ADVERTISEMENT

POTUS says "open the economy back up on Easter"...

Even that seems a hope and a prayer right now.

Only way I see this getting under control is at least another month of pretty heavy lockdown. And it's very likely what we are going to see occur.
I’m to the point I want it to be very tough for awhile so we can get it over. On my neighborhood walk today everyone was crossing to other side, until I came across one group of probably 10 people all standing close and talking then hugging and handshaking as they were leaving. I may have yelled at them in passing.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Why are the politicians front and center anyway. Trump, Cuomo, the KY Governor, others, are doing daily press conferences. Why not just release a statement and let the experts talk? I have no complaints with Holcomb, but I would much rather hear directly from the state medical experts. I obviously have complaints with Trump, but even if it were President Pete I would prefer Fauci and the Surgeon General.

And speaking of state governor's, it is amazing that the number of ventilators and ICU beds in Indiana is a closely guarded state secret. Honestly, it seems the way to create a panic is to not answer that question. So I guess I have one complaint on Holcomb, but I suspect it is someone else telling him not to answer so my real complaint is that person.
I complain about Holcomb being spineless either waY.

Since all we're doing here is grasping at anecdotal straws, I'll throw out that what I'm seeing in Bloomington right now is evidence that people are taking this seriously. It's a ghost town.
It is every time students leave...

I’m to the point I want it to be very tough for awhile so we can get it over. On my neighborhood walk today everyone was crossing to other side, until I came across one group of probably 10 people all standing close and talking then hugging and handshaking as they were leaving. I may have yelled at them in passing.
Is Van's church in your neighborhood?

A few days ago a pool party self-spawned in our condo complex (Florida). Next day, group email talking about yesterday's fiasco and a four-Person limit. Today, pool closed. Lol

Further to something I mentioned before:

When listening to the guy on NPR this morning relate what he was being told by some economists, he mentioned something interesting. They told him that research into the 1918 flu pandemic showed that, not only did cities with aggressive responses fare better in terms of health results, they actually fared better economically, as well. That is, once the pandemic ended, the cities that had shut down entirely got back to business, while the cities that had been decimated by the disease suffered bad economic outcomes for some time after the pandemic.

Something to consider when discussing the economic impact of trying to save lives.

Yeah, saw that in the paper. Thought about posting about it with the thread title "Dumbasses or Douchebags?"

Not sure what their sanction should be. The least I think they should be subject to is an enforced 14 day quarantine. With GPS ankle bracelets. At their expense.

The email I saw last night to employees was no matter how much you think you have to be on campus, you do not and do not go in.

Reactions: hoosboot
Our work is remote until at least May 1. Wife's as well. Wouldn't be surprised if it's beyond that.

It will bend the curve temporarily. Others who can't (work at home) but are infected will still be out there when the home workers return.

Last edited:
Further to something I mentioned before:

When listening to the guy on NPR this morning relate what he was being told by some economists, he mentioned something interesting. They told him that research into the 1918 flu pandemic showed that, not only did cities with aggressive responses fare better in terms of health results, they actually fared better economically, as well. That is, once the pandemic ended, the cities that had shut down entirely got back to business, while the cities that had been decimated by the disease suffered bad economic outcomes for some time after the pandemic.

Something to consider when discussing the economic impact of trying to save lives.
I read what I thought was a really good piece from bloomberg
Titled: "The Lives-or-Dollars Debate is a waste of time"

Except for the 30 students busted at a party yesterday. Who knew quarantine included a 30 person party?
It wasn’t at a frat, was it? I’m appalled they are letting some of them stay open. I have several seniors that are coming back this week who live in houses. I’m really surprised their parent are letting them do this, although some are coming from NYC, so they may be smart. They have all been quarantined.

It wasn’t at a frat, was it? I’m appalled they are letting some of them stay open. I have several seniors that are coming back this week who live in houses. I’m really surprised their parent are letting them do this, although some are coming from NYC, so they may be smart. They have all been quarantined.

I do not think the article said where.

They probably would have said if it was a frat but probably not if it was just a house party. It was really quiet last week but I’m afraid more and more, especially seniors who have house leases until August , are going to be coming back in the next few weeks. Hope they can stay in their small groups, but I’m doubtful.

Article just says "off campus":

Indiana University officials are reminding students to practice social distancing after learning of a recent party that took place off campus.

Chuck Carney, IU spokesman, said police broke up a party Wednesday night with about 30 people in attendance, some of whom were IU students.

“You’ve got to use common sense and work for the common good in this circumstance,” he said.

The event took place during Gov. Eric Holcomb’s order to stay at home to limit the spread of COVID-19. The U.S. now leads the world in confirmed cases of the disease, with more than 1,000 deaths in this country attributed to it.​

I have several seniors that are coming back this week who live in houses. I’m really surprised their parent are letting them do this, although some are coming from NYC, so they may be smart. They have all been quarantined.
There's our infection vector.

There's our infection vector.

Our rate is growing rapidly. A couple days ago we had fewer than Columbus. Today we are at 22 and Columbus is around 10.

I may switch out my idea of helping local restaurants to getting Bob Evans. No possible way anyone getting Bob Evans carryout went on spring break.

The email I saw last night to employees was no matter how much you think you have to be on campus, you do not and do not go in.
LOL. No matter how important you think you are, eh?

Being ordinary and nothing special is my full time job anymore.

Why are the politicians front and center anyway. Trump, Cuomo, the KY Governor, others, are doing daily press conferences. Why not just release a statement and let the experts talk? I have no complaints with Holcomb, but I would much rather hear directly from the state medical experts. I obviously have complaints with Trump, but even if it were President Pete I would prefer Fauci and the Surgeon General.

And speaking of state governor's, it is amazing that the number of ventilators and ICU beds in Indiana is a closely guarded state secret. Honestly, it seems the way to create a panic is to not answer that question. So I guess I have one complaint on Holcomb, but I suspect it is someone else telling him not to answer so my real complaint is that person.

These conferences are trumps political rallies
Yep. The attached was sent to me by my ER dr friend. Mid April we will see north of 2,000 deaths a day. Yikes.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

It appears that your friend may have been quite wrong on that one. Deaths have gone from 1000 to 2000 in two days.

I read a story that colleges and the NFL are making plans in case they need an abbreviated or no season. There really is nothing good to go on to determine a time frame.

At some point universities are going to have to realize that they can’t be playing multi-million dollar salaries to coaches when they are not going to field a team. The large football staff can’t coach or recruit. Indiana now has a strength coach that has been paid more than $700,000 to tell players to lift weights in the garage. I have no idea what baseball softball and golf coaches do right now. I wonder what the language in the contract says about force majeure.

I have several seniors that are coming back this week who live in houses. I’m really surprised their parent are letting them do this, although some are coming from NYC, so they may be smart. They have all been quarantined.
The more I think about this the more it really pisses me off. Don't these entitled princesses think the rules apply to them? Or is that just for the little people?

I'll grant you things are moving fast. Perhaps they will have a change of heart and abide by the CDC's travel advisory:

CDC Calls on NY, NJ, and Connecticut Residents to “Refrain” From Nonessential Travel

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...in-nonessential-travel.html?via=recirc_recent

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a rare domestic travel advisory in which it calls on residents of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut “to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for 14 days effective immediately.” The governors of the three states had already called on residents to stay home but the advisory came shortly after President Donald Trump said he was backing off his earlier threat to issue an “enforceable” quarantine on the three states but said he would ask the CDC to issue “a strong Travel Advisory.”​

As irresponsible as this impromptu party may have been, look at what the president of United States wanted to do. He wanted to have a national house party on April 12

I see the firm optimism and positivity is holding strong. :rolleyes:
My optimism is not based on any faith in the public. It's based on my belief that the pressure the scientific community is under to produce solutions is great enough to spur those solutions in time to outpace human stupidity.

My optimism is not based on any faith in the public. It's based on my belief that the pressure the scientific community is under to produce solutions is great enough to spur those solutions in time to outpace human stupidity.

I don't understand all of it, but even if the leading candidates are effective it may depend upon when in the course of the disease they are given. So it sounds like there's some tempering of initial expectations. There may still be much to learn. But we're all hoping for some luck about now.

Got it. So, your positivity and optimism doesn't extend to the rest of your life. That's what I said I was hoping for and you liked the post, so I mistakenly thought you had agreed. Good luck!

Got it. So, your positivity and optimism doesn't extend to the rest of your life. That's what I said I was hoping for and you liked the post, so I mistakenly thought you had agreed. Good luck!
A friend once advised: "Trust God, but lock your car."

The more I think about this the more it really pisses me off. Don't these entitled princesses think the rules apply to them? Or is that just for the little people?

I'll grant you things are moving fast. Perhaps they will have a change of heart and abide by the CDC's travel advisory:

CDC Calls on NY, NJ, and Connecticut Residents to “Refrain” From Nonessential Travel

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...in-nonessential-travel.html?via=recirc_recent

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a rare domestic travel advisory in which it calls on residents of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut “to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for 14 days effective immediately.” The governors of the three states had already called on residents to stay home but the advisory came shortly after President Donald Trump said he was backing off his earlier threat to issue an “enforceable” quarantine on the three states but said he would ask the CDC to issue “a strong Travel Advisory.”​
I’ve been hoping they’d do that. I’m trying to put myself in their place and I know how devastated I’d be to lose my senior year with lots of friends from all over the country. I’m hoping they will eventually make the right decision and stay home. Spent so much time talking to them the week before spring break. On Monday they were adamant they were going, by Friday no one went. Hoping this will be the same. No way I would let my child go .

Reactions: UncleMark
My guess it that the administration has abandoned the notion of "restarting" the economy by Easter, or even in the next month with the projections of significant increases in cases and deaths over the next 3 weeks, plus a significant trail after the projected peak.
There will be pressure from numerous constituencies to "restart" as soon as possible, and they will no doubt be at odds with many in the health care and epidemiological fields. And anything less than "as soon as possible" will carry political costs. I'm not confident that this administration will make the prudent, courageous choice.

There will be pressure from numerous constituencies to "restart" as soon as possible, and they will no doubt be at odds with many in the health care and epidemiological fields. And anything less than "as soon as possible" will carry political costs. I'm not confident that this administration will make the prudent, courageous choice.
The administration might view a "courageous" choice to be different from a prudent choice.

Stolen from Bulk in AOTF:

weekend-morning-awesomeness-38-photos-32-1.jpg

Trump extends guidelines thru April 30 today. So a whole 'nother month of 'corn teens'. Yay!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT