ADVERTISEMENT

Pro-life Democrats alive and well

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I take a much rosier view of this than the authors of the piece would. While Republicans could almost universally be counted on to support stricter abortion laws in most states, Democrats could not be counted on to oppose them. In most states, notable chunks of Democrats supported these laws, even as the national party runs quickly in the other direction.

I think this is a good sign for the health of the Democratic party moving forward.

Reactions: Morrison
I take a much rosier view of this than the authors of the piece would. While Republicans could almost universally be counted on to support stricter abortion laws in most states, Democrats could not be counted on to oppose them. In most states, notable chunks of Democrats supported these laws, even as the national party runs quickly in the other direction.

I think this is a good sign for the health of the Democratic party moving forward.

Pro-life, or anti-abortion? There's a difference you know.

The marketing says "pro-life", but the reality is anti-abortion . . . .

Pols not voting lockstep with their party is a positive step toward reaching consensus.

Heck, if this train of thinking continues Pols might treat each other with respect and start listening instead of attacking each other.

By consensus, I mean a majority of citizens from both parties are pleased by laws passed.

You and Mark gotta do what you gotta do. All I can say is that I was as nice about disagreeing as I could be. If that's too much for you . . . .
I think he was more worried that someone like me would jump in and be argumentative with you about that point and blow up the thread. I intend to do neither.

100 Democrats is a step in the right direction. It took 50 years to get the acceptance of abortion to where it is now, it will take time for that to be walked back to whatever degree.

That is impossible, and not a worthy goal.
Noodle, granted pols never seem to agree so laws won't be passed, but according to this polling there are many areas of agreement among citizens.

This report in part states...

Defying conventional wisdom about a polarized electorate, a report based on in-depth surveys of more than 80,000 Americans shows that majorities from both parties agree on nearly 150 key policy positions across more than a dozen top policy areas. The research suggests that Americans are eager for their elected representatives to cross party lines to start tackling the nation’s toughest problems.

Noodle, granted pols never seem to agree so laws won't be passed, but according to this polling there are many areas of agreement among citizens.

This report in part states...

Defying conventional wisdom about a polarized electorate, a report based on in-depth surveys of more than 80,000 Americans shows that majorities from both parties agree on nearly 150 key policy positions across more than a dozen top policy areas. The research suggests that Americans are eager for their elected representatives to cross party lines to start tackling the nation’s toughest problems.
I agree there are a lot of issues like these on which a majority of voters on both sides are in agreement (at least in principle). However, there are other issues on which that will not be the case. Still, the report you linked to is very encouraging - and surprising for some areas (esp. immigration).

Reactions: hoot1
I agree there are a lot of issues like these on which a majority of voters on both sides are in agreement (at least in principle). However, there are other issues on which that will not be the case. Still, the report you linked to is very encouraging - and surprising for some areas (esp. immigration).
Pols, IMO, like to keep some issues boiling as they think the issues along with their polished memorized rhetoric on the issue serve their reelection efforts. Getting cheers for a standard line at a rally from the hardcore supporters spurs them on.

Solving a problem such as immigration takes one of their talking points off the table.

Easier to talk about a problem than solve it.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
It was a joke, Sope. Of course we can agree to disagree and still be friends. I'm fully committed to that paradigm in all aspects of life.
Damn it goat , I looked up paradigm and I still don’t understand what it means! Speak redneck please.

Damn it goat , I looked up paradigm and I still don’t understand what it means! Speak redneck please.
Okay. Translation:

"Goldarnit, Sope, I was just joshin'. 'Course we can see things a lil diff'rent and still be pals. That's the road I try to tread in my life in all ways, anyways."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT