ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris booked exclusive interview with Brett Baier on Fox

I just watched Harris being interviewed by Bair. Holy shit. What the **** is there to vote for?

All the Republicans who are now voting for her are frauds. All the Democrats voting for her are blind partisans.

I guess Trump is the least wrecked train in the yard. Sad.

We wonder why voter turnout is so low. Who thinks either of these 2 tickets is representative of our best and brightest?

• Haha
Reactions: mrhighlife
I just watched Harris being interviewed by Bair. Holy shit. What the **** is there to vote for?

All the Republicans who are now voting for her are frauds. All the Democrats voting for her are blind partisans.

I guess Trump is the least wrecked train in the yard. Sad.

We wonder why voter turnout is so low. Who thinks either of these 2 tickets is representative of our best and brightest?
Sorry, hooky. You're not looking out a window. You're looking in a mirror. If that's what you think you saw, the blind partisan is you.

Ok. Of course we all have opinions. And we have debates all the time about those opinions in hoping to convince others to re-think theirs. It's a forum to discuss.

I see you have no interest in discussing whether our potential president engaged on a cover up for our current president who is on mental decline and is supposedly running and protecting the country.

No worries. Have a good night.
You guys will be having this conversation even sooner when Trump wins. Guy is in a mental freefall. Sure he attends events. But he is incapable of thoughtful answers on policy.

Both his debates were awful. Biden simply was worse the first time. How long will JD cover for Trump in office? Before his term is up he is likely to be a drooling fool.

You guys will be having this conversation even sooner when Trump wins. Guy is in a mental freefall. Sure he attends events. But he is incapable of thoughtful answers on policy.

Both his debates were awful. Biden simply was worse the first time. How long will JD cover for Trump in office? Before his term is up he is likely to be a drooling fool.

You'll get no argument from me. He word salads as well.

But the issue we were discussing was Kamala's judgement in covering up Biden's mental decline.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
I'm curious - why do you think 2.4% inflation is one of our biggest problems? Do you think higher inflation is going to return and the next President is going to have to deal with it? Do you think that inflation is always one of our biggest problems?

CPI over the last four years coming out of the pandemic has been a problem, but that's a problem looking backward, not forward. It seems like we've gotten inflation to a manageable spot without causing massive job loss or deflation, which was a significant concern. Overall economic growth remains okay and unemployment is still in a pretty good place.

There are lots of problems to consider, so I'm wondering why you think inflation is currently one of our biggest.
Because things I want to buy cost so much more now, it's impacting me. Most people use the term as including a current high cost of living in relation to their own wealth/income. That's how I'm using it, too.

I am not alone:

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Because things I want to buy cost so much more now, it's impacting me. Most people use the term as including a current high cost of living in relation to their own wealth/income. That's how I'm using it, too.

I am not alone:

Yeah, you guys are talking about 2 different things.

As hoosboot says, the rate of inflation is back down much closer to target. But, as you say, the inflation happened and people don’t just adjust to the new normal overnight. It’s…the hurricane and the aftermath.

I am not alone:

Why choose inflation when we can choose deflation?

Why choose inflation when we can choose deflation?

Mario knew
images

Reactions: snarlcakes

I am not alone:

Is that because of the current 2.4% inflation, or the previous much worse inflation.

2.4% is .4% over the fed goal. Not great, but in the ballpark.

I admit my inflation odometer is off. I was raised in a multi-generational house. My grandparents in the 60s always complained about the cost of things. They recalled when they could buy a gallon of milk for a nickel. This led me to a "that's what old people do" belief: They complain things don't cost what they did 50 years ago.

We have a price point in our mind, even if we have 5 years of no inflation we are going to recall the days we could get the Big Mac combo for under $10. It is etched.

I also know this is has a massive variability, but from Statistica:

In August 2024, inflation amounted to 2.5 percent, while wages grew by 4.6 percent. The inflation rate has not exceeded the rate of wage growth since January 2023.​
Bolding is theirs. That is wage growth, so it is at least people working and not a generic income which would include the investor class. So some people are doing better, and some are doing worse. That is pretty standard in recoveries. But 18 months of wages outpacing inflation is pretty good. You can see the chart at the link, overall wages have largely done a good amount better than inflation.

And yes, that is going to be uneven. To be honest, my wages sure aren't doing better than inflation. Some people are doing quite well, many of them working class. UPS drivers, and longshoremen will be soon, travel nurses, and UAW workers. Those aren't CEOs.

And the hardest hit will be people on fixed income, as social security may go up but if they have an investment they draw from to supplement, it isn't like they can raise it from a 4% withdraw to a 7% and hope to have it last.

Getting it back under 2% is important. But the inflation people are mad at is not the .4% over. That adds 4 cents to a $10.00 Big Mac combo meal. It is the inflation that was 8%. Our view of inflation is a lagging indicator.

Is that because of the current 2.4% inflation, or the previous much worse inflation.

I admit my inflation odometer is off. I was raised in a multi-generational house. My grandparents in the 60s always complained about the cost of things. They recalled when they could buy a gallon of milk for a nickel. This led me to a "that's what old people do" belief: They complain things don't cost what they did 50 years ago.

We have a price point in our mind, even if we have 5 years of no inflation we are going to recall the days we could get the Big Mac combo for under $10. It is etched.

In August 2024, inflation amounted to 2.5 percent, while wages grew by 4.6 percent. The inflation rate has not exceeded the rate of wage growth since January 2023.​
Bolding is theirs. That is wage growth, so it is at least people working and not a generic income which would include the investor class. So some people are doing better, and some are doing worse. That is pretty standard in recoveries. But 18 months of wages outpacing inflation is pretty good. You can see the chart at the link, overall wages have largely done a good amount better than inflation.

And yes, that is going to be uneven. To be honest, my wages sure aren't doing better than inflation. Some people are doing quite well, many of them working class. UPS drivers, and longshoremen will be soon, travel nurses, and UAW workers. Those aren't CEOs.

And the hardest hit will be people on fixed income, as social security may go up but if they have an investment they draw from to supplement, it isn't like they can raise it from a 4% withdraw to a 7% and hope to have it last.

Getting it back under 2% is important. But the inflation people are mad at is not the .4% over. That adds 4 cents to a $10.00 Big Mac combo meal. It is the inflation that was 8%. Our view of inflation is a lagging indicator.
Inflation rate today is fine. Prices went up 20 percent under Biden. At one point it marked a 41 year high. So while inflation leveled off prices remain elevated. That’s why people say inflation and the economy is the number one issue. They don’t care what some ws economist tells them. They know prices of a bag of chips or car insurance or whatever skyrocketed and they feel it in their weekly budget

Excellent, informed post.

VPM openly adores Trump and his record of cheating on his wives. Then, VPM comes on here and tries to give us sermonettes about how important marriage is, be faithful to your wife etc. We all see it.
Vpm helps the poor. His congregation. It’s not personal. He understands the sins but recognizes the greater good comes with trump. With Harris cokes high prices, crime, abortions, open borders, etc. Vpm leads. You follow

Personally, I think Trump on Rogan would go similarly to how it went down last week on the Flagrant podcast, where they gave him enough room to ramble on and they openly laughed in his face.

It's almost sad how confused and bewildered he has become. He was trying to call himself a genius and didn't get that they were making fun of him.
Rogan wants his show to be sensational. He has every reason to encourage Trump to say sensational things, which is Trump's natural tendency anyway.

Inflation rate today is fine. Prices went up 20 percent under Biden. At one point it marked a 41 year high. So while inflation leveled off prices remain elevated. That’s why people say inflation and the economy is the number one issue. They don’t care what some ws economist tells them. They know prices of a bag of chips or whatever skyrocketed
Prices are high, I'm not disputing that. They are high compared to 2019. They are also high compared to 1902. But neither of those days are coming back. The Fed will not want deflation, that scares the crap out of economists and bankers. And it should others. If your company used to sell widgets for $100 now have to sell them for $85, what happens to the widgets produced using workers and materials that cost $90 to make them? You are just going to eat $5 on every widget? What happens when you tell your workers instead of their 3% raise they are getting cut 3%? Deflation is bad because what you made today cost more to make than you can sell it for in the future.

Hoos was asking about the 2.4%. That number isn't too bad. If you want to punish Biden for the bad inflation years, fine. It was bad. The inflation today is liveable but not preferred.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I explained myself above. I find the argument about the current rate of inflation pedantic when people are complaining about "inflation" in the news or in normal communication. As the Gallup poll I linked shows, everyone understands that using that word, in general parlance, captures all recent increases in cost of living, not just the one right this very second. Wasting so much ink on the argument that economists use the term rate of inflation to mean just what is going on right now seems like a dodge by the Dems (so is the conspiracy theory that people don't really feel the affects of this, it's just mind control by the Right Wing Media).

And you can cite average stats all you want--the polling I linked tells the tale. I don't fit any of the categories of people you list that are doing "quite well" and I'm not sure why I should change my opinion on whether things are affecting me or not based on other people not being affected.

Going forward, which candidate is least likely to implement policies that will not create more inflation? As I stated previously, I don't think there is a good option. I can correlate lower inflation to Trump's policies vs. Biden/Harris, but have no idea what is coming down the pike or whether or not Trump just got lucky his first go around. His current policy prescriptions sure seem to portend higher inflation, not less.

Prices are high, I'm not disputing that. They are high compared to 2019. They are also high compared to 1902. But neither of those days are coming back. The Fed will not want deflation, that scares the crap out of economists and bankers. And it should others. If your company used to sell widgets for $100 now have to sell them for $85, what happens to the widgets produced using workers and materials that cost $90 to make them? You are just going to eat $5 on every widget? What happens when you tell your workers instead of their 3% raise they are getting cut 3%? Deflation is bad because what you made today cost more to make than you can sell it for in the future.

Hoos was asking about the 2.4%. That number isn't too bad. If you want to punish Biden for the bad inflation years, fine. It was bad. The inflation today is liveable but not preferred.
My problem with Biden is that it was an ideology. They wanted permanent benefits. Lasting cradle to grave. The expansion of the social safety net. And here they are still trying to forgive student loans. Harris $45k already in free shit. So they got blocked and things tempered. Left to their own devices I believe the freebies will return and they’ll continue to make things more expensive. They’re the free pizza no homework clan.

And from the way things are starting to look trump is following along. He may end up no better.

These are incredibly bad candidates

Reactions: BradStevens
I explained myself above. I find the argument about the current rate of inflation pedantic when people are complaining about "inflation" in the news or in normal communication. As the Gallup poll I linked shows, everyone understands that using that word, in general parlance, captures all recent increases in cost of living, not just the one right this very second. Wasting so much ink on the argument that economists use the term rate of inflation to mean just what is going on right now seems like a dodge by the Dems (so is the conspiracy theory that people don't really feel the affects of this, it's just mind control by the Right Wing Media).

And you can cite average stats all you want--the polling I linked tells the tale. I don't fit any of the categories of people you list that are doing "quite well" and I'm not sure why I should change my opinion on whether things are affecting me or not based on other people not being affected.

Going forward, which candidate is least likely to implement policies that will not create more inflation? As I stated previously, I don't think there is a good option. I can correlate lower inflation to Trump's policies vs. Biden/Harris, but have no idea what is coming down the pike or whether or not Trump just got lucky his first go around. His current policy prescriptions sure seem to portend higher inflation, not less.
Excellent post

I can correlate lower inflation to Trump's policies vs. Biden/Harris, but have no idea what is coming down the pike or whether or not Trump just got lucky his first go around. His current policy prescriptions sure seem to portend higher inflation, not less.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, but I don't think they're comparable.

Yes, but how long do we remember inflation? I said our reaction to it is a lagging indicator and used my grandparents. I mentioned the 5 years of no inflation will not get the Big Mac meal back under $10.00. Are we doomed to cry about 2019 prices for the next 70 years? When do we set new price points in our mind? I am not defending where we were during the really high inflation. I am suggesting where we are is acceptable and barring a crisis of unimaginable scale, that Big Mac combo isn't coming back down under $10 ever.

I theorize that UPS workers, even with their huge contract that dwarfed inflation, are still mad about inflation.

I imagine law firms have adjusted their billable amounts to somewhat offset inflation. Wages are going up faster than inflation, and have been for 18 months. WAGES. There should be a lot of people doing better, surveys don't suggest that. In our minds, we want the huge raise but want everything else to cost the same. Wage growth is one of the top causes of inflation, so it just can't happen.

At some point we have to fix a new price point in our minds and move on. Fixating on 2019 prices isn't going to solve anything. We are close to where we need to be. That is good.

This isn't a commercial for Harris, if people want to vote Trump because inflation WAS too high, fine. I'm not trying to sell that part of it. Just we need to reset our price points and move on.

I don't understand what point you're making in relation to the quote you pulled. Can you explain?

Comparing the raw inflation rates under Trump and Biden without any other context -- i.e. the pandemic and supply chain collapse -- is an apples to oranges comparison.

Reactions: Bowlmania

The whole inflation argument is a nonstarter. Core inflation excludes housing, food, energy, cars, and interest rates. These are items that soak up all paychecks every month, have materially increased under Biden policies, and are causing distress for millions .

Biden’s crazy out of control spending in his first couple of years put way too much cash in the system and as a result the price of various assets, which aren’t part of inflation, went kaboom.

Reactions: stollcpa
Comparing the raw inflation rates under Trump and Biden without any other context -- i.e. the pandemic and supply chain collapse -- is an apples to oranges comparison.
I.e. Biden’s crazy out of control free cheese spending. It’s important to be accurate

My problem with Biden is that it was an ideology. They wanted permanent benefits. Lasting cradle to grave. The expansion of the social safety net. And here they are still trying to forgive student loans. Harris $45k already in free shit. So they got blocked and things tempered. Left to their own devices I believe the freebies will return and they’ll continue to make things more expensive. They’re the free pizza no homework clan.

And from the way things are starting to look trump is following along. He may end up no better.

These are incredibly bad candidates
So, I glanced an article yesterday I think it was the one below that essentially said Biden delegated all economic policy to his progressive flank for the first few years and it was only wrested back from them once inflation got out of control and Republicans took the house. They essentially got everything they wanted.

I don't think or know if this is Biden's preferred economic policy but he didn't put up much of a fight in stopping it. I've been thinking lately that had we gotten Biden from 20 years ago in 2020. Not woke, willing to take a larger policy oversight and staffing role, his term might have been more successful and he might be cruising to an easy re-election win. But alas, he didn't have the stamina or the inclination to keep his progressive flank at bay and it cost him. The only possible exception being Israel where's he's stood pretty firm in the face of this administration's jihadist sympathies.

Yes, but how long do we remember inflation? I said our reaction to it is a lagging indicator and used my grandparents. I mentioned the 5 years of no inflation will not get the Big Mac meal back under $10.00. Are we doomed to cry about 2019 prices for the next 70 years? When do we set new price points in our mind? I am not defending where we were during the really high inflation. I am suggesting where we are is acceptable and barring a crisis of unimaginable scale, that Big Mac combo isn't coming back down under $10 ever.

I theorize that UPS workers, even with their huge contract that dwarfed inflation, are still mad about inflation.

I imagine law firms have adjusted their billable amounts to somewhat offset inflation. Wages are going up faster than inflation, and have been for 18 months. WAGES. There should be a lot of people doing better, surveys don't suggest that. In our minds, we want the huge raise but want everything else to cost the same. Wage growth is one of the top causes of inflation, so it just can't happen.

At some point we have to fix a new price point in our minds and move on. Fixating on 2019 prices isn't going to solve anything. We are close to where we need to be. That is good.

This isn't a commercial for Harris, if people want to vote Trump because inflation WAS too high, fine. I'm not trying to sell that part of it. Just we need to reset our price points and move on.
That’s a false assumption. My business hasn’t adjusted. That’s California politician logic. Well inflation is high so raise your prices. It presupposes people can afford it. Many no longer can.

Reactions: BradStevens
So, I glanced an article yesterday I think it was the one below that essentially said Biden delegated all economic policy to his progressive flank for the first few years and it was only wrested back from them once inflation got out of control and Republicans took the house. They essentially got everything they wanted.

I don't think or know if this is Biden's preferred economic policy but he didn't put up much of a fight in stopping it. I've been thinking lately that had we gotten Biden from 20 years ago in 2020. Not woke, willing to take a larger policy oversight role, his term might have been more successful and he might be cruising to an easy re-election win. But alas, he didn't have the stamina or the inclination to keep his progressive flank at bay and it cost him. The only possible exception being Israel where's he's stood pretty firm in the face of this administration's jihadist sympathies.
In every way he was co-opted by progressives including his fdr aspirations. Now why on earth would we go back to it with Harris and walz.

Reactions: stollcpa

Well, many people are going to vote for Trump because of this. Whether or not it’s rational for them to do so is a different discussion.

If the shoes were on the other feet, and Trump had been in office when this happened and the rate had also returned closer to normal before his term ended, I’m sure the Dems would be messaging like the Rs are here.

Politics and rationality are usually strangers to one another.

Sorry, Marv, but what you're arguing is that "it's all just in your mind. This feeling you have is your fault because you haven't 'reset your price point and moved on.'" That dog won't hunt in the political sphere.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way in relation to other issues? "Oh you think college costs too much? Well, it's not coming back down, so just reset your price point in your head and go to that community college instead of your dream school." Or why not apply the same reasoning to the other side of the equation--income: "Oh, social security benefits were cut? Quit crying about it and just reset your expectations and move on. No point letting it affect you."

Regarding why people aren't resetting, it's because inflation is supposed to be (we think of it as or are accustomed to it being) gradual. One can both psychologically and financially deal with gradual change. Increase the amplitude or frequency of the change, though, and humans have a hard time adjusting. That's what we are seeing in the polling data--people still haven't adjusted to the quick, large increase in cost of living (which they refer to as inflation).

Last edited:

Dude, you are BRINGING it today. Nicely done.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT