ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue has almost a week off to prepare/rest up for IU

I know you are kidding but is there a spread out for this game. I think it will be one of two scenarios:

1. IU gets down early and is blown out to a loud and rocking Mackey arena. Or,
2. IU plays a great game and keeps its close the whole game but still comes up short.

If they are handicapped due to injuries then it may be the former. The mid-week game at OSU doesn't help.
I'll take the first box Alex....

haha no question. "There is no doubt about it!" Creanism. Atleast fCTC worked his ass off when he was struggling. Woodson? Hands folded, looking to his shitty assistants.
Win or lose, it’s cigars with a little whiskey and wine.

I bet we pay our group of assistants the most in the B1G. Insane.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
That close?
I’m thinking 30 tbh — and only because it’s hard to not let off the gas a little when it’s a blowout. They’ll want payback from last year and IU is always on everyone’s mind in West Lafayette, so the crowd will be excited with their little cheer sheets and hand motions. Personally I won’t be watching the massacre.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
what I would do is walk the ball up the court even if they are pressing, then have one of the guards initiate the offense about 40 feet from the basket with about 8 seconds on the shot clock, force it into the post only if Ware is getting double teamed otherwise id put up as many desperate 3s as possible preferably with Galloway or Gunn taking them. I would use Reneau's and MMs quickness to chase people on the perimeter. If I thought, we were getting hosed by the officials I would fold my arms possibly do a little head shake and Id move on there is no reason to act like a jackass. if somehow, we were to draw fouls with this offensive strategy I would instruct the shooter to try their darndest go for 50 percent. defensively we should let them get all the open 3s they want, we know from practice that few college kids can shoot a 20-foot jump shot. hell, most can't hit the rim from that distance. if we can limit PU to 1 offensive rebound per possession that would be outstanding also.

If we play hard and follow the above there is not a reason in hell, we can't keep it below a 25-point loss.
Indiana will get beat
But it won't be the 37 point beat down Cody and his gang gave them.
Your #1 Rival has given you the worst loss in your home arena.
I always like that ~

giphy.gif

Great now will have to listen to this shit and get blown out.

They could play TENN on Thursday and UK on Friday and still beat us on Saturday like a tin drum
They could all provide prostitution services to the Purdue football team 1 hour before game time and still be ahead by 10 at halftime.

Their little cheers are awful. I’m very happy our students just organically cheer for the team. It’s so much better that way.

Do you know if the team will go back to Bloomington or just head to W. Lafayette after the OSU game since they will be up that way?

I have it in my head that teams will arrive a day or two ahead to get in practices.

I think IU pulls it together and wins at OSU, but runs into a buzz saw at Purdue. Purdue is off all week and will be itching to play.

H1/H2/F
Purdue: 54/44/98
Indiana: 39/32/71

I simply don't see any way we can win this game, sadly.

Gives me no joy to say it.

Purdue has a nice team. I'd like to see them v UNC, UCONN, TN, UK, etc. before I crown them anything more than the the best of the B10, though.

But they'll annihilate us.
They've beaten Tenn already. And Marquette...And Arizona...And Alabama. They would beat Kentucky. And probably UNC as well. When their guards are hitting shots...good luck.

And they just won @ Wisconsin.

Hate them. But this is a really good team

They've beaten Tenn already. And Marquette...And Arizona...And Alabama. They would beat Kentucky. And probably UNC as well. When their guards are hitting shots...good luck.

And they just won @ Wisconsin.

Hate them. But this is a really good team
The deeper the season gets, I think they'll be less likely to beat those teams and don't think they'd run that gamut if they meet 2-3 of those teams in the tournament. They returned about 80% of their scoring, the most dominant player in the country, added a nice complimentary piece in Jones and their players worked hard and improved, especially Smith. But, they were also near their max when the season started; high floor, but lower ceiling. Their guards can still be exploited and at some point when they get away from B10 officials, someone will get Edey in serious foul trouble. I don't think they're getting beaten in the first weekend, but I do think they'll get beaten. Might finally make it to a F4 though!

The deeper the season gets, I think they'll be less likely to beat those teams and don't think they'd run that gamut if they meet 2-3 of those teams in the tournament. They returned about 80% of their scoring, the most dominant player in the country, added a nice complimentary piece in Jones and their players worked hard and improved, especially Smith. But, they were also near their max when the season started; high floor, but lower ceiling. Their guards can still be exploited and at some point when they get away from B10 officials, someone will get Edey in serious foul trouble. I don't think they're getting beaten in the first weekend, but I do think they'll get beaten. Might finally make it to a F4 though!
Guards are better , and the addition of Jones makes this a much different team than a year ago.

I loathe Purdue, but this is a very good team, capable of winning it all

I don't think the ceiling is as low as you feel this year.

January was a brutal schedule. We traveled the most miles of any B1G team; we had the most # of overall games of any B1G team, and we had the most away games of any B1G team that month. We came out of it with only one loss in which the opposing team shot over 60% from 3PG on high volume. Tip their hat to them.

I couldn't be happier that we have rolled into February against the nation's #1 SOS and are sitting with only two losses and no injuries. Our travel will be minimal this month as we're loaded with home games, and many rest days are coming our way. There aren't many speed bumps between now and March, and then we get to warm back up for the final stretch with MSU, @Illinois, and Wisconsin.

This idea about "B1G officials" is more of a talking point than it should be, IMO. We didn't have B1G officials in our non-conference and did just fine against top-level teams. Last year, it was more that we were relying on two freshmen, inexperienced guards who ran into the freshman wall, and the physicality of the B1G beat them down.

That physicality hasn't bothered them as much this year. Not because it hasn't been there but because they are older and ready for it.

Now, will they get beaten? We'll see. Most #1 seeds never make the Final Four, but Purdue has been a 1-seed enough now that the odds/percentages need to play in its favor. If it doesn't, that will at least give most of you something to cheer about this year.

January was a brutal schedule. We traveled the most miles of any B1G team; we had the most # of overall games of any B1G team, and we had the most away games of any B1G team that month. We came out of it with only one loss in which the opposing team shot over 60% from 3PG on high volume. Tip their hat to them.

I couldn't be happier that we have rolled into February against the nation's #1 SOS and are sitting with only two losses and no injuries. Our travel will be minimal this month as we're loaded with home games, and many rest days are coming our way. There aren't many speed bumps between now and March, and then we get to warm back up for the final stretch with MSU, @Illinois, and Wisconsin.

This idea about "B1G officials" is more of a talking point than it should be, IMO. We didn't have B1G officials in our non-conference and did just fine against top-level teams. Last year, it was more that we were relying on two freshmen, inexperienced guards who ran into the freshman wall, and the physicality of the B1G beat them down.

That physicality hasn't bothered them as much this year. Not because it hasn't been there but because they are older and ready for it.

Now, will they get beaten? We'll see. Most #1 seeds never make the Final Four, but Purdue has been a 1-seed enough now that the odds/percentages need to play in its favor. If it doesn't, that will at least give most of you something to cheer about this year.
You may be right, I give PU plenty of credit, but I buy in totally that Edey catches breaks from B10 officials and also that while you played a great schedule and beat lots of good teams, you returned so much that you were already at a high level and I think some of the other teams will improve more. Yes, the odds should be in your favor, but the reality is, that doesn't matter unless your players decide to change it. I think you have a great shot at a F4 and NC this year, but I still see nothing special other than a hard-nosed team playing in a weak conference, once you get past Edey.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Nope. We’re going to do the same things we’ve done all year and lose by 30. We’re going to run zero offense, leave PU shooters wide open & get out rebounded. Oh, and miss some FTs, like a bonus. PU shoots ~40% from 3? I say nay. I believe we can make PU to shoot ~60% from 3.
I think we are due for a hot shooting night and keep it down to 15.

I’m concerned you have went through the growing/learning pains with the upsets. It’s been brutal for you all, but you’ve likely learned a lot and won’t let the bad upset happen again.

It’s a bit of a crapshoot to win it, and all you can do is keep knocking on the door until it happens. I hope it somehow doesn’t obviously.

I hope you beat us by 50 to force a coaching change and maybe 6th time is the charm for us.

Reactions: Lilsweet
Everyone knows we have a game tonight, right? I'll withhold predictions on future games until I see how they respond tonight.

You may be right, I give PU plenty of credit, but I buy in totally that Edey catches breaks from B10 officials and also that while you played a great schedule and beat lots of good teams, you returned so much that you were already at a high level and I think some of the other teams will improve more. Yes, the odds should be in your favor, but the reality is, that doesn't matter unless your players decide to change it. I think you have a great shot at a F4 and NC this year, but I still see nothing special other than a hard-nosed team playing in a weak conference, once you get past Edey.
Well it’s certainly hard to officiate a 7’4 player of the year - I will give you that. I disagree that Purdue hasn’t improved a ton - we just beat a top ten team on the road without making many 3s - first time we’ve beaten a top ten road team since 2010. I think your comment about a hard nosed team is exactly right - disgusted about last year and playing with a chip every game. I really think Jones was a game changer - tough defender who isn’t afraid to shoot. You are right the tourney is a crapshoot but to say nothing special is just not true in my opinion. This is the best team Purdue may have ever had - we shall see!

Reactions: TheCainer
Well it’s certainly hard to officiate a 7’4 player of the year - I will give you that. I disagree that Purdue hasn’t improved a ton - we just beat a top ten team on the road without making many 3s - first time we’ve beaten a top ten road team since 2010. I think your comment about a hard nosed team is exactly right - disgusted about last year and playing with a chip every game. I really think Jones was a game changer - tough defender who isn’t afraid to shoot. You are right the tourney is a crapshoot but to say nothing special is just not true in my opinion. This is the best team Purdue may have ever had - we shall see!
where do you see yourself with this roster and no Edey?

And, yes, I realize losing your best player would be hard on any team. I think you'd still be flirting with top 25, but he is what changes games.

And, I think you'll be good next year, because it's what Painter does, but not top 10. It is funny to me that TKR supposedly didn't want to come to IU because he didn't want to play in the post like TJD and Painter was going to use him on the perimeter.

Painter honestly coaches to his strengths - I know he’s seen as a big man offense but he’s really not. Thing is he developed Edey when nobody wanted him and i don’t hear much credit out there for that. Smith, Loyer, Catchings, maybe Glenn’s kid, Colvin/Heide, and TKR down low will still be a super talented team. I think Painter has upped his recruiting to still fit the system but with more talent

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT