ADVERTISEMENT

Just Confirmed: IU will have a new coach NEXT YEAR

I said two weeks ago that a very big booster at Missouri had called Crean to tell him they would love to have him as their next coach. Our info seems to be matching up.

Are boosters allowed to tamper with coaches under contract?

That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Sitting in the stands watching games tells you next to nothing about who Knight was and is..,sorry.
Considering you've been a member for about 6 months I assume you're part of this new generation of fans. If you weren't around for the Knight years you wouldn't know what kind of guy he was.

They all turned out to be great players. Coverdale was Mr. Basketball. Guyton was first team all American and played in the NBA. I've never heard someone criticize a coach for recruiting players who go on to be all Americans and play in the NBA.
As I said, they were great Hoosiers. But they weren't even recruiting priorities for Knight. He wanted other kids first.

Considering you've been a member for about 6 months I assume you're part of this new generation of fans. If you weren't around for the Knight years you wouldn't know what kind of guy he was.
When Kirk Haston's mom died in that tornado....guess who went to Tennessee to support that young man at that same time? The bully, RMK....but, this new generation won't hear about that....will they?

So you had them over 40 years?
Nope...hasn't even been 40 years since I first bought them. But it was over 30 years. I definitely paid some good money to the university over that time period. But IU has given me much more in return than I could ever repay. I just didn't want to support the kind of program we are anymore. Hopefully I'll get them back some day.

I think the whole "Knight didn't recruit towards the end and the program went downhill" argument has been extremely exaggerated by Crean apologists and people who are upset with how Knight has held a grudge for so long. Here are Knight's last 5 recruiting classes:
1996: Guyton, Lewis, Collier, Jimenez
1997: Haston, Recker
1998: Fife, Hornsby, Odle
1999: Coverdale, Leach, Newton
2000: Jeffries, Moye, Owens, Roberts

He was still bringing in elite talent until the very end. Let's not forget those last 3 classes were a few different bounces away from winning a national title in 2002. The bottom line is that narrative is way oversold these days IMO.

You look at those names and assume those were great classes because the names are recognizable NOW. Those were definitely not great classes at that time. Guys like Recker and Collier were his best gets (pre-Jeffries) and those two couldn't get out fast enough. Jeffries was his first really good player of natural talent RMK got in a very long time. Fife was decent but the other guys were coached up to become good. To imply those classes were highly ranked is fools gold. Coverdale was a walk-on for garsh sake.

Reactions: Statey
You look at those names and assume those were great classes because the names are recognizable NOW. Those were definitely not great classes at that time. Guys like Recker and Collier were his best gets (pre-Jeffries) and those two couldn't get out fast enough. Jeffries was his first really good player of natural talent RMK got in a very long time. Fife was decent but the other guys were coached up to become good. To imply those classes were highly ranked is fools gold. Coverdale was a walk-on for garsh sake.
No one implied they were highly ranked. I said, which is not even up for debate, that most of those players went on to have VERY good careers. It's not as if the talent level took a nose dive at the end. Those are some pretty solid classes results wise, especially for the worst stretch in Knight's career.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Numbnuts...Ive been on this site since Bruce Strum owned it in the early '90s. Silly boy...how long have you been here? Obviously not long enough. People change their handles...duh...lol.
So what was your handle before and why would you change it? I can guarantee you you're way too young to have been around in the early 90s. It's actually quite obvious you're a millennial with your soft skin and all of your insults. Funny how people like you don't see that.

Nope...hasn't even been 40 years since I first bought them. But it was over 30 years. I definitely paid some good money to the university over that time period. But IU has given me much more in return than I could ever repay. I just didn't want to support the kind of program we are anymore. Hopefully I'll get them back some day.
Amazing how the Crean tenure has created so much apathy, which seems far worse than anger or disappointment.

Are boosters allowed to tamper with coaches under contract?
There's no rule that prevents it, nor is there any rule that prevents any other university representative from reaching out to any prospective coaching candidate. Pro sports leagues are regulated by such standards, but colleges are not.

No one implied they were highly ranked. I said, which is not even up for debate, that most of those players went on to have VERY good careers. It's not as if the talent level took a nose dive at the end. Those are some pretty solid classes results wise, especially for the worst stretch in Knight's career.

Right, but so did guys like Troy Williams, Victor, Hulls, Watford. I mean we could sit here all day but someone had to get points. I just don't think the recruiting was anything above average at all considering the program Indiana had at the time. RMKs recruiting did fall off which is why the results were minimal there at the end. His coaching didn't skip a beat, his talent did. Indiana was routinely getting players who had long NBA careers. Those guys like Haston, Guyton, Recker, Hornsby...etc never had much of a career past IU which speaks volumes. Jefferies is the only one who sustained a long term NBA career.

I wasn't there....so I am denying nothing, or confirming for that matter ......were you?

All we have to do is go by Bob's words. He say he offered to pay Davis if he didn't find another job. But Davis did find another job......and Bob was PI$$ED he took it.

He also blocked May's kid from going to IU.

If Crean hadn't missed two of the last 4 he wouldn't be getting as much heat. Oh yeah, he doesn't have any tourney success either. And oh yeah, has never made it there 3 years in a row Geesh. Those years of Knight "just making it" were his bad years. Creams bad years are truly bad- no tournament at all!

Not much difference to me in not making it and getting bounced in the first round by a team worse than you.

Reactions: mazz
All we have to do is go by Bob's words. He say he offered to pay Davis if he didn't find another job. But Davis did find another job......and Bob was PI$$ED he took it.

He also blocked May's kid from going to IU.
Total BS....the situation with Davis was not so cut and dried. He took the program and Knight felt betrayed...so what? Where is the interference from Knight? May? Scott May would not allow his kid to go to IU under these conditions...He was quite vocal about his displeasure. He didn't need any help from Knight.

I can guarantee you you're way too young to have been around in the early 90s. It's actually quite obvious you're a millennial with your soft skin and all of your insults. Funny how people like you don't see that.

Umm . . . wrong.

BTW, IIRC IUColorado played football for IU. You might give this a rest because (1) there's no profit in the argument, and (2) you're dead wrong about who IUC is.

You get a little slack when you have 3 titles with the school and 5 Final Fours. You don't think that buys you a break?

If you're still trying.....sure. Even Bob admitted he mailed it in his last 5 years. Nothing I hate more than hypocrites. If he wasn't going to give his best, he should have quit or been fired. I don't care if he had won 10 titles.

I went to IU in "82 and have been a die-hard ever since. Used to be the biggest Knight fan around.

Then, I couldn't defend his behavior anymore just because he won some ball games. On top of that, he mailed it in his last 5 years.

Nail in the coffin was all the crap he pulled after he left.

Do your own research.
Trust me, I'm ok. You brought it up as if to suggest we should bow down to the guy for all his insults and condescending remarks. I imagine he graduated in the last 10 years or so which would make my original assessment spot on.

Trust me, I'm ok. You brought it up as if to suggest we should bow down to the guy for all his insults and condescending remarks. I imagine he graduated in the last 10 years or so which would make my original assessment spot on.

Naww, I was just responding to your highly inaccurate guesses about the guy and his background, which you attempted to use as insults.

Which makes you not OK. If you had any stones you'd man up and admit that you were wrong. But I suspect that you don't that in ya . . . .

Naww, I was just responding to your highly inaccurate guesses about the guy and his background, which you attempted to use as insults.

Which makes you not OK. If you had any stones you'd man up and admit that you were wrong. But I suspect that you don't that in ya . . . .
What were those inaccurate guesses? I said I assume the guy is part of the new generation of fans who weren't around for the Knight years. You're saying I'm wrong because he played football at IU, but you won't state the years. What does that have to do with anything? That he played football at IU?

What were those inaccurate guesses? I said I assume the guy is part of the new generation of fans who weren't around for the Knight years. You're saying I'm wrong because he played football at IU, but you won't state the years. What does that have to do with anything? That he played football at IU?

I didn't say "because". I said "BTW" he played football at IU.

I did say your assumption was wrong because it is. If you want to know when IUColorado was at IU, ask him, not me.

Quit acting like your hero was a victim that did nothing wrong.
never said he did nothing wrong....but he didn't "leave"....he was run out on a rail.
I didn't say "because". I said "BTW" he played football at IU.

I did say your assumption was wrong because it is. If you want to know when IUColorado was at IU, ask him, not me.
You brought it up....then bailed with "ask him, not me"? Weak....

Total BS....the situation with Davis was not so cut and dried. He took the program and Knight felt betrayed...so what? Where is the interference from Knight? May? Scott May would not allow his kid to go to IU under these conditions...He was quite vocal about his displeasure. He didn't need any help from Knight.

Why should he "feel betrayed"? It was the opportunity of a lifetime. Bob wanted the program to implode, which would have happened if Davis turned down the job.

Why should he "feel betrayed"? It was the opportunity of a lifetime. Bob wanted the program to implode, which would have happened if Davis turned down the job.
where is there any evidence that RMK wanted the program to implode? His war was with Myles Brand....

where is there any evidence that RMK wanted the program to implode? His war was with Myles Brand....

For the last time......because he was PI$$ED at Davis for taking the job.

He told Davis he'd pay his salary "if he didn't find a job." Well, he found a job. So Bob shouldn't have been mad......at least not THAT mad.

He wanted Davis to turn down IU because he knew most of the players would leave too.

And if his war was "with Brand", why does he still refuse to come back when most fans are on their knees begging him to.....especially the players he claims to "love with all his heart"?

For the last time......because he was PI$$ED at Davis for taking the job.

He told Davis he'd pay his salary "if he didn't find a job." Well, he found a job. So Bob shouldn't have been mad......at least not THAT mad.

He wanted Davis to turn down IU because he knew most of the players would leave too.

And if his war was "with Brand", why does he still refuse to come back when most fans are on their knees begging him to.....especially the players he claims to "love with all his heart"?
I have no issue with Knight's decision to move on for good. It works for him....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT