ADVERTISEMENT

Per Dick Vitale …

hoosier48

Junior
May 21, 2008
Serious cheating going on with the NIL per a conversation with a high profile coach.
offers behind the scenes being made.
Wow this is gonna end up putting teams on probation.

Reactions: mk30
Serious cheating going on with the NIL per a conversation with a high profile coach.
Should surprise no one. Pandora’s box has been opened. Ironic too since Dicky V had been pleading to pay players for 2 decades.

Suspect the the portal is going to have behind the scenes promises as well.
especially the way it can turn a team around in one season.

I've never understood why people thought that the NIL would curtail cheating. Just because someone can make a bit of money legally doesn't mean that they can't do that...and still make more under the table. There will always be more from someone.

I've never understood why people thought that the NIL would curtail cheating. Just because someone can make a bit of money legally doesn't mean that they can't do that...and still make more under the table. There will always be more from someone.
Again, this is not about NIL. It is legal for me to give TJD a million dollars tomorrow to sponsor Cavanagh's Corner.

Even if you pay the players there will always someone that will give them more.
Paying players wouldn't make a difference.

Again, this is not about NIL. It is legal for me to give TJD a million dollars tomorrow to sponsor Cavanagh's Corner.

I'm not saying this particular cheating scandal had anything to do with the NIL. I'm saying that it never made any sense for people to suggest that having the NIL would eliminate cheating. I don't care how much a kid could make via the NIL. There is always more somewhere else.

I expected the NIL would open new avenues for schools to cheat. There would be so much cheating the NCAA couldn't or wouldn't enforce their own rules. Kansas and UNC got away with murder before and are untouchable now..

If you are going to have money involved in amateur sports then you have to have all teams and all players receive the exact same amount for it to be fair. If you do it anyway else then you are allowing some teams to have a huge advantage. This thing stinks to high heaven.

Going forward, for the better players at least, it’s a pro sport with one year contracts. Just a marginal connection to the school.

Reactions: DANC
I'm not saying this particular cheating scandal had anything to do with the NIL. I'm saying that it never made any sense for people to suggest that having the NIL would eliminate cheating. I don't care how much a kid could make via the NIL. There is always more somewhere else.
I'm not sure i understand what you mean. If there is money to be made, its legal. Where is getting it somewhere else, illegal? To me, these transactions happened but now there are more deals for players available and they're over the table instead of under.

If you are going to have money involved in amateur sports then you have to have all teams and all players receive the exact same amount for it to be fair. If you do it anyway else then you are allowing some teams to have a huge advantage. This thing stinks to high heaven.
Again, these payments were already happening. Meaning these advantages were already in place. You're just now seeing it.

Reactions: oldcougar77
I'm not sure i understand what you mean. If there is money to be made, its legal. Where is getting it somewhere else, illegal? To me, these transactions happened but now there are more deals for players available and they're over the table instead of under.

There are restrictions to NIL. One of the main ones (unless it’s been changed) is that quid pro quo payments are not allowed. Meaning that NIL benefits can’t be tied to something like attending a particular university. You don’t think some will abuse this? There will always be cheating. Just because a kid can make some money legally doesn’t mean there won’t be more illegal money available. Or do you actually believe we’ve seen the end of NCAA violations?

Reactions: Wildmanroom
Serious cheating in the portal. Not NIL. Nothing is illegal in NIL. It is BS. I give you 100 grand to say Cavanagh is awesome or 100 bucks. Both legal.

Not true. NIL can’t be used for recruiting purposes. and there’s something called fair market compensation—100K to say you’re awesome wouldn’t fly. Probably should check back in with IU compliance pronto.

Ya it is a coach saying you should leave IU come play for UCLA. That is happening now (not that exact example). A lot.
But that is not illegal (am I correct?).
A school May say “enter the portal, come to us, and we will give you X amount of dollars”. That may be unethical but not illegal. Or am I wrong?

Again, these payments were already happening. Meaning these advantages were already in place. You're just now seeing it.
And IU can get in the game. Better than sitting at home watching cheaters playing in the final 4.

Not true. NIL can’t be used for recruiting purposes. and there’s something called fair market compensation—100K to say you’re awesome wouldn’t fly. Probably should check back in with IU compliance pronto.
I didn’t say NIL could be used for recruiting. I said that I could pay someone, let’s say TJD 100k to promote me. I could also pay Logan duncomb $100 for the same thing.

Fair market value yes, but when a player reaches TJD status, you can give them as much as you want and No1 will ask questions. If I gave Logan 100k people would, but why would anyone do that?

you talk to compliance.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT