ADVERTISEMENT

Just Confirmed: IU will have a new coach NEXT YEAR

I had breakfast today with an old friend who is about as close to the IU athletic department as anyone. A name that most posters here would probably recognize, especially if you live close to Bloomington/Indianapolis. He confirmed that Crean is definitely out at year's end and the coaching search is already underway behind the scenes. Crean is aware of this, as you would expect.

I had been told months ago that Crean would not be extended again, but it was pretty much a 50/50 from what I was hearing on whether or not he would be back next year. This was before the season. Today is the first time I heard from someone in the know that it would definitely end this year. Just passing along. Will post more when I get more information.
They also said crean was gone two years ago. Yawn.

I've said this for a couple of weeks now but glad you got it confirmed. Maybe we know the same people. Glass has been meeting with someone to talk replacements. He wants to hit a home run here to supplant his legacy at IU for years to come.
Yeah, but you also made up a story about IU sending people to the UA-UCLA game, so there's that.

what has Glass done that shows he is not willing to fire a coach because he has fired the football coach, a soccer coach who won a championship.

Totally different situations and in the case of the football coach he had no choice in the matter. He had to clean up his own mess after having extended him already knowing the football issues. Soccer is at a much much higher level for championships than mens bbal so the standard will be alot higher. Glass is tied to the hip with Crean period.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Totally different situations and in the case of the football coach he had no choice in the matter. He had to clean up his own mess after having extended him already knowing the football issues. Soccer is at a much much higher level for championships than mens bbal so the standard will be alot higher. Glass is tied to the hip with Crean period.
Way off!!

Reactions: mazz
Not really it's been confirmed on other sites & I spoke to one of the family members they were there. If I you weren't always trying to call me out I would share that info with you.
He is not worth the air to argue with because he is always right and will have to get the last word.

What about his actions not giving him an extension after winning the big ten last year even though Crean asked. What about not coming out this year with a vote of confidence. Those are actions

Well I sure hope he proves he actually has a pair and gets rid of him. I have my doubts but we shall soon find out I guess. Crean never should of lasted this long period.

Reactions: jaypay23
Well I sure hope he proves he actually has a pair and gets rid of him. I have my doubts but we shall soon find out I guess. Crean never should of lasted this long period.
I agree with you if Glass was making this decision on his own he might not but I'm pretty sure he had help in this decision

Reactions: mazz

Nine lives = Nine Years?

Google "Crean Hot seat" and you will get quite few results, over several years.

I understand being skeptical of anyone saying that he is gone. The problem is that they could be right, but then somehow something changes, TC wiggles out of it once again and survives till next time. It happened just last season where many said he "was gone" after the Duke game, and then the improbable happened.

So, I am caught between two thoughts

1. Paranoia: Once again expectations have been squashed to zero. It would be impossible to win at PU. It would be impossible to win a few (or more) games in the BTT. No chance that we can make the NCAA's.

Well, those impossibilities exist solely because of lowered expectations caused by Crean. This team has talent. It would be just like him to go on a run and wiggle out of this once again

and

2. The thought that his time is just up. How appropriate that a coach that seems to have 9 lives would be removed after year 9?

Reactions: Let 'er Fly
.....b/c he just won a big ten championship. Why would an AD have to come out with a vote of confidence after winning a title?
Not sure why just trying to get Bailey to understand that he is gone after the season.

This could possibly change my mind on renewing my season tickets next season.

This report squares with what I have heard from a booster who has his name on athletic facilities at IU. Yes, I am talking about a Mellencamp, Kauffman, Mohr, Simon, Skojdt, etc..... Not going to say which one.

I was in chat last night. I know which one.

Reactions: chris007
Big difference this time though. There is no hope, no big recruit coming in, and lots of departures. Completely different this time, plus the fact that it is 2 years later and things have not gotten better, plus less time left on the contract. Whatever happened 2 years ago is irrelevant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT