ADVERTISEMENT

Just burn it to the damn ground. JFC.

2 minutes ago ago you just said he wasn’t a guard by any definition of the word, so which is it? Regardless, Miami has been a fringe top 10 KenPom offensive efficiency team all year and the exact kind of team that IU has struggled with all year. Had we matched their energy and intensity no doubt it’s a ball game, but at the end of the day their guards hit shots all game and ours didn’t and that’s the quickest way to get bounced in this kind of setting.

But you’re selling Miami and their coaching staff awfully short suggesting the only reason they won is because they out-hustled us. They put on an offensive clinic for about 85% of the game.
Miami did out coach IU. No doubt about that. IU can't put two games together with high intensity.

I for sure will. I can remember 2 such over power plays on Race. And 1 on TJD even. He took only 1 outside shot. And he got his hands on numerous rebounded balls.

But for sure, if and when I watch it, if he started possessions largely on the perimeter and more often than not worked against us off the dribble from the outside…I’ll admit I saw it wrong.

But the only time I accept the coach speak statement of “we lost to a better team” or even “they were the better team” tonight…is when both teams put forth a good effort. And one team just out executes or out plays the other.

Tonight we got out hustled. They played harder. They wanted it more. They’re just better doesn’t apply. And it’s a cop out. And the reason our very talented, very experienced team lost way more games than it should have, I suspect, is “they were just better” is the type of thought that’s allowed to explain games like tonight.
Agree with most of this.

Miami is not a better team. They have one guard.

They simply wanted it more and busted ass to get it. IU seemed tired and ready to get on with life.

Reactions: 76-1
I for sure will. I can remember 2 such over power plays on Race. And 1 on TJD even. He took only 1 outside shot. And he got his hands on numerous rebounded balls.

But for sure, if and when I watch it, if he started possessions largely on the perimeter and more often than not worked against us off the dribble from the outside…I’ll admit I saw it wrong.

But the only time I accept the coach speak statement of “we lost to a better team” or even “they were the better team” tonight…is when both teams put forth a good effort. And one team just out executes or out plays the other.

Tonight we got out hustled. They played harder. They wanted it more. They’re just better doesn’t apply. And it’s a cop out. And the reason our very talented, very experienced team lost way more games than it should have, I suspect, is “they were just better” is the type of thought that’s allowed to explain games like tonight.
Your last paragraph is exactly correct. Miami gave more effort. They wanted it more. Our urgency and effort the last three minutes pissed me off. Why not the same effort from start to finish of the game?

Sampson's phone call violation was with Demetri McCamey, Devan Ebanks, etc

Eric Gordon was not involved.

EJ may not have been “involved,” but his rerecruitment certainly would have aroused the NCAA. If there were improper benefits offered to a Derek Elston (who wasn’t nearly the player EJ was), who’s to say there wasn’t something with EJ changing his commitment?

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

The overarching point is this—they hired a known cheater, he promised he wouldn’t do it again, he did it again, got caught, and lied about it. It never should have happened. Period.

Trayce was markedly better this year, and Trey improved his 3 pt shooting as much as anyone I've seen in a year. I agree Dunlop did not improve. Who's Dunlop?
Lol, exactly. If you don't even know the names of the damn players, I'm not going to listen to your take on their lack of improvement.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
There was a play under the basket with JHS and a couple Miami players. The ball was loose and both Miami players got on the floor. JHS just bent over and reached for the ball.

Rebound after rebound, they went hard after the ball and beat us to it.
I knew, from the first play when TJD didn't even attempt to block their shot, this team wasn't ready to play.

I swear, they were sleepwalking through the first half, woke up long enough to cut the lead and then take the lead, and then they just quit hustling.

Other teams are moving their feet, jockying for position on rebounds, hustling in general - not this team. They slow-walk everything unless they're on a fast break.

I've never been as frustrated with an IU team, and I've never seen a worse rebounding IU team - not even any other close to how bad this team was.

I'll be the heretic here - I'm not glad to see TJD go, but I won't miss him that much. We may finally get an offense that doesn't require him to play hero-ball (and I don't blame him for that) and make other people move instead of standing around. We will, for sure, miss his shot blocking ability, but he misses as many bunnies as he hits, and he's a turnover machine. Sorry - that's just the way I see it. Great guy, though - kid's going to do a lot beyond basketball.

Trayce was markedly better this year, and Trey improved his 3 pt shooting as much as anyone I've seen in a year. I agree Dunlop did not improve. Who's Dunlop?
Trey did improve, but that last few games, he didn't hit many. He probably had a good percentage, but teams must have started to respect that, because he wasn't as productive at the end.

Yes, Trayce was better, but my God - he misses so many EASY shots and he has a high amount of turnovers. He tries to put the ball on the floor when he's double-teamed and gets stripped a lot. Race, too.

I think Dunlop is a distant cousin of Ivan Renko.

Agree with most of this.

Miami is not a better team. They have one guard.

They simply wanted it more and busted ass to get it. IU seemed tired and ready to get on with life.
I don't understand this 'better team' stuff. Is Northwestern a better team than we are? Is Penn State?

It doesn't matter who has the most talent if that talent loses.

Sorry - any team that beats us twice this year is a better team, and we would be hard pressed to win 3 out of 10 games against Miami.

How badly do you need to get beat before you admit the other team is better?

I knew, from the first play when TJD didn't even attempt to block their shot, this team wasn't ready to play.

I swear, they were sleepwalking through the first half, woke up long enough to cut the lead and then take the lead, and then they just quit hustling.

Other teams are moving their feet, jockying for position on rebounds, hustling in general - not this team. They slow-walk everything unless they're on a fast break.

I've never been as frustrated with an IU team, and I've never seen a worse rebounding IU team - not even any other close to how bad this team was.

I'll be the heretic here - I'm not glad to see TJD go, but I won't miss him that much. We may finally get an offense that doesn't require him to play hero-ball (and I don't blame him for that) and make other people move instead of standing around. We will, for sure, miss his shot blocking ability, but he misses as many bunnies as he hits, and he's a turnover machine. Sorry - that's just the way I see it. Great guy, though - kid's going to do a lot beyond basketball.
Like most of your post, but unfortunately I've been just as disappointed with many of our teams since the Crean error began.

As to TJD, great guy, great representative of the U, but lacked leadership. A guy like Pickett from PSU wouldn't have put up with a lot of the stuff that went on with this team. Brilliant highlight film player, but he couldn't block out that 6'7" Miami forward....in that way, too soft for what this team needed. Or maybe he just got tired of carrying 12 other guys and the coach.

Reactions: DANC

Hustle, playing harder, and wanting it more are part of being a better team. At least, I’m including those factors when I say “they were the better team tonight”

Your last paragraph is exactly correct. Miami gave more effort. They wanted it more. Our urgency and effort the last three minutes pissed me off. Why not the same effort from start to finish of the game?
I really wonder, Woodson is 65 , back at IU with his office and RMK coming to practice , Wittman comes to practices . Maybe he is just comfortable back there and having his friends around. He just doesn't seem to have much energy as a coach to me.

I really wonder, Woodson is 65 , back at IU with his office and RMK coming to practice , Wittman comes to practices . Maybe he is just comfortable back there and having his friends around. He just doesn't seem to have much energy as a coach to me.

It's his way, some, too. Howabout that on the court interview last night?

"They complain too much."

Silence.

"This is big time b-ball."

Silence.

I loved it. Woody may not work out like we hoped, but he looks like a man out there, going about his business. Not doing his business on Twitter, etc. But a man of few words.

Reminds me a lot of Dan Dakich.

Like many, I wouldn't mind retiring to Btown too. My income will be quite a bit less than Woodson.

We’ve got one NCAA tournament win since 2016. One! We’ve got one sweet 16 in the last decade. One!

We can sit here and spam the board making fun of Purdue until we’re blue in the face, but we’ve got serious problems as well. They’ve won twice as many tournament games as we have while losing to those three double digit seeds.

I’m absolutely disgusted tonight. This tournament was for the taking and we lay a freaking egg to Miami. By two touchdowns! And this isn’t the Orange Bowl in the late 80s. When will this younger generations of our fanbase see any damn success? I’ll be grey at the pace we’re going.

Ugh. Next year going to be any better? Hopefully JHS returns. He could use another year.
We make fun of PU but they have won two championships this yr. We have none.

Like many, I wouldn't mind retiring to Btown too. My income will be quite a bit less than Woodson.

do it now.

as an active looker all over HNF, i see people are buying land at a steady pace. we want to retire down there on some acreage, maybe build over time. hasn't been easy thus far even w 2 dudes looking all over S Ind. i've noticed prices rising the past 2-3 years even for undeveloped land.

and the closer to Kentucky it is, the cheaper it is. Dumber too.

do it now.

as an active looker all over HNF, i see people are buying land at a steady pace. we want to retire down there on some acreage, maybe build over time. hasn't been easy thus far even w 2 dudes looking all over S Ind. i've noticed prices rising the past 2-3 years even for undeveloped land.

and the closer to Kentucky it is, the cheaper it is. Dumber too.
I have noticed that. A few years ago I started looking at land. Those prices have sure gone up.

Then we even started thinking of one of those new downtown condos. We liked the thought of walkability to restaurants and Farmers Market. With plenty of state and national forests I could get my nature fix for free.

Well the cost of those downtown condos has reached insane levels (in my book).

We will certainly see next year without an all american and a lottery pick he is going to have one heck of alot of evergy if we are going to make the tourney

Stonewalling the NCAA would've resulted in us getting the book thrown at us. We're not UNC or KAN, and the NCAA would not have looked the other way.
IU didn’t self report the violations. The NCAA informed IU of the alleged violations, then IU did an internal investigation and found that they did occur, though they disagreed about the lack of institutional control allegation. Sampson resigned and the NCAA banned him for 5 years. IU couldn’t have kept him even if they wanted to. They didn’t.

We’ve got one NCAA tournament win since 2016. One! We’ve got one sweet 16 in the last decade. One!

We can sit here and spam the board making fun of Purdue until we’re blue in the face, but we’ve got serious problems as well. They’ve won twice as many tournament games as we have while losing to those three double digit seeds.

I’m absolutely disgusted tonight. This tournament was for the taking and we lay a freaking egg to Miami. By two touchdowns! And this isn’t the Orange Bowl in the late 80s. When will this younger generations of our fanbase see any damn success? I’ll be grey at the pace we’re going.

Ugh. Next year going to be any better? Hopefully JHS returns. He could use another year.
I hope the "J" in your headline does not refer to Jesus.

Whether you like it or not it counts. It was the play in for 11 seed too, which I think is wrong to do. Make all the 16s play in instead.
If a team gets an automatic bid to the tournament, they have earned the right to play in the first round.

The play in games are designed to allow bubble teams to play each other and see who makes the tournament (the first round of the tournament).

If a team gets an automatic bid to the tournament, they have earned the right to play in the first round.

The play in games are designed to allow bubble teams to play each other and see who makes the tournament (the first round of the tournament).
First, it’s a fact that the games count as “in the tournament” and the win or loss goes on their tournament record. Second, a play in for 11 means those teams should be in as an 11 or 12 seed without the play in. The play in games should be for the 16s, because those teams are truly 16s or out.

First, it’s a fact that the games count as “in the tournament” and the win or loss goes on their tournament record. Second, a play in for 11 means those teams should be in as an 11 or 12 seed without the play in. The play in games should be for the 16s, because those teams are truly 16s or out.
You are entitled to your opinion. And I know I won’t change it.

Then why are they called play in games?

What are they playing to get into? The NCAA tournament 1st round.

You are entitled to your opinion. And I know I won’t change it.

Then why are they called play in games?

What are they playing to get into? The NCAA tournament 1st round.
They count as tournament games because they are. They are officially called the First Four, not play in games, and I shouldn’t have used that term. This is not my opinion this is a fact.

Still should be for the 16 spots, but that IS my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBing

How are you feeling today? As emotional as when you posted this? There are a lot of facts to consider. What you choose to focus on says a little about yourself. Maybe you can choose differently? Fact is, we were a dumpster fire from Archie’s doing. Hadn’t seen a tourney since 2016. Fact is, Woodson has improved us each of his first two years and gotten us to the tourney both years. Fact is, he got us further in the B1G tourney than we have been in some time (meh, not a big deal). Fact is, Woodson is a good coach. Now can he take us where we want to be?

Several people here have prayed to have a coach as good as Painter in recent years. And Woodson has changed that. People want more again. Guy has earned a chance to continue to work his magic. He gets one stumble (next year). And it better not be a big one. Those calling for his head are morons (yep my opinion and I stand by it).

Based on all the posts I have read, if he makes the tourney next year, he should get a lifetime appointment. If he does make the tourney next year, he most definitely deserves another couple of years. If he doesn’t, he deserves another. If things aren’t trending great, then it is fair to heavily question his employment. But what we need right now is to consistently be in the conversation. Each year the shiny new toy shows itself, and I don’t have the mentality of a 2yo like half the posters I’m on this board. That is all…

It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. We have way too many people that don’t know the difference between opinions and facts on this board.
You can't argue with a fool. If they'd take the time to google the 22 ncaa tournament record they see it starts with the "First Four" games. The NCAA considers it a win but it doesn't fit certain posters on here agenda., They can argue all they want but as long as the NCAA recognizes it's a win that proof enough for me,

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. We have way too many people that don’t know the difference between opinions and facts on this board.
Relax there chief. I’m saying it’s a tourney win. First 4 in counts as a tourney win. People who say it doesn’t have an argument to some extent, if you want to go based on the original 64 are in.

Relax there chief. I’m saying it’s a tourney win. First 4 in counts as a tourney win. People who say it doesn’t have an argument to some extent, if you want to go based on the original 64 are in.
The original tournament was 32 teams. By that logic the entire first round doesn’t count

Reactions: MrBing
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT