ADVERTISEMENT

The decision to call a TO with 35 seconds left in the half.....

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Writing about this in another thread got me crazed again.....

Why in the world would you do that? We had managed to stop an RU drive and were in position to go into the half tied. a pretty good result, all things considered.

The only reason I can think of is in case the punter drops the punt or the hike sails over his head....to have some time to score.

It makes no sense for this STs unit to attempt to block a kick. Have we come close to one this year? If we tried, which is more likely.....a BK, or a roughing call?

So....the punter doesn't drop the ball, the ball is not hiked over his head, and we don't go after the block.

So.....no problem....I'm sure CTA has told JL not to even attempt to catch a punt in the swirling wind, as there is no upside to doing so.

Damn.

If CTA had said something to the team and JL at half to the effect of "Guys, I'm sorry I called that TO. That was flat out stupid, but the D bailed me out. Now let's go win this game" maybe the D would have responded the first drive after the half.

The TO makes sense only if in full return mode hoping JL can break one, or going for a full block where JL should have run out of bounds as soon as the ball was in the air. Then again I wouldn't trust our guys not to rough the punter.

At least made more sense than the TO in the 3Q on 1st and goal when all our players at least were on the line (even though confused about where to be). How can you be this bad at game management in year 7?

Yeah, I'm okay with the timeout before half. You're able to take a deep shot or two to try and get into at least FG range. I'd say that's a pretty conventional decision. It didn't work out, clearly. But I think most coaches make that call. And I think CTA would have gotten roasted if he hadn't made that call and let the half wind down without putting up a fight. I certainly don't think posters here would have his back for it. It'd be another example of playing not to lose like the OSU game.

Yeah, I'm okay with the timeout before half. You're able to take a deep shot or two to try and get into at least FG range. I'd say that's a pretty conventional decision. It didn't work out, clearly. But I think most coaches make that call. And I think CTA would have gotten roasted if he hadn't made that call and let the half wind down without putting up a fight. I certainly don't think posters here would have his back for it. It'd be another example of playing not to lose like the OSU game.
Agree. No way Lucas should have been anywhere near that ball with so many defenders closing in on him, and if a coach told him so, that's on him, but at some point, it all comes back to coaching.

Writing about this in another thread got me crazed again.....

Why in the world would you do that? We had managed to stop an RU drive and were in position to go into the half tied. a pretty good result, all things considered.

The only reason I can think of is in case the punter drops the punt or the hike sails over his head....to have some time to score.

It makes no sense for this STs unit to attempt to block a kick. Have we come close to one this year? If we tried, which is more likely.....a BK, or a roughing call?

So....the punter doesn't drop the ball, the ball is not hiked over his head, and we don't go after the block.

So.....no problem....I'm sure CTA has told JL not to even attempt to catch a punt in the swirling wind, as there is no upside to doing so.

Damn.

If CTA had said something to the team and JL at half to the effect of "Guys, I'm sorry I called that TO. That was flat out stupid, but the D bailed me out. Now let's go win this game" maybe the D would have responded the first drive after the half.
20/20 hindsight is such a wonderful thing. 99% of coaches in America would have done the exact same thing. You do not plan on an All-American return guy muffing a punt. If so then you would never put anyone back there. However this IU football so I guess you should expect the worst.

That timeout wasn't inappropriate.

The one he frantically called, sprinting down the sideline, when Rutgers got a first down, at the 1 yard line, when we had our normal defense on the field, the correct number of players, et...is the one that shines as an example that he isn't a suitable head football coach... to me anyway.

That timeout wasn't inappropriate.

The one he frantically called, sprinting down the sideline, when Rutgers got a first down, at the 1 yard line, when we had our normal defense on the field, the correct number of players, et...is the one that shines as an example that he isn't a suitable head football coach... to me anyway.
Just wonder how do you feel about Marcus Freeman and his staff that had 10 guys on the field 2 straight plays including the play that OSU scored on to win?

Just wonder how do you feel about Marcus Freeman and his staff that had 10 guys on the field 2 straight plays including the play that OSU scored on to win?
That was bad. Didn't they come out of their last timeout with 10 and then weren't prepared to send the 11th on for the last play? Inexcusable. They still almost made the stop, and certainly would have considering OSU ran to the defective side on the last play.

Reactions: midwolfe
20/20 hindsight is such a wonderful thing. 99% of coaches in America would have done the exact same thing. You do not plan on an All-American return guy muffing a punt. If so then you would never put anyone back there. However this IU football so I guess you should expect the worst.
I fully agree with the timeout there...... however, why would you not go after the punt? Even if IU gets a penalty there, Rutgers is zero threat throwing the ball so the half would be basically over worst case.

Well, people on NDNation football board wanted the Count from Sesame Street played on a continuous loop during practices the following week.

• Haha
If I were an ND fan...I wouldn't be overly happy about it.

But completely different situations. Did ND have any timeouts left?

If I were an ND fan...I wouldn't be overly happy about it.

But completely different situations. Did ND have any timeouts left?
Not on the last play. I think they used their last one on the play before and came out of the timeout with 10. Still didn't run another guy out there, not sure why. Freeman has seemed a little out of his league at times, but I hope he figures it out and does well for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT