ADVERTISEMENT

Jerome Hunter

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
I think this kid will be a good player. Everything I've seen of him tells me he is a very solid shooter with the height to get his shots off, he finishes really well, especially on the left side, and he has range with decent hops. Also, he has played with and around good players and good competition in high school and is the #2 player out of Ohio.

I expect he will be a capable scorer in the 6-10ppg range as a freshman.

Reactions: 76-1
I think this kid will be a good player. Everything I've seen of him tells me he is a very solid shooter with the height to get his shots off, he finishes really well, especially on the left side, and he has range with decent hops. Also, he has played with and around good players and good competition in high school and is the #2 player out of Ohio.

Not sure on his shooting ability, but he is a scorer. Dont listen to what I said, though. I’ve only seen him once. If he can provide JS type production I’ll be happy

Reactions: IUgradman

I don’t see him starting next year. We will start in my opinion.
Phinnisee
Green
Smith
Morgan
Thompson

Romeo starts if he comes

Phinnisee
Green
Smith
Morgan
Thompson

Romeo starts if he comes

I would be surprised if Thompson starts and more surprised if he starts instead of Hunter.

If Davis is healthy, he will start along with Morgan, Smith, and Green. But I would not be surprised if Hunter were to start some when they want to have big wing defenders.

I would be surprised if Thompson starts and more surprised if he starts instead of Hunter.

If Davis is healthy, he will start along with Morgan, Smith, and Green. But I would not be surprised if Hunter were to start some when they want to have big wing defenders.
Do we not decide the starters by who practices the best?

Phinnisee
Green
Smith
Morgan
Thompson

Romeo starts if he comes
I don't think Phinnisee and Green can both start as one pretty much has to be on the floor at all times. I could be wrong of course but an athletic team will press or at the very least extend their defense to exploit that weakness. We need another good guard. Hopefully someone steps up.

Reactions: kkott
I love Justin, particularly his upside, but the word on the street is Hunter is better in pretty much all phases, particularly from the perimeter.

Of course Justin has a year up on him.

If Smith can develop a confident jump shot (the one he has is georgeous, he goes straight up and releases it at the top of his jump) then holy Shee it...he'll be a great college player.

I love Justin, particularly his upside, but the word on the street is Hunter is better in pretty much all phases, particularly from the perimeter.

Of course Justin has a year up on him.

If Smith can develop a confident jump shot (the one he has is georgeous, he goes straight up and releases it at the top of his jump) then holy Shee it...he'll be a great college player.
I think they play different positions.

Last edited:
I don't think Phinnisee and Green can both start as one pretty much has to be on the floor at all times. I could be wrong of course but an athletic team will press or at the very least extend their defense to exploit that weakness. We need another good guard. Hopefully someone steps up.
Regardless of Romeo we need another guard on the roster

Hunter mentioned playing SG in an interview during the season. Not sure if that is what CAM has in mind or just Hunter's preference but it made sense, especially if RL were to go some place else.

Reactions: minneman
That's what happens when you have a coach who actually knows how to build one.
It seemed like a dumb statement but once you lay it out there is a ton of potential with or without Romeo. In a year or two this team is going to be really good, It's amazing what shaving the roster from the Prillers, Newkirks, and even the Mcswains can actually do.

Last edited:
I hope he is healthy. With Davis we will start Green, Romeo, McRoberts, Juwan, Davis.
I know his type of injury has a long recovery period. I'm sure he was at the WNIT and out in the public. Is he still in a boot or has anyone commented on what he is able to do at this point? I sort of remember his rehab would continue until the start or practice. I could see him starting the season on the bench or starting with a limit on his minutes. If so, there are a lot of candidates to play in the final spot. It could even be a 3rd guard TBD.

I think the starting lineup next year will be
Green
Romeo
Smith
Morgan
Davis or if we go smaller Hunter

I thought you wanted Green to transfer. Kidding aside.

I think Davis returning to health and Morgan staying healthy next year is a huge key to IU. It's great the roster now has depth at forward. Still a lot of the bigs are young. What is they are not as ready as Frosh as say Phinnisee at PG. If Romeo comes, I still would not be surprised to see 3 guards on the floor at times. Romeo is listed at 6'5" and from what I've seen streaming games he will go battle in the paint. I'm sure he can play some SF at the college level.

No idea who starts beyond Morgan. If RL signs it seems likely he will start but the rest is up for grabs. As some have mentioned, it will come down to who is playing well in practice and that is a pleasant change.

I can't recall the last time IU had this much depth to work with. You are going to have to bring it in practice to get on the floor.

Did not see it posted here but a pic of Al Durham was released a couple days ago and it was similar to the Race Thompson pic. If nothing else, the guys are putting in the work to get physically ready. If we can see the same result from Clifton Moore and/or Davis, things really start to pick up.

No idea who starts beyond Morgan. If RL signs it seems likely he will start but the rest is up for grabs. As some have mentioned, it will come down to who is playing well in practice and that is a pleasant change.

I can't recall the last time IU had this much depth to work with. You are going to have to bring it in practice to get on the floor.

Did not see it posted here but a pic of Al Durham was released a couple days ago and it was similar to the Race Thompson pic. If nothing else, the guys are putting in the work to get physically ready. If we can see the same result from Clifton Moore and/or Davis, things really start to pick up.
Depth? We have no guard depth at all

Depth? We have no guard depth at all

I did not specify guards. I think most would agree this team has more depth than the past two seasons easy and more than most of Tom Crean's IU teams.

Example - instead of JM and a 6'4 guy in his second season playing the post, they will have multiple options at 6'8 and taller. Some of it depends on health and most of it is young, but it's still more than what they had.

Specific to guard, they currently do not have depth but they may by the time the season starts. After DG and AD you have at least one freshman in RP and hopefully another in RL. Add a grad transfer and then things start to look better. Also, Hunter likely will (and Anderson might) get some time at SG. If things work right they can have depth at guard.

Reactions: echs86
Regardless of Romeo we need another guard on the roster
I've thought (and still do) the same. That said, I just saw an interview with Hunter where he takes about being able to play the 2 or 3 and how much work he's done on his ball handling. With Romeo that would give the team 5 players that can play guard positions

Reactions: echs86
It doesn’t really matter who starts. Archie will have several combinations of lineups that he can use within the game depending on the opponent. Example:

Lineup 1:
Green
Romeo
Hunter
Juwan
Davis

Lineup 2:
Green
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Juwan

Lineup 3:
Phinisee
Romeo
Smith
Juwan
Davis

It seemed like a dumb statement but once you lay it out there is a ton of potential with or without Romeo. In a year or two this team is going to be really good, It's amazing what shaving the roster from the Prillers, Newkirks, and even the Mcswains can actually do.

Wait...I thought we played position-less basketball. That's how teams get to the bubble right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT