costs. a culture of cheating. again, UK-lite. more power to them. i am glad IU is a few degrees less shady. we're lucky we can compete if we just get our slightly more legitimate pipeline of kids going. i'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
you really don't think they know what they are doing? for the time and the money they put into recruiting you don't think they know anything about these kids and who is handling them? that's a Cal story.

Yeah I really think they don't. Like I said. Self isn't an idiot he knows that he's had and will have players who come through his program receive improper benefits.

He doesn't have any idea of who those players are outside of suspicions though. If the KUAD wants to create an investigative arm used for looking into recruits families I suppose they could?

Outside of that his job is to win games. And when IU starts being in the top 10 every year and people start throwing mud at us, we'll know what's like to be on the defensive side of this particular issue.

I'd like to hear it from Romeo and not his dad who we know is probably a bit of an overbearing loud mouth.

I 100% believe Mr. Langford feels that way, I also think he projecting onto his son.

Just read the quote above. I see a whole lot of Me/ I/ My but not once does he say investigation turned Romeo himself off of KU.
I'll repeat what you failed to address. Do you believe Romeo's dad was just being a loudmouth about Kentucky or North Carolina, or did Romeo feel the same way? And if Romeo didn't feel the same way, why did he drop those two schools from his list?

Reactions: hondo314
I'll repeat what you failed to address. Do you believe Romeo's dad was just being a loudmouth about Kentucky or North Carolina, or did Romeo feel the same way? And if Romeo didn't feel the same way, why did he drop those two schools from his list?

Is it possible he dropped other schools from his list for any other multitude of reasons?

Or is IU's sales pitch going to be "We run a cleaner program than those other guys". Maybe Romeo wanted to stay in the Midwest and play for IU because he liked Archie and thought he fit in well with the existing roster, and loves the in-state following?

Nah. It had to be because we're more morale than the rest, that's the only reason someone would pick us over UK, UNC, KU, Louisville, etc.

Again. Let me here Romeo say it. His dad is obnoxious.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

That's because he was giving his thought on it not Romeo's.

Yeah I really think they don't. Like I said. Self isn't an idiot he knows that he's had and will have players who come through his program receive improper benefits.

He doesn't have any idea of who those players are outside of suspicions though. If the KUAD wants to create an investigative arm used for looking into recruits families I suppose they could?

Outside of that his job is to win games. And when IU starts being in the top 10 every year and people start throwing mud at us, we'll know what's like to be on the defensive side of this particular issue.

oh man. he knows. everyone knows. these aren't LDS recruiters. Self just never has to be in the room with the dope anymore. dude is Avon Barksdale. lol.

KU isn't getting mud slung on it because they are top ten every year. it's because of a long history of cheating and enrolling ineligible players. lol.

you are a trusting cynic. not a bad combo. i'm probably only a few degrees off of that. this perfect game just makes people ugly af.

Reactions: TopSet80
Is it possible he dropped other schools from his list for any other multitude of reasons?

Or is IU's sales pitch going to be "We run a cleaner program than those other guys". Maybe Romeo wanted to stay in the Midwest and play for IU because he liked Archie and thought he fit in well with the existing roster, and loves the in-state following?

Nah. It had to be because we're more morale than the rest, that's the only reason someone would pick us over UK, UNC, KU, Louisville, etc.

Again. Let me here Romeo say it. His dad is obnoxious.
In other words, you're gonna ignore the statements on the record and believe whatever you want. And you've decided that someone you've never met and heard speak for 5 minutes is "obnoxious." OK.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
oh man. he knows. everyone knows. these aren't LDS recruiters. Self just never has to be in the room with the dope anymore. dude is Avon Barksdale. lol.

KU isn't getting mud slung on it because they are top ten every year. it's because of a long history of cheating and enrolling ineligible players. lol.

you are a trusting cynic. not a bad combo. i'm probably only a few degrees off of that. this perfect game just makes people ugly af.

Must be fun to live in the world of conspiracy theories.

every program has dozens of jobs on the line. The stakes are some how higher at KU? if so, only because they will clearly win at all costs. a culture of cheating. again, UK-lite. more power to them. i am glad IU is a few degrees less shady. we're lucky we can compete if we just get our slightly more legitimate pipeline of kids going. i'm looking forward to it.

You really think this isn't a widespread problem that doesn't touch every P5 program?

The Langfords seem like a very grounded family. It is probably why Romeo seems to have his head screwed on straight, and it's a great thing to see.

You really think this isn't a widespread problem that doesn't touch every P5 program?

Some more directly and deeply than others, I gather.

One thing the NCAA needs to do is to start penalizing coaches more than they historically have. I'm not saying that they should penalize the schools less. But they should also start hitting unscrupulous coaches where it hurts: the pocketbook.

And one thing RMK has been right about for many years is that the influence (and $) of the shoe and apparel companies in college and other venues of amateur athletics sits right at the heart of the problem. I'm not quite sure what they should do about that. I'm sure member institutions which comprise the NCAA would never allow the central body to disallow the apparel contracts that so many programs rely on.

One thing the NCAA needs to do is to start penalizing coaches more than they historically have. I'm not saying that they should penalize the schools less. But they should also start hitting unscrupulous coaches where it hurts: the pocketbook.

And one thing RMK has been right about for many years is that the influence (and $) of the shoe and apparel companies in college and other venues of amateur athletics sits right at the heart of the problem. I'm not quite sure what they should do about that. I'm sure member institutions which comprise the NCAA would never allow the central body to disallow the apparel contracts that so many programs rely on.
I don't think this is really a difficult problem.

Isn't it still the case that a non-athlete student must submit a financial statement from his immediate family even to get a simple student loan? If so, then seems to me an athlete's family should also have to submit a similar form to each recruiting university, and the form could be modified to require disclosures like "I didn't get any money from shoe companies or anyone else and I am not aware that my son/daughter student athlete or his/her aunts/ uncles/brothers/sisters or any other relatives or acquaintances or anyone else got any money either from anybody either."

The recent FBI news claims that shoe companies were paying money to relatives. If the schools are really victims (as the FBI recent charges assert), then the additional forms would make clear to the family members that they are doing something wrong as to the universities, even if the shoe companies pay the mothers in cash, as was reported several times in recent cases.

I get the idea that (1) some of the family members in some of the notorious cases we've all read about claim they don't have a clue they were personally doing something wrong since they were not the athlete, and (2) some of the recruited athletes claim they didn't think they were getting a benefit since they weren't the ones who got the money.

However, everyone slows down at least a little bit when they are required to sign something.

What coaches/ staffs would you have fined already and on what grounds?

Aside from Pitino of course.

What coaches/ staffs would you have fined already and on what grounds?

Aside from Pitino of course.

Well, how about Kelvin Sampson (of Oklahoma)?

If the NCAA had done that, perhaps Kelvin Sampson (of Indiana) would’ve thought twice about doing it all over again. Indiana suffered most of the consequences there. The two-time perp, however, landed squarely on his feet and is now Kelvin Sampson (of Houston).

It’s ridiculous that the schools suffer virtually all of the consequences. They should, of course, if they truly deserve most of the blame for what happened. But if the coaches are to blame — whether their involvement was active or intentionally passive — then why should they escape the penalties?

Reactions: IUgradman
In other words, you're gonna ignore the statements on the record and believe whatever you want. And you've decided that someone you've never met and heard speak for 5 minutes is "obnoxious." OK.

Not often you get proven right so quickly, but I'll take it. Seems Mr. Langford may have been projecting a bit with his comments about KU.

No, it seems as if what has been reported is way over your head.

Tim Langford is at best, a helicopter parent, and at worst, funneling Adidas money from his AAU team to himself.

What we know for a fact is he is a hypocrite for saying the things he did about Kansas, when he's working the system for his own benefit as well.

The fact that you can't admit that is baffling.

Tim Langford is at best, a helicopter parent, and at worst, funneling Adidas money from his AAU team to himself.

What we know for a fact is he is a hypocrite for saying the things he did about Kansas, when he's working the system for his own benefit as well.

The fact that you can't admit that is baffling.
You know nothing about how he parents his children. Absolutely, positively nothing.

You have no evidence whatsoever regarding what he did with the money he earned from running an AAU team. What he did is something that is commonly done by many, including Eric Gordon's father, and is not against any laws or NCAA regulations. While it may be true that you don't personally like it, it may shock you that nobody cares about that.

What is truly baffling is the gap between what you allege and what you actually know. It is the equivalent of the gap between infinity and zero.

You know nothing about how he parents his children. Absolutely, positively nothing.

You have no evidence whatsoever regarding what he did with the money he earned from running an AAU team. What he did is something that is commonly done by many, including Eric Gordon's father, and is not against any laws or NCAA regulations. While it may be true that you don't personally like it, it may shock you that nobody cares about that.

What is truly baffling is the gap between what you allege and what you actually know. It is the equivalent of the gap between infinity and zero.

On the contrary, I don't really have a problem with what Tim Langford did. Lot's of parents run AAU teams.

I do have a problem with him casting aspersions at other schools when he was about to send his kid to Louisville and him starting an AAU team for one year only to disband it the second his son made a college decision.

The cognitive dissonance for him to come out and say what he did about UNC or UK or KU is astounding. Nothing done by Bagley or Jacksons parents was illegal either, and those schools weren't involved, but he still goes ahead and publicly trashes them.

It makes sense too, why would Tim Langford want his son going to schools under as much scrutiny as Kansas or KU when he has his own skeletons? If everything he did was truly above board, how does rumors at KU change anything?

Maybe for Romeo it didn't at all, but he enjoys speaking on his behalf so we'll never know.

Last edited:
On the contrary, I don't really have a problem with what Tim Langford did. Lot's of parents run AUU teams.

I do have a problem with him casting aspersions at other schools when he was about to send his kid to Louisville and him starting an AUU team for one year only to disband it the second his son made a college decision.

The cognitive dissonance for him to come out and say what he did about UNC or UK or KU is astounding. Nothing done by Bagley or Jacksons parents was illegal either, and those schools weren't involved, but he still goes ahead and publicly trashes them.

It makes sense too, why would Tim Langford want his son going to schools under as much scrutiny as Kansas or KU when he has his own skeletons? If everything he did was truly above board, how does rumors at KU change anything?

Maybe for Romeo it didn't at all, but he enjoys speaking on his behalf so we'll never know.
What you have totally failed to explain is what Tim Langford did wrong, unethical, or immoral. And given your pathetic non-answers to questions I asked you before in this thread, I suspect that will continue to be the case.

Since you clearly can't make the distinction, let me help you: Kansas is under investigation by the FBI regarding the possibility that the program was involved in securing payments for prospective players. Tim Langford was being paid to coach an AAU team and is not under investigation, and did nothing wrong. The fact that he was paid to coach an AAU team does not preclude him and his son for eliminating Kansas from consideration as a potential school, as Kansas very possibly HAS done something wrong. You slinging baseless, ridiculous allegations regarding his parenting skills and personality doesn't change any of that.

Look, I realize that some people like to stir that pot even if it means making a fool of themselves, especially on an anonymous message board. You'll have to continue with that further on your own. And I'm sure you'll do quite fine. Have a good evening.

Reactions: Cutter1973
What you have totally failed to explain is what Tim Langford did wrong, unethical, or immoral. And given your pathetic non-answers to questions I asked you before in this thread, I suspect that will continue to be the case.

Since you clearly can't make the distinction, let me help you: Kansas is under investigation by the FBI regarding the possibility that the program was involved in securing payments for prospective players. Tim Langford was being paid to coach an AAU team and is not under investigation, and did nothing wrong. The fact that he was paid to coach an AAU team does not preclude him and his son for eliminating Kansas from consideration as a potential school, as Kansas very possibly HAS done something wrong. You slinging baseless, ridiculous allegations regarding his parenting skills and personality doesn't change any of that.

Look, I realize that some people like to stir that pot even if it means making a fool of themselves, especially on an anonymous message board. You'll have to continue with that further on your own. And I'm sure you'll do quite fine. Have a good evening.

Your entire premise is wrong because Kansas is not under investigation by the FBI. Neither is Duke or UK or UNC.

Again I'm not saying what Tim Langford did is illegal or unethical in any way. I take exception when he casts aspersion at other schools for the actions of parents who are taking actions similar to him.

It's not a big deal, just an unnecessary and regrettable statement on his part, but when you talk as much as he does you'll find yourself in some jams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT