ADVERTISEMENT

Jerome Hunter

McRoberts should never sniff the starting lineup with the roster we have for next year whether Romeo comes or not. Play Hunter, Anderson, and the other young guys.
You play who helps you win. Period. And McRoberts will likely help us more than the freshmen.

Remember this time last year when everyone was saying Moore would be our starting Center by Big Ten season? These freshmen haven’t proven anything yet. Every year we overhype them and typically they’re not ready day 1.

My only beef with Davis is he can't be the plodder that I think he is...like Haas is (since we're comparing him).

Right he's slow and is a defensive liability, especially when drawn away from the basket. Tires too easily and doesn't have the lower body strength or energy to maintain balance. decent footwork, good upper body strength but needs explosiveness.

Yup he has weakness but .... do I really need to say the rest?

All he needs to do is improve his lower body strength, conditioning and those things improve. His problems are fixable..

I know you at least understand this .. 76% shots at the rim, 70% FG on those shots, while drawing 4.23 fouls per 40 and 9.2 FTA, and only turning it over at a 7% ratio while using 24% of possessions and scoring 20 per 40 .. those are exceptional stats for any post in this era especially when combined

Basically, he gets the ball in the lane (a lot), he scores when he does (a lot), draws fouls at a high rate, and never turns the ball over. He's not an NBA player, and may never be, but those are signs of a damn good college post.

Last edited:
Hoping Davis comes back healthy because he makes IU better and puts them a step closer to where they need to be as a team.

The big picture goal is simple: Get enough out of a rotation of Davis, Moore and Forrester at the five to reduce the need for Morgan to play it. That will boost Morgan's game on both ends because he will not have to battle guys much bigger than him all game.

What do you need out of that group of three? If they combine for 4.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 0.6 blocks per game it matches what McSwain did last season. They can beat that.

Another comparison: If they find a way to combine for 8.9 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per game, that matches what Purdue got out of Haas and Haarms last season. Granted, I do not expect them to combine for 19.5 points per game like H&H did, but they do not need to for IU to be successful.

It comes down to them being able to defend and rebound without fouling every play. There is no guarantee they will all three be ready to contribute, but if things break IU's way it offers a new element IU has not had in a long time - multiple options to rotate in and out. Anything they score is icing on the cake. But having 15 fouls to work with in the post does nothing but help Morgan and that makes IU better.

Neither is Morgan. Neither was McSwain. Neither was Hartman over multiple seasons. All three ended up trying to guard the other team's center/power forward. If Moore is going to see the floor at 6/10 and 220 or higher, he's going to end up guarding a five. I wouldn't get caught up in semantics.

Neither is Morgan. Neither was McSwain. Neither was Hartman over multiple seasons. All three ended up trying to guard the other team's center/power forward. If Moore is going to see the floor at 6/10 and 220 or higher, he's going to end up guarding a five. I wouldn't get caught up in semantics.
Some people see "center" and automatically think of offense only and picture someone that camps in the lane and only takes shots from 2' or less.

Hoping Davis comes back healthy because he makes IU better and puts them a step closer to where they need to be as a team.

The big picture goal is simple: Get enough out of a rotation of Davis, Moore and Forrester at the five to reduce the need for Morgan to play it. That will boost Morgan's game on both ends because he will not have to battle guys much bigger than him all game.

What do you need out of that group of three? If they combine for 4.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 0.6 blocks per game it matches what McSwain did last season. They can beat that.

Another comparison: If they find a way to combine for 8.9 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per game, that matches what Purdue got out of Haas and Haarms last season. Granted, I do not expect them to combine for 19.5 points per game like H&H did, but they do not need to for IU to be successful.

It comes down to them being able to defend and rebound without fouling every play. There is no guarantee they will all three be ready to contribute, but if things break IU's way it offers a new element IU has not had in a long time - multiple options to rotate in and out. Anything they score is icing on the cake. But having 15 fouls to work with in the post does nothing but help Morgan and that makes IU better.

Why are you hoping Davis can avg 4.2 ppg?

If he's healthy he averages 10+.

Reactions: MrBing
Why are you hoping Davis can avg 4.2 ppg?

If he's healthy he averages 10+.

I'm not hoping for 4.2. I'm saying if the three of them can even do that, it's at least what McSwain provided, and I added that they can beat that. If Davis is healthy, he can get that himself. As an IU fan I'm hoping all three of them average more than that. And if all three can defend and rebound, IU is much stronger as a team.

I'm not hoping for 4.2. I'm saying if the three of them can even do that, it's at least what McSwain provided, and I added that they can beat that. If Davis is healthy, he can get that himself. As an IU fan I'm hoping all three of them average more than that. And if all three can defend and rebound, IU is much stronger as a team.

Well, I'm an IU fan too. But, Moore and Forrester aren't averaging 4.2+ next year. Unless we're talking mpg.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
You play who helps you win. Period. And McRoberts will likely help us more than the freshmen.

Remember this time last year when everyone was saying Moore would be our starting Center by Big Ten season? These freshmen haven’t proven anything yet. Every year we overhype them and typically they’re not ready day 1.

If McRoberts is starting and playing more than half the game, we are nowhere closer to the NCAAT than we were last year! He should be a "glue" guy who gives us 10-12 minutes off the bench

Reactions: IUgradman
Wondering if people are viewing and predicting next season through the lens of the Crean-era. If so, that's a mistake.

If McRoberts, or anyone else for that matter, is starting and playing significant minutes next season it will be because they earned it. The days of IU having little to no options are over. Play hard and play well or ride the pine. If McRoberts is not playing it better be because someone else is outplaying him.

In general, McRoberts has potential. He clearly can play D and at his size he is versatile. If he works hard and adds offense to his game, he should play. He actually shot the three at 39% (small sample), which is acceptable if not spectacular. That was best on the team last season. I certainly wouldn't write him off.

If McRoberts is starting and playing more than half the game, we are nowhere closer to the NCAAT than we were last year! He should be a "glue" guy who gives us 10-12 minutes off the bench
I agree. But if he’s the best option (which I don’t think he will be) you start him. You don’t just play young players because they’re young. You play to win every game.

And hopefully that means McRoberts gives us less than 10 energy minutes off the bench. A lot of unknowns currently.

Lmfao who would start Mcroberts over Davis or any body else. Don't quit your day jobs.
Any body else?

You think McRoberts is the worst player on the team? Worse than Moore?

I agree if Davis is healthy he’s a no brainer over McR

Geez, with Priller we were always pretty sure who the worst player on the team was. Now it's impossible to say and it may still be hard to say half way into the season.

With 10 more fouls to use among those 3, too.

IU loses 4 of the top 10 contributors from last season and there are either 5 or 6 new players coming in.

The only question is how many of the new faces will file into the top 10. Moore was not a top 10 contributor so he really has his work cut out for him. If Davis is healthy, Moore probably will be battling with Thompson and Forrester for minutes.

Hunter is probably battling McRoberts and Anderson for minutes.

Forrester is going to prove a lot of people wrong this year

I'm not a pessimist, but a realist. What exactly do people think they've seen in Forrester, that has them so excited? The most pedestrian stats I recall for one of our recruits (11ppg, 9rpg?). I've seen his videos and I see a solid player, but nothing exceptional. OK hops, OK quickness, needs to add weight although he does appear to have OK strength. I've seen people (his Dad) try and talk him up to 6'10", but he's listed at 6'8" and again, from videos that seems right. He may be a solid 4 year player, and I hope he can step in and help this year, but I don't see anything that points to that. So, what am I missing?

I'm not a pessimist, but a realist. What exactly do people think they've seen in Forrester, that has them so excited? The most pedestrian stats I recall for one of our recruits (11ppg, 9rpg?). I've seen his videos and I see a solid player, but nothing exceptional. OK hops, OK quickness, needs to add weight although he does appear to have OK strength. I've seen people (his Dad) try and talk him up to 6'10", but he's listed at 6'8" and again, from videos that seems right. He may be a solid 4 year player, and I hope he can step in and help this year, but I don't see anything that points to that. So, what am I missing?
He is a big man that already has a feel for the game. I don't think he will ever be a star, but I think he will make an impact right away. Defensively he fits exactly the versatility Archie wants in a big man moreso than anyone on the current roster. He's Long, rangy, has shot blocking instincts. Don't just go by high school stats either, he was on the same team as Cam Reddish who took every shot and never threw the ball inside. Stats, particularly at prep schools don't always tell the whole story. You heard it here first, he might never be a star but he will get minutes and make an impact right away.

I wouldn't put to much into his scoring average since he had Cam Reddish a top 3 player taking a lot of shots for their team.

In September, his coach at Westtown said Forrester is 6'9 pushing 6'10. Jake confirmed it in an interview late in the season.

Like a lot of high school bigs he will need to fill out, but IU has shown they can help kids if they are willing to put in the work.

What I've read says Forrester is athletic (springs in his legs), runs well, likes to rebound, and can knock down outside shots. Take it with a grain of salt and hope that translates at the college level.

Even if he and Moore are projects for a couple more years, it's nice to have them waiting in the wings. The saying is true, you can't teach 6'10.

if he and Moore are projects for a couple more years, it's nice to have them waiting in the wings. The saying is true, you can't teach 6'10.
Honestly with Forrester and the other bigs Archie is recruiting going forward, Moore is going to have to make a big jump or he won't see the court. I know he's got potential but to me he looks like a lot of the other bigs Crean brought in over the years, lost.

Crean recruited on athleticism and diamond in the rough potential, Archie is recruiting kids with high bball iqs that know the game. Going forward this will pay off.

I wouldn't put to much into his scoring average since he had Cam Reddish a top 3 player taking a lot of shots for their team.

Hope you guys are right and I've heard the Cam Reddish theory ad naseum. Did Cam also grab every rebound? I think if I'm 6'10" and playing mostly in the paint, 9rpg would be the minimum I'd get if I had college aspirations, let alone D1. I guess it is a 32 minute game at that level, but again, that doesn't blow me away. I've also heard folks talk about how good a comp he's playing, but regardless, it's going to be a big step up this coming season. Hope he's as ready as most seem to think, but as a freshman, I'll wait to see.

Hope you guys are right and I've heard the Cam Reddish theory ad naseum. Did Cam also grab every rebound? I think if I'm 6'10" and playing mostly in the paint, 9rpg would be the minimum I'd get if I had college aspirations, let alone D1. I guess it is a 32 minute game at that level, but again, that doesn't blow me away. I've also heard folks talk about how good a comp he's playing, but regardless, it's going to be a big step up this coming season. Hope he's as ready as most seem to think, but as a freshman, I'll wait to see.
I was once completely against the pickup, seeing as he was just a 3 star and I thought we were good on forwards. When I actually started to watch him play I was impressed with his defensive instincts and his ability to rebound. Offensively he doesn't have a ton of skill yet, I've seen a few spin moves but nothing that suggests a big time scorer right away. Maybe 6 ppg or so just on putbacks or catching and dunking. Maybe he can learn a few things from Juwan Morgan.

Last edited:
He is a big man that already has a feel for the game. I don't think he will ever be a star, but I think he will make an impact right away. Defensively he fits exactly the versatility Archie wants in a big man moreso than anyone on the current roster. He's Long, rangy, has shot blocking instincts. Don't just go by high school stats either, he was on the same team as Cam Reddish who took every shot and never threw the ball inside. Stats, particularly at prep schools don't always tell the whole story. You heard it here first, he might never be a star but he will get minutes and make an impact right away.
If he does make any impact it is because our talent level is not up to standard.. Hopefully he transfers and we land a solid 4 star in 2019.

I was once completely against the pickup, seeing as he was just a 3 star and I thought we were good on forwards. When I actually started to watch him play I was impressed with his defensive instincts and his ability to rebound. Offensively he doesn't have a ton of skill yet, I've seen a few spin moves but nothing that suggests a big time scorer right away. Maybe 6 ppg or so just on putbacks or catching and dunking. Maybe he can learn a few things from Juwan Morgan.

He'll focus on D and rebounding as a frosh and will get 5-10 minutes a game, maybe more toward the end of the year.

He'll be better than Moore right off the bat.

It doesn’t really matter who starts. Archie will have several combinations of lineups that he can use within the game depending on the opponent. Example:

Lineup 1:
Green
Romeo
Hunter
Juwan
Davis

Lineup 2:
Green
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Juwan

Lineup 3:
Phinisee
Romeo
Smith
Juwan
Davis
I always thought if I coached at the college level, I would start guys that can score quickly and don't need to get warmed up first. They wouldn't have to log the most minutes, but they can make plays on offense or focus on their big scorer to lock them down early. Players that don't turn the ball over would be my second and probably most important criteria.

I didn't keep track of it, but for too long, we have had a tendency to turn the ball over on our first possession. Too often it has been the same player.

Picking the starting guards won't be too difficult, but we have to see who we have on the roster first. The depth people are talking about consists of a red shirt player and several freshman we have never seen play at this level. Smith, Morgan, and Davis would be my guess to start in he front court. We might find a smaller, quicker lineup is more effective to start and add a guard and remove Davis or Smith.

He's really raw skills wise and probably won't play until his junior year. I doubt many have seen him play a full game, they probably just like his name or something. You're not missing anything.

Morgan / Davis / Forrester / Thompson
Smith / McRoberts / Thompson
Hunter / Anderson
Romeo / Anderson / Grad Transfer SG * / Durham / V. Blackmon
Phinesee / Green / Durham / Anderson / V. Blackmon

In HS I saw Damezi Anderson get the ball in his hands at the top of the key as a Point Forward and SM Riley let him create, drive, shoot, pass. Anderson was a load to handle with his size and strength and ball handling/shooting/passing skills. Anderson is a very good passer, rebounder, and shot blocker, and a streaky shooter. Most of his misses were way beyond the NBA 3pt line. When Anderson shot it from 20 feet in, he was money, and could finish strong at the rim with his strength and athletic mobility.

The Freshmen and newcomers are going to play a very big role in the success of next season's Hoosiers!

Last edited:

First? Umm, I've been hearing that a ton, which is why I posted to begin with! Like I said, I hope everyone's right, but I just typically take a pessimistic view towards freshman. On a brighter note, I listened to a podcast this weekend and had forgotten how high Race Thompson was rated in his class. That talent, coupled with a year in the system and conditioning, and he MAY be a guy that can help this year!

Reactions: HoosierAlice
If he does make any impact it is because our talent level is not up to standard.. Hopefully he transfers and we land a solid 4 star in 2019.

Hopefully a kid who has committed to IU during this transition period and is a 4 star recruit, transfers before he's even played a minute or set foot on campus?

Dude, that's f'd up. Hopefully he blossoms as a 4 year player, and your thought processes progress as much! Hope that was TIC, but didn't sound that way.

There is no guarantee Davis will play this year. Sitting a year to allow him to recover strength in his lower body isn't out of the question. He isn't the most athletic and strong person when healthy and will need time to get back to full strength. Why not let him get healthy and spend a year getting stronger?

Forrester is probably not going to play much and Moore will have to improve a lot to play in the post. Our starter in the post is just as likely to be Thompson. Since we have never seen Thompson play, we have no idea how if he is ready. Morgan. Smith, and McRoberts are the only front court players we know are prepared to start day one.

He's really raw skills wise and probably won't play until his junior year. I doubt many have seen him play a full game, they probably just like his name or something. You're not missing anything.
LOL. Isn't that the book on Moore who is already labeled a bust.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT