ADVERTISEMENT

McCullough is gone

There is not a highly toxic environment in the locker room.

Indiana has went through decades of the administration not giving a shit about football but somehow you want to place all the blame on CTA.

You can hate the guy, and he’s definitely not beyond criticism, but your anger is misguided.
Such a clown post.

Some of you are making way to big a deal of NIL. Outside the SEC and top 15 thereafter, NIL isn’t flowing. Minny, Purdue, Kansas State….a lot of decent teams aren’t buying teams. They actually have competent coaches.

We are being welcomed to CFB 22-23 and beyond. The haves are going to have a lot more because they can pay for it. But realistically there is small nucleus of teams with the FB hor$epower of the Tide, Georgia, Buckeyes, Meatchicken, Tennessee, Texas and even LSU with the very unlikable Kelly. Then a much bigger # in the 2 levels below. The grand plan in action.

What bothers me about the QB situation is that Bazelak could have shown that he is a competitor by coming into the Bucket game and performing well. It was an opportunity to show he deserved to remain a starter. Instead, he played poorly and put his name in the portal. The fact that Williams is out next season didn't change his mind.

What bothers me about the QB situation is that Bazelak could have shown that he is a competitor by coming into the Bucket game and performing well. It was an opportunity to show he deserved to remain a starter. Instead, he played poorly and put his name in the portal. The fact that Williams is out next season didn't change his mind.
I don't want to disparage the guy any further, but yeah, that's a really bad look. If he's not any more committed to the team than that, good riddance.

Program died when Allen hired bell and kept

Penix had multiple season ending injuries. Tuttle had multiple season ending injuries. Williams has had multiple season ending injuries. Donovan played quarterback for about half a season and said I'm not going to do that anymore. Basilac said I'm not going to play behind that line anymore.

Some of it is just bad luck. But we did run off a Heisman trophy candidate who would had the most successful season for Indiana in 50 years.

And we're going into another season without a quarterback.

Indiana is now losing starters. They're not losing players just looking for player in time. Perhaps they're looking for more money. Either way this is a terrible situation.

If the stories are correct that the players wanted Jack Tuttle to be the starting quarterback and then they elected in team captain... Then Tuttle announces that he is leaving and praises the players and doesn't say a word about the coaching staff.... And then Bazelak, who was Bell's guy, loses his job to a guy who completed one pass in his first game and two passes in his second game... And that was enough for Tom Allen to say we're going to convert to an offense emphasizing a running quarterback...

And now the field goal kicker, who won the Western Kentucky game with a 51 yard field goal says I'm out of here too!

Boy, that top 15 recruiting class, the best in the school's history, sure seems like it was a long time ago... When was that?

If the premise that he left for NIL reasons is true, we can give a pass to CTA on this one because he really doesn't have much control over that, he would gladly have paid for Dasan to stay if Indiana had any NIL money. Again, I'm not going to say whether the NIL reason is true or not because I have no idea, but we'll just say it is for the sake of the argument.

Allen does deserve flack for losing AJ Barner and Malachi Holt-Bennett though, I don't believe either has performed well enough to get NIL deals or "transfer up" like McCullough presumably will. If I had to guess now, I think Barner will land at a lower/mid tier P5 program and MHB will land at a lower P5/upper GO5 school, and who knows if they will win the starting job at their new schools. The fact that both are leaving a starting role at a Indiana considering their options, that's a serious concern.
I am waiting to hear Bell is fired for a number of reasons but not using TEs in the middle of the passing game is a big one. Barner got two passes in the MSU OT that Bell never ran before after. Not using a talented TE in the passing game except for the flats is probably why Barner is leaving.

Some of you are making way to big a deal of NIL. Outside the SEC and top 15 thereafter, NIL isn’t flowing. Minny, Purdue, Kansas State….a lot of decent teams aren’t buying teams. They actually have competent coaches.

K State just had a player get a Porsche in his NIL deal.

They also just paid for 3 players tuition through NIL deals.

Minnesota reported a total of 225 NIL deals through all sports, with football accounting for 18% of that total but 30% of the money dispersed. I couldn't find how much they've given out.

Purdue sucks. That's as much research as I'm doing on them.

You were proven wrong just a few minutes ago by Baller23Boogie. NIL is a big deal even for other schools while IU just putters along.

Reactions: red hornet
You were proven wrong just a few minutes ago by Baller23Boogie. NIL is a big deal even for other schools while IU just putters along.
Actually that article didn’t prove much in my opinion (if anything it supported ce36’s point). The article said that MN football players got 30% of the cash but didn’t say what that represented, or how big the pool was, but then went on to mention micky mouse 2k deals (ie I don’t think that the 30% going to MN football players was all that much money).

I agree with the original poster that outside of the top 15 and SEC teams that NIL doesnt mean that much in that the rest of the schools don’t need the ridiculous amount of OSU/Texas money. The low-mid tier schools do, however, need something and IU does indeed need to have alumni putting together NIL deals to hit that threshold. As an example it’s probably a big deal for a 3* OL to get 15-20k as opposed to zero. The 5* OL, however, might get 200-600k but they have always been out of our league anyway.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I see that the kid from Western Kentucky, Austin Reed, is in the portal. I liked him when he played us. Had a critical INT when they should have just kicked it through for 3, taken the points and they never would have lost.

In the McCullough deal:
It’s my understanding that with the departure of Fickell, Daeh McCullough then flipped to OU and Dasan is expected to join him.

I mean, we do have to accept that in 19 of 20 years(or more), ND has a better football team than IU, and there's significantly more $ in the ND football program than there are at IU. I don't know if DMC received a pay raise, but he probably did. I have a ton of issues with CTA, but I really don't think there's much he could've done to keep DMC around other than a way better record in 2021. I don't even think firing Hiller would've been enough to keep him around after the 2-10 season and once he left, his sons were destined to follow.
Definitely a pay raise to ND but it was a lateral move in terms of role although to a far prestigious school. I think McCullough is after an OC job that he will eventually parlay into a head coaching gig. I do believe McCullough would have stayed had Allen named him OC and given him full reign of the offense like he did with Bell. Guessing it's better coaching RB's at ND than it is at IU and for that I would agree.

Reactions: Tegray1
lol that's oddly specific, not that I would doubt it, he will obviously get NIL money wherever he goes, but what's your source on that info?
That's the rumor on the other site. IU NIL company told him Yes and he still left.

It was reported yesterday and I have heard from someone else the Hoosiers For Good 1 million dollar match is going very well and they are already close to matching it. Her is the link if you are interested.

Definitely a pay raise to ND but it was a lateral move in terms of role although to a far prestigious school. I think McCullough is after an OC job that he will eventually parlay into a head coaching gig. I do believe McCullough would have stayed had Allen named him OC and given him full reign of the offense like he did with Bell. Guessing it's better coaching RB's at ND than it is at IU and for that I would agree.
I'm honestly okay with Allen not giving DMC the OC position. Obviously DMC is a great coach and having Dasan+Daeh for a couple more years would've been nice, if CTA had an offensive background and could call the plays it would be a different story, but if there's one thing CTA has shown over the last 2 years, it's that he doesn't have a clue how to run an offense.

Even though DMC obviously knows how an offense should function, play calling is a totally different beast and Allen had just fired Sheridan(who also had no experience calling plays prior to being promoted to OC), it would've been pretty bold to go back to a first time play caller, and even though we all have our issues with Bell, he has plenty of calling plays for an offense.

I'm honestly okay with Allen not giving DMC the OC position. Obviously DMC is a great coach and having Dasan+Daeh for a couple more years would've been nice, if CTA had an offensive background and could call the plays it would be a different story, but if there's one thing CTA has shown over the last 2 years, it's that he doesn't have a clue how to run an offense.

Even though DMC obviously knows how an offense should function, play calling is a totally different beast and Allen had just fired Sheridan(who also had no experience calling plays prior to being promoted to OC), it would've been pretty bold to go back to a first time play caller, and even though we all have our issues with Bell, he has plenty of calling plays for an offense.
It was definitely a pick your poison type deal, but while Bell definitely has the play-calling experience over DMC, I'm not sure it was a big enough hire to warrant running off your best recruiter who also happened to be the father of two very high prized recruits.

Reactions: ESalum86
It was definitely a pick your poison type deal, but while Bell definitely has the play-calling experience over DMC, I'm not sure it was a big enough hire to warrant running off your best recruiter who also happened to be the father of two very high prized recruits.
True, but honestly who even knows if DMC wants to be a playcaller. He may want his next step to be a non-playcalling OC like KW was at OSU and then make the move to HC. If that was his logic, then there really was nothing Allen could've done to keep him around. That's all speculation so Ig we'll never know how close DMC was to staying.

But RB's coach really isn't a very valuable assistant in general, obviously DMC recruited better athletes than Johnson, (Jaylin Lucas's athleticism is single-handedly responsible for three of our TD's this season) but the running game has so much to do with the O-line as we've seen from the abysmal results under the last 3 RB's coaches.

As for his sons, I'm not going to say his sons wouldn't have been valuable parts of our defense for the next three-four years, but outside of Dasan turning into an insane edge rusher(which I suppose still could happen), one or two guys won't drastically improve the results of the unit as a whole. There were so many snaps I watched offenses completely take Dasan out of the play like it was nothing and I really don't think Daeh is in the class of Dasan where the coaches are saying "this kid is so talented, we've just gotta get him on the field". Daeh would've needed some coaching up and I don't really trust our staff to get him to the point where he'd be an elite difference maker in the secondary.

All that to say, we might just disagree, but I don't think the benefits outweighed the risks of promoting DMC to OC.

True, but honestly who even knows if DMC wants to be a playcaller. He may want his next step to be a non-playcalling OC like KW was at OSU and then make the move to HC. If that was his logic, then there really was nothing Allen could've done to keep him around. That's all speculation so Ig we'll never know how close DMC was to staying.

But RB's coach really isn't a very valuable assistant in general, obviously DMC recruited better athletes than Johnson, (Jaylin Lucas's athleticism is single-handedly responsible for three of our TD's this season) but the running game has so much to do with the O-line as we've seen from the abysmal results under the last 3 RB's coaches.

As for his sons, I'm not going to say his sons wouldn't have been valuable parts of our defense for the next three-four years, but outside of Dasan turning into an insane edge rusher(which I suppose still could happen), one or two guys won't drastically improve the results of the unit as a whole. There were so many snaps I watched offenses completely take Dasan out of the play like it was nothing and I really don't think Daeh is in the class of Dasan where the coaches are saying "this kid is so talented, we've just gotta get him on the field". Daeh would've needed some coaching up and I don't really trust our staff to get him to the point where he'd be an elite difference maker in the secondary.

All that to say, we might just disagree, but I don't think the benefits outweighed the risks of promoting DMC to OC.
I think you're naïve if you only think Deland had a hand in recruiting RB's.

Reactions: mk30
I think you're naïve if you only think Deland had a hand in recruiting RB's.
He's obviously another intelligent football mind in the coaches room, but IMO RBs coach is the least important full time assistant on most FB teams, no matter who holds the position. It's not like there's any result you can point to in 2021 and say "Deland came in and X improved" other than changing athletes in the room. Johnson, DMC, and Hart may have had different drills they thought were more important to emphasize, and their rotation may have differed slightly but by and large, RB is a pretty straightforward position to coach. Maybe DMC would've been more effective as an OC. But I highly doubt that, especially if he didn't have a choice of who his O-line coach would be going into 2021, which was seemingly the case with Bell.

He's obviously another intelligent football mind in the coaches room, but IMO RBs coach is the least important full time assistant on most FB teams, no matter who holds the position. It's not like there's any result you can point to in 2021 and say "Deland came in and X improved" other than changing athletes in the room. Johnson, DMC, and Hart may have had different drills they thought were more important to emphasize, and their rotation may have differed slightly but by and large, RB is a pretty straightforward position to coach. Maybe DMC would've been more effective as an OC. But I highly doubt that, especially if he didn't have a choice of who his O-line coach would be going into 2021, which was seemingly the case with Bell.
Deland's contributions to the program were much more than that of a position coach. Deland's re-hiring coincided with the single best recruiting class (at least on paper) in program history. I don't believe that to be a coincidence either.

Deland's contributions to the program were much more than that of a position coach. Deland's re-hiring coincided with the single best recruiting class (at least on paper) in program history. I don't believe that to be a coincidence either.
IMO you're giving him too much credit for recruiting, if you take out literally just his son, the recruiting class is on par with 2021 from an average recruiting rankings standpoint. Obviously DMC had something to do with his son committing, but it's not something he can replicate year after year. Point being, he is not getting credit from me for landing a commitment from Dasan and i've already said he's an above average recruiter.

But again, he recruited the running back room and his sons, that's it. Him being able to recruit his position well doesn't correlate at all with how he would've been as a play caller, which is what he would've had to be if he was OC. You don't give a guy play calling duties because he is an above average recruiter.

It boils down to NIL - any school can suddenly jump up and get top level talent if they have a huge NIL program. It doesn’t mean the team will be good, and some top schools (think Ohio State) won’t necessarily improve much as they are paying just to retain their pipeline of top talent. But if IU is going to compete, they at least have to play the football NIL game. It’s a big “ask” for a program with a long history of falling short.

It’s approaching DiNardo level futility and that’s the worst I can recall the program being in over 60 years of watching IU football. 1-11 is not out of the realm next year.

Trying to predict any kind of record in December is stupid considering we aren't even remotely close to knowing how any single roster will look like in college football.

Trying to predict any kind of record in December is stupid considering we aren't even remotely close to knowing how any single roster will look like in college football.
I guess I just follow trends. Can't see too many guys jumping at the opportunity to play for a lame duck coach who is only here because he's too expensive to fire. We land a blue chip QB, some veteran offensive lineman, a couple WR who can create separation, multiple edge rushers, on top of safety help, it may change my mind. Until then, put me down for skeptical.

I guess I just follow trends. Can't see too many guys jumping at the opportunity to play for a lame duck coach who is only here because he's too expensive to fire. We land a blue chip QB, some veteran offensive lineman, a couple WR who can create separation, multiple edge rushers, on top of safety help, it may change my mind. Until then, put me down for skeptical.

Being sceptical is fine.

Predicting 1 win in December when the roster isn't remotely set is being disingenuous, especially with Akron and Indiana State on the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT