ADVERTISEMENT

Just Confirmed: IU will have a new coach NEXT YEAR

He's always told his version of the truth, which hasn't always been anyone else's version. Anyone who's followed Knight through the years knows this.
You haven't been on this board very long...at least not as Bob....and if anyone is well-versed on their version of the truth, which hasn't always been anyone else's version....it would most certainly be you, Bob. You can identify with your post.

Reactions: Satimon
You haven't been on this board very long...at least not as Bob....and if anyone is well-versed on their version of the truth, which hasn't always been anyone else's version....it would most certainly be you, Bob. You can identify with your post.
You're right, I haven't been here long. I was just trying to give you a more accurate picture of Knight, as you likely have limited knowledge of him based on your posts.

You're right, I haven't been here long. I was just trying to give you a more accurate picture of Knight, as you likely have limited knowledge of him based on your posts.
Now you are directing "you likely have" to a complete stranger? In addition to owning you own personal version of the truth...you are also psychic?

I've followed Bob Knight's career since 1971.....and I'm quite confident and satisfied with my knowledge and opinion of the man. Your brief tenure on this board adds nothing to the equation, beyond yet further mindless drivel.

Now you are directing "you likely have" to a complete stranger? In addition to owning you own personal version of the truth...you are also psychic?
I'm directing it to whomever posts under your name and the "content" included therein. In my time here, I haven't seen anything from you indicating a knowledge of Knight. Like most of your other posts, I assume you're just trying to start something again.

I'm directing it to whomever posts under your name and the "content" included therein. In my time here, I haven't seen anything from you indicating a knowledge of Knight. Like most of your other posts, I assume you're just trying to start something again.
Bob....are you a pariah by choice or just navigating a long string of bad luck?

Does the fact that Crean's son is committed to IU baseball play any roll into his possible firing?

Do you think he would let his son commit if he knew his job was in jeopardy? I bet he was given some type of security.

Do you think he would let his son commit if he knew his job was in jeopardy? I bet he was given some type of security.
Crean can afford to pony up any tuition to any university his son chooses to attend.....Those millions of benjamins can handle it.

Does the fact that Crean's son is committed to IU baseball play any roll into his possible firing?
Not really his son was committed to Cincy & changed his mind to commit to IU. So he could always change his mind again.

Instead of recruiting, he went fishing.

He also mailed it in when it came to practice. I remember a top recruit saying he picked another school saying, "If Knight isn't going to give 100%, why should he expect his players to?"
Often times a good leader doesn't have to be involved in every facet of the program. If you can delegate well and have good pieces around you, it's not a head coach's job to be involved in every detail of running a program.

You could say the same thing about Coach K with how much time he devotes to USA Basketball. Time spent doing something and the effectiveness of what you're doing isn't always a direct correlation. A program like IU needs a leader, not a micromanager.

Often times a good leader doesn't have to be involved in every facet of the program. If you can delegate well and have good pieces around you, it's not a head coach's job to be involved in every detail of running a program.

You could say the same thing about Coach K with how much time he devotes to USA Basketball. Time spent doing something and the effectiveness of what you're doing isn't always a direct correlation. A program like IU needs a leader, not a micromanager.
But K still is actively involved in recruiting, and BK really tired of it and didn't get nearly enough involved in his last few years. He had a real distaste for it and it showed, as did the results. He was used to a different era when it was a far more pleasant experience for him.

Reactions: Satimon
But K still is actively involved in recruiting, and BK really tired of it and didn't get nearly enough involved in his last few years. He had a real distaste for it and it showed, as did the results. He was used to a different era when it was a far more pleasant experience for him.
I think the whole "Knight didn't recruit towards the end and the program went downhill" argument has been extremely exaggerated by Crean apologists and people who are upset with how Knight has held a grudge for so long. Here are Knight's last 5 recruiting classes:
1996: Guyton, Lewis, Collier, Jimenez
1997: Haston, Recker
1998: Fife, Hornsby, Odle
1999: Coverdale, Leach, Newton
2000: Jeffries, Moye, Owens, Roberts

He was still bringing in elite talent until the very end. Let's not forget those last 3 classes were a few different bounces away from winning a national title in 2002. The bottom line is that narrative is way oversold these days IMO.

But he is a bully. And he doesn't practice what he preaches, particularly with respect to personal responsibility and honesty. And it's not unfair to say that he placed his own interests above those of the University in many instances.

I would suggest those things, while not erasing his legacy, make it far less incredible than it should be.
I just disagree. I don't think it effects his legacy at all. 99% of his former players still speak very highly of him and credit him with big parts of their success...personally and professionally. You can't take that away from him.

Again, I disagree with his hard stance against the university these days, but not showing up for a reunion does absolutely nothing to erase the achievements he and his team's accomplished.

I'd be curious to hear specifics of when he put his own interests above the interests of the university while he was employed by IU. Not after the fallout, but while he was an IU employee.

Good God! He started him in Maui. The kid couldn't play against me. If that is the nepotism I've never seen it in my lifetime.

But IU started sucking right at the time he delegated more.....so that shows he wasn't as good as a "leader" as he and his apologists claim.

But IU started sucking right at the time he delegated more.....so that shows he wasn't as good as a "leader" as he and his apologists claim.
Sucking? That's a bit of a stretch. In Knight's last 10 years IU finished top 3 in the Big Ten 7 out of 10 years. That included 2 Elite 8s and 1 Final Four. His worst finish was 6th.

Yes his tournament success fell off the last 5-6 years but he never once missed the NCAA Tournament. I wouldn't say that's sucking.

Sucking? That's a bit of a stretch. In Knight's last 10 years IU finished top 3 in the Big Ten 7 ut of 10 years. That included 2 Elite 8s and 1 Final Four. His worst finish was 6th.

Yes his tournament success fell off the last 5-6 years but he never once missed the NCAA Tournament. I wouldn't say that's sucking.
RMK haters will never acknowledge the credit he is due....wouldn't waste your time with them.

RMK haters will never acknowledge the credit he is due....wouldn't waste your time with them.
It's a prime example of group think. If someone says something enough times, no matter how ridiculous it is, some people will convince themselves it's true.

When Red Auerbach drafted Landon Turner to the Celtics (symbolically of course) after that tragic accident, that one example speaks volumes about Bob Knight. He's anything but he monster the haters ramble about.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
I think the whole "Knight didn't recruit towards the end and the program went downhill" argument has been extremely exaggerated by Crean apologists and people who are upset with how Knight has held a grudge for so long. Here are Knight's last 5 recruiting classes:
1996: Guyton, Lewis, Collier, Jimenez
1997: Haston, Recker
1998: Fife, Hornsby, Odle
1999: Coverdale, Leach, Newton
2000: Jeffries, Moye, Owens, Roberts

He was still bringing in elite talent until the very end. Let's not forget those last 3 classes were a few different bounces away from winning a national title in 2002. The bottom line is that narrative is way oversold these days IMO.
Most of those guys were Plan B recruits that Knight only pursued after striking out with better players. Collier, Recker, Fife and Jeffries were far and away the best of those players. Two transferred out, one stayed two years, one stayed four years. The results on the floor confirmed the drop off in recruiting.

And his lapdogs will never acknowledge any shortcoming, lapse in judgment, or mistreatment of anyonel. It goes both ways.
Shortcoming? The chair throw.....poor aim, a little to the left.
Lapse in judgement? Sure....Offering Richard Mandeville a schollie .....
Mistreatment of anyone? You bet...The Purdue mule could have been given a bit more airtime to make his case...
Did I cover everything?

Last edited:
Most of those guys were Plan B recruits that Knight only pursued after striking out with better players. Collier, Recker, Fife and Jeffries were far and away the best of those players. Two transferred out, one stayed two years, one stayed four years. The results on the floor confirmed the drop off in recruiting.

Yet, the core of Hornsby, Cov, Odle, Newton, Fife, and JJ went to a title game... Haston and Guyton were damn good players. You could just as easil conclude that a nice turnaround was happening.

People rip Crean for not getting past the Sweet 16 in Dance and say they don't care about winning the Big Ten twice.

So, forgive me for looking at Knight's record in the Dance those last years. "Just making it" doesn't cut it for me.

People rip Crean for not getting past the Sweet 16 in Dance and say they don't care about winning the Big Ten twice.

So, forgive me for looking at Knight's record in the Dance those last years. "Just making it" doesn't cut it for me.
And Knight isn't here anymore....a minor difference from current state of affairs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT