ADVERTISEMENT

Per Dick Vitale …

NCAA rules re: NIL don’t permit “pay for play” or impermissible recruiting “contingent on enrollment at a particular institution”. From NCAA’s own website.
Cool, so you finally agree that it is not illegal?

Schools can easily get around the RULES you mentioned above by going through a third party like an AAU coach to discuss NIL deals prior to commitment. The same way they get around tampering when trying to convince a player to transfer.

Wasn’t at all about being naive, it was about whether there are rules against it—as some suggested there were not. The rules exist despite cheaters finding a way.

Wasn’t at all about being naive, it was about whether there are rules against it—as some suggested there were not. The rules exist despite cheaters finding a way.
You said it was illegal. It is not. There will be no repercussions from NIL deals.

just take the L buddy. No1 is cheating or everyone is cheating. If a poster on here went to Keon brooks tomorrow and said “if you come to IU I’ll give you a 100k NIL deal”. Not illegal, unless he works for the university.

oh and you are ignorant. Lol

Help me understand this then—From IU website:

The NCAA has adopted guidance governing student-athletes’ NIL activities (the “NCAA Rules”). The NCAA rules provide that a student-athlete is prohibited from (1) receiving pay-for-play and (2) receiving an improper recruiting inducement.

IU Athletics and our student-athletes must follow the NCAA Rules and this IU Athletics policy; student-athletes, IU Athletics staff, or other third parties should consult with the IU Athletics Office of Compliance Services regarding the NCAA Rules and this policy prior to engaging in NIL activities that involve IU student-athletes.

And this:

IU student-athletes may engage in NIL activities and receive corresponding compensation from University donors or sponsors so long as the compensation is for the NIL activity and is not a recruiting inducement or an inducement to remain enrolled at IU.

Help me understand this then—From IU website:

The NCAA has adopted guidance governing student-athletes’ NIL activities (the “NCAA Rules”). The NCAA rules provide that a student-athlete is prohibited from (1) receiving pay-for-play and (2) receiving an improper recruiting inducement.

IU Athletics and our student-athletes must follow the NCAA Rules and this IU Athletics policy; student-athletes, IU Athletics staff, or other third parties should consult with the IU Athletics Office of Compliance Services regarding the NCAA Rules and this policy prior to engaging in NIL activities that involve IU student-athletes.

And this:

IU student-athletes may engage in NIL activities and receive corresponding compensation from University donors or sponsors so long as the compensation is for the NIL activity and is not a recruiting inducement or an inducement to remain enrolled at IU.
There is no helping you understand.

You can make the NIL deal based on them being on the team without explicitly stating that. The same way coaches let players not in the transfer portal know they would recruit them if they put their name in. Gray area? Sure. Against the rules? No.

There is no helping you understand.

You can make the NIL deal based on them being on the team without explicitly stating that. The same way coaches let players not in the transfer portal know they would recruit them if they put their name in. Gray area? Sure. Against the rules? No.

So you’re saying there’s no recruiting rules re: NIL? How can there be a gray area if there’s no black? Seems like I’m laying out the intention of the NCAA and plenty of states with NIL legislation as to what isn’t permissible and you’re suggesting if you don’t get caught cheating, there’s no rules.

So you’re saying there’s no recruiting rules re: NIL? How can there be a gray area if there’s no black? Seems like I’m laying out the intention of the NCAA and plenty of states with NIL legislation as to what isn’t permissible and you’re suggesting if you don’t get caught cheating, there’s no rules.
We’ve explained it many times already to you.

Reactions: brianiu
Serious cheating going on with the NIL per a conversation with a high profile coach.
offers behind the scenes being made.
Wow this is gonna end up putting teams on probation.
Vitale is also the same guy who claimed the NCAA scandal three years ago was going to change college bbal forever. Meanwhile he cheers on cheaters like Kansas who have seen zero reprocussions for their cheating. The NCAA is a joke and does not give a crap.

Not true. NIL can’t be used for recruiting purposes. and there’s something called fair market compensation—100K to say you’re awesome wouldn’t fly. Probably should check back in with IU compliance pronto.
Hey my guy. Race just got 100k for helping a charity out. The head of compliance, who I’ve been talking to got hired to be the director of the foundation to deal out the money. This is called legal pay for play.

How u like dem apples

Hey my guy. Race just got 100k for helping a charity out. The head of compliance, who I’ve been talking to got hired to be the director of the foundation to deal out the money. This is called legal pay for play.

How u like dem apples
$100K from who? The charity? That seems like a lot of money for a charity to spend on a celebrity endorsement. Which charity is it?

$100K from who? The charity? That seems like a lot of money for a charity to spend on a celebrity endorsement. Which charity is it?
Fundamentally, I think what’s happening is that this new NIL group that is facilitating this went to some boosters, found out what charities they already contributed to, then went to the charity and said “Mr Smith already gives you $50k a year and is prepared to give $100k if you pay this athlete $25k of that extra money for some promotional work.”

Fundamentally, I think what’s happening is that this new NIL group that is facilitating this went to some boosters, found out what charities they already contributed to, then went to the charity and said “Mr Smith already gives you $50k a year and is prepared to give $100k if you pay this athlete $25k of that extra money for some promotional work.”
I actually think the charity is probably just linked and the foundation "Hoosiers for Good" is not only paying the athlete but also donating to the charity. So if you donate to "Hoosiers for good" that money will be spent on charities and players.

The charities in this case linked to race and TJD are "Turnstone" and "Stop the violence"

I actually think the charity is probably just linked and the foundation "Hoosiers for Good" is not only paying the athlete but also donating to the charity. So if you donate to "Hoosiers for good" that money will be spent on charities and players.

The charities in this case linked to race and TJD are "Turnstone" and "Stop the violence"
I think for tax deduction purposes, it probably makes more sense give all the money straight to the charity. And that’s what this is really about, making payments to players tax deductible. I’m not against it, just that tax deductions and positive PR about how players are getting paid is the true cynical purpose of this setup.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I think for tax deduction purposes, it probably makes more sense give all the money straight to the charity. And that’s what this is really about, making payments to players tax deductible. I’m not against it, just that tax deductions and positive PR about how players are getting paid is the true cynical purpose of this setup.

Could be, no idea on the specifics. I am glad that Fred and his law firm, and the ex head of compliance for IU, are behind this organization. They will for sure dot the I’s and cross the T’s.

Could be, no idea on the specifics. I am glad that Fred and his law firm, and the ex head of compliance for IU, are behind this organization. They will for sure dot the I’s and cross the T’s.
I think this is perfectly legal NOW, although I could see some changes in the tax code in the next few years depending on how much money gets moved to players this way

Reactions: Cavanagh
as a long time resident of northern IL...that made me laugh. One of most corrupt systems in the country. Home of the 'pay to play' concept.
During my four years of going to school at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago it seemed like everyday an alderman,judge,state senator, policeman or even fireman was in the news concerning corruption. I'm from Washington IN and we didn't have that kind of news about our city workers and local politicians. At least it was very rare.

He didn’t make $100k from any one source which is the point Re: fair market compensation.

And you literally said in post #10 you could give TJD $1M and it would be legal. That’s not true at all—and a bit concerning you don’t know this already.
I
G
N
O
R
A
N
T

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT