ADVERTISEMENT

POTUS says "open the economy back up on Easter"...

I hope your sister is ok. The medical community could obviously use her.

Nothing you said disagrees with my statement that NONE of NY's deaths have been in the 18-44 age range. I'm sure there will be some, based on principles of statistics, but the large majority of people in that age range are not required to be hospitalized. To your point, many are asymptomatic or have such mild symptoms they wouldn't have thought to get tested.

That's why we were talking about the concept of needing to particularly protect those susceptible to corona vs. those less so.

About my sister, thank you.

I guess I brought her up was because if she does have it, when did she get it and who did she get it from? Who did she pass it to if she does have it. That's what she is worried about and things she isn't sure about.

Los Angeles just had a teenager die today. Details are still coming out so not sure if other health issues, but the mayor of LA just kept saying that this virus will get you if you're young or old.

This does not discriminate on age.

They might not need to go to the hospital or are dying, but they are sick and will be home for a minimum or two weeks regardless.

My 35 year old sister, who is in perfect health and is a nurse, has had a 101 degree fever, has the dry cough and says her lungs feel like they are caving in, is waiting for her test results to come back after being tested on Monday for the virus. It will take 5-6 days she says to get the results back. If she's positive, she'll have to be in quarantine even after she feels better.

How many people did she come in contact before she was showing symptoms? She feels pretty strongly she got this at the hospital as she only worked, got off her shift, worked the coronavirus hotline and went home. Just because someone young abd arent showing symptoms early on doesn't mean they aren't carrying the virus.
I hope your sister gets better quickly and with no lingering effects. She's a courageous person . . . .

Dr. Fauci has disappeared from the podium.

Probably for doing this interview:

Fauci says he would never use the term ‘China virus’ as he reveals frustrations working with Trump White House
Dr Anthony Fauci, the US’s leading diseases expert, has rebuked Trump’s claims on coronavirus. Now, he has described what it’s like inside the coronavirus taskforce in detail
dr-fauci-and-trump.jpg

According to the immunologist, the Trump administration needed things to be repeated four times before action was taken. He said: “When you’re dealing with the White House, sometimes you have to say things 1,2,3,4 times, and then it happens. So I’m going to keep pushing.”

The leading doctor told the New York Times in an interview published on Saturday that he was performing a balancing act with the Trump administration. He said: “I had been walking a fine line; I’ve been telling the president things he doesn’t want to hear. I have publicly had to say something different with what he states”.

Famous last words? One push too far? We can start calling it the
McMasters Conundrum. The One Page summary sheet may not be working anymore.

Reactions: Bill4411
Coronavirus 'may have infected half of UK population', researchers say
The University of Oxford's Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group found that far more people in the UK could have contracted coronavirus than previously thought

Research by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group suggests coronavirus was spreading in the UK by mid-January. It was transmitted between people for more than a month before the first official cases were recorded.

However, if the Oxford research is correct, up to 50 per cent of the population could have caught the disease, meaning the lockdown could be lifted earlier than expected.

About my sister, thank you.

I guess I brought her up was because if she does have it, when did she get it and who did she get it from? Who did she pass it to if she does have it. That's what she is worried about and things she isn't sure about.

Los Angeles just had a teenager die today. Details are still coming out so not sure if other health issues, but the mayor of LA just kept saying that this virus will get you if you're young or old.

This does not discriminate on age.

Again, I don't disagree about the infect-ability of the virus. I'm simply pointing out that the severity among the younger population is drastically different (for the better) than among the older population.

Here is the official statement from L.A.

Shortly after Newsom spoke, the Los Angele County Department of Public Health issued a brief statement indicating the minor's death will require further evaluation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Though early tests indicated a positive result for COVID-19, the case is complex and there may be an alternate explanation for this fatality," the county department said.

It is unclear how the person contracted Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, Ferrer had said.

Coronavirus-related deaths in children remain relatively rare.

"In the mortality data that has been provided to us, there has been no child under 15 that has succumbed to the virus in Europe," Dr. Deborah Birx, White House coronavirus response coordinator, said during a White House briefing Monday. "There was the one 14-year-old in China. So we still see that there is less severity in children, and so that should be reassuring to the moms and dads out there."

Again, I don't disagree about the infect-ability of the virus. I'm simply pointing out that the severity among the younger population is drastically different (for the better) than among the older population.

Shortly after Newsom spoke, the Los Angele County Department of Public Health issued a brief statement indicating the minor's death will require further evaluation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Though early tests indicated a positive result for COVID-19, the case is complex and there may be an alternate explanation for this fatality," the county department said.

It is unclear how the person contracted Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, Ferrer had said.

"In the mortality data that has been provided to us, there has been no child under 15 that has succumbed to the virus in Europe," Dr. Deborah Birx, White House coronavirus response coordinator, said during a White House briefing Monday. "There was the one 14-year-old in China. So we still see that there is less severity in children, and so that should be reassuring to the moms and dads out there."

Yeah, we'll have to wait to see what that report says on what was the cause of death for the teen.

Crazy times that we're in right now.

Coronavirus: US could become new epicentre of outbreak amid ‘very large acceleration’ in cases, WHO warns
Over 46,000 infections and 530 deaths recorded, putting America on course to overtake Italy in number of cases

The United States could become the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak after a “very large acceleration” in the number of cases, a spokesperson for the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.

Over the last 24 hours, 85 per cent of new cases were in Europe and the United States, Margaret Harris told reporters. Of those, 40 per cent were from the US.

Asked whether the US could become the new epicentre, Ms Harris told reporters: “We are now seeing a very large acceleration in cases in the US. So it does have that potential.”

“... They [the US] have a very large outbreak and an outbreak that is increasing in intensity,” she added.

Overall, the Covid-19 outbreak was accelerating very rapidly and Ms Harris said she expected large increases in case numbers and deaths from the 334,981 infections and 14,510 deaths reported.

It appears likely the US, which has more than 46,000 infections and 530 deaths, will overtake Italy in the number of positive cases.

Health experts have made it clear that the number of infections will overwhelm the health care system in the US unless Americans continue to dramatically limit social interaction by staying home from work and isolating themselves.

“Life is fragile, and economies are fragile,” Mr Trump said, insisting he could protect both.

Probably for doing this interview:

Fauci says he would never use the term ‘China virus’ as he reveals frustrations working with Trump White House
Dr Anthony Fauci, the US’s leading diseases expert, has rebuked Trump’s claims on coronavirus. Now, he has described what it’s like inside the coronavirus taskforce in detail
dr-fauci-and-trump.jpg

According to the immunologist, the Trump administration needed things to be repeated four times before action was taken. He said: “When you’re dealing with the White House, sometimes you have to say things 1,2,3,4 times, and then it happens. So I’m going to keep pushing.”

The leading doctor told the New York Times in an interview published on Saturday that he was performing a balancing act with the Trump administration. He said: “I had been walking a fine line; I’ve been telling the president things he doesn’t want to hear. I have publicly had to say something different with what he states”.

Famous last words? One push too far? We can start calling it the
McMasters Conundrum. The One Page summary sheet may not be working anymore.

Fauci: "The president has listened to what I've said and to the other people who are on the task force have said. When I've made recommendations, he has taken them. He has never countered, overwritten me. The idea of just pitting one against the other is not helpful. I wish that would stop and that we'd look ahead at the challenge we have to get over this thing."

If he wasn't such a prick(OTUS), he would be hilarious.

I actually laughed when he said "Easter is a very special time for me...." and you could see the wheels spinning in his head as he decided where to take this bullshittery!!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Then -- 19 plus 7 when we 'heard' about it.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I must be Nostradamus then. I have been posting about it for more than a couple of months now -- since January?

I can see why people vote for him. He is a clown and everybody likes clowns.

Note to Mod: How do I change my nic/ID from Sglowrider to Sgnostro?

There are exactly zero non-charlatans and non-cranks calling for an Easter coming-out party. In particular, there are exactly zero non-charlatans and non-cranks who think it would be wise for white evangelical Protestants to gather in holy petri dishes on Easter Sunday.

I think that white evangelicals, as a group, are the worst of the deplorables. I think you hold profoundly retrograde and dangerous views. But I don't want Trump to kill you, just as Jerry Falwell Jr. is trying to kill the poor dumb schlubs who attend Liberty University. I want you to survive and be healthy until a Democratic government can get you basic services that would directly benefit you.

But anyone who listens to Trump is part of a death cult and might as well get ready to drink the Jim Jones Kool-Aid. Try as hard as you can not to be obstinate dumbasses. If you survive Trump, we'll come to help you, even though we detest each other.

Reactions: sglowrider
The guy is walking a frigging tightrope, and frankly, is in a no-win situation. The Democrats will attack him if he opens it up too soon, or vice versa, will attack him if he shuts it down too long...It's a true no-win situation...

Trump knows his very best chance to win reelection, is to crank the economy up again and hope for the best.

Many people believe something is very fishy with this Wuhan Virus...........
Yep just like he thought his best bet was to ignore the virus for two months and hope for the best. That didn’t work out too well, nor will opening everything too early at the cost of lives. And what does the last line mean? What do people find fishy about the COVID 19 Virus?

It can't be a "goal" to arbitrarily pick a day and say this is the date that I'd like to see the restrictions start to be lifted, without first knowing things like (1) who actually has the corona virus right now (2) all the ways it can be spread, (3) how long will the virus thrive in the air and on various types of surfaces and under a variety of other conditions, (4)
the incubation period, (5) how long it takes corona survivors to recover to the point that they are definitely no longer capable of spreading it and how to tell for sure that they are no longer infectious, (6) whether or not those who recover from it have permanent immunity (like measles) to prevent their catching it again, and probably a lot of other questions presently unanswered. We just don't have a track record with this virus to know exactly how to deal with it.

So, Trump's Easter comment is just an arbitrary date, not a true goal capable of being pursued ... unless of course you just abandon any idea of helping the populace get healthy again in order to point to the economy as a campaign platform. #MAHA.
Oh he made that just as symbolism for his evangelicals. A resurrection of the economy. Also said he wanted the churches full on Easter Sunday, which is particularly scary when several cases have been traced to starting in church communities.

Nothing you said disagrees with my statement that NONE of NY's deaths have been in the 18-44 age range. I'm sure there will be some, based on principles of statistics, but the large majority of people in that age range are not required to be hospitalized. To your point, many are asymptomatic or have such mild symptoms they wouldn't have thought to get tested.

That's why we were talking about the concept of needing to particularly protect those susceptible to corona vs. those less so.
Just read of a 27 year old that died in NYC.

https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/one-in-four-nyc-hospital-virus-patients-is-under-age-50.html
There seem to be an awful lot of them in the hospital if it’s not that serious.

The herd immunity strategy has had a thinning the herd effect. Seems to me that POTUS' use of Easter as the timing for "opening up the economy" is designed to appeal to his base with evangelical Christians . . .

. . . here in Georgia the densest clusters of corona virus outbreaks are in rural counties and centered around church worship services. He might lose a good part of his base, either directly to corona virus or to a dislike of the results, with this strategy . . . .

Religious orders seem to be an epicenter in several areas. The preponderance of cases in S Korea seems to originate from a cult-like church group- Shincheonji Church of Jesus, headquartered in Daegu. The refusal by congregants to observe social distancing- not wearing masks, praying close together is apparently to blame for a 61 yr old who had earlier traveled to the Balkans carrying the disease back and infecting many fellow worshipers. Fully 60% of all the cases in S Korea are thought to have a connection to Shincheonji itself or more broadly to Daegu, a city of 2.5 million.

Sacramento's Greenhaven Presbyterian church has had 5 deaths, including a woman who was also a substitute teacher in the school system. A Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia attracted 16,000 attendees from all over S E Asia, including the Philippines. The inclusion of several hundred attendees from the Philippines may end up being a factor in the US, particularly Utah.

On Sun 5 jets containing 1600 LDS Missionaries who were returning home from the Philippines after having their missions cut short by the virus arrived at SLC Airport. The airport had issued strict guidelines including no more than 2 people to meet each Missionary, and they were supposed to wait at their car for their passenger to walk from the terminal.

Instead, hundreds of people with balloons and signs congregated together in the short term parking garage and they all started hugging the returning missionaries, who were all supposed to be quarantined for the next 14 days. Basically it was a cluster****, and both Romney and the Governor, as well as the LDS hierarchy, were in shock at the blatant disregard for safety concerns...

These were Missionaries who had spent the past several months in both urban areas and remote jungle villages where hygiene and basic medical supplies were in short supply. They had undoubtedly been exposed to people with the virus, and reports said that many of them had pulled their protective masks off as they were hugging and kissing relatives and friends, grandparents and small children.

This may end up being one of the worst examples of indiscriminate spreading of the virus in a single setting. Based on accounts I've read I'll be shocked if we don't see a spike in cases in Utah in the next couple of weeks. And since SLC is the hub, but not necessarily the home base for all of the returning Missionaries, I could see a spike thru out the Mountain West, as families travel home to places like Idaho, Montana, Arizona and other states with a high concentration of LDS within their population...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/23/utah-health-officials/

Last edited:
Yep just like he thought his best bet was to ignore the virus for two months and hope for the best. That didn’t work out too well, nor will opening everything too early at the cost of lives. And what does the last line mean? What do people find fishy about the COVID 19 Virus?

There must have been a run on aluminium foil where he lives?

1) How many is many? 10? 11? 12?
2) Whatis the fishy part?
3) Wuhan virus? Are you trying out-do Trump? Shouldn't you be talking about this New York virus or Seattle virus? Oh, yeah, how about Kentucky virus?

Reactions: sglowrider
1) How many is many? 10? 11? 12?
2) Whatis the fishy part?
3) Wuhan virus? Are you trying out-do Trump? Shouldn't you be talking about this New York virus or Seattle virus? Oh, yeah, how about Kentucky virus?
No need to get personal!

The guy is walking a frigging tightrope, and frankly, is in a no-win situation. The Democrats will attack him if he opens it up too soon, or vice versa, will attack him if he shuts it down too long...It's a true no-win situation...

Trump knows his very best chance to win reelection, is to crank the economy up again and hope for the best.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He's primarily concerned with his re-election prospects. That's what takes up most of his mindshare.

And do you really think people would be critical of a decision to keep precautionary measures in place? The only people who would criticize his administration for that are the tin foil hat wearing folks who think this outbreak is some sort of 'conspiracy.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He's primarily concerned with his re-election prospects. That's what takes up most of his mindshare.

And do you really think people would be critical of a decision to keep precautionary measures in place? The only people who would criticize his administration for that are the tin foil hat wearing folks who think this outbreak is some sort of 'conspiracy.

Is he not seeing the numbers?

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F2e59f034-6e12-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Fatality Projections:

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F27c4166e-6e12-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Reactions: Ohio Guy

Across the United States, about 38% of coronavirus patients sick enough to be hospitalized were ages 20 to 54, the CDC reported last week.

The Coronavirus Is Sending Lots Of Younger People To The Hospital

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/coronavirus-young-age-severe-cases

Across the United States, about 38% of coronavirus patients sick enough to be hospitalized were ages 20 to 54, the CDC reported last week.

The Coronavirus Is Sending Lots Of Younger People To The Hospital

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/coronavirus-young-age-severe-cases

People will point out they are not dying, but if the hospitals get overcrowded and these kids are turned away, will they die? At least some of them will die. They aren't in the hospital because they are a little run down.

Reactions: Zizkov
One consideration I haven't seen discussed here much, we don't know yet that people who have recovered from COVID-19 are immune to it. And if they are immune, for how long? This article suggests that of the four corona viruses that already circulate, immunity does not last more than a year or two. Now that is plenty of time to get an economy started back up. But what if this virus has an even shorter immunity?

I really have no problem with an aspirational goal. But I fear what the Easter date is is an attempt to move the Overton Window. Where Trump once said July or August, he may just be attempting to now say "I waited until May 1 which is far longer than anyone ever considered. Everyone thought we should be open on Easter".

I’m not sure how many are actually taking Trump seriously at this point. I mean, the daily press conferences are basically a joke to see if those on the stage who are experts can get thru them without displaying over the top “Trump is insane” body language. He can’t golf, he can’t go to rallies, he can’t tweet his way out of this and it’s killing him.

It’s also killing his hotels. And now he is realizing that he is not going to get a secret $500 billion corporate bailout fund that he would control.

It can't be a "goal" to arbitrarily pick a day and say this is the date that I'd like to see the restrictions start to be lifted, without first knowing things like (1) who actually has the corona virus right now (2) all the ways it can be spread, (3) how long will the virus thrive in the air and on various types of surfaces and under a variety of other conditions, (4)
the incubation period, (5) how long it takes corona survivors to recover to the point that they are definitely no longer capable of spreading it and how to tell for sure that they are no longer infectious, (6) whether or not those who recover from it have permanent immunity (like measles) to prevent their catching it again, and probably a lot of other questions presently unanswered. We just don't have a track record with this virus to know exactly how to deal with it.

So, Trump's Easter comment is just an arbitrary date, not a true goal capable of being pursued ... unless of course you just abandon any idea of helping the populace get healthy again in order to point to the economy as a campaign platform. #MAHA.

I think you are being too literal. It is aspirational. If you don't get people back to work and the economic engine moving - the economy can collapse and a depression follows. Which has it'w own misery.

I am all for caution so lets see how it goes. I have a father with lung issues so I am not eager to get him exposed. But at some point we'll need to pivot and get back to work - for the people not in the higher risk groups.

I think you are being too literal. It is aspirational. If you don't get people back to work and the economic engine moving - the economy can collapse and a depression follows. Which has it'w own misery.

I am all for caution so lets see how it goes. I have a father with lung issues so I am not eager to get him exposed. But at some point we'll need to pivot and get back to work - for the people not in the higher risk groups.

Listened to a recent NYT Daily podcast that discussed the idea of segregating the higher risk groups. Those groups include: over 60, obese diabetics, people with high blood pressure, cancer patients and survivors, etc. Its not a small piece of the population.

Listened to a recent NYT Daily podcast that discussed the idea of segregating the higher risk groups. Those groups include: over 60, obese diabetics, people with high blood pressure, cancer patients and survivors, etc. Its not a small piece of the population.
I don't have a link unfortunately but last week I read that 100mil americans had at least one complicating condition, including age.

what's more is that we are such a massive country geographically that maybe it makes sense to handle "opening business" on a regional basis. obviously new york is under siege but there many states where the entire confirmed cases is less than a hundred. maybe some places go back to business and usual and others don't. we have a country where we essentially turn the faucet on and off regionally.

Nope, it is an enormous challenge. We have like 50 million in the US aged 65+, or about 15% of the population. Many live below the poverty line or close to it. Also many still work...because they need to money.

No easy answers here...

Don’t forget smokers. They are 16% of the population. And obese adults are 31% of the population. It’s going to be higher than that in Indiana. 9.4% of the adult population has diabetes.

You have to figure approximately half of the adult population of the United States fits into at least one of these higher risk categories.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...us-aid-to-governors-that-treat-us-well-2020-3
Trump says governors have to be nice to him if they want help . This is obviously going to hit harder in blue states with big cities, public transport, etc. Many of the red states have rural areas who social distance as a way of life. He wants these Democratic governors to bend the knee to him to get lifesaving equipment. As usual, reprehensible.

what's more is that we are such a massive country geographically that maybe it makes sense to handle "opening business" on a regional basis. obviously new york is under siege but there many states where the entire confirmed cases is less than a hundred. maybe some places go back to business and usual and others don't. we have a country where we essentially turn the faucet on and off regionally.

Not looking at the country as a one-size-fits-all is obviously the way to deal with mitigation measures. Significant disease clusters are easily identified when looking at the Hopkins bubble map. One obvious correlation is that COVID-19 is heavily clustered around metropolitan areas with airports having significant international flights. In Colorado there is a cluster centered in Denver and along I70 to the ski areas. Continuing along I70 past the ski areas to Grand Junction, you find cases in the low single digits.

Like most current events, those that affect the east or west coast seem to be more important than what happens in the rest of the country. After accounting for a few obvious exceptions, COVID-19 is much less in fly-over country.

Not looking at the country as a one-size-fits-all is obviously the way to deal with mitigation measures. Significant disease clusters are easily identified when looking at the Hopkins bubble map. One obvious correlation is that COVID-19 is heavily clustered around metropolitan areas with airports having significant international flights. In Colorado there is a cluster centered in Denver and along I70 to the ski areas. Continuing along I70 past the ski areas to Grand Junction, you find cases in the low single digits.

Like most current events, those that affect the east or west coast seem to be more important than what happens in the rest of the country. After accounting for a few obvious exceptions, COVID-19 is much less in fly-over country.
Right. So maybe it is plausible to open up regions for business by Easter. This isn't a one-size-fits-all approach. I listened to cuomo this morning and really like what he had to say about "rolling deployment." it makes little sense to attack this nationally. instead, we should concentrate our resources on the hotspots and go from hotspot to hotspot.

It is behind a week or two. Several states, including Indiana, are now at the stage that Washington (where I live) was at 2 weeks ago. And we've been pretty cautious the last two weeks to slow it. Not wishing it on anyone, but unfortunately just give it time. Your population densities yield a slower growth, but the growth is gaining. Indiana case count went from 265>365>477 in the last 60 hours or so.

I think Cuomo is talking that it needs to move through a particular area first to build a group with immunity and testing. Right now that doesn't really exist in the midwest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT