ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

You guys in West Lafayette can’t read. He’s a future Physics major. Trey is not a 3. He may play at the 3 for some stretch in games. He’s a classic stretch 4. I’m close to betting the farm he’s IU bound.
I havent read anything about his interest in physics. I just know he is in a STEM school system. Are you really that sure in your bet? I mean kids surprise us all the time...although he does seem smarter than many. The suspense will be over in a week. The only thing we might agree on is that Purdue, IU and Virginia all have a shot. Would Physics interest lean to Purdue or IU? Bottom line, none of us know at this time what a person might do in a week from now and we all know he would look good playing for our school choice. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I havent read anything about his interest in physics. I just know he is in a STEM school system. Are you really that sure in your bet? I mean kids surprise us all the time...although he does seem smarter than many. The suspense will be over in a week. The only thing we might agree on is that Purdue, IU and Virginia all have a shot. Would Physics interest lean to Purdue or IU? Bottom line, none of us know at this time what a person might do in a week from now and we all know he would look good playing for our school choice. ;)
Not good at research in northwest Indiana either....

Reactions: tjreese
Not good at research in northwest Indiana either....
As I said...I only knew his school was a STEM school. Physics is tough...very tough. Wasn't unusual for A students prior to Purdue to get C's at Purdue. Course that was years ago and things may have changed...although gradeinflation.com used to show little inflation for Purdue "overall". He is a sought after player that many would like...not just due to his physical skills, but what appears to be a level headed person that is well grounded.

One thing for sure is fans of one school will be disappointed and the other school fanswill be very happy in just a few days. Another thing is that you will NOT see me coming over here and gloating should he announce for Purdue. IU will have talent as well. Be sure to look me up after the announcement if you wish and hand out a beating to me since I think he will announced for Purdue. I also hear there are rumblings down south saying the same thing...course it could be bad rumors. Now for the football game minus a few players...Rondale being one. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: IUFANPUBUDAD
As I said...I only knew his school was a STEM school. Physics is tough...very tough. Wasn't unusual for A students prior to Purdue to get C's at Purdue. Course that was years ago and things may have changed...although gradeinflation.com used to show little inflation for Purdue "overall". He is a sought after player that many would like...not just due to his physical skills, but what appears to be a level headed person that is well grounded.

One thing for sure is fans of one school will be disappointed and the other school fanswill be very happy in just a few days. Another thing is that you will NOT see me coming over here and gloating should he announce for Purdue. IU will have talent as well. Be sure to look me up after the announcement if you wish and hand out a beating to me since I think he will announced for Purdue. I also hear there are rumblings down south saying the same thing...course it could be bad rumors. Now for the football game minus a few players...Rondale being one. :(
Indiana University - Bloomington has a really decent Physics Department. Physics B.A., Physics B.S., Applied Physics B.S., and a Physics minor. A comprehensive graduate program immerses students in research as part of their master's or Ph.D. degree, and includes an APS-sponsored M.S.-to-Ph.D. bridge program. A relative got a physics degree from IUB. Robotics and physics and AI wraped up together in advanced degrees. Victor pointed out it is called informatics.

Last edited:

IU and PU are tied for 11th in the BIG in undergrad Physics (#37 overall). So while neither is elite, each offers a more than adequate opportunity. Both are ranked higher than UVA in this discipline (#44).

So why not get that Physics degree on an incredible campus like IU playing on the biggest stage in the iconic Sistine Chapel of college athletics...THE Assembly Hall in front of, and followed world wide by, the most knowledgeable fans in the sport?

There is playing D1 ball...there is playing in the BIG...and then there is playing for INDIANA.

Indianapolis native and former alum who lives up in Chicago that coaches HS lacrosse and AAU basketball. Very well-connected to the basketball program and shares his insights on Twitter. I don't do Twitter so don't know his login name, but he's a well-respected gentleman who in most cases gives solid updates on roster and recruiting news.

"Former alum"? Why was his degree pulled? ;)

Rondale? I thought he came back?

Indiana University - Bloomington has a really decent Physics Department. Physics B.A., Physics B.S., Applied Physics B.S., and a Physics minor. A comprehensive graduate program immerses students in research as part of their master's or Ph.D. degree, and includes an APS-sponsored M.S.-to-Ph.D. bridge program. A relative got a physics degree from IUB. Robotics and physics and AI wraped up together in advanced degrees.
I typically think of IU has more of a Liberal Arts school and wasn't aware of what you wrote. Still, I shouldn't be surprised since IU probably has 150+ majors in something.

IU and PU are tied for 11th in the BIG in undergrad Physics (#37 overall). So while neither is elite, each offers a more than adequate opportunity. Both are ranked higher than UVA in this discipline (#44).

So why not get that Physics degree on an incredible campus like IU playing on the biggest stage in the iconic Sistine Chapel of college athletics...THE Assembly Hall in front of, and followed world wide by, the most knowledgeable fans in the sport?

There is playing D1 ball...there is playing in the BIG...and then there is playing for INDIANA.
They may be equal, but I never pay much attention to any rankings since they rarely rate if ever what is learned. Typically the content of what is measured and the school input generate those rankings. Trey seems a bit different and in a good way than the typical player being recruited. Whatever his reasoning, we will know in a few days ;)
I don't follow this site enough to know if there is a recent article on Trey in the last few days or not. I know GBI had one a couple of days ago whether this is indicative of anything or not...who knows?

I typically think of IU has more of a Liberal Arts school and wasn't aware of what you wrote. Still, I shouldn't be surprised since IU probably has 150+ majors in something.

You should read more about IU. An extremely well-rounded global research-based leader in many technical as well as liberal arts disciplines. IU is far more than just world-class Business, Law, Medicine and Music.

The school of informatics is ranked pretty high and has an engineering department.
I recall when that school was first started and seemed like a good link to transfer information from one area of study to another...somewhat like a liason. Course that was about 25 years ago. Back then I think there were around 4 or so areas to study inside informatics. Since it was somewhat of a hybrid it fell short in both areas of study, but had value in the link between the fields for communication. I imagine a lot has changed in 25 years or so.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
He did, but apparently suffered an injury earlier in the week. Suppose to be out for today...as is the coach. Younger brother (Brian) will call his first game. ;)

Well, I sincerely hope he recovers quickly and completely as I believe he has a real chance to play on Sundays but you may want to look at my comments just after he announced he was coming back.

Indiana University - Bloomington has a really decent Physics Department. Physics B.A., Physics B.S., Applied Physics B.S., and a Physics minor. A comprehensive graduate program immerses students in research as part of their master's or Ph.D. degree, and includes an APS-sponsored M.S.-to-Ph.D. bridge program. A relative got a physics degree from IUB. Robotics and physics and AI wraped up together in advanced degrees.

Have folk doing post-doc work there in Physics as well. Such taught me bridge and I showed them how to drink a 1/2 yard of ale without taking a bath. Good times.

As for the comment about many 'A' HS students receiving 'C's, that's as much if not more a function of them finding themselves at liberty away from home (and any oversight/disciplinary influence) as it is academic challenges - basically universal and hardly unique to pU.

Like IU's chances if for no other reason than he visited Bloomington/Campus - contrast with WL is extreme.

You should read more about IU. An extremely well-rounded global research-based leader in many technical as well as liberal arts disciplines. IU is far more than just world-class Business, Law, Medicine and Music.
Oh I know IU like all Big schools is involved in research. Relative to science whether Medicine or Physics...my thoughts were that few out of the population in school majored in those areas. Therefore, I saw the student body of IU as more Liberal Arts than science. Purdue most likely would be viewed as a science school and that is not to say that IU couldn't be damn good in some areas of science as well. FWIW...as bright as Trey may be...Physics should be VERY tough for most students and particularly for a ball player with a compressed schedule

Have folk doing post-doc work there in Physics as well. Such taught me bridge and I showed them how to drink a 1/2 yard of ale without taking a bath. Good times.

As for the comment about many 'A' HS students receiving 'C's, that's as much if not more a function of them finding themselves at liberty away from home (and any oversight/disciplinary influence) as it is academic challenges - basically universal and hardly unique to pU.

Like IU's chances if for no other reason than he visited Bloomington/Campus - contrast with WL is extreme.
My comments were from an engineering TA (Mensa) in dealing with students. However, there is no doubt that freshmen many times do worse in college for a variety of reasons. I can understand why IU fans believe they have the inside track...and perhaps they do, but we will know for sure in a few days. He will be a big plus to whatever team gets him.

The school of informatics is ranked pretty high and has an engineering department.

IU was a pioneer in the Informatics in 2000 and is among if not the best respected. IU offered the first PhD in Informatics. This is a highly practical interdisciplinary study that prepared graduates for in demand cross-functional careers. IU is ranked second behind U Wash Seattle (unless that school was burned down in the riots) and ahead of SUNY and several top CA schools..

Well, I sincerely hope he recovers quickly and completely as I believe he has a real chance to play on Sundays but you may want to look at my comments just after he announced he was coming back.
don't know your comments, but he was initially concerned about Covid and a shortened season. GBI has not stated that I'm aware any particular reason. A few days ago it was said he was 100%. A new defense and special teams coaches along with Jeff not being on the sidelines and losing Rondale at least for this game and it should be interesting. I'm curious what QB starts and who ends the game and if Purdue can improve their run game.

IU was a pioneer in the Informatics in 2000 and is among if not the best respected. IU offered the first PhD in Informatics. This is a highly practical interdisciplinary study that prepared graduates for in demand cross-functional careers. IU is ranked second behind U Wash Seattle (unless that school was burned down in the riots) and ahead of SUNY and several top CA schools..
I could be wrong but thought it started before 2000, but perhaps not? I know a person that went there in the beginning but have no idea if he finished. IU supplied a value major that was needed in Informatics and thought it made sense back then

Oh I know IU like all Big schools is involved in research. Relative to science whether Medicine or Physics...my thoughts were that few out of the population in school majored in those areas. Therefore, I saw the student body of IU as more Liberal Arts than science. Purdue most likely would be viewed as a science school and that is not to say that IU couldn't be damn good in some areas of science as well. FWIW...as bright as Trey may be...Physics should be VERY tough for most students and particularly for a ball player with a compressed schedule

"Few" Kelley's IU campus' alone has 8.4K students. i won't look up Medicine, Law, Computer Sciences, Engineering, Informatics, Chemistry or others...but a touch more than "few".

I recall when that school was first started and seemed like a good link to transfer information from one area of study to another...somewhat like a liason. Course that was about 25 years ago. Back then I think there were around 4 or so areas to study inside informatics. Since it was somewhat of a hybrid it fell short in both areas of study, but had value in the link between the fields for communication. I imagine a lot has changed in 25 years or so.
It has. IU started investing heavily about 12-15 years ago and it seems to have paid off. I think it’s top ten ranked.

Reactions: tjreese

“ Without taking a bath “ I thought I could smell you, now I know why!

Because maybe Trey isn’t drawn to all the glitz and glam that is IU basketball.

what drugs are you into? Your writing style screams Hallucinogenics.

Reactions: tjreese and Lucy01
Yeah. Maybe he will be drawn to the Barf and Gag type of restaurants that PU has in West Laffy. That and all the stylish brick buildings. The pocket protectors given when one graduates to go to the Engineering offices of Subaru or the assembly line for the Ag/Tech graduates...very smart. Could be he will get excited about riding in that neat tricycle race. Or rather, maybe sit in a tin can all the way to an asteroid near Saturn and back. The National Championship Basketball Banners hanging up in the arena...oh, forgot...there aren't any. I enjoy talking to engineers...so well rounded in the social sciences! Exciting stuff, that PU place.

Not.

It has. IU started investing heavily about 12-15 years ago and it seems to have paid off. I think it’s top ten ranked.

See above

#2 behind UWash-Seattle if that school wasn't burned down in the riots.

Last edited:
Is Kaufman just announcing on Friday or is he having a press conference? I would think a press conference would favor IU but just announcing seems like a neutral factor between IU and PU.

Yeah. Maybe he will be drawn to the Barf and Gag type of restaurants that PU has in West Laffy. That and all the stylish brick buildings. The pocket protectors given when one graduates to go to the Engineering offices of Subaru or the assembly line for the Ag/Tech graduates...very smart. Could be he will get excited about riding in that neat tricycle race. Or rather, maybe sit in a tin can all the way to an asteroid near Saturn and back. The National Championship Basketball Banners hanging up in the arena...oh, forgot...there aren't any. I enjoy talking to engineers...so well rounded in the social sciences! Exciting stuff, that PU place.

Not.
Their basketball program is in a much better position than IU’s that’s all that matters. Continue with the jokes from 1988 though.

Their basketball program is in a much better position than IU’s that’s all that matters. Continue with the jokes from 1988 though.

Really?

I know PU has beaten IU of late but how are are they in "a much better position than IU" right now?

Please be specific as that is a huge statement to make.

Is Kaufman just announcing on Friday or is he having a press conference? I would think a press conference would favor IU but just announcing seems like a neutral factor between IU and PU.

This is a very good question. I don't think he wants to have a big splash and not choose IU. A quiet announcement would favor PU I think.

Because Trey isn’t looking for the fish bowl situation that would occur at IU. Prefers Purdue’s campus smaller campus feel/set-up over IU’s. Brian Snow mentioned this recently too.

Because Trey isn’t looking for the fish bowl situation that would occur at IU. Prefers Purdue’s campus smaller campus feel/set-up over IU’s. Brian Snow mentioned this recently too.

Then why not go to Butler? Smaller campus but still a great feel and attractive? No fishbowl and cool arena.

Not.
Were you even born for the last banner? I respect the banners but it’s been quite a while to still be bragging. Haven’t even been to the Big Dance in several years. Look it was a storied program and you should be proud, but the recruits see a program that hasn’t had a lot of success lately. I do think they are in the upswing. Hard not to when you get a 5 star at least 3 years running.
We both want Kaufman and iu has a major advantage with the pressure he must be feeling to attend iu. Someonewill get a very good player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT