ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

Lol ok coach.
The laughs never stop. Tenth or 11th? Lol. As an IU grad and long time fan, I don’t relish Purdue’s success, but I can acknowledge your success and obvious fan support, as well as your investment in facilities (a member of the “committee” that oversaw the Mackey renovation is a retired professor and IU grad, so he was kind enough to give me a backstage look a few years ago). The derisive descriptions of either the arena or Painter are beyond ignorant, as are the posters.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOOOOOOOOOSERZ
The laughs never stop. Tenth or 11th? Lol.

Did you read the article? The article lists over 20 coaches by name that UCLA reached out too and also goes on to say that by the end of it 60 potential hires were contacted. Saying Painter was the 10th or 11th choice at UCLA is probably generous.

UCLA had deals in place with:

-Calipari, leveraged into an extension at UK
-Jamie Dixon, wouldn't pay TCU's buyout
-Rick Barnes, spurned UCLA at the eleventh hour for a new extension at Tennessee.

Did you read the article? The article lists over 20 coaches by name that UCLA reached out too and also goes on to say that by the end of it 60 potential hires were contacted. Saying Painter was the 10th or 11th choice at UCLA is probably generous.

UCLA had deals in place with:

-Calipari, leveraged into an extension at UK
-Jamie Dixon, wouldn't pay TCU's buyout
-Rick Barnes, spurned UCLA at the eleventh hour for a new extension at Tennessee.
So, you were guessing and made up the 10th or 11th information?

It’s not about money with him.

I hold Matt Painter in pretty high esteem - and have said so. But don’t be naive.

It might be fair to say that money isn’t everything to him. But that could probably be said of most coaches - especially the ones that are making well into 7 figures.

Nobody but him could really verify this. But the general consensus was that he used Mizzou’s interest in him to get some contract concessions from Purdue. They weren’t solely a raise for him. But they included that (and that’s fine).

People acting like he isn’t one of the best coaches in America are fooling themselves.

For me, that would depend how many names would be included in a list of the best coaches.

Top 10? No. Top 20? Perhaps.

I hold Matt Painter in pretty high esteem - and have said so. But don’t be naive.

It might be fair to say that money isn’t everything to him. But that could probably be said of most coaches - especially the ones that are making well into 7 figures.

Nobody but him could really verify this. But the general consensus was that he used Mizzou’s interest in him to get some contract concessions from Purdue. They weren’t solely a raise for him. But they included that (and that’s fine).

For me, that would depend how many names would be included in a list of the best coaches.

Perhaps Top 20? He’s the second best in the conference he’s def top 20.

Thx. Will give it a read tonight in the hotel.
Yeah, I thought I saw that a PDF was free and available. I admit I'm a Sowell fan and find him very bright and articulate. I don't think the title should be taken to heart though. The reviews I consider pretty accurate and each portrays maybe a bit different thing they learned. Here is the first review to give you a flavor...
Joseph J. Hines
5.0 out of 5 stars The Myths Come Tumbling Down
Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2017
Verified Purchase
This is among the most interesting and enlightening books ever written. It is vintage Thomas Sowell- a thoroughly researched, broad sweep of history, economics and sociology and their impact on humanity. The writing style is accessible, interesting and engaging rather than bogged-down and dry like other books on similar subjects.
The greatness lies in debunking vast numbers of popular myths and misconceptions about differences and similarities between races, cultures, nationalities and their conduct. Most readers will be shocked to learn of the popular acceptance and practice of slavery worldwide and that Western culture lead the fight- literally- to end slavery. Europeans, Asians, Africans, South Americans, North Americans all engaged in slavery to an extent never discussed- at least not in America. Our sociologists, historians, politicians and others of low motivation would have us believe the institution was originated by and limited to the U.S. southland. Nothing could be further from the truth. Slavery continued in the Ottoman Empire for decades after the US Civil war and for generations in Africa, Asia, the Islamic culture and elsewhere despite vast military expenditures by European countries to stamp it out.
Dr. Sowell details dozens of additional examples of shocking, tragic relationships based on economic success, culture, work ethic differences and the effect of identity politics. Success of the Chinese, Lebanese, Albanians, Jewish and Tamil cultures among other populations resulted in discrimination, slaughter and exile of the successful by the less so, incited principally by political forces. A section describes anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany resulting from the same tactics of differentiating a culture among the larger population and inciting it to tragic discrimination. Indifference to Nazism by German communities outside Germany testifies to the potential of politics and politicians to corrupt populations.
This book dispels powerful myths and debunks the rhetoric of those who seek to divide the world with false history and science and an uninformed worldview.
If you want information and enlightenment, you will love this book.

Dr. Sowell's twenty-five years' of research coupled with the observations and research of others across centuries

Reactions: Bill4411

I think it would be extremely difficult to name 20 coaches as good or better than Painter.

So, you were guessing and made up the 10th or 11th information?

Giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps? He wasn't high on their list and again if you actually read the article, Painter by name is mentioned as a Tier 2 candidate.

I think it would be extremely difficult to name 20 coaches as good or better than Painter.

It's more about fit than anything. As I've repeatedly stated, Painter is perfect for Purdue and vice versa. He understands the culture given his obvious ties and is on-board with the overall climate. He's really not been put under any kind of immense pressure to elevate the program and that's pretty obvious given the never ending status-quo at Purdue (which honestly sometimes isn't necessarily a bad thing).

But I could easily think of 20 other coaches who if I wanted to elevate the status of my current program would get a call before Painter.

It's more about fit than anything. As I've repeatedly stated, Painter is perfect for Purdue and vice versa. He understands the culture given his obvious ties and is on-board with the overall climate. He's really not been put under any kind of immense pressure to elevate the program and that's pretty obvious given the never ending status-quo at Purdue (which honestly sometimes isn't necessarily a bad thing).

But I could easily think of 20 other coaches who if I wanted to elevate the status of my current program would get a call before Painter.

Let’s see the list of 20.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps? He wasn't high on their list and again if you actually read the article, Painter by name is mentioned as a Tier 2 candidate.
He likely wasn’t high on their list because he had no interest. But 10th or 11th is simply preposterous.

It’s always about “fit”, everywhere. Always. But please name 20.

Can you folks take this back with you to GBI?

Some folks want to discuss IU basketball.

The space IU occupies in the your collective PU brains is spectacular. Rent free.

TIA

Most readers will be shocked to learn of the popular acceptance and practice of slavery worldwide and that Western culture lead the fight- literally- to end slavery. Europeans, Asians, Africans, South Americans, North Americans all engaged in slavery to an extent never discussed- at least not in America. Our sociologists, historians, politicians and others of low motivation would have us believe the institution was originated by and limited to the U.S. southland. Nothing could be further from the truth. Slavery continued in the Ottoman Empire for decades after the US Civil war and for generations in Africa, Asia, the Islamic culture and elsewhere despite vast military expenditures by European countries to stamp it out.

Completely disingenuous to compare slavery in pre- and post-colonial NA, and it has been "discussed" in many publications despite what the review states. Similarly, while slavery has existed for millennia, and irrespective of efforts to rationalize its existence in the US because we weren't the first or 'everyone was doing it', the United States is alone in its distinction for effectively turning it into a national industry during that 'modern' era and the lengths it went to replace/maintain a labor force coincident with the systematic annihilation of indigenous peoples.

Little about the practice of slavery as initiated by Columbus and his son has precedence either in terms of scale or investment, and certainly not during or after that era in history. One could also argue that genocide was practiced before the Nazis distinguished themselves by surpassing their predecessors, although I've never seen any attribution for the practice enjoying "popular acceptance". (Guess nobody bothered to interview the victims.)

Reviewer also refers to slavery in the past tense. That would come as news to the UN and a number of NGOs still toiling to eliminate it. Hope the book recounts the reality better than the review.

Let’s see the list of 20.

Obviously my opinion and I'm not listing who I think are the 20 best coaches, but if I was tasked to hire a candidate who I thought gives me the best chance of getting my program to the upper echelon of college basketball (within 5 years), Matt Painter isn't on it.

-Calipari
-Coach K
-Pitino
-Bill Self
-Tom Izzo
-Roy Williams
-Mark Few
-Tony Bennett
-Chris Beard
-Chris Mack
-Jay Wright
-Bruce Pearl
-Jim Boeheim
-Kelvin Sampson
-Bob Huggins
-Rick Barnes
-Lon Kruger
-Scott Drew
-Dana Altman
-Leonard Hamilton

That's just twenty active college coaches. That's not including guys like Beilein or Matta who I could see coming out of retirement or guys like Donovan or Stevens who I think ultimately end up back in the college ranks at some point.

Last edited:
He likely wasn’t high on their list because he had no interest. But 10th or 11th is simply preposterous.

So Beard, Bennett, Wright, Izzo, Donovan, Stevens, Few, not to mention the guys they had principle agreements with (Calipari/Dixon/Barnes) were lower? As I stated previously, saying Painter was the 10th or 11th choice was probably generous. He was a token call after so many prior said no.

We all could but dude...stop feeding the trolls. They will go away or lose their shit and get banned again.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
That kind of intellectual rebuttal is right on brand for this cesspool

Says the person that felt the urge to come to this "cesspool"! Evidently you thought you would set this "cesspool" right on the recruiting landscape.

Damn, go back to GBI and stay there.

TIA

Says the person that felt the urge to come to this "cesspool"! Evidently you thought you would set this "cesspool" right on the recruiting landscape.

Damn, go back to GBI and stay there.

TIA
I agree, it is a cesspool. There are way too many turds in the bowl these last few days; and it's entirely by their choice! Weirdos. At least one way or another they get flushed this weekend for the most part. Although I know they are hoping for 1 last victory lap as they swirl out of sight!

Obviously my opinion and I'm not listing who I think are the 20 best coaches, but if I was tasked to hire a candidate who I thought gives me the best chance of getting my program to the upper echelon of college basketball (within 5 years), Matt Painter isn't on it.

-Calipari
-Coach K
-Pitino
-Bill Self
-Tom Izzo
-Roy Williams
-Mark Few
-Tony Bennett
-Chris Beard
-Chris Mack
-Jay Wright
-Bruce Pearl
-Jim Boeheim
-Kelvin Sampson
-Bob Huggins
-Rick Barnes
-Lon Kruger
-Scott Drew
-Dana Altman
-Leonard Hamilton

That's just twenty active college coaches. That's not including guys like Beilein or Matta who I could see coming out of retirement or guys like Donovan or Stevens who I think ultimately end up back in the college ranks at some point.

So sanctions clearly aren’t a big deal to you?

Pitino, Sampson, Pearl, Barnes, Hamilton, Kruger?! This list is awful.

But I could easily think of 20 other coaches who if I wanted to el
So Beard, Bennett, Wright, Izzo, Donovan, Stevens, Few, not to mention the guys they had principle agreements with (Calipari/Dixon/Barnes) were lower? As I stated previously, saying Painter was the 10th or 11th choice was probably generous. He was a token call after so many prior said no.
He was very likely one of several phone calls from Dan Guerrero that was met with a “Thanks, but no thanks” response. Saying he was 10th or 11th is entirely without basis in fact.

-Calipari
-Coach K
-Pitino
-Bill Self
-Tom Izzo
-Roy Williams
-Mark Few
-Tony Bennett
-Chris Beard
-Chris Mack
-Jay Wright
-Bruce Pearl
-Jim Boeheim
-Kelvin Sampson
-Bob Huggins
-Rick Barnes
-Lon Kruger
-Scott Drew
-Dana Altman
-Leonard Hamilton

As you get into the second ten, most objective and knowledgable observers would place Painter toward the top of that group.

So sanctions clearly aren’t a big deal to you?

Pitino, Sampson, Pearl, Barnes, Hamilton, Kruger?! This list is awful.

Sanctions or no sanctions, Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson are pound for pound are two of the best college basketball coaches in the country, and I'm not really sure that is up for debate.

Again if I was tasked as an AD to bring on a coach who I thought within a given period of time would have my program in the upper echelon of college basketball, Matt Painter isn't on it. I don't think he runs a system that attracts the needed type flight recruits or is master X's and O's tactician like Beard or Bennett to overcome those deficiencies. I added with full caveat that list was my opinion, and my opinion only, and you aren't going to steer me from that.

Like I said many times earlier, Painter is the perfect fit for Purdue.

Read the article
I read it (I subscribe to the LAT, so I was able to get past the paywall). It was well known in SoCal at that time that DG was headed toward retirement and that their revenue sports were in some degree of chaos. Football and basketball attendance were down significantly and they were still paying on old contracts. A few alums were squawking, but it’s a pro sports town with one college team (and sport) that anyone cares about. They were hunting with a shotgun, and lots of inquiries were made. Most of them were rejected out of hand. That’s how they ended up with Mick. I don’t think you understand the culture there at all.

Sanctions or no sanctions, Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson are pound for pound are two of the best college basketball coaches in the country, and I'm not really sure that is up for debate.

Again if I was tasked as an AD to bring on a coach who I thought within a given period of time would have my program in the upper echelon of college basketball, Matt Painter isn't on it. I don't think he runs a system that attracts the needed type flight recruits or is master X's and O's tactician like Beard or Bennett to overcome those deficiencies. I added with full caveat that list was my opinion, and my opinion only, and you aren't going to steer me from that.

Can’t ignore their past. If an AD chose Pearl/Sampson over Painter, they’re clearly not going to last too long as an AD.

Since all you clowns are here convincing us of Painter's greatness...great guy your Purduepete is Gets in a fight at mcDonalds at 2 am, runs his car into the victim then tells police he 'walked" and it is not his car.

Hammered Down!!

Purdue shot more threes the past four years than any team in the Big Ten. Shit... look at the style he let fly with Carsen Edwards. You’re delusional. Good grief. When Kaufman commits on Friday, then that’ll be two top 40 recruits in the state. And won’t be losing to IU any time soon.

Since all you clowns are here convincing us of Painter's greatness...great guy your Purduepete is Gets in a fight at mcDonalds at 2 am, runs his car into the victim then tells police he 'walked" and it is not his car.

Hammered Down!!

This is badass. Better than a basketball player running over a teammate with a car!

Purdue shot more threes the past four years than any team in the Big Ten. Shit... look at the style he let fly with Carsen Edwards. You’re delusional. Good grief. When Kaufman commits on Friday, then that’ll be two top 40 recruits in the state. And won’t be losing to IU any time soon.

That literally means nothing. Just because one player had freedom of range doesn't mean it's an appealing style to type flight recruits. Painter's track record in recruiting speaks for itself. Calling me delusional is comical.

Disagree with this.... we are threatening it. CAM has done a great job with in-state recruits, but ultimately we have to WIN to maintain dominance, which we won't have long term if we don't win bigger in conference and nationally. And, I'm not excited about a 7th-8th place B10 finish and slipping into the NCAA because the conference was strong. That's not the IU program we should have. That was acceptable last year, but this team needs to overachieve, a bit imo, and the good news is, I do think that's possible. If we'd had the recruiting results we've had with CAM and a B10 title and deep (E8 run or better) tourney run, I think Trey's recruitment would be moot. If we don't start winning at a national level, we threaten our in-state dominance. We need to get back to where the best players WANT to come to IU, and we have a ways to go to get there, and it starts with winning bigger. Hope we see that this year, I think we have that kind of roster, and we've proven there's no one in the conference we can't compete with... well, except PU (yes, I'm kidding... sort of).
This was always the advantage that RMK had in his heyday.

RMK was never going to get all of the recruits, because many didn't want to play for him, due to his personality.

But, indiana high school kids knew that IU was a great place to go if they wanted to experience high level success and win national championships.

That literally means nothing. Just because one player had freedom of range doesn't mean it's an appealing style to type flight recruits. Painter's track record in recruiting speaks for itself. Calling me delusional is comical.
Recruiting to West Lafayette isn’t an easy task. Give Painter the resources at IU and he’d get anyone he wanted. Seriously. You’re rose colored glasses are so foggy you literally can’t discuss Purdue or Painter in a unbiased light. It’s embarrassing. And bad trolling.

Recruiting to West Lafayette isn’t an easy task. Give Painter the resources at IU and he’d get anyone he wanted. Seriously. You’re rose colored glasses are so foggy you literally can’t discuss Purdue or Painter in a unbiased light. It’s embarrassing. And bad trolling.

Painter routinely gets out-recruited just for Indiana kids against schools like Xavier, Michigan State, Louisville, etc. It has nothing to do with Purdue/West Lafayette (East Lansing ain't any better) and everything to do with Painter's style and approach. It doesn't help that Painter doesn't have a name brand player in the NBA. I've talked to several high school and AAU coaches over the years who have all echoed this. Brutally honest coach who recruits system kids that he develops well and gets the most out of, but not somebody that blue chippers are attracted too. You can argue against that all you want but his track record speaks for itself.

Wait, which is it? We get lectured all the time about how it's a superior academic school and IU's equal socially... or superior if you take away all the hicks, right? So why would recruiting to WL be difficult? Wait, I know, I know... it's the academic requirements right? You've got a good coach, and according to you, you're getting the 2 most highly rated recruits in IN, and yet you are still over here, blathering about.

You clowns are just adorable. Do you actually believe what you post or are you just trolling?

LOL. Purdue has landed Furst and Ivey. I don’t think Purdue fans are too worried about recruiting right now.

I don't know who Ivey is. You did get Furst, how did Romeo, TJD and Lander work out for PU tho? It would be a smart pick to chose IU over PU for TK if you look at recent history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT