ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

You could be correct I've not seen the tweet for some time. Are you able to post it...I have no problem admitting I misremembered it, if I did. I only remember 'OR" thought I understood it was in reference to people being surprised. Again, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if that is the case and it certainly could have an effect on my trying to put things together on my end.
It was more along the lines of "can't make everyone happy" and it wasn't even definite that he was talking about his recruitment.

Reactions: tjreese
2 very good sources told me he's going to Purdue
Very good sources or just educated guesses? Trey has been tight lipped and so why would things be leaked now. Dont get me wrong...I hope you are right. It is what I believe, but I'm just "feeling" lucky on this one. On a scale of 0 to 100 with 100 the highest score...what score would you give those sources...65,75...higher?

A more fruitful.... 16 year career at PU were he was a hand-picked successor vs Archie's 3 at IU where he had to totally change the culture, roster and program direction? Look, I think MP's a good coach, but you can't say he's had a "more fruitful" record in his current position without noting that.
Obviously you think you've guessed right... you're here aren't you? The gnashing of teeth about other programs cheating and Matt cooling on him, will come if he doesn't pick PU, as it has so often in the past. I just think IU has more to sell with getting him to the NBA. We actually have a pretty solid track record of that currently despite our struggles; while PU, not so much. He knows more of our players it seems and we're likely to have a big hole where his minutes will come from. I just don't see that at PU. TK and CF need to both show largely the same skill set to get to the NBA, and both I'm sure want that. MP's history has been that he's going to want a true 5, which pushes CF down to the 4... and TK will be playing the 3/4. It also seemed to me that MP actually did cool on TK and I thought it was clear that PU wanted Ingram more, then turned the heat back up on TK once Ingram went elsewhere. Just my observations, I don't follow recruiting as close as many, and PU recruiting hardly at all, except where there's cross over. As I said, if he picks PU I think it was a masterful job of recruiting by MP.

Purdue’s recruitment of TK has been consistent and steady for at least the last 7-8 months during which time confidence that he would go to Purdue grew.

Very good sources or just educated guesses? Trey has been tight lipped and so why would things be leaked now. Dont get me wrong...I hope you are right. It is what I believe, but I'm just "feeling" lucky on this one. On a scale of 0 to 100 with 100 the highest score...what score would you give those sources...65,75...higher?
95 percent both left the caveat things can change, but both said the decision has been made , small side note , said his mother preferred iu

95 percent both left the caveat things can change, but both said the decision has been made , small side note , said his mother preferred iu
Just curious...many think the coach is over 50% of a reason why a player goes to a school. I think a coach is important, but not sure it is over 50% of the reason why a player goes where he does. That said I thought I read that Trey's mother went to IU? Did your sources separate the schools and coaches? If your sources are correct could she like IU, but Matt or do you think mom stayed completely out...assuming again in that your sources are accurate?

By who though? There’s been several regional jobs that have opened in the last few years that I would consider to be as good or better than the Purdue job and haven’t once ever heard his name considered. Ohio State, Michigan, and Louisville have all been open in the last 3-4 years. Illinois has been open a few times these last several years. Bigger jobs like UCLA, Texas, Maryland have all been open in the last 10 years. Only school I’ve seen or heard connected to Painter is Mizzou right as he was leveraging for a pay raise back in 2012.

UCLA tried to come after him the off season after the elite 8. He’s not leaving Purdue and schools know that. It’s not about money with him. People acting like he isn’t one of the best coaches in America are fooling themselves. With the lengthened big ten schedule (20 games now) he’ll be the all time winningest B10 coach 15 years from now if he averages 12-8 every season (very conservative). Next season, he’ll have the best roster he’s ever had top-to-bottom (Kaufman will be part of said roster - sorry :)

UCLA tried to come after him the off season after the elite 8. He’s not leaving Purdue and schools know that. It’s not about money with him. People acting like he isn’t one of the best coaches in America are fooling themselves. With the lengthened big ten schedule (20 games now) he’ll be the all time winningest B10 coach 15 years from now if he averages 12-8 every season (very conservative). Next season, he’ll have the best roster he’s ever had top-to-bottom (Kaufman will be part of said roster - sorry :)
Painter is very good, & if a school is happy to be very good, he’s a great choice. If a school wishes to be great, they’re going to look elsewhere, since he has shown to not be great. High floor, not such a high ceiling. Of course, maybe he just suffers from being at PU & if given a shot at a school like IU he could be great, but he’d be silly to leave a job where so long as you win most of your games against one team the fan base will be ecstatic.

Indiana basketball fans are the equivalent of Nebraska Football fans...Have not been relevant in a long time and keep pointing to past accomplishments. Put on your clown pants, 80's IU shirt and the ND football jacket while you are at it.

What’s funny is, we’ll still probably make the Final 4 before Purdue does.

Who didn't UCLA come after? Painter was an 10th or 11th option, a formality really, but never in serious negotiations or a real candidate.

Pretty humorous, yet pretty said tale of the UCLA coaching search. A good read.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Hey at least PU can actually bring a dog to this fight. Can you imagine being a PU fan in the 80s or 90s? I feel sorry for them because after this year, when they miss the tourney and IU starts a streak of 10-15 straight, it’s gonna be a few more decades of watching big brother get all the girls and trophies.

IU has easily been the trendy school since Archie got here. All the good players in state have gravitated towards IU over PU. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see what is happening here.

Painter is very good, & if a school is happy to be very good, he’s a great choice. If a school wishes to be great, they’re going to look elsewhere, since he has shown to not be great. High floor, not such a high ceiling. Of course, maybe he just suffers from being at PU & if given a shot at a school like IU he could be great, but he’d be silly to leave a job where so long as you win most of your games against one team the fan base will be ecstatic.

My thoughts exactly. Painter is a very good coach his style and philosophy fits perfect at Purdue. Purdue has been fortunate enough, depending on how you look at it, to have only two coaches the last 4 decades. Keady and Painter are a microcosm of one another. Painter's done exceptionally well at Purdue, but the status quo at Purdue really hasn't changed in 40 years. They make the tournament almost regularly, compete in the top third/fourth of the Big Ten, and as of recent have been on a roll vs Indiana, and that honestly the goal at Purdue.

You nail it right on the head about high floor with Painter. The Purdue job doesn't come close to having the lofty expectations that come with the Indiana job. Painter is an excellent coach in his own right, but he's not a guy I'd hire if I were truly trying to elevate my program. I don't think he runs a system that is attractive to type flight recruits and think he would struggle at a bigger/more prestigious basketball school that places a great deal of emphasis on postseason success. You look at Purdue November-February they are easily a top 20, maybe top 15 program the last 40 years but always come up short in March.

Reactions: kkott
My thoughts exactly. Painter is a very good coach his style and philosophy fits perfect at Purdue. Purdue has been fortunate enough, depending on how you look at it, to have only two coaches the last 4 decades. Keady and Painter are a microcosm of one another. Painter's done exceptionally well at Purdue, but the status quo at Purdue really hasn't changed in 40 years. They make the tournament almost regularly, compete in the top third/fourth of the Big Ten, and as of recent have been on a roll vs Indiana, and that honestly the goal at Purdue.

You nail it right on the head about high floor with Painter. The Purdue job doesn't come close to having the lofty expectations that come with the Indiana job. Painter is an excellent coach in his own right, but he's not a guy I'd hire if I were truly trying to elevate my program. I don't think he runs a system that is attractive to type flight recruits and think he would struggle at a bigger/more prestigious basketball school that places a great deal of emphasis on postseason success. You look at Purdue November-February they are easily a top 20, maybe top 15 program the last 40 years but always come up short in March.
They have been unfortunate enough to be stuck with two coaches over the last 40 years that can't sniff a final 4.

I don’t care what you think. If they stay healthy they’ll be a top 15 team and good enough to make the final 4. This team is going to be a lot better than what people realize.

OK

I do love the optimism. They should be better, if for no other reason they should have better decision makers handling the ball. The BIG will be very solid this year so a top 3 finish will be a challenge for sure but where they need to be this deep into CAM's tenure.

Agreed, PU is not going to risk making a change in order to get to the next tier. It could fail. They have beaten IU enough to keep the alumni satisfied and the gym pretty full. Life is good in WL.

Hey at least PU can actually bring a dog to this fight. Can you imagine being a PU fan in the 80s or 90s? I feel sorry for them because after this year, when they miss the tourney and IU starts a streak of 10-15 straight, it’s gonna be a few more decades of watching big brother get all the girls and trophies.

IU has easily been the trendy school since Archie got here. All the good players in state have gravitated towards IU over PU. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see what is happening here.

LOL. Purdue has landed Furst and Ivey. I don’t think Purdue fans are too worried about recruiting right now.

LOL. Purdue has landed Furst and Ivey. I don’t think Purdue fans are too worried about recruiting right now.

IU showed little to no interest in Ivey (never offered) and while Furst is a great get for Painter, the OP is spot on with in-state recruits gravitating to IU. Kaufman ends up at Purdue that will be alarming, but Archie has pretty much gotten whoever he's wanted in-state.

That kind of intellectual rebuttal is right on brand for this cesspool

It wasn't a "rebuttal" in any way shape or form. It was simply an observation and confirmation of you proving my point.

But please, hang around and sob all you need to.

Hope that helps big guy.

Last edited:
What do you mean by this?
Sometimes I wish folks would quit talking about basketball teams in terms of “culture.” We’re not talking about the Ming Dynasty or Mesopotamia, for Pete’s sake. It’s friggin hoops. You’d think by college players would be mature enough to get along and go to class.

Physics is, or often is, a liberal art. My math was. I'm a proud graduate of Arts and Sciences.
Not exactly sure where you were going unless it was to express that you consider a physics degree to be a BA as opposed to a BS in schools other than those viewed to be more Liberal Arts (Humanities generally categorized in that view). Never was my intent to denigrate a B.A., but the arts are different than the sciences...else why distinguish such? I just know the general population of Purdue is tied to the sciences and Purdue is viewed as a science school.

As Courtsense stated, you can have good science course offerings in IU. I just think that most view Purdue a more science school and IU a more Liberal Art school, noting that there are Liberal Art students at Purdue and science students at IU. I was trying to state what I considered a general perception from the public. If the public views it much differently, then I'm wrong and I have no problem being corrected on what I perceive to be a view from John Public. Again, no intent to denigrate a B.A. degree since I have some of those in my family as well. ;)

Sometimes I wish folks would quit talking about basketball teams in terms of “culture.” We’re not talking about the Ming Dynasty or Mesopotamia, for Pete’s sake. It’s friggin hoops. You’d think by college players would be mature enough to get along and go to class.

People misuse the term "culture" all the time.

I had a consultant come to me years ago and pitched "teaching a desirable culture"...as in instruction and workshops. It was a short conversation.

Reactions: MG80
People misuse the term "culture" all the time.

I had a consultant come to me years ago and pitched "teaching a desirable culture"...as in instruction and workshops. It was a short conversation.
Off subject from Trey, but a very interesting book concerning culture from a great mind. Thomas Sowell has a very interesting book on "culture" following people from one geographical area to another among very many other interesting topics .
Black Rednecks and White Liberals

Purdue’s recruitment of TK has been consistent and steady for at least the last 7-8 months during which time confidence that he would go to Purdue grew.
You can say that, and it may be true. Work out for me how MP was going to sell TK on CF, TK and Harrison Ingram all playing together? If you get Ingram, who I believe you clearly preferred, I think there is absolutely 0% chance TK is going to PU. Again, if you get him, I think it's a masterful job by MP... but then again didn't he balance an affair with a former cheerleader and a wife for a period of time, so he clearly learned something!

“So long as you win most of your games”. Changed it for you. He’s won nearly 70% of his games.

IU showed little to no interest in Ivey (never offered) and while Furst is a great get for Painter, the OP is spot on with in-state recruits gravitating to IU. Kaufman ends up at Purdue that will be alarming, but Archie has pretty much gotten whoever he's wanted in-state.

That was a mistake on their part (not showing interest in Ivey). Either they figured he was a slam dunk to ND or they botched the evaluation. I know Purdue liked Galloway but they had both Ivey and Morton rated ahead of him so Purdue got the guys they wanted. Galloway was a Purdue lean before the other two committed.

That was a mistake on their part (not showing interest in Ivey). Either they figured he was a slam dunk to ND or they botched the evaluation. I know Purdue liked Galloway but they had both Ivey and Morton rated ahead of him so Purdue got the guys they wanted. Galloway was a Purdue lean before the other two committed.

Ivey hasn't played a single minute of college basketball. Relax.

Did ordy go back to GBI and recruit all these needy Boilies to come over here and beg for affirmation?

ADVERTISEMENT