ADVERTISEMENT

Pence signs his backwardsass bill.....

After he tried to start his own press bureau,

I lost any respect I might have had for that jackass. I don't follow politics closely nowadays - too many other things competing for my time that I can actually do something about and which more immediately and directly impact me. So before that fiasco I basically thought of him as a right-wing conservative politician whom I probably didn't agree with much, but beyond that didn't have an opinion one way or another. But the press thing...once I saw that, my view of him is that I don't trust a single thing he says or does. Period.

Here's a quote from Emmert.....

11100053_798430503579810_423997997676146711_n.jpg

Pence is an idiot and he has a long history of being an idiot.....

this isn't even the dumbest thing he has supported, but if this gets people to see what an idiot he is then that's good.

Ma-asshat-a is probably a big supporter.

that picture..................

separation of church and state.....................NOT

Pence is a zealot

It's now made the front page of ESPN.....

the backwardsassness of the Indiana has gone national!

CNN as well.

link

Can I ask a stupid question?...

What are the "good points" of this bill supposed to be?
Because I haven't seen or heard of any.

What are Pence's arguments FOR it...who does he think this will protect?

Just curious...

So religious nuts.....

can be a$$holes.

Legally
This post was edited on 3/26 3:50 PM by Zizkov

Not a very savy move, but I still say not much will come of it except I

won't be able to get my Muhammad cartoons copied at my local Muslim owned Kinkos anymore.

I think.....

the % of people actually effected will be minimal, but it's still a stupid bill and nothing good comes from it.

It's embarrassing.

And the hits keep coming.......

$4 Billion Corp. To Indiana: We Warned You About RFRA, Now We're 'Forced To Dramatically Reduce Our Investment'

Link

Just watch - he will throw his hat in the ring...

...for President and this was merely a way to shore up his right wing credentials.

It'll be interesting to see just how many businesses, organizations and vendors boycott Indiana.

Pence put Indiana in the news in a crappy way right before the F4 comes to town. The publicity is not going to be great.

And all for something that doesn't even really mean anything, legally. It's just a symbolic "FU" to the gay community by a loud but impotent minority of crazy people.

This post was edited on 3/26 3:59 PM by UTFO

Losing Salesforce is a pretty big deal.

That's just the first to make a move, and they're a $4 billion company.

Per their CEO...

"We have been an active member of the Indiana business community and a
key job creator for more than a decade," Scott McCorkle, CEO of the
Salesforce Marketing Cloud division, wrote
in a letter to Indiana lawmakers. "Our success is fundamentally based
on our ability to attract and retain the best and most diverse pool of
highly skilled employees, regardless of gender, religious affiliation,
ethnicity or sexual orientation."

"Without an open business environment that welcomes all residents and
visitors," he warned, "Salesforce will be unable to continue building
on its tradition of marketing innovation in Indianapolis."
Whether it actually affects the day-to-day life of LGBT people is one thing totally separate from the economic impact.

The economic impact doesn't depend on the specifics of the law as much as the perception does. If the state is perceived to be made up of a bunch of bigots, that's going to seriously hurt the state's ability to collect taxes from national companies made up of a diverse and talented workforce.

Not moralizing to you by any stretch, but I think it's an important thing to note. Whether it affects your day-to-day actions or not, there'll be less money to go around. That means more potholes, a less trained police force, and crappier schools.

This law is 49 flavors of stupid.

This post was edited on 3/26 3:05 PM by Oxford Collapse

SalesForce pulls out of investment into Indiana

He has no chance in the primary. There are other just as f'd....

up that aren't as stupid. Walker would beat him for the ridiculously stupid wingnut vote.

What exactly have they lost?

Nothing, so far.

He said he's going to "halt plans for expansion." Ok...we don't know if they were planning on investing another dollar or another billion dollars. Is he pulling all operations from Indiana? If so, there's nothing in that article that says that.

He could be serious. He could be doing his own little publicity tour to distance himself from the dopes who passed the bill. The NCAA, Cummins, Lily, NFL, etc... are all going to do the same thing.

It's simple...this is a national issue (one that's already been decided, at that) being played out in Indiana's backyard. The rhetoric is gonna be loud for a while. Then it will die down as the religious right and LGBT-ers take this fight to another forum. Indiana isn't the first state to go through this. It passed in other states, and it will here too, eventually.

I've said it a 100X--it's very dumb of the upper levels of the Indiana GOP to let themselves get mixed up in this (even if they support it in principal). This is the type of thing Mitch Daniels would have cut off at the knees precisely, because it is a social issue that takes away from the focus on the economy.

But....you guys are getting worked up in a tizzy over some political grandstanding.

Re: If I'm an atheist business owner can I refuse to serve Christians?

No...you're just another moron who doesn't understand law whatsoever.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 3/26 4:20 PM by twenty02

Listen, that's definitely possible.

We could look at this in a few weeks and say that it hasn't had much of an impact.

But if it doesn't have an impact of any kind, what the hell is the actual incentive to pass a law that *they knew* was going to cause some major backlash?

But let's be honest with ourselves, here.

Indianapolis is a pretty okay town. I've generally enjoyed my experiences there, especially downtown and sometimes in Broad Ripple.

But it's not the most attractive town for business to begin with. For a town in a growth pattern, any "cons" are a bigger deal than they are for Chicago, San Jose, or, heck, Minneapolis. It just doesn't have some of the natural advantages those places do.

It's a totally unnecessary risk that really just serves to alienate a good portion of the state's residents and bring on some really bad PR. It's a bad look, and it's a sign of a seriously out of touch administration.

This post was edited on 3/26 4:23 PM by Oxford Collapse

Isn't anyone else sick of 3000 year old myths dictating

policy? Religion needs to go the f away ..

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main difference between the IN bill

and other states is that this bill protects businesses rather than just individuals which is where this controversy stems from?

The thing is that any business owner in their right freaking mind...

would never do it. The idiot lady at the cake shop went belly up. Any business stupid enough to post or decline service to someone because of religious reason will be slaughtered by social media and main stream media. It will be business suicide and really really stupid. I am sure we will see 1 or 2 business try it (because the owner is an idiot) and they will all be out of business in 6 months to a year.

The bill basically does nothing because 99.9% of business won't "discriminate" against anyone, because they are customers and customers are money. Hell it is hard enough running a business why in the hell would you want to make it any harder.

YEP It's ridiculously stupid

To pass it....just because of the public blowback it's getting. Bad image for the state.

As for the law itself, is basically does nothing. It was a political trophy from the religious right since they lost gay marriage. A runner up trophy

Sure the noise will die down and disappear soon. The American public...

Has a 5 minute attention span.

That doesn't make it any less stupid.

Just because most Americans are stupid (and they aren't alone) doesn't make this law any less backwardsass.

This is what upsets me the most about the stupid law and a few other...

things Pence and the Republicans have done. It is as if they went brain dead and do not realize the long term damage they are causing. Just like the Ritz deal (I didn't vote for her), why would you take away her power. I know she was a Dem. but serious it was stupid. They just took power away from a position that one day may be controlled by a republican and might even be controlled by a republican with a Dem. gov. and house (might be a long shot but hey 40 years ago Texas was Dem.). Basically they just opened the flood gates for when someone they do not agree with gets elected and does the same thing or take more power away from them. It will be well back in 2015 the republicans did it so sorry pals. Freaking pisses me off. Where did the common sense go? I guess those people refuse to run because they would have to deal with idiots every day.

They could do that before the bill was ever passed so these..

business owner are even dumber than I thought. I hope you are being sarcastic.

He's surrounded by nobody but people who constantly...

...tell him how awesome and righteous he is.

I agree he has no chance but I bet he has ambitions.

If one of my employees does something stupid like that...

they will be fired. Take me to court I don't care. I will find some $#!T to can you on. As an employer you can find a reason to can someone. Budget cuts.. sorry pal..

I agree, it's just pandering to the religious nuts....

But that doesn't make any less stupid.

I'm coming to Europe in May

I just might stay. The only encouraging thing to me is how united even most of my conservative IN friends are against it. Have never seen so many posts on one thing on my fb wall. Embarrassing. Glad I live in Btown. We don't consider it Indiana.

Pence is a jackass

He thinks the social conservatives will carry him to white house. He still believes it's 2000 or even 2004 when that crap still worked

great saying except for the fact

That the economy always improves under Dems and tanks under Pubs.

The point of the bill? There is none to 99% of Indiana's population. None.

This is national politics being played out on a local stage. Specifically, portions of the religious right that are sore losers, are trying to rehash this issue state by state. Some national level people are probably in Pence's ear, and a few others, promising them favors and how great it will be for their 'pub career. They're dumb enough to fall for it apparently, because a cursory reading of any polling would tell them differently.

Like I said, this bill is nothing to 99% of this state's citizens and will affect even less (hopefully).

Pro sports in this country are about as homophobic as can be. Where are Michael Sam's and Jason Collin's pro contracts? They're not pulling anything from Indy. And Indy is an attractive place for those conventions. That's why they come there. They're not there now out of benevolence. They're there for profit.

Like I said, this has nothing to do with 99% of the people here. National politics. Special interests. The CEO's of the company's listed could get a private meeting with Pence or any other politician any day of the week. That should tell you the power of the influence coming the other way. It ain't grassroots pressure.

Lemme know when you are going to be in Prague....

I will meet you for a beer.

The Vid can attest that I'm a decent host. He was here not long ago.

Also, if you have any questions let me know.

We all saw what happened in AZ last year.

That mayor felt the heat and did the smart thing.

Ours not so much.

It's really too early to tell what this law means in practice. It's so vague and broad anybody can basically use it for anything, and they probably will.

There's a lot of us who don't want to be known as "that state".

Perception is reality.

The fact it breezed through the House, Senate and Governor's desk (private ceremony, no less) pisses me off.

It means a lot to me b/c these are the exact kind of people I want exposed and prohibited from having any real say on anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT