ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty to UM could be a positive for IU

chaboom

Junior
Mar 17, 2005
It gives us a chance to see how he does in moving up to the B1G level. If he's successful and still has a place in his heart for IU, maybe things could work out a few years down the road. If he's not able to pull it off at this level, perhaps we've avoided another Archie-type situation.

It gives us a chance to see how he does in moving up to the B1G level. If he's successful and still has a place in his heart for IU, maybe things could work out a few years down the road. If he's not able to pull it off at this level, perhaps we've avoided another Archie-type situation.
Definitely possible.

Here's how I see May to IU playing out though, if it were to ever happen.

May has really good, sustained success at Michigan, if not great success.

IU moves on from Woodson next year, and hires someone else. For the love of God, the Admin picks a solid coach, and that coach has a very good 6-8 year run at IU. May is presently only 47-48 years old. He'd be in his mid 50s if the job were to open up again 6-8 years from now.

So, to recap...

Woody has a decent year next year, but we move on at years end.

We hire someone like Matta, or Pearl, and have a solid 6+ year run with them.

May is really good at Michigan during that time. But his heart is pulling him to IU.

When our next coach is ready to retire, or move on for whatever reason, we hire May.

We’ll see what his buyout is to leave, but five years at $3.75M isn’t the biggest contract. I’m surprised it wasn’t higher with UL in the mix.

Reactions: CG Paul
Just watch how Kentucky handles their coaching change....you will see how professionals operate. Rather than whining and squeeling over the 33 mil they spend to unload Cal...they will produce the 10+ mil per year that his replacement will get. And the name will be an IU fantasy for head coach. The rich get richer...even when they have to pay through the nose.

Just watch how Kentucky handles their coaching change....you will see how professionals operate. Rather than whining and squeeling over the 33 mil they spend to unload Cal...they will produce the 10+ mil per year that his replacement will get. And the name will be an IU fantasy for head coach. The rich get richer...even when they have to pay through the nose.
Not that UK won’t pay the $33M buyout, but there is already whining and squealing about having to pay it in the first place among UK fans.

I don't really know but how often does a successful coach go from one school to another within the same conference? It doesn't seem to me that it happens very often.
It does seem to happen in the SEC. But not elsewhere.

If he has success at a school like Michigan he will be able to name his price most anywhere. IU would have to cough of massive amounts of money to get him away from Michigan. Probably like 5- 6 million a year. He could be the next Archie or he could be the next brad Stevens you just don’t know that is always th risk of hiring a mid major type guy. But I doubt he ever ends up at IU now unless like I said they spend tons of money on him if he has good success.

I don't really know but how often does a successful coach go from one school to another within the same conference? It doesn't seem to me that it happens very often.
I hear what you are saying but who would have thought we would have a $3MM payroll on our roster.

Nothing we think we know is true anymore

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Definitely possible.

Here's how I see May to IU playing out though, if it were to ever happen.

May has really good, sustained success at Michigan, if not great success.

IU moves on from Woodson next year, and hires someone else. For the love of God, the Admin picks a solid coach, and that coach has a very good 6-8 year run at IU. May is presently only 47-48 years old. He'd be in his mid 50s if the job were to open up again 6-8 years from now.

So, to recap...

Woody has a decent year next year, but we move on at years end.

We hire someone like Matta, or Pearl, and have a solid 6+ year run with them.

May is really good at Michigan during that time. But his heart is pulling him to IU.

When our next coach is ready to retire, or move on for whatever reason, we hire May.
if May does well at Michigan, they will do whatever it takes to keep him, if he doesn't do well, we won't want him, so the May ship has sailed if he's a huge success we will look like idiots.

Or maybe May doesn’t want to coach at Indiana? Administration is probably the worst in the BIG.

Reactions: IUgradman
Or maybe we just sit back and see how May does at UM.

Next season hasn’t even started yet!!!! He could end up being there as long as RMK was here at IU…. Or he could crash and burn in 3 years at UM.

No use in talking about Woulda, Coulda or Shoulda until you actually see what happens.

Reactions: nichlee
I have resigned myself to IU being a high level MAC program in the Big 10. History is just that, in the past. IU is not interested in another coach that becomes bigger than life or the IU administration.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Not knocking the OP but it seems bizarre to suggest May would ever end up here. If he wins big, he stays at Michigan, and would be extremely highly paid.

If he doesn't win big...
Hmm, well, OK, I was wrong, Indiana would be interested then.

I would have liked him at Indiana... Don't know if I'm right or wrong that he'll win big at Michigan (I think he will, at least solid.) , but 99% sure that ship has sailed never to come to this port.

Reactions: Walt542
May does not want to coach at Indiana. He would not have come to IU because he knows the issues too well.
False. He would have loved to take this job. I live around a ton of people that know him.

UM is a very good job. Good history, in the B1G, rich, not too much pressure. They just got a little sideways with Howard. Should be not too hard to fix.

Last edited:
UM is a very good job. Good history, in the B1G, rich, not too much pressure. They just got a little sideways with Howard. Should be not too hard to fix.
Michigan has done more in the conference the last 20 years than IU and have had more deep tournament runs. Michigan is actually now a better gig than IU.
Nobody is lining up to play or coach at Dysfunctional University.

Remember when Memphis was going to be unbeatable when Penny Hardaway arrived?

If he has success I higly doubt he ends up at IU. Michigan will pay him whatever he wants at that point.

Michigan has done more in the conference the last 20 years than IU and have had more deep tournament runs. Michigan is actually now a better gig than IU.
Nobody is lining up to play or coach at Dysfunctional University.
It if a far better gig than IU and its not even close. We had one final four is 31 years. Michigan has two since 2012 including 8 sweet sixeteens. I think we have had two sweet sixeteens since 2002. IU is a joke of a program honestly we just have some old dusty banners but other than that we are no better than Iowa or Penn State.

It if a far better gig than IU and its not even close. We had one final four is 31 years. Michigan has two since 2012 including 8 sweet sixeteens. I think we have had two sweet sixeteens since 2002. IU is a joke of a program honestly we just have some old dusty banners but other than that we are no better than Iowa or Penn State.
Depends if he wants to go to a bball school and be a state hero. Big games at AH and tourney runs are different at IU.

He probably won’t want to take the risk, something is off about IU, but there is a difference. If I can’t hold out hope that someone sees this why care at all.

Depends if he wants to go to a bball school and be a state hero. Big games at AH and tourney runs are different at IU.

He probably won’t want to take the risk, something is off about IU, but there is a difference. If I can’t hold out hope that someone sees this why care at all.
Keep in mind the IU admins are too dumb to hire Dusty or they on purpose would not hire him. Remember we are told nobody wants this job no big name coaches even move around. So calipari goes to arkansas but not IU? Mussleman to USC but not IU? I dont buy for two seconds that we could not get these guys we simply refuse to do it. We do not even make an attempt to get big name guys. I guess maybe Stevens sort of but that was it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT