ADVERTISEMENT

Nikki Haley getting dragged

Taking this thread back from the folks who eat Trump news for breakfast:

Did Lincoln cause the Civil War by getting elected?

Lincoln said many times that he could not act against slavery - and did not want to - and would not do so - even after Dred Scott, even in his first inaugural (much wordier than his better later writings):

"Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that--

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; ...

* *. *. *. *

There is much controversy about the delivering up of fugitives from service or labor. The clause I now read is as plainly written in the Constitution as any other of its provisions:

No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall in consequence of any law or regulation therein be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.

It is scarcely questioned that this provision was intended by those who made it for the reclaiming of what we call fugitive slaves; and the intention of the lawgiver is the law. ...."

*. *. *. *. *

And yet, there was secession and war despite the promises about protecting slavery.

In the same speech, Lincoln also said THIS:

"Again: In any law upon this subject ought not all the safeguards of liberty known in civilized and humane jurisprudence to be introduced, so that a free man be not in any case surrendered as a slave?"

Paraphrasing - "you slaveowners talk about your liberty and property rights - which you also argue should not protect a slave - so shouldn't you fight just as hard to make sure a free man is not wrongly enslaved or re-enslaved - shouldn't due process be allowed to make that decision - you hypocritical bastages?"

Slavery was going to be protected - and the South knew it. Again and again it had been - by compromises that preserved their numerical stand-off, and by federal law, and by Constitutional enshrinement, and by Dred Scott. The Secesh were tired of being deemed immoral. They just didn't want to be a part of the "United" States anymore, and they thought they could secede and get away with it because Northern people wouldn't allow a war - or not for long enough.

Does that mean slavery was "the" cause? Yes. It was the foundation stone for ALL causes.

Taking this thread back from the folks who eat Trump news for breakfast:

Did Lincoln cause the Civil War by getting elected?

Lincoln said many times that he could not act against slavery - and did not want to - and would not do so - even after Dred Scott, even in his first inaugural (much wordier than his better later writings):

"Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that--

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; ...

* *. *. *. *

There is much controversy about the delivering up of fugitives from service or labor. The clause I now read is as plainly written in the Constitution as any other of its provisions:

No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall in consequence of any law or regulation therein be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.

It is scarcely questioned that this provision was intended by those who made it for the reclaiming of what we call fugitive slaves; and the intention of the lawgiver is the law. ...."

*. *. *. *. *

And yet, there was secession and war despite the promises about protecting slavery.

In the same speech, Lincoln also said THIS:

"Again: In any law upon this subject ought not all the safeguards of liberty known in civilized and humane jurisprudence to be introduced, so that a free man be not in any case surrendered as a slave?"

Paraphrasing - "you slaveowners talk about your liberty and property rights - which you also argue should not protect a slave - so shouldn't you fight just as hard to make sure a free man is not wrongly enslaved or re-enslaved - shouldn't due process be allowed to make that decision - you hypocritical bastages?"

Slavery was going to be protected - and the South knew it. Again and again it had been - by compromises that preserved their numerical stand-off, and by federal law, and by Constitutional enshrinement, and by Dred Scott. The Secesh were tired of being deemed immoral. They just didn't want to be a part of the "United" States anymore, and they thought they could secede and get away with it because Northern people wouldn't allow a war - or not for long enough.

Does that mean slavery was "the" cause? Yes. It was the foundation stone for ALL causes.
Mostly right, but I disagree on one point: you seem to think the South believed Lincoln wouldn't go after slavery. I don't think they believed that at all. I think they thought a Republican president and a Republican Congress was the end of slavery, campaign speeches be damned.

Mostly right, but I disagree on one point: you seem to think the South believed Lincoln wouldn't go after slavery. I don't think they believed that at all. I think they thought a Republican president and a Republican Congress was the end of slavery, campaign speeches be damned.
Lincoln only went after slavery - and could ONLY go after slavery - when and because the Secesh gave him the play to amend the Constitution ... with post-secession House and Senate numbers, and late-war/post-war Reconstruction governments in enough seceded states

If they had stayed in the Union, it could never have happened.

Grant was right - "sure you have the right to revolt and secede - if you are strong enough - but if you lose, you eat what the winners give you, and like it."

Lincoln only went after slavery - and could ONLY go after slavery - when and because the Secesh gave him the play to amend the Constitution ... with post-secession House and Senate numbers, and late-war/post-war Reconstruction governments in enough seceded states

Grant was right - "sure you have the right to revolt and secede - if you are strong enough - but if you lose, you eat what the winners give you, and like it."
I'm not saying he would have; I'm saying the South genuinely believed he would.

Reactions: BradStevens
This. Didn’t have to be immediate, either. It could be that Lincoln et al. Would put into place policies that would likely lead to a majority of new states being created that were not slave states, making the power of the slave holding states so weak they could not protect their institution.

I thought there was a lot of historical evidence documenting Southern fear of the new territories being predominantly non slave holding to a point where the non slaveholding states would have the power to amend the Constitution.

Reactions: UncleMark
Isn't that what bleeding Kansas was all about?
The Compromise of 1850 ended up hardening views. First, CA came in free which gave the North a numerical advantage, this scared the South. The popular sovereignty led to violence in Kansas, which hardened views. And the Fugitive Slave Act was greatly hated in the North.

The compromise bought time at the cost of hardening positions. I don't know that anything better was out there, but it clearly helped lead to the War.

By the way, many Southerners were talking about secession in 1850 over California's admission. The fear of the north getting a congressional advantage wasn't new to 1860 or the Republicans.

Reactions: BradStevens
I'm not saying he would have; I'm saying the South genuinely believed he would.
Disagree - the rich plantation class sold that propaganda to the poor folk. Jefferson Davis and his ilk knew damn well that Lincoln could not touch slavery. ESPECIALLY after Dred Scott. After Dred Scott, Congress could not keep slavery out of any state or territory. Only Constitutional amendment could change that. And Lincoln lacked the numbers - and always would.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I thought there was a lot of historical evidence documenting Southern fear of the new territories being predominantly non slave holding to a point where the non slaveholding states would have the power to amend the Constitution.
Dred Scott neutered the Feds.

States could try - but how the heck do you find the population to make all new states free or slave? Constant re-settling?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Dred Scott neutered the Feds.

States could try - but how the heck do you find the population to make all new states free or slave? Constant re-settling?
You settle them with white settlers who don't want to compete against rich slave holders:

"While the South utilized slavery to sustain its culture and grow cotton on plantations, the North prospered during the Industrial Revolution. Northern cities, the center of industry in the United States, became major metropolises due to an influx of immigrants. With this willing and cheap workforce, the North did not require a slave system. Although some northerners found the institution of slavery morally reprehensible, most did not believe in complete racial equality either. 2 Slavery became even more divisive when it threatened to expand westward because non-slaveholding white settlers did not want to compete with slaveholders in the new territories."

so i guess our inane media is now dragging nikki for her answer about the civil war and leaving out slavery. our resident expert @Marvin the Martian may weigh in here but i thought her answer was fine. it was about state's rights and the reach of the fed gov. do these people think she's not aware of slavery? i mean wtf is wrong with the people in this country? the woman is a tater. born in bamberg an hour away from charleston harbor. with as insane as our population/media has become i don't know why any normal person would want to run. biden is a an ancient govtl ruin but save that we may end up with only narcissistic crazies like the viv or trump capable of putting up with the bullshit

Haley crushing Biden by 8 in new poll. Trump performing the worst of the big 3 vs Biden.

Haley crushing Biden by 8 in new poll. Trump performing the worst of the big 3 vs Biden.

that's good that all three are beating biden. dems might be waking up to what kind of a disaster we've had with biden. maybe dems will switch him out for someone not a progressive. i think it's pretty clear today that haley pulls independents and dems that trump/desantis don't. the problem is she has zero chance pulling core pubs. so while she's "our" best chance to beat biden she has no chance to beat trump imo and unfortunately

• Love
Reactions: snarlcakes
Haley's closing the gap in New Hampshire:

Trump 39%
Haley 32%

He's playing the birther bullshit card again, so he must be worried.

Seems like in The Con's mind everybody is ineligible for the presidency except him - - - a soon-to-be convicted felon who corruptly and illegally tried to overturn an election he lost.
Why is Trump trying so hard to get out the vote in Iowa if he already has an insurmountable lead there?

Trump is now joking about critically ill people fighting through a blizzard to vote for him and then passing away. Starting to sound desperate.

Haley's closing the gap in New Hampshire:

Trump 39%
Haley 32%

He's playing the birther bullshit card again, so he must be worried.

Seems like in The Con's mind everybody is ineligible for the presidency except him - - - a soon-to-be convicted felon who corruptly and illegally tried to overturn an election he lost.
Everybody knows Trump's position as to Obama's birth, but didn't Trump even claim Ted Cruz was not a citizen?

Why is Trump trying so hard to get out the vote in Iowa if he already has an insurmountable lead there?

Trump is now joking about critically ill people fighting through a blizzard to vote for him and then passing away. Starting to sound desperate.
Trump is winning everywhere but Johnson County (Iowa City). Haley leads there

very interesting. so maybe that reluctance to come right out with slavery was something inculcated having grown up where she did etc
Slavery fvcks with our founded on Christianity nation history myth. American fundamentalist evangelical Christians can't stand pagans removing the devine blessings from our national history. Remember the Promise Keepers refused to acknowledge the sin of structural racism and ask for forgiveness for that sin.

I’m a life long Republican. I’m embarrassed at how many of us have fallen for this huckster. Trump nomination = Michelle Obama presidency. Haley is the only reasonable choice at this point

• Haha
Reactions: dbmhoosier
I just read that some outlets have them tied.

Hypothetically, Would you vote for Haley or just stay home?

The Twitter account DBM linked selectively posts the polls that are best for Trump.

I just read that some outlets have them tied.

Hypothetically, Would you vote for Haley or just stay home?

That's a bs garbage poll. The couple polls that have historically gotten NH accurate all have Trump ahead by double digits. Donors have told Haley if she doesn't get within 3 in NH the spigot is shut off. And most of Haley's support there is from Dems crossing over to vote for her because they know she can't win the general. It is over!

That's a bs garbage poll. The couple polls that have historically gotten NH accurate all have Trump ahead by double digits. Donors have told Haley if she doesn't get within 3 in NH the spigot is shut off. And most of Haley's support there is from Dems crossing over to vote for her because they know she can't win the general. It is over!
NH would destroy Grandpa in the general

• Haha
Reactions: dbmhoosier
You really think Biden would win a general against Haley? Michelle Obama ( not a fan by the way) would likely take all mentioned

I’m a life long Republican. I’m embarrassed at how many of us have fallen for this huckster. Trump nomination = Michelle Obama presidency. Haley is the only reasonable choice at this point
"Have you met Aloha, twenty, Sidney, and Clayton?"

yNmIb1I.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
That can be offset by other voting blocks. **** MAGA and the horse they rode in on.

Threatening to hold the Republican Party hostage is bullshit.
exactly. haley has a much better chance than trump to defeat biden. haley would bring in pubs, dems, and independents, while tamping down the number of dems that show for biden. that's a bigger number than maga

• Love
Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT