ADVERTISEMENT

Per Dick Vitale …

funny you mention RMK....I almost posted this hypothetical question yesterday- could you just imagine a 1980s-RMK trying to exist today in the NIL/Portal world? Man o man how things have changed.
I cannot imagine it. It is really starting to affect my outlook and interest as well. Hearing that TJD is making 6 figures in NIL money sure tempers any sympathy I might feel when people bash this "kid" as one-dimensional or not being NBA material. Hell, he's making grown-up money as a celebrity, he can take whatever slings and arrows that come along with that.

For me, the appeal of college athletic is (was) that it is students representing their school in competition. With NIL and the transfer portal, it is simply a money-making business of hired guns operating under the branding of the school. That's a lot less interesting to me.

I cannot imagine it. It is really starting to affect my outlook and interest as well. Hearing that TJD is making 6 figures in NIL money sure tempers any sympathy I might feel when people bash this "kid" as one-dimensional or not being NBA material. Hell, he's making grown-up money as a celebrity, he can take whatever slings and arrows that come along with that.

For me, the appeal of college athletic is (was) that it is students representing their school in competition. With NIL and the transfer portal, it is simply a money-making business of hired guns operating under the branding of the school. That's a lot less interesting to me.
I’m with you. The bigger the payroll, the dirtier and less appealing the program (to me)

Yeah, I no longer have any scruples about, say, writing “good riddance” in response to the news that Lander’s transferring. He might be a great person and blah blah blah, but now it’s produce or GTFO. Don’t like it, go play for Rose-Hulman.

I'm really trying to fight that mindset, buy yeah it's getting difficult. If there are 'bribes' being made to portal players...or 'potential' portal players, by "friends of another program", to lure them into the portal and then to the new program, then the entire system is tainted in my mind. And if that kind of shit is already legal, then college bball as we remembered it is gone for good. Pandoras box.

I'm really trying to fight that mindset, buy yeah it's getting difficult. If there are 'bribes' being made to portal players...or 'potential' portal players, by "friends of another program", to lure them into the portal and then to the new program, then the entire system is tainted in my mind. And if that kind of shit is already legal, then college bball as we remembered it is gone for good. Pandoras box.
even if what the boosters are admitting to is not just the tip of the iceberg of what is going on, it’s going to harm the sports image for many.

I was actually referring to his retirement. Players have a lot of leverage these days, unfortunately.
I must not know the entire story. The account I read was that he was outspoken opposing NIL and the Portal. The implication was that he didn't agree with the direction of college basketball and so quit. Is that not right and so his opposition wasn't related to his retirement?

Let’s get Cook on line 1! Yes, you described a very legal scenario that many universities are deploying as we speak. We will get there.
So….. does this basically mean that Universities will then become the sub-NBA???? It wouldn’t be Collegient Athletes anymore… it would be paid professional players.
(Serious question)

Last edited:
I must not know the entire story. The account I read was that he was outspoken opposing NIL and the Portal. The implication was that he didn't agree with the direction of college basketball and so quit. Is that not right and so his opposition wasn't related to his retirement?
I am not in the know enough to say how much of a factor that was. At the time, however, I heard rumblings that there were some transfers being threatened,

Reactions: CriticArisen
Yeah, I no longer have any scruples about, say, writing “good riddance” in response to the news that Lander’s transferring. He might be a great person and blah blah blah, but now it’s produce or GTFO. Don’t like it, go play for Rose-Hulman.
I knew a guy that got a PhD from Harvard and went to Rose Hulman to teach. When he first got there he walked into the gym and was shocked speechless. He thought why haven't I heard about their basketball program and why aren't they national champions. The Pacers were having their pre season camp there at that time.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and jimmygoiu
I knew a guy that got a PhD from Harvard and went to Rose Hulman to teach. When he first got there he walked into the gym and was shocked speechless. He thought why haven't I heard about their basketball program and why aren't they national champions. The Pacers were having their pre season camp there at that time.
Wait. I don’t get it. Is RHIT basketball actually quite good?

I reference the school only because it’s small and extremely well regarded. I reckon most students and alumni are more concerned with the progress of the Department of Mechanical Engineering’s program to develop robots that will one day colonize Jupiter … and beyond.

Wait. I don’t get it. Is RHIT basketball actually quite good?

I reference the school only because it’s small and extremely well regarded. I reckon most students and alumni are more concerned with the progress of the Department of Mechanical Engineering’s program to develop robots that will one day colonize Jupiter … and beyond.
He was newly arrived on campus and went into the gym and the Pacers were there having pre season camp and he thought the Pacers must be the Rose Hulman basketball team. He didn't know an NBA team had their camp at Rose Hulman.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Alumni can do whatever they want as long as they are not tied to the school in anyway. See Urban Myer at OSU. He will be doing exactly what you are talking about I am sure.
So, does your response mean the NCAA still has its rule providing that someone who joins an alumni group and receives a complimentary $10 license plate frame is automatically branded as a "booster"?

Crap. I thought that rule went the way of the phone call rules.

they thought it would curtail it because it makes so much legal that was against the rules before. Proponents have been wanting player stipends for ever and I guess they thought if players could just get some money, they'd not be tempted by more.... but that's not human nature!
Huh? Aren't players already receiving stipends?

they thought it would curtail it because it makes so much legal that was against the rules before. Proponents have been wanting player stipends for ever and I guess they thought if players could just get some money, they'd not be tempted by more.... but that's not human nature!
Agree. If thinking giving me something would prevent me from asking for more, that is impressively dumb.

Great story.

So apparently an acceptable going rate for TJD per appearance is $10K. In your scenario of one business contracting with him for $1M (which you said was legal) he would have to make 100 appearances. Let’s be generous and say he can garner $20K per appearance—still 50 appearances. The SA has to EARN the compensation. Not all athletes have the same value obviously and fair market compensation is a part of the equation even if you don’t want to accept that.
A rich donor can pay a player $10 million dollars for a tweet saying “[Insert Rich Owner’s Name] is awesome!”

This isn’t actually about having players market products or businesses. It’s about getting money in players’ pockets.

Now I can publicly say I will give every basketball player 10 grand for the 22-23 season (see the Miami booster), but IU can’t push that.

you're doing this wrong.

there is a fortune to be made for third parties as effectively agents for elite players, and said agents can force all the NIL money to come out of the pockets of the schools themselves, rather than the agents.

awhile back i wrote a post starting with "hypothetical", in either the bball or fball free forums.

i suggest you look it up. no idea what page it's on at this point.

the thing about capitalism is, if it can be done, and it's profitable, it will be done.

it will be done.

time's a wastin.

you're welcome.

Last edited:
you're doing this wrong.

there is a fortune to be made for third parties as effectively agents for elite players, and said agents can force all the NIL money to come out of the pockets of the schools themselves, rather than the agents.

awhile back i wrote a post starting with "hypothetical", in either the bball or fball free forums.

the thing about capitalism is, if it can be done, and it's profitable, it will be done.

it will be done.

time's a wastin.
I thought about this also and I agree. If I were a smart business guy I would start a business (essentially the business is the player’s agent) and sign the player. Then I would do the marketing (sales job) in getting him endorsements, appearances, etc. Take my cut and then offer to the player a second business where I make his stock investments. The player would likely make more after the agent’s cut than he could on his own.

Should surprise no one. Pandora’s box has been opened. Ironic too since Dicky V had been pleading to pay players for 2 decades.
That's not what irony is. And also huge presumption on what Dicky V's current thinking is. You don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater...these are early days

I thought about this also and I agree. If I were a smart business guy I would start a business (essentially the business is the player’s agent) and sign the player. Then I would do the marketing (sales job) in getting him endorsements, appearances, etc. Take my cut and then offer to the player a second business where I make his stock investments. The player would likely make more after the agent’s cut than he could on his own.

something there maybe, but i was talking a totally different angle.

i'll maybe re-post my "hypothetical" post sometime soon.

it turns NIL completely on it's head, and i have no doubt will be done.

something there maybe, but i was talking a totally different angle.

i'll maybe re-post my "hypothetical" post sometime soon.

it turns NIL completely on it's head, and i have no doubt will be done.
Does it end with the boosters, advertisers and players getting sued by the schools?

Does it end with the boosters, advertisers and players getting sued by the schools?

it ends with NIL not going as the schools hoped it would, and foolishly so imo.

and with the money coming out of the schools' pockets after all, while at the same time the schools have given up all control..

you're doing this wrong.

it will be done.

time's a wastin.

I had serious talks with my good friends that are way smarter than me about this. It is a lot of time and effort is the bottom line. My current industry is exploding and I have a path to really do well in the next several years. I don’t wanna take away from that, and this would require a lot of time and attention.

At this point I’d rather just pay for their NIL and try to get other folks and businesses to give them 100% of their money. I don’t need to make any money, and in the beginning stages of this, getting players as much money as possible is very important IMO.

That being said. It would be fun to be an agent of sorts, and I gave it serious thought.

Reactions: brianiu
So, does your response mean the NCAA still has its rule providing that someone who joins an alumni group and receives a complimentary $10 license plate frame is automatically branded as a "booster"?

Crap. I thought that rule went the way of the phone call rules.

Thank god we didn’t hire Drew Adams as an assistant coach. His dad, bumper frame boy, is just a bad human. Apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

it ends with NIL not going as the schools hoped it would, and foolishly so imo.

and with the money coming out of the schools' pockets after all, while at the same time the schools have given up all control..
I don't think your hypothetical would hold up under scrutiny. If you are taking money from schools for "consulting" into your left pocket, and paying recruits "bonuses" out of your right pocket, it's pretty clear what is really going on. Courts look at what you are effectively doing, not how you dress it up with descriptive language. But, no doubt someone will discover more circuitious routes to achieve the same thing. One thing you are right about is that if money can be made, someone will do it.

A rich donor can pay a player $10 million dollars for a tweet saying “[Insert Rich Owner’s Name] is awesome!”

This isn’t actually about having players market products or businesses. It’s about getting money in players’ pockets.

It’s not that simple. There’s fair market compensation to consider and it can’t be a personal payment—it has to run through a business entity.

I had serious talks with my good friends that are way smarter than me about this. It is a lot of time and effort is the bottom line. My current industry is exploding and I have a path to really do well in the next several years. I don’t wanna take away from that, and this would require a lot of time and attention.

At this point I’d rather just pay for their NIL and try to get other folks and businesses to give them 100% of their money. I don’t need to make any money, and in the beginning stages of this, getting players as much money as possible is very important IMO.

That being said. It would be fun to be an agent of sorts, and I gave it serious thought.

totally understand.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

the big downside to my hypothetical is the same as with pro agents now.

a relatively small base of prospects to go after, with eventually many competing for those few. (and family and friends eventually to compete with).

were i young and able, i'd probably be seeking you out for a job.

it's an exciting industry. that matters.

Last edited:
I don't think your hypothetical would hold up under scrutiny. If you are taking money from schools for "consulting" into your left pocket, and paying recruits "bonuses" out of your right pocket, it's pretty clear what is really going on. Courts look at what you are effectively doing, not how you dress it up with descriptive language. But, no doubt someone will discover more circuitious routes to achieve the same thing. One thing you are right about is that if money can be made, someone will do it.

i'm not hiding what's going on.

to my knowledge there is nothing for courts to look at.

no need for more "circuitious" routes till there is.

at which point those shouldn't be rocket science either.

and once it's done, i can't see how the whole intended goal of NIL doesn't get circumvented and turned on it's head, and the schools'/NCAA's "cleverness" comes back to bite them in the ass.

Last edited:
It’s not that simple. There’s fair market compensation to consider and it can’t be a personal payment—it has to run through a business entity.
That’s not true. You can get a cameo with an IU player right now. You pay them and they record a message for you (or someone you are gifting the message to). You can pay 1 cent or $10 million for that video message.

i'm not hiding what's going on.

to my knowledge there is nothing for courts to look at.

no need for more "circuitious" routes till there is.

at which point those shouldn't be rocket science either.

and once it's done, i can't see how the whole intended goal of NIL doesn't get circumvented and turned on it's head, and the schools'/NCAA's "cleverness" comes back to bite them in the ass.
AFAIK it is still not allowed for a school to pay a recuit for his commit. That may change, or be incorrect, but assuming that is the rule, a school cannot sidestep that rule by simply having a "consultant" as an intermediary; they are still in effect paying the player to commit, and in that simple scenario it would be obvious to anyone that is what was happening. They could not credibly claim that they didn't know what was going on, any more than Sampson could claim he wasn't making illegal calls because someone else dialed the phone number.

Gonna watch the McDonalds AA game tonight to see what IU missed out on! Im sure more than half these AA kids were offered some sort of cheating NIL deal! Looks like Arkansas has a couple in it, the usual Duke/KY/UCLA recruits also!

That’s not true. You can get a cameo with an IU player right now. You pay them and they record a message for you (or someone you are gifting the message to). You can pay 1 cent or $10 million for that video message.

It’s going through a business that’s giving them a cut right—not direct to the player. And didn't see an option to give more than the suggested rate. Am I missing something?

It’s going through a business that’s giving them a cut right—not direct to the player. And didn't see an option to give more than the suggested rate. Am I missing something?

Likely the player has set up an LLC if getting significant money (more than 25k, IMHO) so the player can write off certain expenses such as a cell phone. The player can also save on self employment taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT