ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of courage…Discouraged and Encouraged

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Discouraged that we didn’t handle their intensity, the refs, etc… better for the last 12 minutes or so of the 1st half.

Discouraged we shut down and stopped guarding them, and allowed them to swing the ball around basically unencumbered during that stretch.

Discouraged we made so many bad turnovers the last 5 minutes or so when all we needed to do was run it though TJD, and make the simple passes.

The rest was encouraging. The start of the game wasn’t bad. We got good shots. We defended them well. If not for Audige going off early via some tough 3s…we have built a little nice lead early.

This team continues to show resiliency. It’s so encouraging to see us battle back, against a good team playing well, in their gym, against the officiating.

TJD is so special. Not sure if they acknowledged it, but he was stiff early in this game. He turned it on, and the team followed suit.

We ran good stuff and we defended well, for the most par coming down the stretch. There were exceptions to that on both ends. But I think Woody did a fine job coaching them into a position to win.

Hate that we lost. But very encouraged with where we’re at. I think the turnaround has staying power. We’ll win more than we lose coming home. And if X can come back…it just feels like this team has the moxie to do some things in March.

Discouraged that we didn’t handle their intensity, the refs, etc… better for the last 12 minutes or so of the 1st half.

Discouraged we shut down and stopped guarding them, and allowed them to swing the ball around basically unencumbered during that stretch.

Discouraged we made so many bad turnovers the last 5 minutes or so when all we needed to do was run it though TJD, and make the simple passes.

The rest was encouraging. The start of the game wasn’t bad. We got good shots. We defended them well. If not for Audige going off early via some tough 3s…we have built a little nice lead early.

This team continues to show resiliency. It’s so encouraging to see us battle back, against a good team playing well, in their gym, against the officiating.

TJD is so special. Not sure if they acknowledged it, but he was stiff early in this game. He turned it on, and the team followed suit.

We ran good stuff and we defended well, for the most par coming down the stretch. There were exceptions to that on both ends. But I think Woody did a fine job coaching them into a position to win.

Hate that we lost. But very encouraged with where we’re at. I think the turnaround has staying power. We’ll win more than we lose coming home. And if X can come back…it just feels like this team has the moxie to do some things in March.
Just get to 10-10 or 11-9.. It sounds easy. Looks easy. But will be a dog fight to get there it seems like.

Just can’t let this emotional loss carry over to Saturday. But you’re right, this team is tough and has grit written all over them. I think Woodson has shown over the course of this run that he’s capable of making the necessary adjustments to counter any blow.

Reactions: kkott
The bench needs to bring something to the table.

Bates getting decent minutes has to be a drag for Gunn/Banks. He’s stinking up the gym.
Agree. Bates has been given plenty of opportunities to prove he is not the answer. Even if they stink up the place at times too, time to let the youngsters learn.

Bates has literally played 5-6 good games since he's been here. The rest have been neutral to very bad.

I'm glad I resisted the urge to stop watching and go to bed. I was curious how we were going to respond coming out of the locker room after the half. Needless to say, I generally liked what I saw that second half. This team competes, following TJD and JHS. I just hope CMW finds a way to make offensive adjustments earlier when we have these sluggish starts.

20 points (barely) in the first half is nothing to be encouraged by in a one-and-done situation.

Northwestern literally has one guy (maybe two) that would start on our team, yet they got us down by 17-21 points TWICE this year.

We've got one absolute stud and then a bunch of guys that may or may not rise to the occasion. And again, in a one and done situation, that's a recipe for St. Mary's Vol. 2.

Reactions: IU FAN IN W. NC
20 points (barely) in the first half is nothing to be encouraged by in a one-and-done situation.

Northwestern literally has one guy (maybe two) that would start on our team, yet they got us down by 17-21 points TWICE this year.

We've got one absolute stud and then a bunch of guys that may or may not rise to the occasion. And again, in a one and done situation, that's a recipe for St. Mary's Vol. 2.
Would have loved a Xavier/Buie matchup this year. Maybe we get it in the BTT? 2 vs 3 in the semi's?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Bates getting decent minutes has to be a drag for Gunn/Banks. He’s stinking up the gym.
Our bench guys play with zero confidence..
Maybe Reneau..But he's sporadic.
Bates throws the ball ..Insted of shooting it..
J.G. ..He about needs to dunk everything to be productive..
If we had one guy who wasn't even athletic.. But could give us two three's from TJD double team's..
We'd have a little help then..

IU didn’t quit and TJD proved again that he can take a team on his back and take over a game.

Lots of talk here about the officiating, but we had a foul to give late in the 2nd (granted the game was extremely physical, but they weren’t calling fouls on us in the 2nd). Lots of terrible calls throughout, though (ie that one foul on Bates, the missed goal tending).

33 three attempts for NU? Most seemed like good shots. Man that side of WRA had a lid on the basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU
the second half was encouraging. We lost the game between the 12:00 and 4:00 marks of the first half. Some of the worst IU ball I've seen in the past 2 decades.

Our bench gave us nothing. Even Reneau was a non factor. JG and Bates....their lack of road production is killing us.

IU didn’t quit and TJD proved again that he can take a team on his back and take over a game.

Lots of talk here about the officiating, but we had a foul to give late in the 2nd (granted the game was extremely physical, but they weren’t calling fouls on us in the 2nd). Lots of terrible calls throughout, though (ie that one foul on Bates, the missed goal tending).

33 three attempts for NU? Most seemed like good shots. Man that side of WRA had a lid on the basket.
We had 6 team fouls. Used it after JHS made basket to cut the lead to 2. NW couldn't run the baseline on the inbound which lead to the steal and TJD make to tie it.

Reactions: InvisibleHoosier
We had 6 team fouls. Used it after JHS made basket to cut the lead to 2. NW couldn't run the baseline on the inbound which lead to the steal and TJD make to tie it.
Nu should have used a TO on that inbounds. It seemed (to me) a desperation pass to avoid 5 sec violation.

Lots of terrible calls throughout, though (ie that one foul on Bates, the missed goal tending).
the first foul on Bates (stole ball in the lane) is a fireable offense, especially considering the shit the zebras were allowing in the lane and on endless moving high screens. They showed the replay and I could not understand what the ref thought he saw.

2 T's really hurt resulting in 4 made FT's being the difference between winning and losing. I'm a pro Woodson but he needs to give the boys a day off for that miscue.

Hell, they even showed him bricking up multiple 10fters in pregame warmups! TB needs to transfer to a D2-3 college and focus more on his education!

2 T's really hurt resulting in 4 made FT's being the difference between winning and losing. I'm a pro Woodson but he needs to give the boys a day off for that miscue.
Who was the first T on? I could fathom a guess, but wasn’t sure if it was mentioned somewhere?

the first foul on Bates (stole ball in the lane) is a fireable offense, especially considering the shit the zebras were allowing in the lane and on endless moving high screens. They showed the replay and I could not understand what the ref thought he saw.
It was a horrible call. I'm certain the call came as a result of Bates slightly grabbing or tugging on the guys jersey with his off hand, before the pass was even made. The ref mimicked Bates pulling at the player if I remember right. It was so minor, and before the pass was even made...but I'm sure that's what caused the whistle.

I have to admit, I think its incredibly rare that officials are ever actually biased for or against teams. Larry Siracha, or whatever his name is...I prefer Guido...he challenges that thought for me, as literally every single IU game he works, there are numerous questionable calls against IU. But by and large, I don't think refs are out there favoring anyone.

I do think B10 officials are very inconsistent. Game to game, and within games. And I think more often than not, they allow, even reward at times, teams that play overly physical. I guess you have to give NW credit for playing that way if the refs are going to allow it. And I'm sure NW fans will reference the fairly even foul calls. But in a game where NW could have been called for hacks, grabs, moving screens, over the backs, multiple times in most possessions...that argument is pretty weak. The foul tally, if the game had been called straight up, and if NW continued to play that way all game, would have been NW 50-60 fouls, IU 20 or so.

There's also a foul call fatigue that happens when refs allow teams to play how NW does. Since they're doing it multiple times, every possession, they naturally start to get away with it more. But if their opponent plays more traditionally, you know with the rules of basketball at least slightly in mind...when they do become more physical, it stands out more, and they get called for it.

This is very prevalent in AAU ball. If the refs don't handle it early in the game, they have very little chance of calling a fair game.

He thought he saw Bates hold the guy up with his other hand. It didn't happen, but that's what he thought he saw.

I do think B10 officials are very inconsistent. Game to game, and within games. And I think more often than not, they allow, even reward at times, teams that play overly physical. I guess you have to give NW credit for playing that way if the refs are going to allow it. And I'm sure NW fans will reference the fairly even foul calls. But in a game where NW could have been called for hacks, grabs, moving screens, over the backs, multiple times in most possessions...that argument is pretty weak. The foul tally, if the game had been called straight up, and if NW continued to play that way all game, would have been NW 50-60 fouls, IU 20 or so.

There's also a foul call fatigue that happens when refs allow teams to play how NW does. Since they're doing it multiple times, every possession, they naturally start to get away with it more. But if their opponent plays more traditionally, you know with the rules of basketball at least slightly in mind...when they do become more physical, it stands out more, and they get called for it.
Which is why I believe the technical foul from the bench was necessary. If NW was allowed to do what they did for the first 10 minutes or so of regulation without repercussion IU didn't have a prayer. Hindsight those points proved costly but IU needed that whistle in the second half. They were able to run their offense much more freely after they made half time adjustments without the constant grabbing and hacking.

The bottom line is that our team is made up of one AA and 12 basketball bums. Nice guys personally, but no one on this team is worth watching other than TJD.

You say what about JHS? BT HM at best. You can't throw a pass over the backboard and be taken seriously.

Galloway? Has tread marks on his back from the NW guards running past him. 50% shooter on 3s, takes 2 a game.

Kopp? Seriously?

Race? Next.

Nobody blocks out. Everybody but TJD throws soft passes at bad angles. Nobody shot fakes.

Reactions: bailey777
The bottom line is that our team is made up of one AA and 12 basketball bums. Nice guys personally, but no one on this team is worth watching other than TJD.

You say what about JHS? BT HM at best. You can't throw a pass over the backboard and be taken seriously.

Galloway? Has tread marks on his back from the NW guards running past him. 50% shooter on 3s, takes 2 a game.

Kopp? Seriously?

Race? Next.

Nobody blocks out. Everybody but TJD throws soft passes at bad angles. Nobody shot fakes.
Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

Kopp? Seriously?

Race? Next.

Just an horrific take.

Kopp? Seriously?

Race? Next.

We have one all star, one pretty good guard and three role players. We have no bench at all Malik sometimes is ok but the rest of them are basically worthless. In theory X could help some if he comes back but who knows there is not alot of season left. I still think we likely finish 11-9 or 12-8 is best case.. I do not see us winning at Purdue or MS.

Kopp? Seriously?

Race? Next.

Are block outs and shot fakes allowed anymore? Further more... can you still shot a basketball off of the backboard? These basic fundamentals have been lost on IU for many, many years and it is so aggravating, that I don't watch nearly as many games as before.

I know that sounds like I am old, but what is fun about watching some dunks, 20-30% of shots being made because they are threes, and a bunch of missed bunnies rolling around the rim because they didn't go with the higher percentage of using the backboard? F' man, Indiana used to score 80 to 90 points with less than 5 threes. That was fun.

Couple that with a bunch of grabbing, hacking, floundering and poor officiating... hardly watchable.

Just can’t let this emotional loss carry over to Saturday. But you’re right, this team is tough and has grit written all over them. I think Woodson has shown over the course of this run that he’s capable of making the necessary adjustments to counter any blow.
I'm not so sure, does this not look like the exact same team that got blown out of the building by nuns last year. i think it does, there's not really any progress than the rest of the league getting worse. That is not progress, nor is getting nearly blown out by NW twice, and swept. Suppose they can answer for that, but if they cn't, we got the same shitty team from last year, and who is supposed to get excited about that? Might stand to figure if you play te same team, it will be the same team, just call me crazy?

I'm not so sure, does this not look like the exact same team that got blown out of the building by nuns last year. i think it does, there's not really any progress than the rest of the league getting worse. That is not progress, nor is getting nearly blown out by NW twice, and swept. Suppose they can answer for that, but if they cn't, we got the same shitty team from last year, and who is supposed to get excited about that? Might stand to figure if you play te same team, it will be the same team, just call me crazy?
No it does not look like the same team as last year. Not even close.

Overreacting Episode 2 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I chalk that up to being a freshman. Inconsistent. Excitable. Yes that lob was ridiculous but he can also make brilliant no look passes, and is a shooting threat anywhere on the floor. He was a couple inches off on the game winning shot from half court.

I chalk that up to being a freshman. Inconsistent. Excitable. Yes that lob was ridiculous but he can also make brilliant no look passes, and is a shooting threat anywhere on the floor. He was a couple inches off on the game winning shot from half court.
And you knew he was going to come down and score the next possession after the error. He's done that repeatedly.

Really??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT