ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn matchup thoughts

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Broome vs Ware will be a fun one to watch, when they're on each other. Neither player, or their teammates for that matter, are used to either of them not being really, really good. So if one of them controls the other, that team likely has a big advantage tomorrow. They also have other solid players with size, so both Ware and Malik will have their hands full, which hasn't been the case in many games thus far.

Another key will be how well Auburn shoots it from the 3. They take a lot of them, over 23 attempts per game. And they have some streaky guys capable of making them in bunches. But overall, they haven't been a great shooting team. They do rebound their misses well, however.

So how well we contest their outside shots, then how well we rebound their misses will determine if we're competitive in this game or not.

I think Auburn is likely only a small level below UConn, and quite a lot better than anyone else we've played.

I'm glad, impressed even, that we're 2-0 to start the B10...but we're going to have to play A LOT better tomorrow than we have in any game yet this year, to beat Auburn.

The good thing is we've been seeing improvements every game since the NYC games. If Malik and Ware are able to continue playing well against Auburns front line, and if we continue to show improvements defensively, I'm sure it'll be a competitive game. Can't wait to see it play out!

Things I don't want to see verse Auburn.

Keys to victory.

1. Ware and Reneau picking up early ticky tack fouls.

2. Gallo standing 6 ft outside of the 3 pt line flat footed trying to feed the post in a stagnant offensive set.

3. Being slow or unaware and getting beat to the 50/50 loose balls and rebounds.

4. Guards/wings not blocking out when Auburn jacks up 3s.

5. Careless passing/catching/dribbling turnovers that lead to easy Auburn run-outs and points.

6. Not locating Auburn players that run to the 3 pt line for easy transition 3s.

7. Sparks/Gallo? on the free throw line.

8. A ref crew that dominates the game with terrible calls.

9. Walker baited into shooting any 3s.

10. Any guard struggles verse any sort of press/pressure Auburn throws at us.

11. Struggling to get an entry pass to Ware when he calls for it at the elbow or in the post.

Last edited:

Keys to victory.

1. Ware and Reneau picking up early ticky tack fouls.

2. Gallo standing 6 ft outside of the 3 pt line flat footed trying to feed the post in a stagnant offensive set.

3. Being slow or unaware and getting beat to the 50/50 loose balls and rebounds.

4. Guards/wings not blocking out when Auburn jacks up 3s.

5. Careless passing/catching/dribbling turnovers that lead to easy Auburn run-outs and points.

6. Not locating Auburn players that run to the 3 pt line for easy transition 3s.

7. Sparks/Gallo? on the free throw line.

8. A ref crew that dominates the game with terrible calls.

9. Walker baited into shooting any 3s.

10. Any guard struggles verse any sort of press/pressure Auburn throws at us.

11. Struggling to get an entry pass to Ware when he calls for it at the elbow or in the post.
Good keys...

4,5,6 probably will determine whether the game is competitive or not, as much as anything else.

Reactions: h20pls
I would try packing it in and give up the three attempts. They can kill you inside so pack it in and look for offensive fouls and make them hit from outside. Maybe time to resurrect the zone along with blocking out.

I didn’t see the Appalachian State game-just Virginia Tech.
Bruce Pearl is given the benefit of the doubt more times than not, but I did watch a little bit of the Auburn game during halftime of the Colts game and they looked awful. Broome was the only competent player on the court and he had some foul trouble. App State went zone and Auburn looked like they had no clue what they were doing until about 5 minutes left when they got down 10 points.

We held Michigan to their season low made 3s. That's a tremendous improvement and bodes well against Auburn. I'd say keeping Ware and Malik out of foul trouble is key. This will be their biggest defensive challenge inside the paint so far. But I actually feel really good about our ability to compete against Auburn.

Cupps needs to cut down on the little mistakes. Don’t pick up his dribble too early, don’t put passes in a bad position for the player receiving the pass, don’t get lost on switches and have to recover, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hatchets7times
Cupps needs to cut down on the little mistakes. Don’t pick up his dribble too really, don’t put passes in a bad position for the player receiving the pass, don’t get lost on switches, etc.
he also needs to create a little of his own O and take some shots. right now he is so concerned with being a facilitator (which is to be expected). But he needs to make sure the opposing D has to worry about him - if nothing other than to keep the floor spaced.

he also needs to create a little of his own O and take some shots. right now he is so concerned with being a facilitator (which is to be expected). But he needs to make sure the opposing D has to worry about him - if nothing other than to keep the floor spaced.
Yes! He is allowing pressure to force him into starting the offense too high. He is going to have to start attacking that occasionally to get himself into the paint. He has to make them respect his ability to penetrate. Otherwise, he is going to continue to be swarmed. And that stalls the offense.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I would guess that he's doing (or trying to do) exactly what CMW is asking him to do. He's a freshman still adjusting to the step up in the college game. He will be making some mistakes.

Bruce Pearl is given the benefit of the doubt more times than not, but I did watch a little bit of the Auburn game during halftime of the Colts game and they looked awful. Broome was the only competent player on the court and he had some foul trouble. App State went zone and Auburn looked like they had no clue what they were doing until about 5 minutes left when they got down 10 points.
Holloway can be a pretty darn good guard. KD Johnson is a ball of fire. He's been pretty bad this year offensively, but he is a wrecking ball and very disruptive defensively. And then they have quite a lot of long, athletic length on the wings and inside.

Don't know if this was posted but man I love Pearl he wanted IU job before and has nothing but great things to say about Indiana and the fans.

Reactions: kmathum
Broome vs Ware will be a fun one to watch, when they're on each other. Neither player, or their teammates for that matter, are used to either of them not being really, really good. So if one of them controls the other, that team likely has a big advantage tomorrow. They also have other solid players with size, so both Ware and Malik will have their hands full, which hasn't been the case in many games thus far.

Another key will be how well Auburn shoots it from the 3. They take a lot of them, over 23 attempts per game. And they have some streaky guys capable of making them in bunches. But overall, they haven't been a great shooting team. They do rebound their misses well, however.

So how well we contest their outside shots, then how well we rebound their misses will determine if we're competitive in this game or not.

I think Auburn is likely only a small level below UConn, and quite a lot better than anyone else we've played.

I'm glad, impressed even, that we're 2-0 to start the B10...but we're going to have to play A LOT better tomorrow than we have in any game yet this year, to beat Auburn.

The good thing is we've been seeing improvements every game since the NYC games. If Malik and Ware are able to continue playing well against Auburns front line, and if we continue to show improvements defensively, I'm sure it'll be a competitive game. Can't wait to see it play out!
The question is do you believe? I love our grit and toughness.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
I have no idea do I think so no but we're living in a area of NIL things are diffrent. To think there are not winks and handshakes that go on at every college we all we be stupid not to think so.
There are people who do things the right way. Everyone is not slime.

Reactions: IndyGlen
It's versus or vs.

Regarding your list, and apart from Galloway clanking some shots in an otherwise solid outing, almost none of your listed fears were on display in the game against Michigan. Ware got an early whistle and there were far too many TOs in the first half, but for a first true hostile road game and one in Conference play, IU looked like much improved, particularly in the second half.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I have no idea do I think so no but we're living in a area of NIL things are diffrent. To think there are not winks and handshakes that go on at every college we all we be stupid not to think so.
The part about you having "no idea" is spot - your stupidity was irrefutably established long ago irrespective of what you think or say about Woodson, winks and handshakes.

Reactions: sglowrider
Rewatching the extended IU/MI highlights, appears IU is going to have a very gritty defense even without Xavier (again). Gunn for all his shooting woes, is quick and tenacious, Banks is similar but longer and able to do much that eluded Geronimo, and Cupps is an undersized natural who may occasionally get beat off the dribble but never gets lost or gives up on plays. Reneau seems to be committing far fewer fouls and Sparks and Walker have obviously been doing this a while. Still waiting to see how good Ware can be but no complaints about his play thus far. Collectively along with Galloway and Mgbako, the switching against MI was pretty crisp/seamless and the earlier lapses in perimeter D were never really an issue. Overall just a much tougher and more cohesive effort, perhaps their best of the Season, and trending in the right direction.

Offensively am impressed by Malik's progress - very shifty and resourceful in the lane, threat to drive and pop from deep, and beginning to look for outlets against help defense. Still improving and going to be a big part of whatever success IU has in Conference. Have to like Walker and Sparks, pretty solid on both ends even if they never start, Ware has incredible touch and Mackenzie appears to be coming around. Biggest failing thus far is backcourt production but if Galloway can regain his form from last year and Gunn and Cupps (maybe Leal?) can add something IU won't have to be so reliant on interior offense. Presently appears a packline-type D or a 2-3 zone could really challenge IU's ability to score.

Last year Woodson played a lot of what I termed his "guts" line-up late in tight games (most of them). Against MI that was Galloway, Ware, Reneau and Gunn & Cupps (!). Cupps was subbed in around the 5-minute mark for Mgbako and Woodson rode those five the rest of the way. Draw your own conclusions about that but tells me Coach presently considers that IU's best defensive line-up (and/or that he felt it was the best line-up against MI at that point). Kudos to CJ & Gabe (that growling in the background is Kaleb, Mgbako, Anthony and Payton jonzing for those minutes). Didn't see that coming, don't know/expect it to stay that way, but rather intriguing.

It's versus or vs.

Excerpt for the message board grammar nazi.

The use of the verb “verse” to mean compete has made it into only one of the standard dictionaries we usually check, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see it in others.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (5th ed.) describes the usage as slang, and says it means “to play against (an opponent) in a competition.”

Must handle their pressure during rhe first 5-6 minutes of game (Cupps/Galloway). If IU can do that then I can see it being a close game. Definately a game where X is badly needed. Will be interesting.

Excerpt for the message board grammar nazi.

The use of the verb “verse” to mean compete has made it into only one of the standard dictionaries we usually check, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see it in others.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (5th ed.) describes the usage as slang, and says it means “to play against (an opponent) in a competition.”
"Nazi"? Flock you. Stick it up your ass - way up there until you choke.

No idea who you imagine "we" is, but be surprised because AMDEL's acknowledgement of/pandering to an ignorant and sloppy excuse for English isn't echoed by Collins, Merriam, Oxford, Webster's or anyone else.

No idea who you imagine "we" is, but be surprised because AMDEL's acknowledgement of/pandering to an ignorant and sloppy excuse for English isn't echoed by Collins, Merriam, Oxford, Webster's or anyone else.

Take your medicine, come back in 45 minutes.

Rewatching the extended IU/MI highlights, appears IU is going to have a very gritty defense even without Xavier (again). Gunn for all his shooting woes, is quick and tenacious, Banks is similar but longer and able to do much that eluded Geronimo, and Cupps is an undersized natural who may occasionally get beat off the dribble but never gets lost or gives up on plays. Reneau seems to be committing far fewer fouls and Sparks and Walker have obviously been doing this a while. Still waiting to see how good Ware can be but no complaints about his play thus far. Collectively along with Galloway and Mgbako, the switching against MI was pretty crisp/seamless and the earlier lapses in perimeter D were never really an issue. Overall just a much tougher and more cohesive effort, perhaps their best of the Season, and trending in the right direction.

Offensively am impressed by Malik's progress - very shifty and resourceful in the lane, threat to drive and pop from deep, and beginning to look for outlets against help defense. Still improving and going to be a big part of whatever success IU has in Conference. Have to like Walker and Sparks, pretty solid on both ends even if they never start, Ware has incredible touch and Mackenzie appears to be coming around. Biggest failing thus far is backcourt production but if Galloway can regain his form from last year and Gunn and Cupps (maybe Leal?) can add something IU won't have to be so reliant on interior offense. Presently appears a packline-type D or a 2-3 zone could really challenge IU's ability to score.

Last year Woodson played a lot of what I termed his "guts" line-up late in tight games (most of them). Against MI that was Galloway, Ware, Reneau and Gunn & Cupps (!). Cupps was subbed in around the 5-minute mark for Mgbako and Woodson rode those five the rest of the way. Draw your own conclusions about that but tells me Coach presently considers that IU's best defensive line-up (and/or that he felt it was the best line-up against MI at that point). Kudos to CJ & Gabe (that growling in the background is Kaleb, Mgbako, Anthony and Payton jonzing for those minutes). Didn't see that coming, don't know/expect it to stay that way, but rather intriguing.
Captured and presented well.

Really like Gabe’s progress thus far, the silver lining to X being out. I would like to see Woody switch more for him as he will generally be chasing superior athletes.

Reactions: kmathum
Captured and presented well.

Really like Gabe’s progress thus far, the silver lining to X being out. I would like to see Woody switch more for him as he will generally be chasing superior athletes.
Now if IU can just get some points out of him...

According to Woodson yesterday: "I don't know yet. Right now he's rehabbing, and hopefully he'll be back here in the near future. That's all I can give you right now."
I don’t think we’ll see X until January. If he’s not ready for Kansas, then might as well make sure he’s fully recovered.

Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT