ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue has almost a week off to prepare/rest up for IU

I don't think the ceiling is as low as you feel this year.

January was a brutal schedule. We traveled the most miles of any B1G team; we had the most # of overall games of any B1G team, and we had the most away games of any B1G team that month. We came out of it with only one loss in which the opposing team shot over 60% from 3PG on high volume. Tip their hat to them.

I couldn't be happier that we have rolled into February against the nation's #1 SOS and are sitting with only two losses and no injuries. Our travel will be minimal this month as we're loaded with home games, and many rest days are coming our way. There aren't many speed bumps between now and March, and then we get to warm back up for the final stretch with MSU, @Illinois, and Wisconsin.

This idea about "B1G officials" is more of a talking point than it should be, IMO. We didn't have B1G officials in our non-conference and did just fine against top-level teams. Last year, it was more that we were relying on two freshmen, inexperienced guards who ran into the freshman wall, and the physicality of the B1G beat them down.

That physicality hasn't bothered them as much this year. Not because it hasn't been there but because they are older and ready for it.

Now, will they get beaten? We'll see. Most #1 seeds never make the Final Four, but Purdue has been a 1-seed enough now that the odds/percentages need to play in its favor. If it doesn't, that will at least give most of you something to cheer about this year.

Don't kid yourself...the choke factor is still going to be big. If at any time things start to go south, the old demons will reappear.

Don't kid yourself...the choke factor is still going to be big. If at any time things start to go south, the old demons will reappear.
Not with Jones - he’s never seen a shot he didn’t like - Smith and Loyer were Freshman and i don’t care how talented you are that’s tough

Well it’s certainly hard to officiate a 7’4 player of the year - I will give you that. I disagree that Purdue hasn’t improved a ton - we just beat a top ten team on the road without making many 3s - first time we’ve beaten a top ten road team since 2010. I think your comment about a hard nosed team is exactly right - disgusted about last year and playing with a chip every game. I really think Jones was a game changer - tough defender who isn’t afraid to shoot. You are right the tourney is a crapshoot but to say nothing special is just not true in my opinion. This is the best team Purdue may have ever had - we shall see!
The '69 team with Mount, Keller, and Herm Gilliam, and the '94 team with Glenn Robinson, C. Martin, and P. Roberts were both better, you moron.

Smith is exactly
The '69 team with Mount, Keller, and Herm Gilliam, and the '94 team with Glenn Robinson, C. Martin, and P. Roberts were both better, you moron.
We shall see you moron and I was a student when Glenn was there and watched him drop 50 plus on Illinois I believe

You aren’t wrong. I’ve been adamant that Colvin should be playing more because right now Morton is our only guard off the bench. If things go south for the starting guards you think Morton is the answer? No way.

where do you see yourself with this roster and no Edey?

And, yes, I realize losing your best player would be hard on any team. I think you'd still be flirting with top 25, but he is what changes games.

And, I think you'll be good next year, because it's what Painter does, but not top 10. It is funny to me that TKR supposedly didn't want to come to IU because he didn't want to play in the post like TJD and Painter was going to use him on the perimeter.
Without Edey this team is still top 25. Next year top 10 highly unlikely. All depends on incoming freshman contributions. I don’t get the TKR/Painter thing either. Was he thinner and faster in high school thus more mobile? Looking at him now there’s no way he plays perimeter.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Now, will they get beaten? We'll see. Most #1 seeds never make the Final Four, but Purdue has been a 1-seed enough now that the odds/percentages need to play in its favor. If it doesn't, that will at least give most of you something to cheer about this year.
What is this nonsense you're spouting about "Most #1 seeds never make the final four?"

#1 seeds make the final 4 a lot. 40% of the time, in fact. Much more often than #2 seeds, who only make the final 4 about 21% of the time.

Are you already looking for an excuse if PU doesn't make the final four yet again? LOL

I have another question for you. What percentage of #1 seeds lose to #16 seeds? That's what you should be worried about...

Painter honestly coaches to his strengths - I know he’s seen as a big man offense but he’s really not. Thing is he developed Edey when nobody wanted him and i don’t hear much credit out there for that. Smith, Loyer, Catchings, maybe Glenn’s kid, Colvin/Heide, and TKR down low will still be a super talented team. I think Painter has upped his recruiting to still fit the system but with more talent
Yeah, so you think you'd be struggling to be in the top 25 without Edey too! Ha.

I give Painter credit, but I do honestly give Edey more credit. I think it's obvious how hard he's worked and I think he's pushed himself and put in a ton of work, but you definitely have a staff that identifies "fit" well and values good, hard-nosed players. I've always liked watching PU until Edey and I respect how hard he's worked and how good a player he is, but it perverts the game. I've had to guard lots of bigger guys in the post and it's really hard (impossible?) if you can't get fouls called on them when they are that big, strong and aggressive. I'd love for a ref to try and guard him for 2 minutes and suddenly, you'd see fouls called on him.

Reactions: BigMobe
Without Edey this team is still top 25. Next year top 10 highly unlikely. All depends on incoming freshman contributions. I don’t get the TKR/Painter thing either. Was he thinner and faster in high school thus more mobile? Looking at him now there’s no way he plays perimeter.
I honestly don't know. I don't watch HS recruits, but the thinking was that he'd play more on the perimeter since he and Furst were largely viewed to be similar players. he has thickened up and put on some weight, but that was just the talk and comments he made. I heard whoever the PU guy that comes on Coyle's show say he loved PU right off and never seriously considered IU, but that wasn't how it appeared or what was being said at the time.

I think PU might be top 25 this particular year, because they might've stacked wins once they got into the conference, but I also think you'd have lost at least 3 more in the precon and that would've dropped you out.

I honestly don't know. I don't watch HS recruits, but the thinking was that he'd play more on the perimeter since he and Furst were largely viewed to be similar players. he has thickened up and put on some weight, but that was just the talk and comments he made. I heard whoever the PU guy that comes on Coyle's show say he loved PU right off and never seriously considered IU, but that wasn't how it appeared or what was being said at the time.

I think PU might be top 25 this particular year, because they might've stacked wins once they got into the conference, but I also think you'd have lost at least 3 more in the precon and that would've dropped you out.
Good point about the noncon. That schedule was absolutely brutal and Edey made all the difference. He also makes Smith look better than what would be expected.

BTW need to get IU competitive again. Too many lopsided games lately. That’s our bad last year. Wish Woody would get players who understand the rivalry like us fans!

Yeah, so you think you'd be struggling to be in the top 25 without Edey too! Ha.

I give Painter credit, but I do honestly give Edey more credit. I think it's obvious how hard he's worked and I think he's pushed himself and put in a ton of work, but you definitely have a staff that identifies "fit" well and values good, hard-nosed players. I've always liked watching PU until Edey and I respect how hard he's worked and how good a player he is, but it perverts the game. I've had to guard lots of bigger guys in the post and it's really hard (impossible?) if you can't get fouls called on them when they are that big, strong and aggressive. I'd love for a ref to try and guard him for 2 minutes and suddenly, you'd see fouls called on him.
Great post

Good luck to Edey. He could go #1 I don’t care post-college. Yea I know that might help with recruiting but whatever. I will just be glad he’s out of college.

Out of curiosity, I looked at about 10 of the latest mock drafts. Edey comes up in about 8 of them late in the first round now (usually in the 25 to 29 range).
He's getting drafted and in the first round. I think he's even getting into the tail end of the lottery in some projections, but someone will take him. How long can you watch him dominate in college and think that guy can't help a team in the league?

Round Two. IU has to do something to slow down Purdue's inside game, does IU come out in a zone and force Purdue to shoot the 3ptr?
IU could have a week off and they could play 5 straight games Monday through Friday and would still whip our ass on Saturday.

What is this nonsense you're spouting about "Most #1 seeds never make the final four?"

#1 seeds make the final 4 a lot. 40% of the time, in fact. Much more often than #2 seeds, who only make the final 4 about 21% of the time.

Are you already looking for an excuse if PU doesn't make the final four yet again? LOL

I have another question for you. What percentage of #1 seeds lose to #16 seeds? That's what you should be worried about...

Let me help you with some math, Matt.

First, I didn't say anything about 1-seeds in comparison to other seeds. I said something strictly about 1-seeds.

So, if 40% of the time one seeds make the Final Four, how many don't make the Final Four?

Is it more or less than 40%?

Therein lies your answer to why I said, "Most #1 seeds never make the final four". Nothing more to it than that. A simple statement of fact.

Let me help you with some math, Matt.

First, I didn't say anything about 1-seeds in comparison to other seeds. I said something strictly about 1-seeds.

So, if 40% of the time one seeds make the Final Four, how many don't make the Final Four?

Is it more or less than 40%?

Therein lies your answer to why I said, "Most #1 seeds never make the final four". Nothing more to it than that. A simple statement of fact.
since you grooved a fastball right down the center: Let me take a swing: it's way, WAY past time for Purdue to live up to their regular season hype and actually do something in the tournament as a 1 seed. So, if you were a 1 seed 2 years in a row and the probability is 40% you'd make a F4 in any given year, over 2 years that means you should make a F4 in one of them, right? Anything less than a Final 4 is a disappointment this year. That is a lot of pressure!

Good point about the noncon. That schedule was absolutely brutal and Edey made all the difference. He also makes Smith look better than what would be expected.

BTW need to get IU competitive again. Too many lopsided games lately. That’s our bad last year. Wish Woody would get players who understand the rivalry like us fans!
You fall into the most watch basketball but very few understand basketball category. Smith makes Edey better way more than Edey making Smith better (And it is not even close). If Purdue had to play a game without Smith or Edey, I am picking Smith to be on the floor 100% of the time. Smith puts himself in position to make plays for others like very very few can. He is a big reason why Edey draws so many fouls because he gets him the ball where defenders are out of position and ultimately fouls him, that happens multiple times a night. He's an ELITE PG and you're in complete denial or simply don't understand basketball if you do not agree.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Purdue will likely thump IU on Saturday. If IU plays the entire game like they finished against OSU, it could be a decent game. But overall, I think they're just too consistently good this year for us to end up actually beating them.

As for their remaining season...they'll win the B10 outright...probably win the B10 tourney...and I don't see a FDU type debacle out of this team. Their draw will be important though, because they do still have issues against teams with multiple good, scoring guards. And there are probably a lot of 8/9 seed type teams that have multiple good guards, with enough athleticism to keep up with everything else.

Jones is a different element versus the kid from Utah last year. And Smith and Loyer, while still a potential liability defensively against some teams, are still a year older and better all around.

I hate them...I'd love nothing more than them having another epic loss...but I have to admit this team does have a different look and feel to it. And if, in the end, Purdue going to a Final Four or even winning it all wakes our decision makers up, to finally make good decisions regarding IU bball...then so be it.

You fall into the most watch basketball but very few understand basketball category. Smith makes Edey better way more than Edey making Smith better (And it is not even close). If Purdue had to play a game without Smith or Edey, I am picking Smith to be on the floor 100% of the time. Smith puts himself in position to make plays for others like very very few can. He is a big reason why Edey draws so many fouls because he gets him the ball where defenders are out of position and ultimately fouls him, that happens multiple times a night. He's an ELITE PG and you're in complete denial or simply don't understand basketball if you do not agree.
Smith is good, but the other guy is 100% correct. Hell, I could get 6 apg tossing it to Edey, and I'm not kidding. Smith has worked and improved and was already very good, but he's only elite because of Edey imo. After that, he's just really good, which is still, well, good!

Reactions: Woodsa
Purdue will likely thump IU on Saturday. If IU plays the entire game like they finished against OSU, it could be a decent game. But overall, I think they're just too consistently good this year for us to end up actually beating them.

As for their remaining season...they'll win the B10 outright...probably win the B10 tourney...and I don't see a FDU type debacle out of this team. Their draw will be important though, because they do still have issues against teams with multiple good, scoring guards. And there are probably a lot of 8/9 seed type teams that have multiple good guards, with enough athleticism to keep up with everything else.

Jones is a different element versus the kid from Utah last year. And Smith and Loyer, while still a potential liability defensively against some teams, are still a year older and better all around.

I hate them...I'd love nothing more than them having another epic loss...but I have to admit this team does have a different look and feel to it. And if, in the end, Purdue going to a Final Four or even winning it all wakes our decision makers up, to finally make good decisions regarding IU bball...then so be it.
Yep, that's where I think the biggest difference lies: Purdue plays hard almost all the time. For us it's still a novelty.

I do have more hope than you for an upset in the tourney. I still say someone will get Edey in foul trouble and if he's not on the floor, I don't think PU is good enough to beat other good teams, including many they beat early in the year. I don't think it's likely to happen the first weekend, but by the 2nd round they should be playing some good well-rounded teams, and if one of those gets Edey in foul trouble, I think PU will be in trouble.

Smith is good, but the other guy is 100% correct. Hell, I could get 6 apg tossing it to Edey, and I'm not kidding. Smith has worked and improved and was already very good, but he's only elite because of Edey imo. After that, he's just really good, which is still, well, good!
I think this very likely "could" be true.

But I also have thoughts when I'm watching them, that Edey actually gets in his way at times.

I talk a lot about players having "Gravity" to their games. And Edey probably has the most gravity right now of anyone in college bball...he pulls entire opposing defenses a step or two closer to him for long stretches of possessions. So obviously Smith will have to adjust when Edey's gone, to having teams focus more squarely on HIM. But I actually think its possible that will play in to Smith's strengths by opening up driving and passing lanes more. Right now, he's got quite a lot of time on many of his shot attempts, but when he attacks the paint, its pretty congested because of Edey. Shooting isn't Smith's primary strength...driving, distributing, scoring near the rim, rebounding from his PG position...those are his biggest strengths. And I wonder if he won't have more room to do many of those things without Edey parked in the lane.

I doubt he has the same stats next year as he does this year...but I bet he thrives without Edey. He's A LOT better basketball player than most on this board have ever given him credit for.

Reactions: Boilerball3
Yep, that's where I think the biggest difference lies: Purdue plays hard almost all the time. For us it's still a novelty.

I do have more hope than you for an upset in the tourney. I still say someone will get Edey in foul trouble and if he's not on the floor, I don't think PU is good enough to beat other good teams, including many they beat early in the year. I don't think it's likely to happen the first weekend, but by the 2nd round they should be playing some good well-rounded teams, and if one of those gets Edey in foul trouble, I think PU will be in trouble.
Oh I think they're very vulnerable in the round of 32 and beyond...but I think the type of team will play a big role in that. Purdue is so well rounded, and solid, its going to take a team that has multiple high volume shooter/scorer perimeter players, with some athletic length...to be able to upset them. Obviously Sweet 16 on, anyone could beat them. Texas would be an 8/9 seed level team that I wouldn't want to see in my region on Selection Sunday, if I were Purdue fans...as an example.

Reactions: kkott

But I also have thoughts when I'm watching them, that Edey actually gets in his way at times.

I talk a lot about players having "Gravity" to their games. And Edey probably has the most gravity right now of anyone in college bball...he pulls entire opposing defenses a step or two closer to him for long stretches of possessions. So obviously Smith will have to adjust when Edey's gone, to having teams focus more squarely on HIM. But I actually think its possible that will play in to Smith's strengths by opening up driving and passing lanes more. Right now, he's got quite a lot of time on many of his shot attempts, but when he attacks the paint, its pretty congested because of Edey. Shooting isn't Smith's primary strength...driving, distributing, scoring near the rim, rebounding from his PG position...those are his biggest strengths. And I wonder if he won't have more room to do many of those things without Edey parked in the lane.

I doubt he has the same stats next year as he does this year...but I bet he thrives without Edey. He's A LOT better basketball player than most on this board have ever given him credit for.
This!

He'll score more naturally without Edey. (And I think he is a very good shooter, he rarely misses his pull up early in the game and is still a 40+% three point shooter) but he misses short a lot later in the games. I see about the same from boards and assists. I'm going to say somewhere around 15ppg 6 boards 6 assists next year.

Won't surprise me at all if he scores as much or more next year out of necessity and because he's good. But his shooting % across the board (not FTs... for the PU dolts just waiting to jump on something) will drop, as will his apg. Yes, Edey congests the lane, yes Braden's very good at probing a D and putting pressure on it, and yes, he benefits immensely from Edey. Think about what you just said: Edey pulls every defender a step or 2 closer to the paint. How many steps do you think Braden needs? He's going to have a lot fewer next year.

Won't surprise me at all if he scores as much or more next year out of necessity and because he's good. But his shooting % across the board (not FTs... for the PU dolts just waiting to jump on something) will drop, as will his apg. Yes, Edey congests the lane, yes Braden's very good at probing a D and putting pressure on it, and yes, he benefits immensely from Edey. Think about what you just said: Edey pulls every defender a step or 2 closer to the paint. How many steps do you think Braden needs? He's going to have a lot fewer next year.
Stats will almost certainly drop...even scoring probably. But probably not a ton, and I think having a more open paint/lane area could help him in a lot of ways. He's a good shooter, but that IS NOT his primary strength. So right now, he's making shots because he has more room, because of Edey. But for a player like Smith, he isn't likely going to be bothered when players are closer to him when it applies to everything else in his game. In many ways it'll actually make it easier for him to drive, the passing lanes for all the other players will be wider...I'm guessing Painter runs a much more wide open offense without Edey, so there won't be as much big man help near the rim when he gets there...

Its going to look different...but anyone expecting Smith to not be one of the better overall players in the conference, let alone better all around PGs, because Edey is leaving...well I don't think they're going to be right.

IU is way too up and down to make this a game most likely. We can beat some crappy teams like Michigan and Ohio State but at Purdue I just do not see it. You are not going to be able to come back from 18 down vs a team like Purdue.

IU is way too up and down to make this a game most likely. We can beat some crappy teams like Michigan and Ohio State but at Purdue I just do not see it. You are not going to be able to come back from 18 down vs a team like Purdue.
Definitely can't get down that much against them. Best chance to actually beat them would be to hang around in a 5-8 point type game most of the game, and then "surprise" them with a late run to take the lead near the end.

B10 officials won't allow Edey to get in to foul trouble, so that eliminates our actual "best chance".

Definitely can't get down that much against them. Best chance to actually beat them would be to hang around in a 5-8 point type game most of the game, and then "surprise" them with a late run to take the lead near the end.

B10 officials won't allow Edey to get in to foul trouble, so that eliminates our actual "best chance".
I would say our chanc are very low and if ware is out forget it.

I would say our chanc are very low and if ware is out forget it.
Oh I'd use the old "Chances are slim and none...and slim is on his way out"... When the game is happening, I'm sure I'll get wrapped up in winning and losing. But a few days out, I really just want it to be more competitive.

It’s gonna be a massacre guys. Even when we suck IU is a huge game for them, we are the big program in the state no matter what PU does, and that annoys the boilees. They will be up for it and we are gonna crumble.

And for some context on program size; UK is bigger than IU in every way even if they were bad. It’s not a big deal, programs are different sizes.

What are fans betting on the over/under on how many foul shots the PUkes shoot. I'm also guessing that Ware and Malik will be in foul trouble early in the first half, where Woodson is going to have to decide if they play with two fouls before halftime. It will be ugly, as they see a chance to pound IU. IU is their most important game of the year, even more important than their NCAA Tourney games. LOL

IU will be competitive and hang with Purdue right up to tip off. Just kidding.

Purdue will take it inside consistently and often until IU stops it with double teams. That is when the outside game will kick in. If Purdue continues to shoot 40% from 3pt, and gets the rebound on a miss, then the task becomes much more challenging for IU

What does that have to do with making the league? You get drafted high enough, you make way more. Of course, NIL money beats not getting

It’s gonna be a massacre guys. Even when we suck IU is a huge game for them, we are the big program in the state no matter what PU does, and that annoys the boilees. They will be up for it and we are gonna crumble.

And for some context on program size; UK is bigger than IU in every way even if they were bad. It’s not a big deal, programs are different sizes.
It’s a rivalry game - it’s always big for both programs so don’t kid yourself. As for the big program in the State you are lucky ND is down this year because both Butler and Indiana State are ahead of you right now!

Have you watched Purdue play more than one game?

Purdue is better with Smith on the floor with Edey on the bench than Edey on the floor with Smith on the bench.

Just need to call it as it is. Smith is an Elite PG nationally regardless of what people say. The stats speak for themselves and I’m not talking about a single category.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT