ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue has almost a week off to prepare/rest up for IU

Woodsa

Redshirt
Jul 18, 2004
Round Two. IU has to do something to slow down Purdue's inside game, does IU come out in a zone and force Purdue to shoot the 3ptr?

Round Two. IU has to do something to slow down Purdue's inside game, does IU come out in a zone and force Purdue to shoot the 3ptr?

I don't think any team would last long in a zone against Purdue in Mackey.

Purdue's 8-man rotation is shooting 41.1% from 3 this year. Four of those players are on significant volume.

In Mackey, they are even better.

I don't think Woodson has the horses this year to win in Mackey. But I'll take solace that if he does he'll likely earn a contract extension. ;)

I know you are kidding but is there a spread out for this game. I think it will be one of two scenarios:

1. IU gets down early and is blown out to a loud and rocking Mackey arena. Or,
2. IU plays a great game and keeps its close the whole game but still comes up short.

If they are handicapped due to injuries then it may be the former. The mid-week game at OSU doesn't help.

I would try to make them beat you on drives. Obviously dump offs to Edey are difficult to guard, not its still better than giving up their swing ball skip pass 3pters.

Nope. We’re going to do the same things we’ve done all year and lose by 30. We’re going to run zero offense, leave PU shooters wide open & get out rebounded. Oh, and miss some FTs, like a bonus. PU shoots ~40% from 3? I say nay. I believe we can make PU to shoot ~60% from 3.

I know you are kidding but is there a spread out for this game. I think it will be one of two scenarios:

1. IU gets down early and is blown out to a loud and rocking Mackey arena. Or,
2. IU plays a great game and keeps its close the whole game but still comes up short.

If they are handicapped due to injuries then it may be the former. The mid-week game at OSU doesn't help.
I hope Purdue beats IU by 25-30. Whatever to help fix this situation.

zone is grasping at straws. A bad man defensive team isn't going to suddenly be good by switching to a zone. The zone only worked against Lville because they couldn't shoot and the only thing they had that was hurting us was that guard penetrating. Purdue is a well-rounded roster and can beat you in more than 1 way and with more than 1 player. A zone is also going to give up a lot more offensive rebounds to a team that doesn't block out well. I think a zone would be horrible vs Purdue.

zone is grasping at straws. A bad man defensive team isn't going to suddenly be good by switching to a zone. The zone only worked against Lville because they couldn't shoot and the only thing they had that was hurting us was that guard penetrating. Purdue is a well-rounded roster and can beat you in more than 1 way and with more than 1 player. A zone is also going to give up a lot more offensive rebounds to a team that doesn't block out well. I think a zone would be horrible vs Purdue.
But this bad man defensive team in IU has done great in zone. So your logic is a bit flawed so far. The issue with zone is zone gives up easy 3 pointers..............I think we know IU does that anyways so you lose nothing by going to zone and actually got us more rebounds. Believe it or not, zone is the way to go.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
too many people swallowed the zone kool aid after the Lville game. They forget that Purdue is not Lville. Lville is a bad team. Purdue is a F4 favorite. Lville couldn't throw it into the ocean once we switched to zone. PU is one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the nation. The only way I see CMW selling his soul to zone defense vs PU is if we get into serious interior foul trouble...which BTW is quite likely. So yeah, we may see some zone, but I suspect it would be out of necessity, not by design.

In the end, I don't think it will matter either way.

Reactions: BleedinGold

I simply don't see any way we can win this game, sadly.

Gives me no joy to say it.

Purdue has a nice team. I'd like to see them v UNC, UCONN, TN, UK, etc. before I crown them anything more than the the best of the B10, though.

But they'll annihilate us.

Yea, not going to be pretty against Purdue if history is any indicator. (and it is IU does the same thing every game.)

what I would do is walk the ball up the court even if they are pressing, then have one of the guards initiate the offense about 40 feet from the basket with about 8 seconds on the shot clock, force it into the post only if Ware is getting double teamed otherwise id put up as many desperate 3s as possible preferably with Galloway or Gunn taking them. I would use Reneau's and MMs quickness to chase people on the perimeter. If I thought, we were getting hosed by the officials I would fold my arms possibly do a little head shake and Id move on there is no reason to act like a jackass. if somehow, we were to draw fouls with this offensive strategy I would instruct the shooter to try their darndest go for 50 percent. defensively we should let them get all the open 3s they want, we know from practice that few college kids can shoot a 20-foot jump shot. hell, most can't hit the rim from that distance. if we can limit PU to 1 offensive rebound per possession that would be outstanding also.

If we play hard and follow the above there is not a reason in hell, we can't keep it below a 25-point loss.

But this bad man defensive team in IU has done great in zone. So your logic is a bit flawed so far. The issue with zone is zone gives up easy 3 pointers..............I think we know IU does that anyways so you lose nothing by going to zone and actually got us more rebounds. Believe it or not, zone is the way to go.
Against who? What games do you think we've done great in? The only game where I thought it made an appreciable difference was Lville, where I thought we were going to lose and the zone stopped that penetration and they couldn't shoot over it. I do agree at times it's looked suprisingly passable, given how little we've played it, but I don't recall another game besides Lville and maybe one of the precon opponents where it helped change the outcome. I doubt it was against good teams, and that's my point, I don't think it will work vs PU. I think we're getting smoked anyway, so I agree there might be nothing to lose. I'd much rather us improve our perimeter D and blocking out, for instance and that would help whether we're man or zone.

Against who? What games do you think we've done great in? The only game where I thought it made an appreciable difference was Lville, where I thought we were going to lose and the zone stopped that penetration and they couldn't shoot over it. I do agree at times it's looked suprisingly passable, given how little we've played it, but I don't recall another game besides Lville and maybe one of the precon opponents where it helped change the outcome. I doubt it was against good teams, and that's my point, I don't think it will work vs PU. I think we're getting smoked anyway, so I agree there might be nothing to lose. I'd much rather us improve our perimeter D and blocking out, for instance and that would help whether we're man or zone.
Any time IU has gone to a zone this year, they have done better than they did m2m. Literally, every time. I am not saying going zone makes Indiana a good defensive team, it just makes us better than we are m2m. That is my point. IU still loses all of the games they have, regardless of which defense we played but the idea that going zone is a mistake is where I was questioning it.

Maybe we can convince your boys this game is akin to an early NCAA early round game...😉

Doubt even that would help...

At the moment, we are a bad team getting worse... Any Big Ten team will give us all we can handle and probably more from here on out...

Bringing in at least one sideline coach who can actually teach basketball fundamentals might help but we all know that's not going to happen...

Reactions: Lucy01
IU will have to pick what they want to stop: inside game with Zach and TKR or outside 3pt shooting.

Purdue will be a tough win but it is a rival game so anything is possible. Last year is a good example, but as had been said before, IU was better last year with different talent.

IU will have to pick what they want to stop: inside game with Zach and TKR or outside 3pt shooting.

Purdue will be a tough win but it is a rival game so anything is possible. Last year is a good example, but as had been said before, IU was better last year with different talent.
The year we lost 12 of 13 the one game we won was at MSU. So, we basically were so bad we lost 13 in a row, but won the toughest game. Anything can happen, and as you mentioned it ls a rivalry game.

Still, let’s see if we even make an attempt at getting off the mat versus osu before jumping ahead.

The year we lost 12 of 13 the one game we won was at MSU. So, we basically were so bad we lost 13 in a row, but won the toughest game. Anything can happen, and as you mentioned it ls a rivalry game.

Still, let’s see if we even make an attempt at getting off the mat versus osu before jumping ahead.
I think that was the year where we had like over half the roster hurt for for weeks on end. Race was out basically the whole year so most of that losing took place with like half a roster. This team is just not good period and I do not expect a close game at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT