ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Davis

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Read some scuttlebutt around here that MD got screwed at IU even though he had clearly had enough. Pulled like hell for him to win #6 and he just about pulled it off. Looking back now, how wild would that have been to have his name mentioned alongside Branch and RMK?

He is 0-20 this year. Good lord.

Read some scuttlebutt around here that MD got screwed at IU even though he had clearly had enough. Pulled like hell for him to win #6 and he just about pulled it off. Looking back now, how wild would that have been to have his name mentioned alongside Branch and RMK?

Took the lead half way through the second half...lost his G-Damned mind and decided to press and trap Blake and F-ing Dixon. I'm sure they went to their remaining timeouts like..."Damn, that was nice of them!"

Took the lead half way through the second half...lost his G-Damned mind and decided to press and trap Blake and F-ing Dixon. I'm sure they went to their remaining timeouts like..."Damn, that was nice of them!"
The mere fact he’s 0-20 this year after coming that close to a natty is absolutely surreal.

If Coverdale was healthy, who knows.

It would have been a funny bit of history. I think some would say it was Knight’s team and MD just followed through.
MANY have said it was RMKs players. IF Coverdale would have been healthy I believe we’d have won. One question I always ask is how many 3 point shots would he have allowed Fife to take? And he became a decent shooter. Davis did allow him to shoot them.

Yep. Steve Blake was like, ok, sure! After that two point lead, Newton almost sneaked up and stole the ball from Blake for what could have been a four
point lead. I knew once Dixon made thay three pointer from that full court pressure IU would
lose.

To me, Mike Davis was defined by a handful of major instances. Some of the details may have become fuzzy, but the essence is here:

#1, saying that he just wants to be .500 on the road and then win at home.
#2, saying "I can't coach this team"
#3, Jeffrey Newton saying that MD forgot about him at the end of the bench, so he put himself back in at a critical time to help win one of the playoff games
#4, Feigning illness when Alford's Iowa club came into B-town to kick IU's a$$
#5, saying "help is on the way", which minimized the players that actually took him to the title game.

He got a gift of players with strong leadership that helped him to the NCAA Championship. The rest of his career is his true head coaching ability.

This is what happens when you hire a coach with no head coaching experience. But under Woodson we have had two players ejected only one other time in Indiana basketball history under Crean.
To be fair the rules have tightened up a lot on what is tolerated from the players. Gunn's weak little elbow move would not have gotten him ejected 10 years ago. And now-flagrant fouls for tangled arms while both players fall to the floor would at most have been a common foul back in the day.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
To be fair the rules have tightened up a lot on what is tolerated from the players. Gunn's weak little elbow move would not have gotten him ejected 10 years ago. And now-flagrant fouls for tangled arms while both players fall to the floor would at most have been a common foul back in the day.
Without replay, neither would have Johnson's johnson grab since it wasn't called on the floor!

To me, Mike Davis was defined by a handful of major instances. Some of the details may have become fuzzy, but the essence is here:

#3, Jeffrey Newton saying that MD forgot about him at the end of the bench, so he put himself back in at a critical time to help win one of the playoff games
#5, saying "help is on the way", which minimized the players that actually took him to the title game.

He got a gift of players with strong leadership that helped him to the NCAA Championship. The rest of his career is his true head coaching ability.

Cue go-iu who thinks we should have kept Davis. Must be a relative!!

And you forgot his comment about the NBA being his dream job!

The mere fact he’s 0-20 this year after coming that close to a natty is absolutely surreal.
It's surreal, but he is a decent coach, good man, and let's face it, he's not really there to win games as he is to build a culture, get good kids, and try. Have you been to Detroit in the last ten years? The movie should have been called Escape from Detroit.

Trealor coached that team Davis was a figurehead. when he got all the praise and took over without Trealor you saw what happened, he is a horrible Coach.
If there were any truth to that BS, why, just why did the players make such a fuss that either MD be named coach or they'd walk.

No axe to grind against Coach Davis. He does seem like a good man that can help kids grow. He didn't embarrass Indiana, he did the job the best he could, and not too bad as inexperienced as he was, IMO. He almost pulled it off. Made it to the title game! What a run! I wish him well.

0-20 though... OUCH! Hope he finds a way to find a way they can compete.

What did I tell you!
The very next post was a positive spin by go-iu.
AS TO BE a relative!! 😁

Him starting freshman Strickland over senior Hornsby was one for me. Things changed that season when he went away from Cov, Bracey, Kyle, Jeff & George and replaced Kyle with Strickland. Jmo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT