ADVERTISEMENT

Just Confirmed: IU will have a new coach NEXT YEAR

When Red Auerbach drafted Landon Turner to the Celtics (symbolically of course) after that tragic accident, that one example speaks volumes about Bob Knight. He's anything but he monster the haters ramble about.

Almost all a-holes are nice at some times.

Did Bob do some good stuff? Sure. Was he also a flaming a-hole a ton of times? Heck yes.

Knight intentionally tried to screw the program after he left. He can kiss my bare behind. And the fact he refuses to come back even when his teams/players are honored proves what a self-centered child he is.

Most of those guys were Plan B recruits that Knight only pursued after striking out with better players. Collier, Recker, Fife and Jeffries were far and away the best of those players. Two transferred out, one stayed two years, one stayed four years. The results on the floor confirmed the drop off in recruiting.

And the only reason he got Jeffries was because the kid was from Bloomington and wanted his family to go to all the games. Otherwise, he'd never have been a Hoosier in a million years.

Shortcoming? The chair throw.....poor aim, a little to the left.
Lapse in judgement? Sure....Offering Richard Mandeville a schollie .....
Mistreatment of anyone? You bet...The Purdue mule could have been given a bit more airtime to make his case...
Did I cover everything?
Does your tail wag uncontrollably and do you pee on the rug every time his name is mentioned?

Almost all a-holes are nice at some times.

Did Bob do some good stuff? Sure. Was he also a flaming a-hole a ton of times? Heck yes.

Knight intentionally tried to screw the program after he left. He can kiss my bare behind. And the fact he refuses to come back even when his teams/players are honored proves what a self-centered child he is.
He intentionally tried to screw the program when he "left"? Thats like the Menendez brothers lawyer asking the judge sentencing them to have mercy on two poor orphans.

Yet, the core of Hornsby, Cov, Odle, Newton, Fife, and JJ went to a title game... Haston and Guyton were damn good players. You could just as easil conclude that a nice turnaround was happening.
He was a fantastic coach, one of the greatest ever. But there's no guarantee that that team goes as far if he's their coach. And recruiting wasn't rebounding because his heart wasn't in it.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
People rip Crean for not getting past the Sweet 16 in Dance and say they don't care about winning the Big Ten twice.

So, forgive me for looking at Knight's record in the Dance those last years. "Just making it" doesn't cut it for me.
If Crean hadn't missed two of the last 4 he wouldn't be getting as much heat. Oh yeah, he doesn't have any tourney success either. And oh yeah, has never made it there 3 years in a row Geesh. Those years of Knight "just making it" were his bad years. Creams bad years are truly bad- no tournament at all!

Most of those guys were Plan B recruits that Knight only pursued after striking out with better players. Collier, Recker, Fife and Jeffries were far and away the best of those players. Two transferred out, one stayed two years, one stayed four years. The results on the floor confirmed the drop off in recruiting.
You're clearly not an IU fan. You didn't even list Haston who was an all American and 16th pick in the NBA draft. Also no mention of Guyton or Coverdale? You're beyond lost on this one.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
An their results on the floor confirmed what? Most of those guys played in a national title game. What terrible results they had.

People rip Crean for not getting past the Sweet 16 in Dance and say they don't care about winning the Big Ten twice.

So, forgive me for looking at Knight's record in the Dance those last years. "Just making it" doesn't cut it for me.
You get a little slack when you have 3 titles with the school and 5 Final Fours. You don't think that buys you a break?

Reactions: IUPaterade724
You're clearly not an IU fan. You didn't even list Haston who was an all American and 16th pick in the NBA draft. Also no mention of Guyton or Coverdale? You're beyond lost on this one.
I'm a huge IU fan, so you're way off on that one. Loved Haston, but he wasn't even offered by the two major programs on his home state. Coverdale was also lightly recruited, and AJ couldn't get an offer from the Big Ten school an hour from his home (he did have an MSU offer, though). Great Hoosiers all but, if the subject is recruiting, none were heavily pursued. If you're an IU fan it's strange that you wouldn't be aware of these things.

An their results on the floor confirmed what? Most of those guys played in a national title game. What terrible results they had.
Look at Knight's last five or six years at IU. As recruiting dropped off, the results of the team dropped off. It's not hard to see if you actually followed the program then.

I'm a huge IU fan, so you're way off on that one. Loved Haston, but he wasn't even offered by the two major programs on his home state. Coverdale was also lightly recruited, and AJ couldn't get an offer from the Big Ten school an hour from his home (he did have an MSU offer, though). Great Hoosiers all but, if the subject is recruiting, none were heavily pursued. If you're an IU fan it's strange that you wouldn't be aware of these things.
Yep and Haston was redshirted. I believe coverdale was as well.

You get a little slack when you have 3 titles with the school and 5 Final Fours. You don't think that buys you a break?
He got tons of slack and was handed many, many breaks through the years. Are you sure you followed IU while Knoght was the coach?

If that was actually the case, you'd be far more knowledgable than you are.
"knowledgable"? That sums it up, Bob.....That is rich.....lol

Are you denying that he tried to get the other coaches to quit and have the team quit, as well?

Haston left for NBA on his own volition; he said as much in interviews at the time. Recker just as likely left the Program because Felling slapped him, granted that was before Knight was fired. During Davis' deposition as part of Felling's suit against Knight, he indicated the talk about Knight trying to steer players away was 'hearsay.' Treloar said that Knight told him he would take care of him--there was no attempt to pull him away from IU.

Haston left for NBA on his own volition; he said as much in interviews at the time. Recker just as likely left the Program because Felling slapped him, granted that was before Knight was fired. During Davis' deposition as part of Felling's suit against Knight, he indicated the talk about Knight trying to steer players away was 'hearsay.' Treloar said that Knight told him he would take care of him--there was no attempt to pull him away from IU.
Haston left after the 2000-2001 season, not after Knight was fired. Recker didn't like playing for Knoght and admitted he committed before he should've. "Hearsay" was pretty common knowledge around the team. And "taking care" of Treloar meant he'd look after him financially if he left the program.

Haston left after the 2000-2001 season, not after Knight was fired. Recker didn't like playing for Knoght and admitted he committed before he should've. "Hearsay" was pretty common knowledge around the team. And "taking care" of Treloar meant he'd look after him financially if he left the program.

Knight was fired in Sept 2000; Haston left after that season.
Recker didn't like being slapped by some guy named Ronny.
Taking care of Treloar meant providing an A+ reference if he so desired.

They all turned out to be great players. Coverdale was Mr. Basketball. Guyton was first team all American and played in the NBA. I've never heard someone criticize a coach for recruiting players who go on to be all Americans and play in the NBA.

Look at Knight's last five or six years at IU. As recruiting dropped off, the results of the team dropped off. It's not hard to see if you actually followed the program then.
It fell off from the Knight norm no question. But most of those guys I listed were still on the 02 final four team. And it's not as if those last Knight teams were terrible. They just weren't the Knight teams we were accustomed to.

He got tons of slack and was handed many, many breaks through the years. Are you sure you followed IU while Knoght was the coach?
I was a season ticket holder for over 20 years while Knight was here. Still have a 3-4 ft tall stack of the old Inside Indiana magazines in the basement. I think I followed it pretty closely.

Good catch. Kind of like catching you inventing your historical knowledge of Knight and IU basketball . . . "per say". Lol
Good catch. Kind of like catching you inventing your historical knowledge of Knight and IU basketball . . . "per say". Lol
They all turned out to be great players. Coverdale was Mr. Basketball. Guyton was first team all American and played in the NBA. I've never heard someone criticize a coach for recruiting players who go on to be all Americans and play in the NBA.
Bob
pass the popcorn......

Reactions: cshartle123
He intentionally tried to screw the program when he "left"? Thats like the Menendez brothers lawyer asking the judge sentencing them to have mercy on two poor orphans.
Thats plain stupid...and completely uninformed. I wont comment on your posts again. Not worth the meager effort...

I was a season ticket holder for over 20 years while Knight was here. Still have a 3-4 ft tall stack of the old Inside Indiana magazines in the basement. I think I followed it pretty closely.
That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Sitting in the stands watching games tells you next to nothing about who Knight was and is..,sorry.

That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Sitting in the stands watching games tells you next to nothing about who Knight was and is..,sorry.
Then tell us, genius...who was he? Your next door neighbor? Your ex-brother-in-law? Surely you're a genuine insider on RMK......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT